Author Topic: Genealogy Inquiries - Can you help me find my Native ancestors?  (Read 5090 times)

Offline MixedBlood95

Genealogy Inquiries - Can you help me find my Native ancestors?
« on: September 11, 2018, 05:20:58 pm »
 Hello all, I'm a descendant of Newton Evans and Catherine Marsh of Jackson County Alabama. In 1906 Newton Evans, my other ancestor Samuel Evans and his wife Nancy Chavers along with many other Evans and Chavers cousins applied for the Guion Miller Roll and rejected for not living in the Cherokee Nation of 1835. In 1830 some are found in Campbell County Tennessee.
 In 1910 20 families including my Newton Evans, were classified as American Indians in the federal census.
 In 1948 "Surviving Indian Groups of the Eastern U.S" by W. Gilbert, recorded the remnants of Cherokees in Jackson County Alabama. Newton didn't die til the 1990's, so I'm sure he would have had something to do with this form of recognition of their existence.
My documents give me access to enroll with the State recognized Cherokee Tribe of Northeast Alabama or the Echota, but I know both groups have frauds setting on their "tribal" council.
All my legal documents read American Indian, but I'm an non enrolled Native. It makes my head swell with questions.
Are any of you members of the state recognized Cherokee groups in Alabama, if so I'd appreciate some insight on them I may not have.

As well, if an individual can prove their ancestry is American Indian and of Cherokee origin, why will the CNO not take them in? Seems we'd be wanting to hold on to all our people with real claims.
I look forward to correspondence.

Kirk_73

Genealogy Inquiries - Can you help me find my Native ancestors?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2018, 10:19:12 pm »
Hello,
I have come to this forum seeking correct information about my family genealogy. I was unaware of, and surprised to find, a native connection. I am now aware that some people invent native hearitage and I think that has eroded the members of ancestry. My research for the most part is based off as much sourced material as possible.

I plan to inquire in the proper forum, but my concern is with Misahpelewa Big Turkey Cornstalk (1660-1694), and if this is indeed a proper line leading through to my known family.

Thank you.

Kirk_73

Cherokee Chief Nathan Kirkland "Cheesequire"
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2018, 10:41:07 pm »
I am a descendent of the father of Chief Nathan Kirkland of the Cherokee.  Or, so the Ancestry is showing. I see there are some confusions regarding Nathan Kirkland's ethnicity, and if he was indeed Cheesequire. I believe this Chief did exist, but was not within my family and was not Nathan Kirkland.  I was told by family, that my Kirkland family did not have native ancestry.
I will also state that many Kirklands were confused about this time. I am working to indeed confirm my family aligns with Benjamin Kirkland, listed as father of Nathan Kirkland. There are many indications within Ancestry.com stating 'native' names among my family - such as Hopping Ben, and Legs-a-walking. Are these valid? This is what I am uncovering.

https://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Kirkland-1603

https://www.genealogy.com/forum/surnames/topics/kirkland/3008/   -- topic about N. Kirkland not being Cherokee.

How can you help? Possibly direct me toward any info authenticating Cheesequire as an individual not related to my family, or otherwise.

How can I help you help me?

Thank you,
Kirk_73.

Offline Defend the Sacred

• Global Moderator
Re: Kirk_73 Introduction
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2018, 01:09:25 am »
Please read the main page and the pinned posts in the threads. We are a working forum dedicated to protecting people from fraud and abuse by spiritual exploiters.

We don't do general genealogy research for people here. The only time genealogy even comes into play is if the frauds and exploiters we are exposing are non-Natives making false heritage claims. Even then, it's really not about whether someone can find some distant ancestors, it's whether that community claims them, and whether they are a participating, accountable part of that community.

The Etc section has some discussions about advice for people raised non-Native who are looking into genealogy, either having found distant heritage, or who are hoping to find it. If you want to hire a professional genealogist, that's up to people if they want to contact you. Some of the people we work with are certainly professional-level, and some are professionals, but that's not the purpose of this site.

Offline MixedBlood95

Re: Genealogy Inquiries - Can you help me find my Native ancestors?
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2018, 08:25:33 am »
Thanks for highjacking my post to talk about your fictional ancestry.
 ::)