Author Topic: Need Some Help With A Suspected Fraud-CinnamonMoon  (Read 37629 times)

Offline MaryWhiteWolf

Need Some Help With A Suspected Fraud-CinnamonMoon
« on: June 13, 2007, 04:32:22 am »
Dear Everyone,

I was a member of a message board called Spirit Lodge that is registered on Yuku.com. It is owned and operated by  a woman by the name of CinnamonMoon who claims to be a "Medicine Woman" who had published a couple of books on Native American spirituality.

Now, the board is very prettily packaged as an "information library" on Native American shamanism, healing, stones, etc...I had a feeling this board was too good to be true, so I questioned CinnamonMoon after a  prayer circle. She became very defensive and nasty. Quite contrary to the "love and light" attitude that she tries to maintain on her board. When I pushed for answers to her tribe affiliation, etc.. I was told to shut up, put up or leave. I didn't back down and it was then that I was banned. She also clearly has a link to keen.com for "psychic readings" At $6.99 a minute, claiming to channel her "guides", using tarot cards, etc...Anyone who dared to stand up to her and question her was told to shut up or leave. Another red flag that she isn't on the up and up. She has developed a cult-like following that will do anything to protect her and their "home" on the web.  She has encouraged those within her inner circle to bully and intimidate others, following me from message board to message board..

Since I was banned from Spirit Lodge, I cannot stand up  for those innocents that she is taking advantage of. From what I understand, she has been doing this for a long time.  I'd like to see her investigated and hopefully put out of business for good.

Here is her website: http://spiritlodge.yuku.com

She can also be found on keen.com if you click on where is says "looking for a certain advisor". If you read her feedback it's all nothing but positive. Another red flag to be sure.

She also has a friend   there who is white and is behaving as though she is Native American and who writes "articles"  there by the name of Silver Dreamer.

Now, I don't claim to be Native American although my great-grandmother was Cherokee.  My grandfather was adopted and so was I, so I definitely cannot claim Native American lineage.

Thank you so much for whatever help that you can give!  :)

MaryWhiteWolf

Offline debbieredbear

• Global Moderator
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Re: Need Some Help With A Suspected Fraud-CinnamonMoon
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2007, 04:43:23 pm »
Just from the look of her website, and the fact she won't tell you what tribe she is, I would say she is a fraud. However, in the interest of fairness, I will put bthis into Research Needed for now. I don't have time to do much research at this time, however, there are people on this board who may know something. Thjere are also some people with really good investigative skills.

Offline Moma_porcupine

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2007, 05:39:50 pm »
Hi Mary

I'm glad you found this website .

Good for you for spotting the red flags and not being afraid to ask questions .

People posting here don't always agree on everything , but if you spend some time reading , it will  make you think - which is always good ! There is also a long list in the recommended section of trustworthy sources to learn from .   

I took a look at that website and it looks like the Cheezewiz Tribe .  :o  Maybe thats why Cinnamon Moon didn't want to say what tribe she belongs to . The Cheezewiz Tribe are very secretive about that sort of thing ...   ;)

Sometimes I really think there should be some sort of award , given for managing to completely blandify and plasticize Native culture and traditions  . In my opinion , this website would definently be a contender .

Whats sad , is genuine people who don't know any better get involved in these groups , and it can be really hard to seperate the completely useless out of context imaginary stuff ,  from the friendships , sense of community and the bits of truth mixed in with all that garbage . I recently had a talk with a friend, who for years has been involved in a group which is based on learning out of context / fake Native  "teachings" . This person is just now begining to sense something is wrong , but it is all mixed up with their friends and social life . As this person was involved for quite a while this has also become a part of their personal history .  Over a few years ,  we all make some good changes and gain insights and wisdom . Now this person is having a really hard time because these false "teachings" get credited for the good that was in their own self , and good things that would have happened anyway . Mixed up with that is stuff they are now realizing is lies and abuse of power . So now this person is having to go over the past few years and pick the good out from the garbage . What a mess  !

Even if these groups at first seem to satisfy some need , if they aren't based on reality , and what is taught is out of context , down the road these Koolaid cyberspace versions of Native traditions , almost always leave people more empty and confused than they were when they got involved . 
« Last Edit: June 13, 2007, 05:48:24 pm by Moma_porcupine »

Offline MaryWhiteWolf

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2007, 06:11:07 pm »
Hello debbieredbear, Hello Moma_porcupine  :)

It is a great pleasure and honor to meet you acquaintances.  :)

I am so glad that I found this website too. I just didn't know where to turn.  :'(  I've even spoken with some elders about this woman and they told me that what she is doing is wrong, so that helped confirm my feelings.

I've always been a strong soul so I don't do well with being bullied, especially by a suspected fraud. I think she and her bretheren are seriously afraid that I'm going to come back, expose them for what they really are and that will be the end of their board. Hence, having a few of her "lackeys"- I call them "thugs" for their attitude and nastiness, following me around.  As if that's going to stop me from trying to find help to report her. 

Her website is definitely of the Cheezewiz  tribe. Completely managing to fool and blind everyone seeking some real spiritual teachings. How someone like that can sleep at night, I'll never know.

CinnamonMoon has two books out called "A Medicine Woman Speaks" (as if this isn't a red flag)  and "To Be A Feather In Spirit's Wing". They can be found on amazon.com

She's based out of Minneapolis, Minnesota. I lived and worked in Minnesota for 8 1/2 years with my husband who is a born and raised  native from  there and we both have never heard of her. Another red flag.

Her board isn't based on reality. It's based on feeding her ego and filling her pocketbook out of genuine people's feelings who don't know any better. As I said, I was banned from there when I stood up to her and asked questions. I can't be that  voice for the innocents and that hurts more than you'll ever know. As Winston Churchill once said,  "You have enemies? Good. It means that somewhere, sometime   you stood up for something". Yes, it has made me enemies. I'd rather do the right thing than    go along to get along with a fraud.

I'm so sorry to hear that your friend is going through such a painful experience from such a board like this. Just when you think that there's progress, then they back-slide. It's a never-ending cycle until complete realization hits that they've been had.  :'(

Offline MaryWhiteWolf

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2007, 06:50:10 pm »
I meant to add this in my reply post, but forgot it.  :-[ I'm very sorry about that.  :-[

Here is a link to CinnamonMoon's Keen.com homepage where you can read about her "qualifications" on giving psychic readings.

http://www.keen.com/memberpub/homepage.asp?user=cinnamonmoon

Thank you in advance for any help that you can give!  :)

MaryWhiteWolf

Offline educatedindian

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2007, 09:18:47 pm »
She lists Jamie Samms as a source.

"Pocket medicine wheels"? I picture someone walking around with jangling stones, trying in vain to rearrange them every time so they look like a wheel. DIY med wheels have become very trendy among Nuagers, who don't seem to realize medicine wheels that have a sacred purpose are not just for every crystal carrying Tom Dick and Harry.

"Clans of the wheel"? "Native astrology"? I believe she's been reading Sun Bear.

"Elemental forces" sounds Wiccan. So does the "cup opf abundance".

She recommends Elizabeth Jenkins, Carter Rivard, and Mitch Albom as authors. Also "meditation decks".

Except for the Lakota Ribbon dance, I don't see a single thing that's tribal specific. Most is not Native, and those that claim to be are generic NDN. My guess is she's 100% Euro, or she'd brag about it.

Offline MaryWhiteWolf

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2007, 10:44:19 pm »
Yes, she does list Jamie Samms as a source. Always has from what I can remember.  She started up that Medicine Wheel  talk about 18 months- 2 years ago, soon after I was banned. I learned that I could go "invisible' on the website and just read. I'm still banned under my old name and here in the middle of this past May I was sent a note from her Administrator named "mouse" AKA Cedar  AKA Cedar Rose  ( who is Dutch by the way and her  real name is Maartje) that I'm still banned. Why would they do that two years after I was banned originally?  ::) It doesn't make sense unless they are still so afraid that I'll come back under another name  and call them to the carpet on their fraudulent behavior and ways. I think they flatter themselves too much to think that I'd actually want to be a part of their little "cult". ::) I do   know that they just transferred Spirit Lodge over from ezboard to yuku just over the past few months. It's free to join and register there.  :)

Clans of the wheel? What is that? Native Astrology?  Never heard of it. Sounds fishy to me. I don't know what she's been reading but she sure fancies herself an "expert".

Elemental forces is Wiccan- She has a Christian/Wiccan high priestess in her fold. Elemental forces is also a term that ghost hunters use to describe a type of haunting. Meditation decks? What are those? My  guess too  is that she's Euro and is bragging about being Native and how she's doing this for the community.

You see, I thought that she was a fraud. I'm so glad that I came here and that my feelings on her are being validated.  :) Please be careful if you choose to confront her. She can be very nasty and she won't hesitate to put her "thugs" upon youi f they don't manage to think of doing it for themselves. If confronted, she may go underground and her hiding place will be Minna's Place on ezboard.com

Offline debbieredbear

• Global Moderator
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2007, 11:22:19 pm »
"Clans of the Wheel" and "Native Astrology" are some of the BS that Sun Bear, aka Vincent LaDuke, made up. He even admitted to doing so to a friend of mine. Said it was something that he had "envisioned." Not had a vision about.

http://ewebtribe.com/BearTribe/index.html

http://www.ewebtribe.com/StarSpiderDancing/wheel.html

You will notice that she even uses the same animals as Sun Bear did. This all came out of Sun Bear's book, Earth Astrology. Most native people consider Sun Bear to have been a fraud.,

Offline MaryWhiteWolf

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2007, 12:06:51 am »
Good gravy, you're right, debbieredbear! :o What a shame that he admitted to doing so to a friend of yours. It's sad and it's wrong.  >:(

Yes, she does use the same animals as Sun Bear did. Thank you for pointing that out to me.  :) Does this mean that we can believe her to be  a fraud?

Offline MaryWhiteWolf

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2007, 12:29:05 am »
How can we confront CinnamonMoon since  I've been banned from Spirit Lodge and how can we inform  her "members" that she's been defrauding them? Also, how can we inform Native groups of her fraud? Is it possible to get a case brought against her for fraud?

Offline Moma_porcupine

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2007, 02:02:47 am »
Here is a bit more information about Cinnamon Moon ( I can't see anything that says her real name - surely her Mom didn't name her that ?  :o )

www.kittsdream.com/Books/medicine%20woman%20speaks.htm
Cinnamon Moon is a medicine woman and ordained ULC minister with a foundation in the teachings of the Plains Indians and the eclectic studies of many other tribes.  She has walked her path as a student, teacher, and spiritual counselor for more than 35 years.

spiritlodge.yuku.com/topic/3195/t/MEET-THE-ADMINISTRATION.html

My professional path is as a Medicine Woman, non-denominational minister, and author. As an adopted blood-sister to the Sioux, Delaware, Mohawk, and Cherokee Nations, I have served as a member of a mixed-blood tribe. My roles there were those of Tribal Minister, Clan Chief, and Elder. I walk the Path of the Feather, a portion of that pathwork is serving Spirit through Spirit Lodge. These teachings along with others create an eclectic mixture of traditions that are my basis for sharing with you.

www.keen.com/categories/categorylist_expand.asp?sid=1241844&exstart=10&FeedbackType=0

I am Cinnamon Moon; Medicine Woman, Minister, and author of "A Medicine Woman Speaks". I have served as a Spiritual Advisor  to both private and commercial clients worldwide for over 35 years.

Please feel free to ask about the services I offer when you call. You can choose from the following: General Readings, Yearly Forecasts, Path of Destiny Readings, Dream Interpretations, or assistance with your path of spiritual development. Gift Certificates are available as well.

There probably isn't anything people can do to stop people like this , except to offer an alternative point of view , and encourage people to do some critical thinking . People who are more familiar with real Native culture can help people to think it through , by pointing out that what is being claimed as "Native" has about as much to do with real Native ways , as a Bugs Bunny cartoon has to do with real life. One problem is that people who aren't familiar with Native people and culture tend to get confused and give credit to people who don't deserve any , just because  someone claims what they are doing is Native wisdom or based in traditional teachings .

The funniest thing I saw on her website is the claim, that the website has it's own "animal totems" LOL

Folks over at Indianz.com seem to have found her website to be a good source of a few laughs .

http://www.indianz.com/board/post.asp?method=ReplyQuote&REPLY_ID=316676&TOPIC_ID=15226&
FORUM_ID=5

Generally speaking , people need to learn to ask questions and be really skeptical of ANYONE claiming to be a medicine person , as that in itself is usually a big red flag .

Offline MaryWhiteWolf

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2007, 02:56:38 am »
She didn't tell me her name, Moma_porcupine.  :'( I can't imagine her mother naming her that.She also never told me the name of the elder that she learned her "teachings" from.  I do know that she is a grandmother and she and her husband supposedly have four businesses (Gee, you'd think with all of those businesses, she'd hardly have time to be able to run a messageboard or to give "psychic readings". She also told me that she has a degree in psychology (So that's how she manages to do it to people!)

Her non-denominational "minister" title comes from the Universal Life Church. You know, one of those on-line "churches" that you can become a certified minister in about five minutes. Those "degrees" can come customized to your desires with the titles of shaman, wizard, priest, medicine woman, medicine man,  etc... Of course you have to pay extra for those. You can look it up on the net. The only thing that you can do with one  those degrees is perform weddings, baptisms and funerals. One cannot give mass, service, etc because they are NOT a fully ordained minister. So basically, her "minister" claim is hokey. I know this because I do have a friend who is an ordained Universal Life Church minister who got his ordination from them 30 years ago. He performs weddings, the odd funeral and the very occassional baptism. He  has a wedding business and told me all of this.

I, too, laughed when she said that her board has it's own animal "totems". LOL Those animal totems are the ones that her administration uses.

Her picture can be found on any of her "friend's lists". A good one to check out her Administrator "mouse" AKa Cdear Rose AKA Cedar. She is an overweight white woman. The picture doesn't lie.

I'm glad that at least another message board finds her laughable.

Offline MaryWhiteWolf

Just Remembered Something....-CinnamonMoon
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2007, 03:11:47 pm »
I just remembered that CinnamonMoon  has a "sister" who posts there every once and awhile. I think  her name begins with either a "C" or an "S". It's similar to "CrystalMoon", if I remember correctly.

These people change their names like people change their socks. I   think it makes them feel like they've grown and need  to "shed the old skin".

Personally ,to the outside she may sound logical and appear logical, but I think she's just pulling poop out of her butt by throwing in things from Sun Bear and  Jamie Samms to make herself appear "legitimate".

Since she claims to be affiliated with these different tribes, maybe   your sources could  start asking those tribe's leaders questions about a woman in their midst being an Elder, Tribal Leader, etc and what name that she used while among them?  :)

Offline dabosijigwokush

« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2007, 02:42:55 am »
kittsdream.com   Whois Form
Registrant:
Kitt's Dream
   P.O. Box 174
   New Boston, NH 03070
   US

Domain Name: KITTSDREAM.COM

Administrative Contact, Technical Contact:
      Kitt's Dream        Kitt@kittsdream.com
      P.O. Box 174
      New Boston, NH 03070
      US
      603-497-3788

Record expires on 21-Jan-2009.
   Record created on 21-Jan-2000.

Domain servers in listed order:

DNS1.INFINOLOGY.NET
   DNS2.INFINOLOGY.NET

Registration information:  http://www.networksolutions.com

Offline AlaskaGrl

« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2007, 02:53:39 am »
Elemental forces is Wiccan- She has a Christian/Wiccan high priestess in her fold. Elemental forces is also a term that ghost hunters use to describe a type of haunting.

Never heard of "Elemental Forces" in regard to a "type" of haunting.  Elementals yes.     hmmmm  I think this is some new terminology.
I do get so tired of these ghost hunter shows, clubs and such that have popped up all over the place the last few years...   And I have never heard of the
"Cup of Abundance"  but then I am not Wiccan   heh  It's more new terminology I suppose.   It has no place with me.

Lurking Linda