Author Topic: Trail of Tears  (Read 16107 times)

Offline mysticknt

• I Love YaBB 2!
Trail of Tears
« on: February 24, 2008, 06:33:12 pm »
 is there a list anywhere of all the people who walked the trail of tears as we got a "cherokee" here in the UK claims her grandmother was on the walk. she is returning to the states in march as her visa has run out

grandmother name Bearclaw
granddaughter BJ Hawks-Shadow aka Rebecah Jane Hall (nee Tilton)
claims she from texas/new mexico area

frederica

Re: Trail of Tears
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2008, 07:21:31 pm »
The Claremore Ok Chapter of The Trail of Tears Association was working on a project to be published of the 1835 census plus doing research on survivors and grave markers. But do not know if they ever published as yet.

Offline educatedindian

• Administrator
Re: Trail of Tears/BJ Hawks Shadow
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2008, 02:01:10 pm »
Hall/Hawk's Shadow:

http://www.gardinersworld.com/content/view/45/56/
October 7th Mid-West and Wales Pagan Federation Autumn Gathering 7th October 2006 9am to 6pm Whitchurch Civic Centre, Whitchurch, Shropshire. Speakers: Steve Ludford, Carolyn Guy,
>>>B. J. Hawks' Shadow, Steve Mitchell, Michael Dames, Mark Olly and some guy called Phil Gardiner. The Mid-West and Wales Pagan Federation Summer Camp is: 7th, 8th and 9th July 2006 Nr Whitchurch, Shropshire.
Speakers to Include: Kevin and Carolyn Guy, Dan Ryng, Gareth Williams, Steve Mitchell, Julie Gater, Steve Jones, Michael Dames. (See www.myddle-earth.co.uk for more info)

http://www.healthypages.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=14845
lw23babe
Hi,
If you get chance to do a workshop with BJ Hawks Shadow, I would say it would be great, but she isn't in your area!
She is a Native American Medicine Woman, a direct decendant of the Cherokee Wolf Clan of Denton Texas.

http://www.ilkleyfestival.com/exhibitors.htm
THE FESTIVAL | DATES | WORKSHOPS | DIRECTIONS | EXHIBITORS INFO | CONTACT US | PRESS NEWS | THERAPIES | LINKS
Who will be at the Festival on October 28th. & 29th
Hawke-Shadow www.Hawks-Shadow.co.uk
 BJ Hawk Shadow
0778 2500 910 

Her website is down, not even cached. This was the google summary.

"Hawks Shadow Cherokee Medicine Woman who attends the Aspects Health and Therapy Fairs and Mind Body Spirit Fairs. Medicine Card Readings with Hawks Shadow."

The Trail of Tears was 170 years ago. I don't see how that would be possible, even if her grandma was very young during the Trail and Hall is very elderly. Steve Russell, a Cherokee law professor, talked about his great great great great grandmother being on the Trail.

Offline dabosijigwokush

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2008, 04:29:46 am »

Offline mysticknt

• I Love YaBB 2!
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2008, 11:29:51 am »
well she on her way home soon
but she hoping to come back but i think it will be in another part of the UK she used to many people around here so cant see her being welcomed back

Offline ickle_pixie

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2008, 10:57:31 pm »
speaking as some one who has facilitated and attended workshops by hall/hawk's shadow i can say that the information posted here is incorrect. Hall doesn't claim her grandmother died on the trail of tears at all. that is simply incorrect. her grandmother died in a hospital

what her credibility has to do with her movements i don't know

she is an an excellent teacher and very genuine and will certainly be welcomed with open arms to this part of the country - as i'm sure she will be to many other parts too

Offline Tsisqua

• Native American Unity ~ NAU
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2008, 11:20:50 pm »
http://web.archive.org/web/20070825213609/http://www.hawks-shadow.co.uk/

I didnt realize card readings had anything to do with Native American Spirituality...I figured Tarot readings were an Indo-European divination method....but forgive me if Im wrong.

Plus.... money should never accepted by authentic holy people in exchange for Indian religious ceremonies like sweat lodges or sun dances.....nor for religious items like medicine bags or smudged items. Selling dreamcatchers or fetish carvings online is one thing....but don't believe information provided by anyone who is trying to charge people for smudging or blessing anything....making medicine....or letting them take part in a sweat lodge or dance. They are not authentic sources of information...nor are they people to be trusted.....shamanism/journeying workshop??....oh my.

There are no leaders in Unity

frederica

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2008, 11:23:15 pm »
Well, that clears that up, now the other problem is "she is a reader of Indian Medicine Cards". There is  really no such thing in in Traditional Culture. Sounds Nuage or commerical to me. Maybe you can clear this up.  http://web.archive.org/web/20070825213609/http://www.hawks-shadow.co.uk/  Another problem is she charges upfront fees for services, that's rather unusual. Maybe you could clear that up also.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2008, 11:27:43 pm by frederica »

Offline Tsisqua

• Native American Unity ~ NAU
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2008, 11:37:16 pm »
ickle_pixie....What does her workshop entail exactly?
There are no leaders in Unity

Offline Barnaby_McEwan

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2008, 12:02:23 am »
she is an an excellent teacher and very genuine

Very genuine? As opposed to a little bit genuine? Are you in a position to evaluate the claims of any allegedly Indian person? How many other Indians have you ever met? How many years have you lived in a Cherokee community? Any Indian community?

Offline Kevin

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2008, 12:22:38 pm »
I wonder why it is wannabes attach themselves more often than not to the Cherokee? Who cursed the Cherokee in this way? I bet I've encountered over 200 people claiming to be part Cherokee - I'd like to see a fake Crow or Nez Perce or Kiowa once in a while, mabye even a fake Comanche now and then.

Offline BlackWolf

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2009, 02:49:39 am »
Also, The Drennen Roll of 1852.  This was the first census of the new arrivals in 1839.  Its listed by district and family groups.  This roll can be found in "Cherokee Roots" by Bob Blakenship.  It may be online. 

Offline Juliet

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2009, 01:35:10 am »
The Cherokee are one of the 'famous' tribes.  They had their own writing system (devised by Sequoia), lived in towns with farms, and had generally adopted many trappings of white culture.  This didn't save them when whites wanted their land.  (Ever notice that?  The colonized adopt every aspect of the colonizer's culture, but because they're insufficiently European in ancestry, they're still considered so inferior that they can be mistreated at will.)

People may pick on the Cherokee because much of the contact occurred long before the 1800s, making it unlikely that there could be people or records that could disprove the claims.  Then there's that song about the Cherokee that was really popular in the 1970s (not 'Half-Breed' by Cher; the other one).

Or Rabbit's been really busy these days....

Offline Defend the Sacred

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2009, 03:44:57 am »
I wonder why it is wannabes attach themselves more often than not to the Cherokee? Who cursed the Cherokee in this way? I bet I've encountered over 200 people claiming to be part Cherokee

I know. Same here. The white people who claim Cherokee are everywhere, or at least it seems so on the East coast.

Sometimes I wonder if people look up the Dawes Rolls, see one of their family surnames there, and decide they're Cherokee or Choctaw - without ever bothering to find out if they're related to the individual named on the rolls! IIRC, we've had people show up here on NAFPS who that turned out to be the case for... they basically hijacked someone else's genealogy.

And I also think Cher has something to do with it.   ;)

Offline debbieredbear

• Global Moderator
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2009, 04:41:57 pm »
And I also think Cher has something to do with it.

Yup. I agree. She used to claim a Cherokee GG grandmother. She is not Cherokee. One of my friend's called her a "Fresno Indian" because a lot of Armenian heritage people from Fresno, CA where Cher is from, would claim Indian rather than Armenian. Cher is French and Armenian. Period.