Author Topic: Crow Swimsaway and Bekki Shining Bearheart  (Read 5387 times)

Offline Ardal

Crow Swimsaway and Bekki Shining Bearheart
« on: November 13, 2016, 08:21:46 pm »
http://crowswimsaway.org/

http://www.church-of-earth-healing.org/

"Crow Swimsaway was born Martin A. Nettleship, his name was legally changed in 1995. Bekki Shining Bearheart was born Rebeka Vaughn Kuhre, her name was legally changed in 1995"

Charges for training/healing:

"APPRENTICE TRAINING IN SHAMANISM

SHAMAN’S APPRENTICE TRAINING
SHAMAN’S APPRENTICE TRAINING
This is my most complete advanced shamanic training, bringing to bear 30+ years of shamanic healing and teaching experience, and the writing of 5  books on shamanic topics.
In 12 monthly meetings, apprentices will become well grounded in every aspect of shamanic practice including all the major shamanic healing techniques and an intense connection with the ancient earth energies at Dragon Waters (in the Appalachian foothills of South Eastern Ohio).
Please contact me for details of the application process. The training is limited to 4 students each year. The cost for 2016 is $1,800 for the year."

and

"I  prefer to work directly and in person with clients, each session taking about two hours. The charge per session is $95.  I  sometimes do shamanic healing at a distance after an extensive phone conversation with the client. The charge is the same, with the client also covering the cost of the calls, at least two or three of which are usually required. (I   have done successful shamanic healing for clients in India, Bahrain, Singapore, the UK and several of the United States.)"
--

"Crow Swimsaway, PhD and Bekki Shining Bearheart, LMT, are shamanic healers, teachers and spiritual counselors who have been teaching shamanism together since 1982. We offer energy healing and bodywork, shamanic journeying, ally retrieval, shamanic extraction, soul retrieval, and psychopomp work. We provide shamanic divination and astrology and tarot consultations as a source of guidance. As licensed ministers, we perform legal weddings (handfasting) as well as other ceremonies and rituals based in pagan and shamanic traditions. "

Charges of sexual misconduct: http://www.athensnews.com/news/local/couple-sues-new-marshfield-church-shamanic-healer/article_b8f8f680-990b-11e5-a5f6-b372bf58ab88.html

Offline John Kester

Re: Crow Swimsaway and Bekki Shining Bearheart
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2017, 08:58:03 am »
This person is known personally to me for many years.

1.  The charges of misconduct were dismissed with prejudice (against the complainant):

https://www.athensnews.com/news/local/court-dismisses-suit-against-local-shaman/article_db552676-3894-11e6-a99a-970ba25786e2.html

2. Crow Swimsaway is very clear throughout his writings and teachings that he is by no means Native American, or anything other than of European descent.   Having attended several workshops and trainings with him I have not once seen him appropriate to himself any claims of native ancestry, or native practices.  He holds a genuine phD in anthropology from the University of Chicago.  He has always been highly respectful of indigenous traditions worldwide and makes clear boundaries between his work and anything done by an indigenous person.

Offline RedRightHand

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2017, 05:49:21 pm »
Many neopagans and newagers think it's fine to be a pretendian as long as they "don't claim to be Native themselves." This is a pretty stock response. The other one is that, "It's OK because they changed some details."

Several of us here have met them as well, and are familiar with the pretendian workshops and advice they give. They tattoo people with stolen Native imagery, tell people to wear medicine bags, and other things directly ripped off from exact Native designs and cultural property. When people offer pretendian ceremonies, art and ceremonial permissions, it's still pretendian, even if they aren't claiming to be Native American themselves. Warnings like the one on this page may have made them more careful with what they post online, but too many of us have seen and heard what they do in person for your defense to hold water. 

Offline educatedindian

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2017, 03:18:17 pm »
This person is known personally to me for many years.

1.  The charges of misconduct were dismissed with prejudice (against the complainant):

https://www.athensnews.com/news/local/court-dismisses-suit-against-local-shaman/article_db552676-3894-11e6-a99a-970ba25786e2.html

2. Crow Swimsaway is very clear throughout his writings and teachings that he is by no means Native American, or anything other than of European descent.   Having attended several workshops and trainings with him I have not once seen him appropriate to himself any claims of native ancestry, or native practices.  He holds a genuine phD in anthropology from the University of Chicago.  He has always been highly respectful of indigenous traditions worldwide and makes clear boundaries between his work and anything done by an indigenous person.

More information like this is always welcome. Could you tell us how you know him? Bought ceremony, alleged healing, apprentice? The court record is certainly welcome.

Interesting, CS says his PhD is from London School of Economics. And it was way back in 69 or 71, depending on the website. Chicago was way back in 59. He was in school for 17 years, including a 3 year break. That's extremely long.

More relevant was that anthropology has a mixed record with Native peoples, mostly negative at the time he got his degrees. Setting yourself up as a "shaman" is considered unethical by most anthropologists today.

Offline John Kester

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2018, 02:12:06 pm »
I know him having been a client (both healing and some training.)

I must correct my previous post, the LSE origin of the PhD is correct.  I can confirm from first hand evidence that the qualifications are genuine.

I personally have a lot of respect for this person, as is obvious, so won't post in this thread again out of that respect - but nonetheless I am interested in this forum and its work, for which, thanks.