Author Topic: Rainbow Gathering in Black Hills  (Read 60231 times)

Offline RedRightHand

Re: Rainbow Gathering in Black Hills
« Reply #60 on: June 26, 2015, 05:14:39 pm »
Cordier has basically admitted that they are being paid to exploit rifts in the Lakota community.

This is an outside job, during a time when Lakota, LDN, and Plains NDN unity is needed to stop the pipelines and the man camps.

A small group of drug users are being supported as they go behind elders' backs, as they cheer for elders to disappear so young people who weren't even raised in community can inflict their colonized ways on the community, sow discord, and pave the way for devastation of the landbase.

Notice who is supporting him. Notice who has a history of destroying communities and activist groups. Notice who has money to support the disruptive people.

Sometimes, when you choose fools to disrupt things for you, the fools forget to keep your secrets.

https://www.facebook.com/leo.cordier.1/posts/10153857937613973?comment_id=10153859151808973&offset=0&total_comments=7&comment_tracking={%22tn%22%3A%22R1%22}&pnref=story

Leo Cordier
Resources are being provided by a secret circle, for whatever I and a small group chooses. This secret circle wants us to survive and succeed. 

Offline RedRightHand

« Reply #61 on: June 26, 2015, 10:27:38 pm »
Behold "The Lakotas who invited the Rainbows."

Here is the great "Lakota/Rainbow Alliance, " the young people who want to oust the elders and be the new leaders. And the Drainbows who smoked a bunch of pot with them. The squatting boy on the right, with the wavy hair, blonde beard and joint in his hand, is Leo Cordier, who set this betrayal up.  :o

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10152963986516966&set=gm.848039695288139&type=1

https://www.facebook.com/leo.cordier.1/posts/10153856790198973

Offline kahtboosted

« Reply #62 on: June 27, 2015, 04:39:28 am »
Behold "The Lakotas who invited the Rainbows."

Looks like the typical shower-boycotting filthy hippy trash.

Autumn

« Reply #63 on: June 27, 2015, 12:25:53 pm »
From that photo, I count 17 people and about 9-10 bags of trash.  Wow!  Impressive! 

Leo says that he is 26 years old and an old soul, but from his photos he looks like he is around 50, so he is more like an old person with an old soul.  Too much drugs, Leo, too much drugs.

Offline educatedindian

• Administrator
« Reply #64 on: June 30, 2015, 02:45:07 pm »
http://nativenewsonline.net/currents/rainbow-family-leaders-want-to-deal-with-real-lakota/
Guest Commentary

What has been interesting about watching the Rainbow’s Gathering in the Black Hills fiasco unfold, as Lakota line up in support and opposition to the U.S. Forest Service permitted encampment for 20,000 on their sacred land, are the ways in which white Rainbows have been picking and choosing who is a “real Lakota” to them based on stereotypes and self interest.

Here is a group (the Rainbows), ostensibly without leaders themselves, trying to discern who the real authentic Native leaders are on Pine Ridge, a reservation with a long (and well-documented) history of discordant internal national politics. And the Rainbows are seeking these leaders to get approval after the fact for a decision they made without proper consultation, a fait accompli.

And, of course, they are relying on all the stereotypes of the “spiritual Indian” to dismiss “angry Indians” as not being real Lakota.

It’s such a strange playing out of all these issues Native people have been discussing through social media (#NotYourMascot) of the pigeonholing Native people face (and are limited by) created by stereotypes in the American consciousness. In this case, it is dividing a tribe for the benefit of a gathering on the 4th of July by a group of white anarchists in the Black Hills, sacred land still illegally held by the United States affirmed by the U.S. Supreme Court in 1980 in United States v. Sioux Nation of Indians.

A recent 2013 documentary “Red Cry” made by Cante Tenza, the Strong Heart Warrior Society that is leading the opposition against the Rainbow Gathering can be found on their website. In the documentary, the leaders of this group can be seen being interviewed about their views on the state of the Lakota Nation today. Contrary to the Rainbows dismissive assumption of these grassroots leaders who trace their society’s existence to Crazy Horse and the original akicita, these Lakota come across as thoughtful and active in issues on the Pine Ridge.

Not so thoughtful are some of the attacks on Native American dissenters by Rainbows on social media. Two Rainbows, Sadie Marie Whitmer and a White Buffalo Calfwoman Twin Deer Mother (her actual Facebook profile name) have issued threats to shut down a Native American woman, Toyah Browneyes’ (Cherokee) Facebook account using Facebook’s Real Name policy. Native American activists on Facebook have been retaliated against for their activism by the reporting of their Native surnames as fake.

Today, on the 139th anniversary of the Battle of Greasy Grass (to Americans, the Battle of the Little Big Horn) the Strong Heart Warrior Society is delivering an eviction notice to the Rainbow encampment. They are accompanied by Rainbows who agree with them. In their press release, they state, “The delegation will be peacefully asking the Rainbow gathering to vacate the land and “No Trespassing” signs will be posted to warn others coming in after the eviction. The Lakota vow to follow through with the eviction and will be monitoring the situation into the planned July gathering dates.”

Offline AClockworkWhite

« Reply #65 on: June 30, 2015, 03:16:02 pm »
It doesn't help matters when now people like Chase Iron Eyes are working with these clowns. His Facebook page is littered with collaboration/apologist posts and comments. Sorry... but I don't have a damn thing to learn from white men about our sacred ways and the future of my race. Sellouts gotta sellout, I suppose.
I came here for the popcorn and stayed for the slaying of pretenders.

Offline earthw7

• Standing Rock Tourism
« Reply #66 on: July 01, 2015, 10:27:00 am »
i think Chase is finding out it was not a good thing to side with this group because it is
so mixed up that half of the so called rainbow want to kill us and the other half was to pray for us
they are armed with the american lies, most want to get us high :o.
Strange
In Spirit

Offline Diana

• I Love YaBB 2!
« Reply #67 on: July 01, 2015, 01:44:32 pm »
i think Chase is finding out it was not a good thing to side with this group because it is
so mixed up that half of the so called rainbow want to kill us and the other half was to pray for us
they are armed with the american lies, most want to get us high :o.
Strange

Yeah I was shocked too when I read his facebook page. He thought those rainbow squatters would make good allies. I just don't know how he could make that connection...??? They have the worst reputation for culture appropriation, drugs, alcohol, nudity and just all around slackers. These aren't the kind of people I would want to be associated with,  professionally or socially,  especially for an attorney. Unless of course they were a client....very strange indeed.

Offline AClockworkWhite

« Reply #68 on: July 01, 2015, 08:00:02 pm »
Shock is the perfect word. I go read the blogs he's posted on LRI and I still can't believe what I'm reading. After ALL the stuff he said and the things so many of us believe about preserving our ways OUR way, and then this. It's disheartening.

Offline earthw7

• Standing Rock Tourism
« Reply #69 on: July 02, 2015, 06:57:18 pm »
I think he is finding out it was not a good choice, he met some old folks but did not meet the ones who are trouble makers
In Spirit

Offline AClockworkWhite

« Reply #70 on: July 03, 2015, 04:06:13 am »
I agree. It is easy to be deceived by a group that is notoriously fluid and so layered. They claim no leaders but seem to always have leaders to deal with local authorities. There is only one way to ensure that one is never fooled, and that is to not deal with any who are not already working with tribes or ones who are working to ensure these people are not allowed to hold these events at places like these.

Offline Defend the Sacred

• Global Moderator
« Reply #71 on: July 03, 2015, 03:50:12 pm »
White people who want access to NDN lands and culture will lie to get what they want. I'm not saying everyone does, but just look at history already. I am shocked that Chase took these people at their word and face value. Who does that?!

All it takes is a simple google search to find the news stories about the devastation this group has caused, and the lies they spread about NDNs. Even if he didn't want to listen to those of us who've dealt with these people before, he could have taken the time the rest of us did to go to their pages and see how they act, to see their disrespect towards women and elders, to see their belief they should be the better NDNs and invade ceremonies with their drugs and alcohol and violence against women. Even their older members, who seem sane at first, close ranks and defend the liars and appropriators in their midst when s*** gets real.

Of course a few of their people, maybe even most, will ramble on about peace and unity and protecting the earth. But it's just words. You have to look at the group as a whole. You have to look at their deeds, not just what they say in efforts to get what they want.

I can't believe we're having to point out something this basic. This is 101 stuff.

Offline Defend the Sacred

• Global Moderator
« Reply #72 on: July 03, 2015, 05:20:36 pm »
From the Oak Lake Writers' Society
Since 1993, the Society has endeavored to strengthen and preserve Dakota, Lakota, and Nakota cultures through the development of culture-based writing.
https://oaklakewriterssociety.wordpress.com/2015/07/02/open-letter-protect-he-sapa-stop-cultural-exploitation/

Open Letter: Protect He Sapa, Stop Cultural Exploitation

The planned Rainbow Family of Living Light gathering (herein Rainbow) in He Sapa, the Black Hills, has caused serious tensions within the Oceti Sakowin. Many of us see the Rainbow gathering as engaging in cultural exploitation, and some of their activities as desecrating our holiest site by appropriating and practicing faux Native ceremonies and beliefs. These actions, although Rainbows may not realize, dehumanize us as an indigenous Nation because they imply our culture and humanity, like our land, is anyone’s for the taking. As outsiders to our Nation and struggles, the Rainbow gathering has caused and will cause more harm than good.

Some argue that Lakota and Dakota nations need to choose sides on whether or not we should support the gathering. These same people have also attempted to form an “alliance” with Rainbow attendees by publicly welcoming their presence and supporting their encampment in the hopes of facilitating an occupation that would in turn demand the return of stolen treaty lands in He Sapa.

Other Lakota activists have set up a protest camp and have called for the eviction of the Rainbow camp over fears of desecrating a sacred site, the cultural appropriation of sacred Native ceremonies, and the violation of the 1868 Fort Laramie Treaty, which reserves exclusive use to He Sapa for the Lakota, Dakota, and Arapaho nations.

Many Lakota and Dakota peoples have weighed in. Some express sympathy for allying with the Rainbows. And some, like us, express serious reservations about the Rainbow gathering including critiques of the tactics of certain celebrity Lakota activists who ally with the Rainbows. A majority of Rainbow members have also decided to respect the wishes of Native opponents to the gathering by not attending. Those who have consciously ignored the divisive chaos that has ensued after Rainbow plans to gather in He Sapa and calls to boycott the gathering have begun setting up camp regardless and are aligning themselves with sympathetic Lakota “allies.”

While sympathetic Lakota “allies” and supporters are concerned about making the Rainbow attendees feel comfortable, a simple fact remains: the tens of thousands of Lakota and Dakota people currently living in He Sapa and those who make annual pilgrimages for ceremonial and cultural obligations are not made to feel comfortable, at all.

Those Lakota and Dakota people who live in Mni Luzahan, Rapid City, a notoriously racist border town, for example, experience the highest rates of poverty—nearly fifty percent—more than any other urban demographic in the nation, and higher than many American Indian reservations. Natives also make up twelve percent of Rapid City’s population but account for three-quarters of the homeless population and half the county jail population.

Paradoxically, Rapid City economically depends on Lakota and Dakota business from surrounding communities and reservations. The annual Lakota Nation Invitational basketball tournament, for instance, is the second largest money-maker for the city, next to the Sturgis Bike Rally and the He Sapa Powwow. Yet, the history and pervasive anti-Indianism directed at Native people who visit, shop, and live in Rapid City is nothing short of an outrage.

As a Nation of intellectuals, writers, artists, professionals, and educators, the Oceti Sakowin has much to celebrate in our achievements and contributions to our national culture and to politics. Aligning with the Rainbow Family, a group that cites a fictitious “Native American prophecy” as informing their self-identification as “warriors of the rainbow” and willfully appropriates Native cultural practices, is not only adventurist and dangerous, but offensive to many of us who advance and continue to defend the spiritual, the cultural, the sacred, and, most importantly, the political vitality and vision of the Oceti Sakowin.

In a recent letter to the editor in Indian Country Today, one Rainbow member justifies Native appropriation: “I see how cultural and spiritual appropriation is disrespectful and harmful but I also see how the actual practices heal and rebalance everyone,” as if “everyone” is in need of rebalance. The sense of entitlement to Lakota and Dakota spirituality and culture illustrates a common belief of white settler society: like it was entitled to our land, it is therefore also entitled to our culture and our humanity for its own benefit. The U.S., a settler nation, was built violently upon this myth: white people who feel they lack meaningful ancestral ties and relationships to this land turn to new forms of theft. Our remaining land, sacred sites and cultures are open for plunder and theft as whites seek spiritual meaning and personal self-actualization. They may need “rebalance” after the colonial atrocities of white society. We need what we have always wanted, the dignity and right to exist as an indigenous Nation in our homelands. How does Rainbow further this other than to mock and appropriate our culture?

White settlers who appropriate Native cultures for their own benefit do not advance nor align with the values of Wolakota, the Lakota and Dakota way of living, values that have been passed down and protected by our ancestors. In fact, it furthers the belief that Native peoples and cultures exist for pure entertainment and ownership for white settlers, a belief that saturates the popular imaginary in the form of racist sports mascots and other dehumanizing caricatures, and fantasies of perceived or fabricated Native ancestry. The appropriation of our sacred spaces, practices, and our very identities violates us as a people, a nation, and it violates our sovereign right to determine for ourselves who we are in this world and this universe. It jeopardizes our legal, political, and spiritual claims as rightful caretakers of the land and He Sapa.

As Dakota and Lakota nations, we have been tolerant to other worldviews and have even come to accept some of them, as taught through Wolakota. This has been our greatest strength and our greatest weakness—because it is often exploited. In the past and currently, we strategically align with other Native and non-Native people and causes when it is in the best interest of our nations and the land. These alliances are necessary for our continued survival and for seeking justice for historical and ongoing wrongs. There are non-Natives who are sympathetic to and allied with our causes, but who do not find it necessary, nor should they, to appropriate and distort our cultural practices, and traditions for their own benefit.

When Ptehincala Ska Win, the White Buffalo Calf Woman, gave us the canupa, the pipe, and our sacred ceremonies, she gave them to us, the Oceti Sakowin, not to anyone else. She gave us specifically a burden to bear, that we as a people should guarantee our survival and continuance as a Nation in our own lands. Ptehincala Ska Win’s message was for us to stand as one nation, whether we disagree or not. When the U.S. and occupying forces ripped us from our homelands, forced us onto reservations, and attempted to destroy us as a people, those burdens of genocide became ours, and they also became everyone’s responsibility to help right these ongoing crimes against humanity. Appropriating our practices and sacred spaces does not right historical wrongs. It adds to them.

Uniting with the Rainbow people, whose gathering in our most sacred site promises only further cultural and spiritual exploitation, has fractured us. It has sown seeds of disunity at a time when we desperately need unity to combat the exploitation and violence against our land, water, youth and women, and the continued desecration of our sacred sites at places like Mato Paha, Bear Butte, where hundreds of thousands of mostly white bikers gather for weeks of debauchery at the Sturgis Biker Rally during our ceremonial season. Do they understand the power of these hills, of this place? Or is it simply a piece of earth they roar into once a year and which they objectify for their pleasure? Although the Rainbow gathering has a veneer of “spirituality” one could ask the same question of them. And we do, as individuals whose peoples arose as peoples in this place, and who have been powerfully connected to it for millennia.

Let’s use our hearts, minds, and bodies towards continuing these struggles instead of aligning ourselves with cultural exploiters and those who detract from the long, hard task of unity as a Nation.

Hecetu Welo!

Nick Estes (Kul Wicasa Oyate), PhD candidate, University of New Mexico

Kimberly TallBear (Sisseton Wahpeton Oyate), Associate Professor, University of Texas, Austin

Tasiyagnunpa Livermont (Oglala Sioux Tribe), writer and blogger

Richard Meyers (Oglala Sioux Tribe), Assistant Professor/Director of Tribal Outreach, South Dakota State University

Joel Waters (Oglala Sioux Tribe), poet and writer

Taté Walker (Mniconjou Lakota), social service/justice professional and human rights activist

Reprint permission: Please print as is. For a thousand-word version for print, please leave a comment with your publication name and contact info, and we will get back to you.
https://oaklakewriterssociety.wordpress.com/2015/07/02/open-letter-protect-he-sapa-stop-cultural-exploitation/

Offline earthw7

• Standing Rock Tourism
« Reply #73 on: July 05, 2015, 02:13:48 pm »
I think not for sure but Chase seems to be camping in the hills with one of the groups has no ideal
what is being said about him, the Bismarck Tribune ran an article about him saying he did not
respond but he is in the Black Hills, about his heat the rez, i believe it was one of the rainbow that
sent the information to the paper. It is like one group is saying everything that the natives want to hear
save the Black Hills, free Leonard, Save the water and land but in reality the other group are doing the opposite.
One wrote that his dream was to complete the extermination of my people i have to shake my head and wonder
on one hand we have people who want to be us, steal our ways, make money off our backs, and the other want to
kill us and take our land.
That is why i wonder why would anyone want to be us, being Native is hard
In Spirit

Offline ska

« Reply #74 on: July 05, 2015, 05:45:58 pm »
He may be in the Black hills but Chase Iron Eyes has also been "on the grid", posting regularly in the past few days, both on "Last Real Indians" and on facebook:

http://lastrealindians.com/should-lakota-nation-welcome-rainbow-family-chase-iron-eyes/

https://www.facebook.com/ChaseIronEyes

He's tweeting too:

https://twitter.com/lastrealndn

He seems to be keeping up on the ongoing discussion.