Author Topic: Josh Norman RedSkin Player  (Read 4114 times)

Offline White Horse

Josh Norman RedSkin Player
« on: August 23, 2016, 04:33:31 pm »
Claims to be Cherokee

We might be in for a pretty fun season with Josh Norman.

Norman, who said going from the Carolina Panthers to the Washington Redskins was “like going from a dictatorship to freedom,” had some interesting things to say in an ESPN the Magazine story, via the Washington Post. It should come as no surprise the All-Pro cornerback had no issue with talking about his new team’s controversial nickname.

“Redskins is not offensive to me,” Norman told ESPN. “I’m part Native American on both my mom’s and my dad’s side. It’s kind of a funny thing, though. A redskin playing for the Redskins.”
Living that life, some consider a Myth!

Offline milehighsalute

Re: Josh Norman RedSkin Player
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2016, 07:00:03 pm »
so much wrong with what he said......but first ill wait and see if he really is cherokee

if he aint then well.....you know how it goes

Piff

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2016, 07:25:07 pm »
"Then I guess we have Indian heritage with my great great grandmother being full blooded Cherokee."

Washington Post , 15 June 2016

http://www.pressreader.com/usa/the-washington-post/20160615/283201557582514

Sounds like he doesn't actually know his heritage and that the family story may not be true.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/redskins/josh-norman-is-the-dark-knight-on-the-field-a-son-of-rural-south-carolina-off-it/2016/07/22/dc655282-4471-11e6-88d0-6adee48be8bc_story.html No Cherokee mention here.

His birth date and part of his parents' names can be found online. Josh Norman is young, surname is relatively common, and census records wouldn't be available until a few generations back from him, so his genealogy might be a challenge to work up.

Some Norman possibilities are all from Cherokee county, South Carolina. That could be the source of mistaken assumptions, many people assume (or wish) that past family residence in a Native American named county means they actually must be NDN.

Offline White Horse

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2016, 12:16:30 pm »
This gives the team owner another fake excuse to try to claim American Indians are not offended by the term Redskin.
Living that life, some consider a Myth!