Author Topic: Mala "Spotted Eagle" Pope & Nanish Shontie  (Read 63560 times)

Offline educatedindian

• Administrator
Mala "Spotted Eagle" Pope & Nanish Shontie
« on: May 16, 2006, 09:37:23 pm »
We had a long debate about them in the old NAFPS yahoo group. After first appearing to be an outright fraud outfit, eventually most of us thought they were sincere but naive, trying to start an "elders center" in the middle of Oregon near all the yuppies into enviro concerns. They actually got the support of a few Navajo and Western Shoshone elders, like Corbin Haney. Mala Pope managed to convince us of their good intentions by pointing to, for exmple, that they no longer associated with several frauds pretending to be Hopi elders like Catherine Cheshire. He claimed Cheshire tried to take over and failed, but was running their website without their permission. His son Red Sparrow Pope ("Rolling Thunder's" grandson) even gave us detailed information on several frauds that we used in a warning. At that point my main objection was how they were draining away funds for other Native causes for this rather foolish "education center" for yuppies.

Now, with these reports of Mala Pope assaulting and abusing women, it looks like our worst fears came true. Even John Pope at his worst never did anything close to this bad. John Pope played upon hippie fantasies about NDNs, but he also did some good work for the Western Shoshone, helped them on some issues. But I never heard about him abusing followers like Mala Pope is accused of doing.

Offline educatedindian

• Administrator
Re: Mala "Spotted Eagle" Pope & Nanish Shontie
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2006, 10:06:14 pm »
Warnings received about Mala Pope.

-----
koso with
Date: Mon May 15, 2006  1:16 pm
Subject: Abuse warning Tonight Leo received a message from a woman who has worked for Mala Spotted Eagle for over 7 years advising him (Leo) that she no longer will have anything to do with Mala and asking him to PLEASE help stop Mala from having any more ceremonies here in Holland.  At one time this woman had planned on moving to Oregon to live at the center there and has always been one of his greatest supporters
Mala has been recently been accused of severe intimidate of many women.  It seems that he forced several women to allow him to performed IK "healings" on them - this resulted in charges of abuse by 4 women, two of these women have also filed charges of rape.  According to her there is one women in intensive psychological therapy in Austria due to this abuse. This woman is very terrified of what he is going to do to her.  He threatened that if any of them ever told what happened  terrible things would happen to them.

Mala is now forbidden to attend the Dunja festival in Rotterdam due to other charges here in Holland, and apparently there is an ongoing police investigation about him due to complaints by several women at the Veneta County fair in Oregon.  

This woman and several other have asked Leo to call them as they are afraid to even write some of what they want to tell.  I will pass on what we find out later.

Franci

-----
"Leo Van Kints"
Date: Tue May 16, 2006  8:07 am
Subject: RE: [ENAF] Re: Abuse
If you want to know more about what is (and has been) going on in Oregon, then you can email [name withheld] through the contact form on the NANAI site...
I had a long talk with her on the phone and she feels really guilty for promoting this guy for such a long time. All those years she gave him the benefit of the doubt, while she was noticing strange things in his camp and it was clear that he used all the money he received from donors, including the Belgium King Boudewijn Fund, for himself. His wife appears to be as scared of him as many others. She just has (had) to accept that he is doing mass ceremonies with 25 women.
Brrrr, what a creep.
groetjes
Leo
-----
koso with"
Date: Tue May 16, 2006  8:25 am
Subject: RE: [ENAF] Re: Abuse warningMala is a good example of the problems with fakes and abusers.  Like so many of these fake healers, his control over the people around him is so total that it is hard to get anyone to speak out against him.  He surround himself with the illusion of support from people like Corbin, but who knows if Corbin really supports him or not.  With so many people in Indian country playing the I'm more Indian than you I know I didn't want to go into his personal life without due cause. Perhaps it is now time. I see that he is blaming his own son for all of the money he is stealing from his donors....

Marlon

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2007, 11:22:58 pm »

This is very distubing. I just took him off line.

Thanks.

nagualita

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2007, 03:43:07 am »
I met Mala Spotted Eagle in Oregon about 4 years ago.  He is an egotistical maniac and a phony who doesn't have an ounce of spirituality in him.  He is a back-stabber and he is extremely prejudiced.  I'm not surprised that he is being charged with crimes against women, his entire reality is to use and abuse people.  I have never felt so dirty as I did after meeting this man.  His family, wife Sky and son, are like his little puppets.  He calls himself an elder, a medicine man, a healer and is none of these things.

« Last Edit: August 12, 2007, 04:00:36 am by nagualita »

Offline One Moon

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2007, 08:49:32 am »
 ::)I know Malla. The allegations against him were false, a total lie. The woman who started the lies did so after he fired her from a job, and later she admitted to me the allegations were false. There  were never any charges ever brought against him. 8)

Offline Moma_porcupine

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2007, 04:58:31 pm »
One Moon
If you are saying this , presumably you either know the woman you are saying started this rumor , or you know Mala Pope , or you know someone who knows these people .

People reading your statement have no idea who you , are or how credible your statment is .

If what you are saying is true , the woman who started this rumor needs to make a determined effort to clear Mala Pope's name .

She needs to contact Leo Van Kints and prove she is the same woman who spoke to him previously . She needs to convince him that she has not been intimidated into retracting her accusations , and that what she previously told him is not true .

Leo then needs to publish that this woman retracted her accusations and that he is convinced she did this without having been intimidated to do so.

If you feel Mala Pope has been wrongly accused , and you want to clear his name, that is fine , but you need to do a lot better job of this than coming on a message board with an unverifiable story as an anonymus person . For all we know you could be Mala Pope or someone who has promoted him and who doesn't want to admit they were wrong .

The people who have passed on these serious allegations have used their real name and can be verified to be who they are. They obviously beleived what they passed on to be true , and were willing to stand behind their words . If you want to counterbalance this , you also need to provide the names of people who can be verified to be real , credible , and who can be contacted . It would also help if the people you name who can counter these accusations, could be shown to have no personal intrest in supporting or promoting Mala Pope, and if these named people could be verified to be respected within the Native community . 

If Mala Pope has been wrongly accused , I admire and support your efforts to clear his name , but you really need top do a better job , than an anonymus post on a message board .

Offline educatedindian

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2007, 04:47:33 am »
It's important to note that "one moon" didn't even seem to bother to read what the charges were against Pope. One woman did not accuse him, four separate women did. Two filed charges, one is in therapy for the harm done to her. As far as I know, none of them ever worked for Pope. One of them did work *with* Pope(not for him), helping him with what she at the time believed to be a legit Native cause. She no longer does.

I'll see if I can find out anything more.

Offline Moma_porcupine

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2007, 02:54:07 pm »
There is also Patrick Quinn's reports of having talked to many woman , who alleged similar experiences in North America .

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.org.earth-first/browse_thread/thread/0364240aa43a0086/227c780551a3a3ad

This has been recently posted on a number of message boards . If this was only one woman who was responsible for this story , and she has taken it back , why is this story still being spread by someone who claims to have spoken to more than one person ?

In the thread on Thomas Lightening bolt and the thread on Harner it is mentioned that the moderators suspect One Moon is John Lekay . Which seems likely as One Moon seems to have similar concerns.   

Someone who sometimes identifies themselves as John Lekay , starting Thursday Aug 30th, 2007 8:40 AM , has gone off on a strangely lopsided crusade for justice for Mala Pope. This begins towards the bottom of the comment section in the article in the URL below.

http://www.indybay.org/newsitems/2007/08/06/18439218.php?show_comments=1#18440799

I suppose it is an improvement to trying to smear everyone involved in trying to educate people about the protection of ceremonies .

It sounds like before yesterday, Lekay hadn't even bothered to talk to anyone except Mala Pope.

In his comment posted yesterday, Lekay said he is now going to contact Leo Van Kint , but he still refuses to talk to Patrick Quinn who he says has no credibility. As he hasn't talked to Patrick, I don't see how he can know this.

It seems Lekay believes the damage done to the small minority of people who are wrongly accused of sexual misconduct, far out weighs the benefits of warning potential victims.  Lekay is also frequently reminding people that an allegation that can't be proven in a court of law is "libel".

I guess this is the newest strategy of abusers to intimidate victims of abuse into silence . There is a disturbing  article about this , in the link below.

http://www.owjn.org/issues/assault/offence.htm
« Last Edit: September 04, 2007, 02:22:42 am by Moma_porcupine »

Offline educatedindian

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2007, 05:02:05 am »
The first link you posted has some pretty important information. I'm reposting it in whole.

Interesting claim of Mala Pope that he's a "third generation medicine man." When Trish talked to his son Red Sparrow Pope awhile back, he never claimed his grandfather John Pope ("Rolling Thunder") was a medicine man, instead calling him a ceremonial leader.

Mala Pope is Western Shoshone by his mother, but if he isn't claiming to be part of them anymore, then he must have alienated them pretty badly.

------
RED ALERT - MALA "SPOTTED EAGLE" POPE Options

FirstNationsFi...@gmail.com    View profile
  More options Aug 14, 9:16 pm 

Newsgroups: alt.org.earth-first
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2007 01:16:17 -0000
Local: Tues, Aug 14 2007 9:16 pm
Subject: RED ALERT - MALA "SPOTTED EAGLE" POPE

http://www.indybay.org/newsitems/2007/08/06/18439218.php

Please help First Nations people by circulating this widely:

begin quote
---------------------------------------------------------------------------­--------------------------------
RED ALERT: Mala Spotted Eagle Pope and the Nanish Shontie SCAM

I was in Tucson in 2001 and I saw Mala Spotted Eagle Pope with my own
eyes and I was not impressed. Pope came to the University of Arizona
in April 2001. He was supposed to give a talk, but all he did was try
to solicit funds for Nanish Shontie, an embassasingly silly "education
center" for well to do New Age types based in Monmouth Oregon.

I had done some research and found that this group started out
associating itself with known frauds on the Northwest coast the Ghost
Wolf/ crystal skulls cult and then with the fake Hopi elders and a lot
of people who appeared on Art Bell just to promote themselves. When
they were exposed, they cleaned up their act for a short while, and
then went right back to touring the country to collect funds for their
so-called education center. The charge for ceremonies by calling the
ceremonies "healings" and calling the fees "donations." This is a
standard trick among frauds. They use a lot of catch words to attract
rich yuppies like "earth friendly" and "sustainable" and throw in some
ancient cataclysmic prophesies to fool people who know nothing about
ndns. This group is real tricky. They actually study people who are
prone to be attracted to environmental causes and ndn causes and learn
how to manipulate them into giving money for this phony community.
They've even managed to defraud the government into giving them
nonprofit status. The group is all about profit. Anybody who still
thinks otherwise, is really deluding themselves.

It's pretty well known across NDN country that there have been
numerous reports of Mala Spotted Eagle Pope, disrespecting, assaulting
and abusing women. Anyone could have seen them on numerous ndn boards
since at least 2002.

No one should take my word that this is a bad guy. You can Google him
and look at what he's up to for yourself:
Google Holland
http://www.google.nl
Google Austria
http://www.google.at
Ask yourself, why would a man need to travel all over the world like
that if he had roots in any real ndn community?

Or contact the NANAI site, they know about him.

I've heard lots of things about his disrespect for women at various
pow wows. I've heard many ndn women tell that some of his healings are
sexually inappropriate and that he uses his imagined status as a
medicine man to try to force women to engage in sex acts with him. I
know for a fact that there are charges of sexual misconduct pending
against him in several foreign countries. Austria and Holland at
least. Anyone could verify this information with a few phone calls or
letters. There is also an ongoing investigation about Pope in Veneta
County Oregon due to abuse complaints filed by several women at that
fair. (it's about 15 miles west of Eugene in Lane County.)

http://www.virtualgumshoe.com/resources/index.asp?STATE_ID=38&CATEGOR...
http://www.orcourtsonline.com/
Phone: 503-378-3725 Ext. 44429
You have to pay for records

Unfortunately, sexual abuse is common among people pretending to be
ndn medicine men. That's why it is vital that ndns be able to warn the
public about the dangers of becoming involved with fakes. New Age ndn
operations like this are rife with fraud and sexual abuse is a common
thing.

When I saw Pope in Tucson in 2001, he behaved very inappropriately
towards a young Dineh woman and an older Ojibwe woman at a talk he
gave. The talk made me very suspicious since it was really just a fund
raising attempt. His grammar was atrocious, he talked more about
Christian concepts, and overall, he didn't make any sense. He appeared
to be very nervous and jumped around from subject to subject, couldn't
stay on one topic and demonstrated that he really knows nothing about
indigenous culture. It was my impression that Mala was only talking to
the white members of the audience and he was only interested in
getting money from them. He seemed irritated that native people had
shown up for the talk at all. When a native member of the audience
challenged him on his superficial knowledge of indigenous spiritual
practices and his use of tonto speak, and his claims to be a "third
generation medicine man", he became belligerent and recited the
standard new age fluff about being positive and how evil people are
who use their critical thinking skills. There was a young Dineh woman
who wanted to know why he traveled all over asking for money and who
his people were. He tried to intimidate her into silence by yelling at
her and he demonstrated that he is very quick to anger. It has been my
experience that true native elders are very slow to anger and will
always be patient with you if you have questions. Mala couldn't answer
to anyone's satisfaction as to why he was in Western Oregon. He
refused to give any details about what Western Shoshone or Cherokee
communities he claimed to be from or what the indigenous elders in
Western Oregon thought of his community. Mala has a problem respecting
women and a problem with his temper; I've seen it with my own eyes.
Someone should contact the civil and the Tribal authorities in Oregon
about him.

BEWARE of people like POPE!

Anyone who is interested in Native spiritual/environmental beliefs
should beware of people like him.

Anyone who wants to talk to me about this may contact me at
savage_minded [at] hotmail.com

Patrick Quinn
-------------------------------------------------------------
end quote

Thank you
Katherine

Offline westernshogirl

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2008, 12:06:45 am »
Mala is a total fraud. I am an enrolled member of the Te-Moak Tribe of Western Shoshone, the same tribe which Mala Pope claims and have point blank asked him and his family members what their affiliation with the Western Shoshone people is and got several different answers. The first was that they were disenrolled (meaning that they were once enrolled but then removed from the membership of the tribe), then I was told they applied for membership but their paperwork was lost. I finally asked someone at the tribe who this family was and was told that they had applied for enrollment many years ago but were denied because there was no evidence of Western Shoshone blood.

For someone like the Pope family to take resources that rightfully belong to actual tribal people and to exploit tribal traditional practices for money and public recognition is wrong and the individuals, organizations, colleges, and universities who give them money and audiences to spread their sham made up traditional beliefs are providing a disservice to all Native American people.

Offline AlessandroItaly

• Indians are people!
    • Nativi Americani.it
Nanish Shontie
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2008, 12:23:17 pm »
This community is Ok? The url is www.nanish.org

Offline AlessandroItaly

• Indians are people!
    • Nativi Americani.it
Re: Nanish Shontie
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2008, 02:31:51 pm »
I have read now the old post on Mala Spotted Eagle(Topic: Mala "Spotted Eagle" Pope & Nanish Shontie) ...terrible...I don't responde at this email that I have received from him!!!

"I recently was sent your video that you did on Native American Genocide. Thank-you for doing that. I am Shoshone and Cherokee. I am in Germany travelling doing talks about the importance of reconnecting back to many of the native teachings that helped us to live more in harmony with Mother earth and ourselves. We have a community in USA called Nanish Shontie that might interest you. Here is our website,www.nanish.org. Please keep up your good work, it is needed. Mala Spotted Eagle"

Thanks again for this important information....Alessandro

Offline Barnaby_McEwan

« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2008, 06:15:23 pm »
That's okay, Alessandro. It's good to hear from you.

Offline AlessandroItaly

• Indians are people!
    • Nativi Americani.it
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2008, 02:14:11 pm »
That's okay, Alessandro. It's good to hear from you.

Hi Barnaby_McEwan, I have a new web site now, and a newborn, my daughter Iris :-)
A greeting to all

Offline Barnaby_McEwan

« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2008, 06:51:07 pm »
Congratulazioni!