Author Topic: Kenn Day / "Kenn Deigh" / Ken Day - "Post-Tribal" shamanism  (Read 34292 times)

Offline Sturmboe

Re: Kenn Day / "Kenn Deigh" / Ken Day - "Post-Tribal" shamanism
« Reply #30 on: August 18, 2014, 05:54:29 am »
LNT = Licensed Massage Therapist

Massage Therapist ....

in this profession he is not able to heal deseases with mental issues
he should care HOW he treat these vulnarable people and HOW he is in contact - but he cannot heal.
If he treat people with mental issues he should be in contact with the psychologist /psychotherapist.

It can help (as a part of medicine care, but often this is not healing as people understand it):

Chronic physical pain in any area of the body; frozen joints, arthritis
    Pain,
    Digestive issues – acid reflux, indigestion, irritable bowels
    (numbness or restlessness in extremities – hands, feet, legs, depends of the cause ....)

I doubt this:

Allergies, diabetes
    Fertility and erectile maladies

It can help as a part in medical care, but if these physical prolemes are a result of psychological stress, there must be a combination of other medical / psychological treats:

Chronic headaches, grinding or clenching teeth, TMJ (jaw disorders)
    (Thai Chi is another part wich help patients, if they can accept this)

It can help in a combination with psychotherapy, this working should be in cooperation with psychologists, / psychotherapists and the Massage Therapist should follow the instructions of them - generally
A massage therapist is not able to heal these deseases. But he needs to care in a special way for these patients, it is a way HOW he is in contact with them. And sometimes it could be dangerous to work with massage:

Fatigue, insomnia, recurring nightmares
    Lack of vitality or passion about life, suicidal thoughts
    Stress, anxiety, irrational fears, feelings of helplessness
    Chronic depression, listlessness, or feelings of loss of a part of one’s self (from loss of a   
    relationship or job, for example)
    Attention focus disorders, overactive thought patterns, disassociation

All these mentally deseases / symptomes which are mentioned  .... and K.D. believe he can help them indeed?

In some deseases / patients vision quests, sweatlodges etc. are contraindicated.

I fear the the results of these patients with mental issues taking part in ceremonies which are not basing on their way of life.

http://www.byregion.net/articles-healers/rediscover-shamanism.html

This article gives to me not the feeling that K.D. wants to hear other opinions than his own ones.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2014, 06:45:48 am by Sturmboe »

Offline Smart Mule

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: August 18, 2014, 04:50:09 pm »
Kenn Day
My father was Woodford Day, from Magoffin County, Kentucky. His father was Thomas Jefferson Day and his grandfather was Jefferson Davis Day. The family myth is that we were from Ireland by way of Wales, but it is difficult to prove and the DNA evidence is inconclusive.http://www.surnamedb.com/Surname/Day

I also found this -

Arizona Republic (Phoenix, Arizona), Friday, July 7, 1967
John P. Day John Perry Day, 11, who was a sixth-grade student at Sunnyslope Elementary School, died yesterday in his home, 9419 N. 14th St., a cystic fibrosis victim.  Friends may call from 4 to 9 p.m. Sunday in Mercer Mortuary, 1541 E. Thomas. John, a native of Buckeye, was brought to Phoenix as an infant. Survivors include his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Woodford Day; a brother, Kenneth; a sister, Mary; and his grandparents, Mr. and Mrs. Walter Heismann, all of Phoenix.http://www.newspapers.com/newspage/20235693/

Epiphany

« Reply #32 on: August 18, 2014, 05:02:52 pm »
Kenn Day
My father was Woodford Day, from Magoffin County, Kentucky. His father was Thomas Jefferson Day and his grandfather was Jefferson Davis Day. The family myth is that we were from Ireland by way of Wales, but it is difficult to prove and the DNA evidence is inconclusive.http://www.surnamedb.com/Surname/Day

I also found this -

Arizona Republic (Phoenix, Arizona), Friday, July 7, 1967
John P. Day John Perry Day, 11, who was a sixth-grade student at Sunnyslope Elementary School, died yesterday in his home, 9419 N. 14th St., a cystic fibrosis victim.  Friends may call from 4 to 9 p.m. Sunday in Mercer Mortuary, 1541 E. Thomas. John, a native of Buckeye, was brought to Phoenix as an infant. Survivors include his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Woodford Day; a brother, Kenneth; a sister, Mary; and his grandparents, Mr. and Mrs. Walter Heismann, all of Phoenix.http://www.newspapers.com/newspage/20235693/

This is exactly where I am at too in the genealogy search.

That Kentucky Day family are all listed as white in 1930 census https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XM61-GQS

Has Kenn stated on what side of his family the supposed Cherokee heritage is on?

Offline Diana

• I Love YaBB 2!
« Reply #33 on: August 18, 2014, 07:24:04 pm »
Licensed Massage therapists usually go to school for 9 months. And also take a state standardized test. This is not rocket science.

Massage or massage like professions which take little study or just completing some courses are the usual norm for most of these frauds. There is a pattern here. So, when you see suspicious or questionable people advertising their "services" always look to see if they offer massage or have some sort of "massage" training or credentials. That is a big red flag.

Lim lemtsh,

Diana

Offline Diana

• I Love YaBB 2!
« Reply #34 on: August 18, 2014, 07:52:40 pm »
Has Kenn stated on what side of his family the supposed Cherokee heritage is on?

My ancestors hail from Ireland, Germany, Wales, Scotland, England and the Middle East, with one great grandmother from the mountains of Kentucky, who was Cherokee.

Diana

Offline Smart Mule

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: August 18, 2014, 08:17:16 pm »
Using the obit for his brother I believe his maternal grandparents are Walter Heismann and Thelma Hazelton.  Thelma's parents - HEISMANN, THELMA HEZELTON (child of EMMA MCKELLER (mother) and JAMES PERRY HAZELTON) was born 9 Oct 1895 in OHIO;; died 30 Oct 1953 in MARICOPA COUNTY, ARIZONA, U.S.A..   http://sortedbyname.com/mobile/pages/h144766.html James Perry Hazelton and Emma McKeller are listed as white in the 1920 census.

I believe Walter's parents were August Henry Eismann and Mary Ann Heber, both of whom were born in Germany.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2014, 08:19:47 pm by sky »

Offline educatedindian

• Administrator
« Reply #36 on: August 18, 2014, 11:21:06 pm »
http://www.shamanstouch.com/blog/
"My intention has always been to clearly state that what I am doing in not from tribal or indigenous sources, in spite of the many commonalities. I can’t do anything about the discomfort they many have with the semantics. This must have done the trick, because I have had little to no problem with such people."

Because it's all about tricking "such people."  See, "you people."

Directing this at him, not you...

Day has very little understanding of the Native ceremonies he does to call vision quests and sweat lodges "semantics" or somehow claim they are not Native. That makes him inherently dangerous. We should try to see if he's doing his version of sweatlodge much like James Ray did, recklessly.

If Native activists have no paid much attention to him before, it's likely because he's not nearly as famous as he imagines himself to be. Really, we've certainly looked at enough pagan, core shamanism, and eclectic exploiters before, and his name just isn't hardly known.

But in a nice little twist, this thread is now the fifth highest ranked link about him, and that's after only a few days.

Epiphany

« Reply #37 on: August 19, 2014, 12:45:13 am »
Kenn Day's response in a discussion about James Ray:

kenn day
Nov 18, 2011
Indeed. It was shocking to hear of such a large number of people stuffed into a lodge. How could he have contained them all? Does anyone know if you was working from teachings he received, or just "playing with the tech?"

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/ShamanicWays/conversations/topics/10531

Epiphany

« Reply #38 on: August 19, 2014, 12:53:00 am »
Ceremonies
The role of the Shaman often includes the creation and direction of ritual and ceremonies to support the people they work with, to provide healing, realization, movement or to express gratitude. This workshop introduces the fundamentals of these practices and focuses on the creation and use of the sweat lodge along with a pipe ceremony. Limit 12 participants.

http://www.shamanstouch.com/post.html

Autumn

Re: kenndeigh - My introduction
« Reply #39 on: August 19, 2014, 02:09:00 am »
Apparently some of you didn't actually bother to read what I wrote in my introduction. Allow me to make it a bit easier for you.
• I make no claims to be presenting native teachings. In fact, OUT OF RESPECT for these tribal teachings, I coined the term "post-tribal" to differentiate what I do from ingininous teachings.
• The fact that my great grandmother happened to be Cherokee is simply a fact of genetics. I made no attempt to claim tribal membership, and have never tried to represent my teachings as connected with any tribal teaching.
• While I have studied with a number of indiginous teachers, from South America, Tibet, China, Africa and the Middle East, I do not pass on those teachings, but only the ones received from my own spirit allies, in the best shamanic tradition. My primary mentor is Elisheva Nesher, Shofet of the Am Ha Eretz tradition, a reconstruction of pre-diasporic Hebrew earth spirituality.
• I find it interesting that in my meetings with native practitioners, I have never encountered such vitriolic and attacking behavior as I see here in only a few short hours. I have had good, respectful exchanges with a traditional Mongolian shaman/ness, a Zulu Sangoma, a Quero elder, Taino elder/teacher and Tibetan Bon teachers – all of whom are open-hearted and open-minded about the need of those people not raised in a tribal setting to find their own ways to connect with their ancestors, the earth, their souls and spirit in general. This is a universal human need, and the "shaman" is a response to this need.
(My Bolding)

"Coined" the term!  Exactly! (Another Freudian Slip?)

Aside from the sweat lodge, pipe ceremony, and vision quests, the other specialties he has mentioned are suspect also.

My primary mentor is Elisheva Nesher, Shofet of the Am Ha Eretz tradition, a reconstruction of pre-diasporic Hebrew earth spirituality.

The Talmud applies "the people of Land" to uneducated Jews, who were deemed likely to be negligent in their observance of the commandments due to their ignorance, and the term combines the meanings of "rustic" with those of "boorish, uncivilized, ignorant".

In current parlance, Am ha'aretz (or AMHA) refers to a movement arising from the early pioneers in Israel and their love of the land. Members of AMHA in Israel tend to be in elite military units and kibbutzim and reflect the traditional values of the secular Israeli pioneers. The leaders of AMHA are called Shoftim, and are elected by the membership. AMHA has also spread to the USA in recent years, where the first Shofet outside of Israel now resides.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Am_ha%27aretz

Am ha'aretz means an "ignorant," or "boorish person." In a culture that has always prized learning highly, it is quite a put-down to call someone an am ha'aretz.

The literal meaning of the phrase is "people (am) of the earth (aretz)." To the rabbis of the Talmud, an am ha'aretz, by virtue of his ignorance, was deemed likely to be lax in his observance of the commandments. One common implication of this was that one couldn't count on an am ha'aretz separating tithes from his produce.

The rabbis argue about how you may recognise an am ha'aretz. Some of the possibilities are: one who doesn't say the Shema with its blessings morning and night; one who doesn't put on tsitsit or tefilin; one who has children but doesn't care to give them a Jewish education. The most stringent view is that even a person who learns Torah and Mishnah, but doesn't frequent Torah scholars, is to be considered an am ha'aretz; without learning face-to-face from a living sage, our knowledge is likely to be unreliable (Talmud Berachot 47b, Sotah 22a).

Today, am ha'artzut (the state of being an am ha'aretz) has spread on a scale that the sages never imagined. Knowing what an am ha'aretz is, and knowing that traditionally Jews strove with all their strength to avoid being one, may be a first step to remedying this.
http://www.thejc.com/judaism/jewish-words/am-ha%E2%80%99aretz

Kenn Day and his wife, Patricia Sheerin, were introduced to Systemic Family Constellation Work in Cornwall in 2001. They pursued training in Germany and the United States, successfully completing a two year certification course with Heinz Stark, Bert Hellinger's protégé, in 2005. Both Kenn and Patricia share a deep enthusiasm for Systemic Constellation Work, fueled by their own experiences with the healing effects of this powerful tool. Their work as a couple, with complementary communication styles, is rare among Constellation facilitators and allows for a greater dynamic clarity in the field.
http://www.shamanstouch.com/systemic-constellation.html

Family Constellations diverges significantly from conventional forms of cognitive, behaviour and psychodynamic psychotherapy. The method has been described as quantum quackery, and its founder Bert Hellinger incorporates the pseudoscientific idea of morphic resonance into his explanation of it. Positive outcomes from the therapy have been attributed to conventional explanations such as suggestion and empathy.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Family_Constellations
http://www.skepdic.com/hellinger.html

« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 02:22:07 am by Autumn »

Offline amorYcohetes

« Reply #40 on: September 14, 2014, 06:22:48 pm »
On a humorous note, it sounds to me like either Mr. Day has been watching too much "Supernatural" or the writers of that show get their inspiration from sources like Mr. Day.  I'm not sure which possibility is funnier!
He is still a licensed minister, but the non-profit corporation Temple Enochi expired in 2005, Kenneth Day was the statutory agent of the corporation. The purpose of the organization was to promulgate his "Sheya Enochi" system
http://supernatural.wikia.com/wiki/Enochian_sigil
Mezlim - which ran to 25 issues published between 1990 - 1996, was an important journal of magical studies, that although not exclusively Thelemic, had a strong Crowleyan slant for much of its life.
http://supernatural.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Main_Villains

Offline milehighsalute

« Reply #41 on: September 16, 2014, 09:17:50 pm »
the irony of the very first post here kills me  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline RedRightHand

« Reply #42 on: November 16, 2014, 09:45:11 pm »
Kenn Day and other fraudulent, exploitative appropriators were recently featured on this popular neopagan blog: http://wildhunt.org/2014/11/culture-and-community-appropriation-exchange-and-modern-paganism.html

It's a rather horrific display, with *no one* who is part of any Native community featured. One brown person has their quote in normal text, while one of the worst appropriators out there, "Lupa Green Wolf" and other whites are featured prominently. Like Kenn Day, "Lupa" leads pay to pray full of pretendian objects (kokopelli rattle, Plains style drums, animal skins) and Harner-type shameon displays, but claims it's OK because she admits she's white. Yeah, we know you're white. You're still an appropriator.

There are also some rather self-promoting white people in the comments section who, while saying some OK things, also seem to think they can speak for Natives and who misrepresent Celtic cultures almost as badly as Day does. All in all, it's pretty ugly.

Offline RedRightHand

« Reply #43 on: November 16, 2014, 09:49:06 pm »
And needless to say, they don't care what Natives have to say about Day. They could have just googled, but they don't care.

Offline RedRightHand

« Reply #44 on: November 16, 2014, 09:54:35 pm »
I mean, look at this. Day is such a lying hypocrite! He thinks that if he says things like this, no one will notice he does not engage respectfully. I mean, just read this thread to see how "respectful" he is!

'Kenn Day spoke to the complexity of learning to navigate our relationships with living cultures. He said, “These living cultures can be dealt with respectfully in much the same way as many modern seekers have approached native traditions of shamanism, by approaching them with humility and asking to learn from the lore keepers of that people. This means recognizing that their traditions are not yours to take. They can be gifted, but even then they remain within the territory of that people. It is demeaning to have elements of your culture taken out of context and displayed for the entertainment of those outside your community.”'

Unbelievable... what a fraud.