Author Topic: Kenn Day / "Kenn Deigh" / Ken Day - "Post-Tribal" shamanism  (Read 34283 times)

Offline Defend the Sacred

• Global Moderator
Re: Kenn Day / "Kenn Deigh" / Ken Day - "Post-Tribal" shamanism
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2014, 09:45:41 pm »
Jewish pipe ceremony? Jewish sweat lodge? Really....

Apparently some of you didn't actually bother to read what I wrote in my introduction. Allow me to make it a bit easier for you.
• I make no claims to be presenting native teachings. In fact, OUT OF RESPECT for these tribal teachings, I coined the term "post-tribal" to differentiate what I do from ingininous teachings.
• The fact that my great grandmother happened to be Cherokee is simply a fact of genetics. I made no attempt to claim tribal membership, and have never tried to represent my teachings as connected with any tribal teaching.
• While I have studied with a number of indiginous teachers, from South America, Tibet, China, Africa and the Middle East, I do not pass on those teachings, but only the ones received from my own spirit allies, in the best shamanic tradition. My primary mentor is Elisheva Nesher, Shofet of the Am Ha Eretz tradition, a reconstruction of pre-diasporic Hebrew earth spirituality.
• I find it interesting that in my meetings with native practitioners, I have never encountered such vitriolic and attacking behavior as I see here in only a few short hours. I have had good, respectful exchanges with a traditional Mongolian shaman/ness, a Zulu Sangoma, a Quero elder, Taino elder/teacher and Tibetan Bon teachers – all of whom are open-hearted and open-minded about the need of those people not raised in a tribal setting to find their own ways to connect with their ancestors, the earth, their souls and spirit in general. This is a universal human need, and the "shaman" is a response to this need.

kenndeigh

Re: kenndeigh - My introduction
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2014, 09:46:21 pm »
LOL! When I was told of this group, I was quite supportive of the need to police the actual practices of those claiming to practice shamanism. It is all too easy to find those who take on such things without proper training or precautions. I didn't believe it when the website was characterized to me as "lacking any integrity" and "just interested in attacking anything on their radar". SO I gave it a shot. What I find is that, at least for those who have chimed in, they were bang on the mark. How disappointing.

Kathryn - you forgot to post another part of what is on my website. Here, allow me.

"It is not the purpose of these workshops to pass on teachings of any indigenous tribe or in anyway take on the cultural trappings of other peoples. We honor those who come before us, and those who walk other paths. This is a path rooted in and directed to the experience of modern humans in the post-tribal society in which most of us have been raised. Further, attending these workshops will not make you a shaman. Most who choose to particiapate do so because of the enrichment the teachings bring to their lives, not because they plan to use these techniques in service to others. Becoming a shaman requires that you are called to the path, that you receive adequate training and effective initiation."

But that wouldn't jive with your projections, would it.

How sad it is that you feel it necessary to attack anyone wondering in to introduce themselves. May your ancestors look on you and see your hearts clearly.

Offline Smart Mule

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2014, 09:49:43 pm »
Apparently some of you didn't actually bother to read what I wrote in my introduction. Allow me to make it a bit easier for you.

Yes, I did read what you wrote in your introduction.  Did you take the time to read what we are about?

• I make no claims to be presenting native teachings. In fact, OUT OF RESPECT for these tribal teachings, I coined the term "post-tribal" to differentiate what I do from ingininous teachings.

You don't?  You don't talk about doing pipe ceremony, sweat lodge and vision quests?

• The fact that my great grandmother happened to be Cherokee is simply a fact of genetics. I made no attempt to claim tribal membership, and have never tried to represent my teachings as connected with any tribal teaching.

My great grandmother happened to be a gnome.  Really.  It's true because I said so.  I don't claim anything gnomish so it's okay.  But I claim gnomish.

• While I have studied with a number of indiginous teachers, from South America, Tibet, China, Africa and the Middle East, I do not pass on those teachings, but only the ones received from my own spirit allies, in the best shamanic tradition. My primary mentor is Elisheva Nesher, Shofet of the Am Ha Eretz tradition, a reconstruction of pre-diasporic Hebrew earth spirituality.

Who are all of these indigenous teachers?  Spirit allies?  They tell you it's okay to appropriate?  I'll bet they're doing that laughing thing the stereotypical tribeless grandfather does.

• I find it interesting that in my meetings with native practitioners, I have never encountered such vitriolic and attacking behavior as I see here in only a few short hours. I have had good, respectful exchanges with a traditional Mongolian shaman/ness, a Zulu Sangoma, a Quero elder, Taino elder/teacher and Tibetan Bon teachers – all of whom are open-hearted and open-minded about the need of those people not raised in a tribal setting to find their own ways to connect with their ancestors, the earth, their souls and spirit in general. This is a universal human need, and the "shaman" is a response to this need.

I find it interesting that in meeting with white people, I have never encountered such entitlement and obnoxious behavior.  I have had good, respectful exchanges with white people - many of whom are open-hearted and open-minded about the issue of appropriation and white privilege.  Appropriation and white privilege is a universal issue and this site is a response to this need.

Offline Smart Mule

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2014, 09:55:05 pm »

"It is not the purpose of these workshops to pass on teachings of any indigenous tribe or in anyway take on the cultural trappings of other peoples. We honor those who come before us, and those who walk other paths. This is a path rooted in and directed to the experience of modern humans in the post-tribal society in which most of us have been raised. Further, attending these workshops will not make you a shaman. Most who choose to particiapate do so because of the enrichment the teachings bring to their lives, not because they plan to use these techniques in service to others. Becoming a shaman requires that you are called to the path, that you receive adequate training and effective initiation."

But that wouldn't jive with your projections, would it.

How sad it is that you feel it necessary to attack anyone wondering in to introduce themselves. May your ancestors look on you and see your hearts clearly.

Cultural TRAPPINGS?  Ceremony is not a trapping, it is something that is sacred.  You don't get it.  YOU APPROPRIATE AND PROFIT FROM PIPE CEREMONY, SWEAT LODGE and VISION QUEST.  That is wrong.  That is commodifying something that does not belong to you.  I personally am not projecting anything on anyone.  I've perused the information about you on the internet and I don't find any of it remotely respectful.  Call your trappings what you will, you are a thief.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2014, 09:58:28 pm »
And, like so many arrogant drama queens before him, Ken(n) has flounced.

Offline JeelyPiece

« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2014, 10:12:41 pm »

So out of "respect" for these traditional teachings you've made up sweatlodges and pipe ceremonies that are in no way inspired by Native American traditions, aside from the fact that that's pretty much the only place you find them?

You came up with these ideas all on your own, with no knowledge of their existence? (I doubt it.) So you faked up your ceremonies instead.

Or wait, it's not Native American sweatlodges you're not imitating (honest!), it's Irish teach allais, right?

Or you think it's OK to take sacred ceremonies from other peoples and take them apart and put them back together again with bits and pieces from all over the place, to make your own ceremonies. And it's OK so long as you don't claim they're authentic and "tribal," as you put it? It's something "new," regardless of the sacred ceremonies you've just ripped to pieces? Because that's not disrespectful or offensive, is it.

Because you can do it better?

And then you advertise your services on a website (you're better. You can cure cancer!) that works to expose people who do the exact same thing you're doing and you're surprised at the response.

Seriously?

Offline Diana

• I Love YaBB 2!
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2014, 10:38:28 pm »
WTF everyone! Does KEN DOLL have some sort of conscious or unconscious desire for self-annihilation. LOL!! Is this guy really so stupid? Or are we being punked...? Either way this is too funny.

Diana

Offline Sturmboe

« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2014, 07:07:41 am »
Kenn,

I quoted this from your homepage:

Kenn has used the many healing therapies he's studied to successfully treat a wide range of symptoms.  Here are a few examples.

Chronic physical pain in any area of the body; frozen joints, arthritis
    Pain, numbness or restlessness in extremities – hands, feet, legs
    Stress, anxiety, irrational fears, feelings of helplessness
    Chronic depression, listlessness, or feelings of loss of a part of one’s self (from loss of a relationship or job, for example)
    Attention focus disorders, overactive thought patterns, disassociation
    Chronic headaches, grinding or clenching teeth, TMJ (jaw disorders)
    Fatigue, insomnia, recurring nightmares
    Digestive issues – acid reflux, indigestion, irritable bowels
    Lack of vitality or passion about life, suicidal thoughts
    Fertility and erectile maladies
    Allergies, diabetes

May you tell me what kind of profession, education and advanced training you made / got to give you the rights, knowledges and cognition to do this work you do?
Do you get the courage to write about? I am sure I will face your answers more precisely and critcize.

Oh, well you flounced, just came in to find out what you expected, a corroboration.
You´d never accepted a corroboration of false aspects of your behaviour and treatings.
Sad, how do you think you are able to help other people when you are not prepared to challenge yourself and your practices ....

Offline earthw7

• Standing Rock Tourism
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2014, 01:43:25 pm »
Hihanna waste, Lets start from the beginning ;D
Mr. Day
You did not answer my questions! As a native i have the right to ask who are your relatives?
That is not being rude its is being Native.
Second Cherokee do not use a sweat lodge ceremony.
The pipe ceremony is primarily from My nation that is being used in the new age world.
We do not teach outside people to be "shamans" Medicine people unless they live among the people.
As tribal people we are still very much alive and living our way of life.
YES ITS STEALING!
Who gave you the right to do this because you must have the right or we as Native people will stop the abuse of our culture.
The Law of our people says you can not do the ceremonies unless it is in our Native language, Native song, and their are rules
that take a life time to learn, so who gave you the right?
In Spirit

Epiphany

« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2014, 03:58:36 pm »
Name   KENNETH BRIAN DAY
Birth Date: 5/1959    Birth Place: CINTI, OH
Birth Country:
 Practice   Full Spectrum Health Center
 3836 Reading Road
 CINCINNATI, OH 45229
 United States of America

Residence   CINCINNATI, OH 45211
County: Hamilton
 Professional Education   School:    990240-SELF HEALTH INST
Graduated: 11/01/91

License and Registration Information
 Credential    License Type    Initial Licensure Date    Expiration Date    Status
 33.005654-C-D    LMT - C-D group    02/04/1992    04/01/2015    ACTIVE

https://license.ohio.gov/Lookup/SearchDetail.asp?ContactIdnt=3011691&DivisionIdnt=78&CredentialIdnt=3719455&Type=L

LNT = Licensed Massage Therapist

Autumn

« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2014, 04:48:58 pm »
I think he believes in the maxim "any publicity is good publicity"!

Any responses he has given here to the forum participants seem to be the very same things he has stated in his published works.

Epiphany

« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2014, 07:11:08 pm »
Kenn is a registered minister in the State of Ohio.
http://www.shamanstouch.com/ritual.html

DAY , KENNETH   1642 PULLAN AVENUE   CINCINNATI   OH   45223   -   15-AUG-95   TEMPLE ENOCH CHURCH   ACTIVE

http://www2.sos.state.oh.us/pls/minister/f?p=241:1:112825997809832::NO:RP:P1_REQ:S

He is still a licensed minister, but the non-profit corporation Temple Enochi expired in 2005, Kenneth Day was the statutory agent of the corporation. The purpose of the organization was to promulgate his "Sheya Enochi" system  http://www.oocities.org/workshopwoman/KennBW.html, including the ability to perform legally binding marriages.

Temple Enochi http://www2.sos.state.oh.us/pls/bsqry/f?p=100:7:0::NO:7:P7_CHARTER_NUM:914907
Articles of Incorporation, including his name as agent http://www2.sos.state.oh.us/reports/rwservlet?imgc&Din=5241_0198

Minister licensing procedures in Ohio (fill out forms properly, pay $10) http://www.sos.state.oh.us/sos/recordsIndexes/MinisterLicense/licensing.aspx

Offline Lime Tree

« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2014, 08:07:58 pm »
Ken Day was formerly Kenneth Deigh. You will recognise the photo at
http://www.byregion.net/articles-healers/rediscover-shamanism.html
From there:
Kenneth Deigh offers private sessions in Spiritual/Shamanic counseling and Body/Energywork. He is also trained in Shiatsu, Structural Therapy, CranioSacral and related modalities. Kenneth offers workshops on post-tribal shamanism, Synergetic Structural Integration and internal martial arts. Visit his website at http://w3.one.net/~enki/ or email him at enki@one.net
The link to enki does not work.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2014, 08:13:10 pm »
http://www.shamanstouch.com/blog/
"My intention has always been to clearly state that what I am doing in not from tribal or indigenous sources, in spite of the many commonalities. I can’t do anything about the discomfort they many have with the semantics. This must have done the trick, because I have had little to no problem with such people."

Because it's all about tricking "such people."  See, "you people."

Epiphany

« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2014, 08:26:48 pm »
As Kenneth Deigh he edited a journal http://www.fieldsbooks.com/cgi-bin/fields/A8253 https://www.worldcat.org/title/mezlim-an-independent-journal-for-the-working-magus/oclc/36908418&referer=brief_results

Mezlim - which ran to 25 issues published between 1990 - 1996, was an important journal of magical studies, that although not exclusively Thelemic, had a strong Crowleyan slant for much of its life. It had its origins in a small mimeographed journal called Mezla, which was a house journal for Kenneth Grant's Typhonian O.T.O. It ran for some 13 issues before petering out, only to be revived briefly twice: Vol. III, No. I (1985), & Vol. V, No. I (1989). By this time Kenneth Deigh had become the prime mover, and Managing Editor / Publisher of the journal and with the next issue he changed its title to Mezlim, the started a new series, with Vol. I, Issue 1, appearing early in 1990.
https://www.worldcat.org/title/mezlim-an-independent-journal-for-the-working-magus/oclc/36908418&referer=brief_results

Looks like his birth name is Kenneth Brian Day, then he used the name Kenneth/Kenn Deigh, then Kenn Day. The World Cat entry states"Managing editor/publisher: Kenneth Deigh; associate editor: Kathy Scheiern (under pseudonyms)."

Kenneth Deigh has over 14 years experience as a practicing Magus. As founder of the Sheya System of Magick, editor of Mezlim Magazine, and a practicing Shamanic healer, Kenneth is in the forefront of the Modern Magickal revival.

http://www.rosencomet.com/starwood/1998/sw98_speakD-G.html

During ELFest 1991, I met Kenneth Deigh, a man who plays many roles in the national Neopagan community. Kenn has been attending festivals in the United States for more than ten years, organizing and directing large group rituals and presenting workshops on various aspects of ritual work: Magical Mudras, a workshop on physical postures and gestures, and Invokation and Evokation, techniques of spirit possession, are two workshops Kenn offered at Starwood, a large festival that takes place at Brushwood sanctuary in southwestern New York. He also edits and publishes Mezlim, a Neopagan magazine. Kenn and a few friends organized their first Lumensgate festival in 1992, which was held on the summer solstice (June 21) at Brushwood. "Lumensgate," Kenn wrote me, "means 'gateway to light,' gateway to a place where we can transform, a place where possibilities are open to us." As a festival organizer Kenn is particularly conscious of what makes festivals different from the everyday world.

http://www.dmmserver.com/DialABook/978/052/022/9780520220867.html

Just like Sky has already said "What's the matter, the ceremonial magic gig didn't pay enough so you turned to appropriation?"
« Last Edit: August 17, 2014, 08:37:31 pm by Piff »