Author Topic: Dori Midnight  (Read 12171 times)

Offline pemibear

Dori Midnight
« on: August 12, 2015, 02:15:09 am »
Has anyone done any research on Dori Midnight, western MA?  A friend just called and asked me about her because she was recommended to her as an herbalist and she notice that she claims Native heritage on her website.  She is concerned and doesn't want to support an imposter/fraud.  I did a search but couldn't find anything on her. 

Here is her website:  http://www.dorilandia.com/

"Dori Midnight is a community healer, herbalist, and educator, weaving traditional healing practices and social justice in her work.  Drawing on her training as a clinical herbalist and interfaith minister, as well as her heritage of Roma, Ashkenazi, and First Nations (Cherokee and Shawnee) ancestry, Dori's work is grounded in self-determinism, collective liberation, and the belief that healing ourselves is inseparable from healing our communities and the planet. Dori lives in Western Massachusetts, where she maintains a local and distance healing practice and teaches magic and community healing".

Lots of red flags, for me.  Thanks~

Offline loudcrow

Re: Dori Midnight
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2015, 05:58:48 pm »
Her real name is Dori Elizabeth Ehrlich.

Epiphany

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2015, 05:53:17 pm »
She also goes by Dori Morninglory on Facebook. Her FB community page is Dori Midnight Healing Arts.

She's using her heritage claims to appear special, this definitely is a red flag.

Offline loudcrow

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2015, 03:20:16 am »
I've researched her paternal ancestors to Morris J. Erhlich who was born in Russia. He married Ray Ellerin who was also born in Russia in 1887. Her paternal line is Jewish and also includes the surnames Dimond and Goldberg.

I've traced her maternal ancestors to Fredrick W. Straehle born about 1872 Ohio and his wife, Emma, who was born about 1876 in Canada. Their race is listed as
White on U.S. Census records.

I have not found anything yet to support her claim of having Native American ancestors.

Epiphany

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2015, 03:34:41 pm »
On her Dori Midnight Healing Arts Facebook page she has captioned an old photo of a woman as "grandma dimond". And she has added in a comment that this is where her own "magic" comes from.

Epiphany

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2015, 09:36:46 pm »
My heritage is a mix of Sephardic, Ashkenazi, Roma Gypsy, and First Nations (Cherokee/Shawnee)

http://www.dorilandia.com/

The "Roma Gypsy" identification is pretty much indication of outsider status also. Her self branding as "Roma Gypsy" is very problematic.

-------------
“Most people don’t know that appending the name ‘gypsy’ to my people is both wrong and pejorative,” says Hancock, the official ambassador to the United Nations and UNICEF for the world’s 15 million Romanies and the only Romani to have been appointed to the U.S. Holocaust Memorial Council. “‘Gypsy’ is simply a shortened form of Egyptian—that’s what many outsiders thought Romanies were.

“Most people don’t even have a minimal education about Romanies. They don’t know that seventy percent of the Romani population of Nazi-occupied Europe were murdered during the Holocaust. Or that we’re the largest ethnic minority in Europe but have no political strength, military strength, economic strength or a territory. Or, for that matter, that there are over one million Romani Americans.”

https://www.utexas.edu/features/archive/2003/romani.html

Offline Defend the Sacred

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2015, 10:32:07 pm »
Some folks from those communities do self-identify as "Gypsies." It is not universally seen as a slur or outsider term.

Which is not saying this woman has any kind of heritage from those communities, btw, just that you can't tell much based only on whether or not someone uses that term for themselves. You have to find out which community they are claiming, then whether that community claims them, AND whether members of that community use that term to self-identify.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2015, 10:34:16 pm by Yells At Pretendians »

Autumn

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2015, 10:34:13 pm »
Most of my family heritage is tough and tiny Eastern Europeans- romanian, latvian, ukrainian, and roma gypsy. Throw in a little Cherokee and Spanish and now you understand why I am so short. 

http://midnightapothecary.blogspot.com/search?updated-min=2010-01-01T00:00:00-05:00&updated-max=2011-01-01T00:00:00-05:00&max-results=19

Autumn

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2015, 11:13:03 pm »
IMHO, she just can't seem to figure out which persecuted people she wants to claim as her own heritage in her marketing since it constantly changes -- but we have seen that before unfortunately.

Sometimes, it is Ashkenazi
Sometimes, it is Ashkenazi and Sephardic
Sometimes, it is Cherokee
Sometimes, it is Cherokee and Shawnee
Sometimes, it is Roma
Sometimes, it is Roma Gypsy
Sometimes, it is Spanish
Sometimes, it is romanian, latvian, ukrainian

In all of this, however, she is simply saying that she is of Jewish heritage (Ashkenazi, Sephardic), from the former Russian Empire (Romania, Latvia, Ukraine) with a touch of NDN (which is questionable).  She seems to be throwing in the Roma Gypsy for good measure.  Perhaps she has that in her heritage but I doubt it. 

Autumn

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2015, 11:34:47 pm »
I’m a community- based healer who sees people individually for healing work, as well as teaching and offering healing in community contexts. My work is rooted in collective liberation and self-determinism and draws on traditional healing modalities passed down to me through my bloodline of Roma, first nations Shawnee, Cherokee, Ashkenazi, and sephardi peoples.

http://midnightapothecary.blogspot.com/search?updated-min=2012-01-01T00:00:00-05:00&updated-max=2013-01-01T00:00:00-05:00&max-results=4

Offline loudcrow

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2015, 01:09:50 am »
Birth:    unknown
Death:    Jan. 11, 2011

Published in the Cleveland Jewish Times:

"Lucile Ehrlich (née Dimond), beloved wife of the late Arthur Ehrlich and Stan Markow; devoted mother of Ken and Steve Ehrlich; loving grandmother of Matthew, Gillian, Dori and Jason; great-grandmother of Ollie; dear sister of Bobbie Rosman, died Jan. 11 at age 92.

A longtime Cleveland resident, she moved to south Florida in 1983. She was much loved by her family and friends and will be missed. Her long marriage to Arthur A. Ehrlich was a happy and devoted one, and her subsequent marriage to Stan Markow in Florida was the same.

Lucile E Dimond
mentioned in the record of Arthur A Ehrlich and Lucile E Dimond
Name    Arthur A Ehrlich
Event Type    Marriage
Event Date    25 Aug 1940
Event Place    Cuyahoga, Ohio, United States
Age    27
Birth Year (Estimated)    1913
Father's Name    Morris J Ehrlich
Mother's Name    Ray Ellerin
Spouse's Name    Lucile E Dimond
Spouse's Age    21
Spouse's Birth Year (Estimated)    1919
Spouse's Father's Name    Nathan I Dimond
Spouse's Mother's Name    Frances I Goldberg
Citing this Record

"Ohio, County Marriages, 1789-2013," database with images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:2QWC-T8S : accessed 15 August 2015), Arthur A Ehrlich and Lucile E Dimond, 25 Aug 1940; citing Cuyahoga, Ohio, United States, reference ; county courthouses, Ohio; FHL microfilm 1,902,385.

She treasured her active life in Cleveland where she participated in numerous charitable organizations.

Her parents, the late Frances and Nathan Dimond, were longtime and active members of Park Synagogue.

Contributions are suggested to the Nathan and Frances Dimond Camp Fund at Park Synagogue.

Funeral services will be held Sun., Jan. 16, at 11:45 a.m. at Star of David Funeral Chapel, 7701 Bailey Road, North Lauderdale, Fla. 33068."

Burial:
Unknown
Specifically: Private services were held.

Offline loudcrow

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2015, 01:21:46 am »
Nathan Dimond
United States Census, 1910
Name    Nathan Dimond
Event Type    Census
Event Year    1910
Event Place    Perth Amboy Ward 3, Middlesex, New Jersey, United States
Gender    Male
Age    15
Marital Status    Single
Race    White
Race (Original)    White
Relationship to Head of Household    Son
Relationship to Head of Household (Original)    Son
Birth Year (Estimated)    1895
Birthplace    New Jersey
Father's Birthplace    Russia
Mother's Birthplace    Russia

Household       Role Gender   Age  Birthplace
Lube Dimond    Head    M    40    Russia
Sarah Dimond    Wife    F    40    Russia
Fanny Dimond    Daughter    F    17    New Jersey
Nathan Dimond    Son    M    15    New Jersey
Emma Dimond    Daughter    F    14    New Jersey
Samuel Dimond    Son    M    12    New Jersey
Philip Dimond    Son    M    11    New Jersey
Simon Dimond    Son    M    6    New Jersey
Walter Dimond    Son    M    5    New Jersey
Mary Schocklet    Servant    F    24    Russia

Citing this Record

"United States Census, 1910," database with images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MKB4-H25 : accessed 15 August 2015), Nathan Dimond in household of Lube Dimond, Perth Amboy Ward 3, Middlesex, New Jersey, United States; citing enumeration district (ED) 30, sheet 5A, family 71, NARA microfilm publication T624 (Washington, D.C.: National Archives and Records Administration, n.d.); FHL microfilm 1,374,912.

There is another Nathan Dimond who was born in 1885 in Romania. His wife's name was Sarah. Her claim to being descended from Romanians may be the result
of sloppy genealogy work.

Autumn

« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2015, 01:58:24 am »
My teacher/mentor/spirit mother is someone I have been working with since I was 22. Cybele http://www.cybeleswell.com/ mentored me in intuitive healing practices and stone medicine

http://midnightapothecary.blogspot.com/

Her teacher, Cybele, AKA Suzette Rochat, cites Starhawk as one of her teachers.  Starhawk is mentioned on the NAFPS forum many times, although she does not have her own thread. 

Offline Defend the Sacred

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2015, 02:46:43 pm »

Offline educatedindian

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2015, 04:38:04 pm »
Midnight emailed me, giving her account of her mostly Jewish and a bit of Roma ancestry. Her family has a vague confused account of distant Native ancestry, but she does not claim to teach Native ways.

First is her email followed by my response.

---------
Hello there,
My name is Dori Midnight- I am a community based herbalist and counselor in Western Massachusetts. I recently found a thread about me on your website and I wanted to reach out directly and address the concerns expressed. First, I want to say that I completely share the concerns about people falsely claiming to be Native- I am aware of how often that happens and that is an extension of the racism and genocide of a White supremacist culture. It is also a deep concern of mine when white people appropriate any Native healing traditions, symbols, or practices. I really want to honor the intentions of your site.

I understand that your goal is to create a forum for people to research and warn others about people who are pretending to be Native or who appropriate Native traditions. I think that is important work and I'm writing because I want to be clear and honest about my heritage and my work.  I read on your website that you are willing to retract warnings when you receive new information and I'm hoping that this will be clarifying.

Most families, as you probably know, have more to them than the facts that can be dug up on the internet. While everything on the thread is true, there are missing pieces. My legal name was Dori Elizabeth Ehrlich. I changed it to Midnight, which was a name on my grandmother's side, when she died as a tribute to her. My father's side is almost completely Ashkenazi Jewish- his grandparents immigrated from Latvia and Romania at the turn of the century. My father's mother's mother's mother's mother was Roma Gypsy. I understand that is a controversial word, but it is the term my great- grandmother used to describe her great- grandmother. I grew up very close to her and she passed down a lot of wisdom to me.
My mother's side is a bit more complicated because there has been a lot of secrets and hiding, in order to assimilate. My mother's father is both Sephardic (Spanish/North African) and Ashkenazi (Ukrainian) Jew- his father (Estes) took his wife's name (Stromberg) so that he would sound more white. As for my mom's maternal side, I grew up not knowing anything about her history- I was told she was perhaps Irish. As she was dying, when I was in my early 20s, I learned more-  she was an orphan, in and out of foster homes and orphanages until she was adopted by the Strahle's (the people who were cited on your site) when she was 14. My uncle revealed to me that she was Shawnee and/or Cherokee, and part Irish and that she was part of a massive removal of young Indian and mixed children in the 1900s. I have never been able to find out more, but have tried. As far as I know, she was not enrolled or claimed any affiliation and I don't know any of the original names and can't find any records so far.

In my work, I don't claim to practice any kind of Native American traditions or use language like "medicine woman" or "shaman". My practice is informed mostly by Eastern European Pagan and Jewish healing traditions, Western herbalism and my own intuition- this is what I know and feel comfortable practicing.  I offer counseling and affordable plant medicine to help support people's healing. Though I yearn for more information about my family history, I have made peace with the fact that colonialism has erased my maternal grandmother's story, like it has for many people of mixed heritage. I spoke with a few Native and Rom elders over the years to get their thoughts on how to identify publicly, since I appear white and am culturally Jewish, and they encouraged me to reclaim what was lost. So when I list the different lineages I come from, it is not to seem "special" but to be honest and transparent, and honor those who came before me. I hope to do it with respect and integrity.

I hope this is clarifying. In an ideal world, the people who initiated the thread would have contacted me directly to ask me about my heritage. It's painful to read the things people wrote on the site, though I understand where it's coming from.   I'm wondering if you would consider removing the thread- I have worked for many years to create a thriving practice and I'd like to continue to be of service to the communities I work with- mostly LGBTQ people, activists of color, and low income folks. The thread contains incomplete information about my ancestry, leading to questions about my credibility. While I was upset about what was posted, it has led me to want to share more about my story, and hopefully will be helpful for other people of mixed heritage. Thank you for considering my request and for the work you do.

In gratitude,
Dori

--------
Hello,
Thanks for writing us. We always welcome more information that may get to the heart of these matters. I will post your email to give your side of this.

I don't claim any expertise in Roma culture, but there are others on the site knowing far more than I do. As far as the Shawnee or Cherokee family claim, this seems very vague. I do not know of any removal of either tribe or their children in the 1900s. This sounds like a misunderstanding or confusion over either the Trail or Tears or boarding schools. But if you do not claim to be teaching Native ways, this needs to be noted also.

When a person turns out to be not involved in exploitation or making false claims, the thread is moved to Archives and marked No Longer a Matter of Concern. We'll discuss if we should do this with the thread on you.
Al Carroll, moderator