Author Topic: UK - John Hawken AKA Starwater Twisted Hairs Society Shaman / Tantric  (Read 25977 times)

Offline nemesis

Oh dear, where to start....

I think that most people here are familiar with Harley Reagan's  "Twisted Hair Society" and also with the fraud H Storm, author of "7 Arrows" who is currently wanted for sexually abusing children in the US.

The teachings of both of these notorious individuals feature in the shamanic training courses offered by John Hawken AKA Starwater, also apparently know as "The grandfather of British tantra".
The Medicine Way
Shamanic training with Starwater
(John Hawken)

This is a systematic presentation of shamanic philosophy, practices and ceremonies based on the teachings of the Twisted Hairs Society, a weaving together of several shamanic traditions of the native American and Celtic peoples.

In this training you can learn

how not to be a victim of life, of events, of fate
how not to be an exploiter of nature or of others
but

to co-exist, interrelate and co-create
to understand our connectedness
with the four kingdoms of Grandmother Earth

mineral
plant
animal
and especially human
and with the ancestors and the spirit world
as well as the laws of life,
sacred, natural, magical and karmic

to understand events in terms of cause and effect on an energy level
to take responsibility for ourselves, stand in the centre of our circle and influence life
not from our heads
not from our emotions
or from our power centre
but determining with our spirit.

The course consists of four cycles of four days and will cover:

The source of the teachings
What is medicine?
What is a medicine wheel?
The basic teaching wheels
The star maiden infinity circle
Creating ceremony
Calling the powers
The 4 elements and the 4 directions
The twenty count
Healing ceremonies:
healing circles
light and dark arrows and balancing the shields
sweatlodge and other purification ceremonies
the energy body
the flowering tree teachings
the 20 chakras
the human shields
the assemblage points
the 10 eyes and 5 ears
fire medicine teachings about sexuality
human relationship wheels
lovers masks wheel
building and balancing your energy
psychic defence
losing self importance and erasing personal history
the sacred teachings of the 7 arrows
circle of foxes and circle of coyotes
teacher tyrants wheel
orende and the laws of attraction and repulsion
orende and the larien: building your energy and opening your extrasensory gifts
sacred platform breathing techniques
tislogi sacred dance of centring and connection
kiva dance
shamanic journeying and soul retrieval
drumming and sacred songs

http://www.thetantricpath.com/trainings/shamanic-training-with-john-hawken/

There is a lot of other information on his website that is, er, interesting, but I will leave that for others to comment on as I would value the opinions of others re this person

Offline czech

Re: UK - John Hawken AKA Starwater Twisted Hairs Society Shaman / Tantric
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2010, 09:55:08 am »
This person partly lives in the Czech Republic with his Czech girlfriend and teaches his courses here. I'm not knowledgeable enough to make a judgment about him but I can give you my personal impression as I have attended one his introductory seminars to his "training in shamanism". Personally he doesn't come across as a very healthy and enlightened person (let alone tantric master) but I can see how some people would be impressed by his strong voice and self-assured behavior. During that introductory talk he basically used the concept of the medicine wheel and some exercises.

Offline nemesis

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2010, 08:46:25 am »
Thank you for taking the time to reply to my OP czech

I would be very interested to hear more about the exercises and about why he didn't seem enlightened, if you don't mind sharing of course.

I have to say that reading the text on his website leaves me feeling more than a little disturbed.

Thanks again

Offline czech

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2010, 03:27:27 pm »
Sure. In the meantime I have looked on his Czech website to see what he says about himself there. There is no mention of "Starwater" or "Twisted Hair Society", he only mentions being member of "Dreamweavers Morningstar".

He is mainly known here as teacher of Tantra, and he specializes in Tantra for couples. This was the reason why I wanted to check him out in person when he happened to offer an evening "taste of shamanism" course in my hometown.

The exercises I remember were 1) working in pairs, one was "whipping up" the energy field of the other, using hands and breath. 2) We were lying down with eyes closed and while he was drumming, we were supposed to aks a question or envision the purpose of life or something of that sort.

As for my impressions of him, he looks like a nice guy I wouldn't mind sitting down in a pub to have a few beers with, but certainly not as someone from whom I would want to hear about the "sacredness of one's body" (one of his courses). His body appears quite neglected. His girlfriend, who translates for him, appeared tired and lifeless - and in my view, the two together didn't make a good advertising for their Tantric course.

The trouble is that people here will swallow up just about anything that promises some extraordinary experience to them. The 40 years of the communist regime (1948-1989) in our country were strictly materialistic (not meaning consumerist, there was not much to consume), and the hunger for some "hidden truths" has not been satisfied yet. People do not discern.

Offline nemesis

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2010, 08:48:28 am »
He is mainly known here as teacher of Tantra, and he specializes in Tantra for couples.

Thanks for that. 

I had no idea that he was a well known tantra teacher in the Czech republic or that his (much, much younger) girlfriend was Czech.

It doesn't surprise me.

As for my impressions of him, he looks like a nice guy I wouldn't mind sitting down in a pub to have a few beers with, but certainly not as someone from whom I would want to hear about the "sacredness of one's body" (one of his courses). His body appears quite neglected. His girlfriend, who translates for him, appeared tired and lifeless - and in my view, the two together didn't make a good advertising for their Tantric course.

He looks like he spends a lot of time drinking beers in the pub and possibly eating lots of pies too. Of course people are entitled to treat their own bodies in whatever way they wish but he looks like he would struggle with even basic, unchallenging physical exercise.  He doesn't look like an example of a human being with exceptional body / mind / spirit abilities (which is how neo-tantrics promote themselves).

The trouble is that people here will swallow up just about anything that promises some extraordinary experience to them. The 40 years of the communist regime (1948-1989) in our country were strictly materialistic (not meaning consumerist, there was not much to consume), and the hunger for some "hidden truths" has not been satisfied yet. People do not discern.

Yes.  This is a problem in many former communist countries where various sects and cults are flourishing. It is very, very sad.

Offline czech

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2011, 05:12:48 pm »
John Hawken has a Czech website advertising his courses in Czech
http://www.skydancing.cz/cz/index.php
and German
http://www.skydancing.cz/de/index.php
and interestingly, the English version is "under construction" with no information
http://www.skydancing.cz/en/index.php

There are several articles there. I have translated a few sentences from an interview with him that explains a bit about his background in shamanism that I thought you might find of interest. Some of the terms may be inaccurate as this is my translation from Czech back into English of a text that probably was English in the first place but you'll get the picture:

When asked about how he started to study shamanism:

"The first time I met with shamanism was in Germany… When I herd of this seminar and its teacher who was called Medicine Story and came from an Indian tribe on the North-eastern coast of the US…
My main teacher Arwyn Dreamwalker came to Cornwall to teach a seminar there. That’s where I met her and became her apprentice. Her father is Navajo and her mother is Irish. That’s a very interesting combination. I felt she was bridging the Celtic tradition and the tradition of American Indians…
I needed a bridge between my native region, my intuition and the fascinating and complex teaching of American Indians. Arwyn had a teacher called Swift Deer who taught the medicine doctrine of the Twisted Hairs Society. She called her other teacher simply Grandpa. He was a Navajo and he is the figure known as Don Genaro in Carlos Castaneda books."

When asked about how he blends shamanism with tantra:

"In many respects it is identical. If you study the Fire medicine teachings, especially Quodoushka… Fire medicine is basically a teaching about sexuality in the medicine tradition…
I work with the energy body. I started with it as a bioenergetics therapist, then as a tantra teacher and now I also do it through shamanism."

The whole article in Czech is found here:
http://www.skydancing.cz/cz/view.php?cisloclanku=2006022301

John Hawken is currently teaching the Medicine Way (this is the training you mentioned back in the first post in the thread):
"The first systematic presentation in the Czech Republic of the shamanic philosphy, practices and rituals based on the teachings of the Twisted Hairs Society. These teachings are based on the weaving together of several shamanic traditions of the native American and Celtic tribes."

The training consists of four cycles of four days, each four-day seminar costs 4100 CZK (215 USD), the whole training 13900 CZK (730 USD).

http://www.skydancing.cz/cz/view.php?cisloclanku=2008120102

If you are interested in some particular topic or question I can look more into the articles.

Offline nemesis

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2011, 10:19:58 pm »
czech

Thank you very much for taking the time to translate that

I very much appreciate it

I have to be honest and say that I have some concerns about this man.

The lineage of of Harley Reagan, Arwyn Dreamwalker, Carlos Castaneda related BS and the whole Quodoushka thing is pretty worrying.

As you have mentioned in other posts, in Eastern Europe many people in post communist countries are very hungry for spiritual experiences to the extent that they can be vulnerable to abuse and exploitation by frauds.  It also seems to me that they can be a lot more vulnerable to sexual abuse and exploitation than people in other territories.  I sense that this is partly because they can "disappear" without causing as much fuss from the authorities than people in other European territories, so they are often targeted by predators. 

Another possible reason may be that, under communism, people's sexual lives were one of the very few areas that the state did not (generally speaking) control and that sexual "adventures" with a variety of partners were / are seen as a valid form of self expression, at least much more so than in other European territories where (for the most part) people are more conservative about sexual matters.

I have seen no indicators of some of the worst abuses that occur in relation to some neo-tantric / pseudo-tantric schools in relation to Hawken, however his lineage gives cause for concern and I think his website is worth keeping an eye on to see how things develop.

Offline czech

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2011, 12:30:27 pm »
I have seen no indicators of some of the worst abuses that occur in relation to some neo-tantric / pseudo-tantric schools in relation to Hawken, however his lineage gives cause for concern and I think his website is worth keeping an eye on to see how things develop.
I agree and I actually have questions about a different tantra group that are active in our country and will start a different thread on them after I do some research on my own. Thank you, nemesis

Offline nemesis

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2011, 07:56:44 pm »
OK I don't want to post a link here as I don't want to advertise it, but I found a "tantric temple" (newage brothel) that appears to be owned by Mr Hawken and that is staffed by various "goddesses" most of whom appear to be his students.

The temple is in London UK, but according to the website, there is another temple under construction in Turkey.

The prices are clearly not just for ordinary massage.

Prices

One to one private sessions
1hr £150 per hour for all treatments
£150 hr
90 mins £220
2hrs £300
2.5hrs £375
3hrs £450

4 Handed
£250 hr, currently special offer at the Temple only £180 per hour.

Couples therapy
£250 hr , currently special offer for £170 per hour
£370 90 mins, currently special offer for £255 per hour
£500 2hrs, currently special offer for £340 per hour

OUTCALLS - Your Tantric Therapist comes to your CENTRAL LONDON HOTEL ONLY.

This impression is consolidated by a list of the services on offer, that include
TANTRA FOR MEN
Tantra Erotic Massage
Sensual Tantric Massage
Healing Tantric Massage
Four Hand Tantric Massage
Learn Yoni Tantric Massage
Tantric Ritual: BodyWorship
Tantric Ritual: Bathing
Pamper De-Stress Package
Prolonging Pleasure
Tantric Lingam Massage

TANTRA FOR WOMEN
Sensual Tantric Massage
Healing Tantric Massage
Tantric Yoni Massage
Tantric Yoni Healing

TANTRA FOR COUPLES
One-to-One Bespoke Private Training
Program: Learn to be intimate Lovers:
Levels 1 - 5

THE TANTRIC PATH
Level 1 - 6
Earth, Fire, Air, Water, Spirit, Sacred Sexuality.

TANTRIC TEMPLE
Tantric Healing Guidance
Tantra for Gay Men
Tantra for Lesbians
Tantra for Disabled

Also the fact that all the goddesses have nude and topless photos on display kind of gives the game away also.

If you wish to work as one of Mr Hawken's temples please note the following

Employment

Must have holistic background or interests.
Must have genuine interest in Tantra.
Must know basic massage skills.
Must be prepared to go on a Tantra Course with a main stream Tantra School.
Must be familiar with Erotic Massage & Sexual energy.
Must embrace intimacy with Shiva's and the concept of sacred space and time.
Must be at ease with naturism.
Must be sexually liberated.
Aged between 18 and 35 ish.
Must be legal UK resident.

On a personal level, you must take pride in your sexuality and appearance, embrace your inner Goddess allowing your dress and make up to project this image, we have a very high standard of presentation and take great pride in this.

Full Jade Lotus training in all Tantra Levels by the International Institute of Tantra will be given.

Will start as a trainee and progress as quickly as is possible.

Please email pictures of yourself that include a clear shot of your face, size and measurements, your background or goals within this arena.

Please also email me with regard to pay, due to the personal nature I do not want to post on this information on the site.

edited to add

Hawken actually operates 2 tantric temples in London, one in the City of London that is open on Wednesdays only, the other in W14.  So he moves his "goddesses" around.

He also runs a tantric massage accreditation organisation that apparently works with victims of incest and sexual abuse in Brazil. 

« Last Edit: February 20, 2011, 08:45:51 pm by nemesis »

Offline nemesis

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2011, 08:55:28 pm »
OK

just found "goddesses" working in Australia, New Zealand and the US as part of this network.  All these territories have their own websites.  The Turkey website is up also.  

Just modifying this as while Hawken's websites and tantric temples in London share a name with a network of temples in Australia, NZ and the US, (jadelotustantra) the alleged founder of the Oz, NZ and US sites is a mysterious female called Jade Lotus. 

To make things more complicated, some of the "goddesses" advertised on the Oz / US / NZ site are the same as on Hawken's site, in fact if you click on their names you get taken to what looks like Hawken's site only it has a different URL.

In fact some of the links on the US site to their goddesses, simply take you to one of Hawken's sites.

It is hard for me to understand quite what is going on. 

On reflection I think that the US/Oz/NZ sites are connected to Hawken and working cooperatively with his little network of temples but are not owned by him. 

So far it seems that Hawken is the head of one temple / brothel in west London, one temple / brothel in the City of London (Wednesdays only) a school of Tantra in the UK and the Czech Republic and a temple / brothel in Turkey. 

His business are connected with a website that is an umbrella for temples/ brothels in the UK, US, Oz, NZ and Turkey. 

These international websites and temples offer tantric massage training that is accredited with Hawken's accrediting body www.iasect.com

I don't have the time to research all of this properly but I think it is worthy of further research by someone

Further info about the work of Hawken's accrediting body and its work in Brazil.......

International Association of Sexual Educators, Counsellors & Therapists
Established 2006

IASECT is proud to inform the sexual Health Community of the following Event.

CEARAS - Centre for Studying and Attending Related to Sexual Abuse of São Paulo University (Brazil) work with incestuous families that contains a denounce of sexual abuse. This work of Mental Health Care embraces research, treatment, prevention and education.

"2nd International Congress of Sexual Offences & 2nd Brazilian Congress of Sexual Offences"

30 April & 2 May 2009

Ouro Preto - Minas Gerais, Brazil
For further information please contact abtos@usp.br

ABTOS - Brazilian Association of Prevention and Treatment of Sexual Offences

CEARAS - Center for Studying and Attending Related to Sexual Abuse

Oscar Freire Institute - Medicine Faculty of São Paulo University
Teodoro Sampaio, nº115 - Cerqueira César

Tel. 55 11 3085-9677 r. 124

abtos@usp.br

source
http://www.iasect.com/BrazillianCongress.html

« Last Edit: February 20, 2011, 09:46:03 pm by nemesis »

Offline czech

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2011, 07:26:44 am »
Thank you, nemesis.

That is absolutely shocking  :(

Offline sunshine21

I have never been part of a forum before but knowing John Hawken as an inspirational teacher for over a decade I felt compelled to respond to the previous posts on this topic.
The information posted is totally incorrect. John Hawken DOES NOT own any brothels. Has main teachings are in tantra & help people become more aware and conscious of their engergetic body which includes sexual energy. I believe that he was hired to do some sessions with the women that work at the london tantra temple to help them with connecting to customers and improving the qualithy of the massages they offer.
What has been written before suggests that he is some kind of sexual predator exploiting woman which is not the case.
He is a very talently and gifted man who is well respected and has taught for many years paths of self development.
Writing stuff like this about someone is damaging personally but also damaging to the legitmate work he does helping many many people.

Offline earthw7

• Standing Rock Tourism
Oh my sunshine but this has nothing to do with Native people of america so whatever he is teaching
is wrong
In Spirit

Offline debbieredbear

• Global Moderator
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Sunshine,

Hawkins is involved with the "twisted Hairs" run by fraud Harley "swift deer" Reagan. There is a thread on Reagan and his perverted teachings here. That is not Native and has been denounced by the Cherokee Nation.

Autumn

It is interesting how so many old threads are being re-opened by "followers" of those people in an apparent attempt to rehabilitate their reputations (at least that seems so to me).  It is also interesting how Mr. Hawken's website link is blocked if you try to click on the link inside this forum.  I didn't know you could do that.  I learn something new every day!