Author Topic: Stefan Duncan aka Chief Ravenlight & Waccamaw Raven Tribe/Clan  (Read 12030 times)

Offline Rattlebone

This guy is trying to start a fake tribe he is calling the WACCAMAW RAVEN TRIBE. He has already been confronted by members of AIM over on Facebook, and has back peddled some on the issue. He has the application for the fake tribe on his Facebook page. He previously had some sort of declaration letting people he was forming what he called a Second Nation, which by his description seemed to be anyone with any alleged tribal ancestry that could not be enrolled due to blood quantum requirements etc. When he was confronted on the issue, he questioned why it was an issue and stated that "he was not charging money." He then took that declaration down.

Here is his FB page. If he has not taken it down due to pressure coming from AIM; you can clearly see his so called "WACCAMAW RAVEN TRIBE APPLICATION"

https://www.facebook.com/stefan.duncan.7/about

He lists the following on the so called application:

Stefan Duncan

WACCAMAW RAVEN TRIBE APPLICATION FORM
(When complete, please send a copy by email to duncan1745@yahoo.com and in subject line WACCAMAW RAVEN TRIBE APPLICATION. There is NO application or membership fee.

This application is applying to become a member of the Waccamaw Raven Tribe based out of Monroe, North Carolina. Our homeland is Lake Waccamaw, North Carolina. We will accept ancestral linked of Native Americans regardless of blood quorum. We also will accept full blooded and carded Native Americans. Every applicant's hearts must be true and of sincere intent. We seek to be One Tribe, One People, under one Creator, and who deem both land and living things as sacred. We also offer on special cases a one year adoptee program for non-Native American who seek to join us. If any member brings dishonor to the tribe, the Chief and Council have right of removing the person from tribe membership.

* What is your name?

* Address: Include name, street and st. number, city, state, zipcode

* Are you a descendent of a Native American Tribe? ( yes / no ) Family Clan and Tribe (If known). How are you linked? Any proof to show this may be copied and included in the email. Do you have any relatives in Native American societies or other N.A. organizations?

* Do you have any relatives in Native American societies or other N.A. organizations?

* If you would be interested in volunteering or helping in someway with Raven Tribe or Second Nations. Please say how.

* What are your hopes for Second Nations? Do you have some suggestions or ideas toward the Tribe's mission?

* Have you ever been convicted of a federal offense or a violent felony? ( yes / no ) If your answer is yes elaborate. If you need more space, attach a letter.

* Are you a member or another tribe or organization? ( yes / no ) Name of tribe

* What are your parents name? Grandfather on mother's side. Grandmother on mother's side. Great-Grandmother on mother's side. Great-Grandfather on Mother's side. Grandfather on father's side. Grandmother on father's side. Great-grandfather on father's side. Great-grandmother on father's side.

* Spouse's Name (If married)

* Children (All years up to 18 years old will be registered with SECOND NATIONS, no ID Card will be sent unless the required membership dates, eye color, height, weight, and hair color.

* Contact Information. Telephone and email address.

Photo of yourself.

* Comments: Why do you wish to join? What are important areas you would like to see SN be involved? Do you have suggestions?

* Would you be interested in serving a position on the tribe? What areas could you help the tribe?

* Indicates Response Required

Once an applicant is approved, they will be sent a digital certificate of membership into the tribe. The new member can print out the certificate to frame.

“The time is now. May the Waccamaw Raven Tribe rise as a great nation to become One Tribe, One People, under the Great Creator, respecting both land and living things as sacred. Acaw!” - Chief Ravenlight

From what I can tell, he is also some kind of artist. Here is his biography.

http://www.stefanduncan.com/biography.htm

Another of his websites:

http://www.stefanduncan.com/

There is a lot about him on the internet with a simple search of his name.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2018, 01:55:43 pm by educatedindian »

Offline Rattlebone

Re: Stefan Duncan aka Chief Ravenlight
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2015, 02:06:52 am »
 Here is another page of his on Facebook that is dedicated to his fake tribe.

https://www.facebook.com/secondnations/info?tab=page_info

Autumn

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2015, 05:29:26 pm »
Here is his Declaration:

DECLARATION OF CHANGE APRIL 4, 2015 NIGHT OF THE BLOOD MOON RISING TO ALL NATIVE AMERICAN TRIBES AND ANCESTRAL LINKED PEOPLES
For generations we have heard our leaders say, “The time of change is coming.” I, Chief Ravenlight, of the Waccamaw Raven Tribe, speak to all the Native Americans what the Great Creator has said within my heart, “The Time Is Now at the BLOOD MOON RISING.” One Tribe. One People. Let not our tribes shun those that are ancestral linked for they are our brothers and sisters if they come with true of heart and sincere intent. Recognize them in some way for they are also the children of the Great Creator. Let us be not as those that discriminated against us, shunning us from society, denying our freedoms and land.
THEREFORE, I ask all Native American Tribes to recognize those of their ancestral linked regardless of their blood ratio. If unable to give full card and benefits, at least a certificate of acknowledgement and allow their participation in the spiritual and social ways of the tribe if their hearts be true and of sincere intent.
THEREFORE, the Waccamaw Raven Tribe, has not, nor will apply for government recognition. We of the tribe stand as One, as Family, as Tribe living the spiritual way of the Great Creator and respecting the sacredness of land and life. We do not give government benefits. We come as members out of love and desire of oneness of the one tribe under the Great Creator.
THEREFORE, the Waccamaw Raven Tribe will accept any person that is an ancestral linked Native American if their heart be true and of sincere intent. We do not have written tribal laws as in the days of our ancestors. And though the government will not accept any of our punishment of broken tribal law, we have the power to remove such person from the tribe. We will make special “adoptee exceptions” for individuals who wish to become a member of the tribe if they believe and are sincere to live as we by the ways of our Great Creator and respect the land and all living things as sacred. After one year “probation” person the council or chief deems so person worthy to become a tribal member will then be granted full membership.
WE WILL ACCEPT ALL FULL BLOODED AND CARDED TO JOIN OUR TRIBE.
THEREFORE, the Waccamaw Raven Tribe practices “Eastern” Native American ceremonies.
THEREFORE, the Waccamaw Raven Tribe declares its official language is Cherokee.
THEREFORE, the Waccamaw Raven Tribe will hold its gatherings at Lake Waccamaw State Park until we may regain land of our ancestors there.
THEREFORE, the Waccamaw Raven Tribe will create a council and designate leadership positions such as spiritual, medicine, counsel, historian, etc.
THEREFORE, the Waccamaw Raven Tribe seek to lead all Native American Nations to be receptive of their ancestral linked to be One Tribe, One People, serving the Great Creator and respecting Land and all Living Things as sacred. Let us be the first tribe of its kind in America as part of the answer to the “Change Is Coming” of our ancestors.
THEREFORE, the Waccamaw Raven Tribe has the Raven as our tribal totem. We believe the Raven is black for it repels the black and absorbs the Light. In Native American mythology, the Raven stole Light from another world and brought it here. Also, the Raven is known as a gatherer of knowledge that brings to Light. We also in our tribal phrases say, “Upon the Raven wings so carries our dreams to lands of destinations.” And, we use the expression, “Acaw!” as an expression of mutual spiritual agreement. The “caw” of the Raven has a unique sound we believe unlocks the door for our perception and reception of spiritual communication. The feathers of the Raven are sacred to the tribe.
THEREFORE, let it be known, April 4, 2015, be known in Native American History as our DAY OF CHANGE.
THEREFORE, I pray this DECLARATION OF PEACE be the start of a tidal wave of CHANGE for OUR PEOPLE to be ONE PEOPLE of ONE TRIBE, hereby proclaimed by Chief Ravenlight of the Waccamaw Raven Tribe.
So declared on April 4, 2015 by Chief Ravenlight of the Waccamaw Raven Tribe: CHIEF RAVENLIGHT
Those of witness of declaration are Ralf Nelissen, Micheal Nelson, Patricia Leo, Bill Hensley, Charles Trush, Bobbie D. Cumbee, Jean Dutill, Autumn Breeze. The Declaration of Change I, Chief Ravenlight, would like to dedicate to my mother, Betty Ward, whose Light and Love is the shine of my own.

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=1567900126820223&id=1415209768755927

IMHO, it parrots a lot of Little Grandmother's Tribe of Many Colors philosophy.

Autumn

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2015, 05:40:31 pm »
BTW, he may not be charging money to accept your application for membership, but he is charging money if you want a certificate or a membership card.

$10 for a membership card.

We accept all Native Americans by ancestry links than blood quorum.  There is no membership fee.  If you wish to have a membership card, submit a digital headshot of you and pay $10 credit card/paypal/moneyorder/check either through Paypal or to Second Nations  P.O. Box 912, Matthews, N.C., 28106.   Donations of $20 or above will receive a scroll of appreciation signed and dated by Chief Ravenlight and a feather.
http://stefanduncan.com/SecondNationsenrollmentinfosheet..htm

$25 for certificate.

There is NO application or membership fee. If you would like a hard copy certificate signed by the chief we ask for $25 to pay expenses, but this is only if you would like a certificate sent to you. Once approved, your certificate will be sent via internet that you can download and print on parchment paper.)
https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=1568757703401132&id=1415209768755927

Autumn

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2015, 06:01:42 pm »
On the link that Rattlebone gave, http://www.stefanduncan.com/, it starts out with a video titled "American Van Gogh" and the narrator states that Stefan is a "descendant of the Waccamaw tribe". 

Here seems to be the original website for the "Second Nations":

http://stefanduncan.com/second_nations.htm

Offline educatedindian

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2015, 06:58:16 pm »
At several places the site links to and indicates they are part of the United Nations of Native Americans.
http://www.stefanduncan.com/nativeamericantribes.htm
http://www.stefanduncan.com/second_nations.htm
So they really are trying to set themselves up as leaders for the unenrolled or those who think they have ancestry.

---------
http://www.stefanduncan.com/donations.htm
One of the principle missions of the Chief of Second Nations is to act as a representative of the tribe to meet with Native American Leaders, elders, spiritual people for acceptance and unity; to gather sacred knowledge of the tribes, to teach (creating an online school), to live, and preserve for the future generations.  The websites, promoting, operations, supplies for I.D. cards, etc. We will work toward creating ancient-styled Native American villages across the nation, create study groups, branches of the tribe, a council, and many other things for the mission to preserve the culture and sacred knowledge of Native Americans. Another mission of SN is to also establish itself as a coalition/and umbrella tribe that accepts Native American ancestry regardless of blood quorum...

------
Duncan's own site calls him a descendant of the Waccamaw and the "American Van Gogh." He also wrote some sword and sorcery novels. So a Waccamaw descendant which says they will use the Cherokee language as their tribal language, and made up of anyone with a claim of ancestry of any tribe.
The site does list all their members. All 8 of them.

Epiphany

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2015, 10:15:38 pm »
Stefan Duncan has a public family tree on ancestry.com. All the records he has found list his people in census as white. I've looked over other records also and haven't found anything there other than white.

He has also posted publicly on genealogy forums. His posts indicate that he has a lot of work still to do. All he has so far are stories and some guesses. He is trying to find proof to back up the stories, rather than doing the actual research.

stefan duncan   
Posted:   15 Mar 2015 2:48AM

Hey, I am stefan duncan, creator and director of Waccamaw-the series. I am searching to. I had testing done. I am of the Long descent of my mother's side. I have five percent afro-american in me. Another Long descendant, Nancy Varney told me via Facebook she also was tested positive with Afro-American DNA. I spoke to the Waccamaw People Of the Fallen Star. My great-great grandmother's father was a Marley. Marley is a name used for the WPOS with the general store and pharmacy, etc. I was told I could say I was a descendant of the tribe but because our ancestor's left the reservation we could not have cards. my facebook page is http://www.stefan.duncan.7 I am of the Laspeyre Long line.

stefan duncan 
Posted:   6 Aug 2013 4:40AM
Classification: Query
My great great great grandfather was Daniel b Marley born in n.c. In Brunswick or blades county had a daughter Isabella Marley whom a person told me had DNA pointing toward her with Native American. Father was checked on one census part as mulatto when no opt. To check Native American.

The Waccamaw People Of the Fallen Star: http://www.waccamaw-siouan.com/

This group is a corporation founded in 1972, originally was Waccamaw Siouan Development Association, Inc., now is Waccamaw Siouan Indian Tribe, Inc. The non-profit corporation described itself as intending to help rural and urban poor people.

This group needs to work more on their stated history

They are only state recognized, not federal.

So Stefan Duncan (born Stephen Tyrone Ward) says his mother's side has NDN heritage, specifically through "My great-great grandmother's father was a Marley." This would be distant heritage. He does have Marleys and a Laspeyre Long in his lineage. Photos of them on their memorials: Isabella Melvina Marley Long http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GSln=LO&GSfn=i&GSpartial=1&GSbyrel=all&GSdyrel=all&GSst=29&GScntry=4&GSob=n&GSsr=241&GRid=62635356&df=all&

Lasprey Long http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=62635180

Isabella's memorial page has "Was an American Indian from Robeson County, NC ", with no source of other information. Laspreyre Long looks black to me, Isabella  maybe NDN? Black? What most matters though would surely be culture, identification, how people lived and live.

Epiphany

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2015, 10:58:21 pm »
The person maintaining the memorials http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=62635180 is Stefan's cousin, as noted on this site

Bobby Cumbee (Cousin to Stefan and descendant of Waccamaw People of the Fallen Star)

http://stefanduncan.com/waccamaw.theseries.htm

Waccamaw-the series
TV Show
https://www.facebook.com/Waccamawtheseries

"There will be personality wars, jealousies, good deeds, and ill-deeds. Waccamaw is a beautiful place in the pandemonium flux of the human condition. The lake becomes a kind of macro-cosmic view of mankind with man against nature, the concept of God, and even against himself with class and racial discriminations. " Stefan Duncan, creator and director of Waccamaw.

Offline duncan1745

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2017, 08:41:37 pm »
I have NEVER tried to be fraudulent or sought to make a profit of any kind.  How can I be a fraud when I explain everything that I am.   You post I'm all white....and insult me...then later you discover oh, he does...   Whenever I saw there could be a misunderstanding I sought immediately to clarify and correct.  Waccamaw Riven Clan is a group of like minded people that have Native American ancestry links or love the culture..... We are a community group... HOW ARE WE A FRAUD?  The only person to call me this is you that you have posted here.  Shall I start looking into all your history and writings and find questionable things?  You won't even identity yourself.  You make false accusations from the shadows.  I have nothing to hide.
If there is any issue or questions all that has to be done is shown to me and if they have merit will be immediately addressed. 

THE WACCAMAW RAVEN CLAN IS FOR THOSE OF ANCESTRY LINKS AND OTHERS THAT HAVE A GREAT LOVE OF THE CULTURE.  ONE OF THE REASONS IT WAS CREATED WAS FOR MANY OF WHICH IT IS STATED DIDN'T HAVE HIGH ENOUGH BLOOD PERCENT TO BE GIVEN A CARD.  WE ARE NOT A FEDERAL RECOGNIZED NATIVE AMERICAN TRIBE, WE ARE A COMMUNITY GROUP  WITH ANCESTRAL LINKS AND THOSE THAT LOVE THE CULTURAL.  WE SHARE IN THE BELIEF THAT THE GREAT SPIRIT IS ALIVE AND IS PART OF ALL NATURE. WE SEEK TO PRESERVE THE ANCIENT KNOWLEDGE OF THOSE THAT LIVED OFF THE LAND FROM THE EARLY PEOPLE THAT LIVE IN NOW "AMERICA" AND OF THE CELTS.  ii IS NOT A NATIVE AMERICAN TRIBE BUT A COMMUNITY OF LIKE MINDED PEOPLE TO WHICH WE FORMED AS A CLAN OR GROUP.  WE HAVE A COUNCIL AND A CHIEF AS CLANS ALSO HAVE CHIEFS.  WE WERE NEWLY FOUNDED ONLY SEVERAL YEARS AGO.  i HAVE STUDIED THE ANCIENT RELIGIONS FROM THE SCHOOLS OF DRUIDRY TO WICCA OF THE ANCIENT CELTIC BELIEFS TO COMPARE AND BETTER UNDERSTAND.  I AM REAL. MY NAME IS STEFAN DUNCAN. I HAVE CREATED A COMMUNITY/CLAN CALLED WACCAMAW RAVEN CLAN THAT IS MADE UP OF MEMBERS THAT SHARE IN THE COMMON BELIEF OF A GREAT SPIRIT THAT LIVES THROUGH NATURE THAT THE EARTH IS PRECIOUS.  MANY OF THE MEMBERS HAVE ANCESTRY LINKS AS NATIVE AMERICANS AND MANY HAVE BECOME MEMBERS FOR THEIR LOVE OF THE CULTURE.  WE ARE OUR OWN GROUP AND TO CALL IS FRAUD IS WRONG AND SLANDEROUS.   WE STATE EXACTLY WHAT WE ARE.   WE ARE A FREE PEOPLE AND PROUD OF WHO WE ARE. WE STATE EXACTLY WHAT WE ARE. 

Offline educatedindian

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2017, 10:18:36 am »
Mr. Duncan, posting in all caps makes you look unhinged and/or childish. It also makes it a headache to read.

If you are not a tribe, then why not change the name to something honest like "Heritage Group X with Family Stories of Native Ancestry"? Calling your group either a tribe or Waccamaw is deceptive.

It's because you don't seem to be after either profit or a little power, but rather are confused, that you remain under Research Needed these several years.

Offline duncan1745

Re: Attorney Notification
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2018, 05:10:47 am »
Is this topic is not removed in 30 days I will contact my attorney and take action.

Offline educatedindian

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2018, 10:34:54 am »
Mr. Duncan, we get empty threats to sue all the time. Not once in over 20 years have they ever been carried out. The simple reasons are that nothing we do is illegal or actionable in the slightest, and we know the law far better than those issuing empty threats.

Your quickly scrawled ungrammatical post is one of the least threatening "threats" we've gotten. I'm pretty sure your attorney, if you actually have one, would tell you the same thing we tell you. You can't sue just because you don't like being criticized. You might find an unethical hack of a lawyer who would take your case just to take your money, but no attorney whose any good would.

You're always welcome to state your case some more, hopefully this time in a more mature way. Why not consider calling yourselves (all 8 of you) a heritage group and admitting you're a distant descendant at best?

Offline duncan1745

Re: Stefan Duncan Not A Fraud And Asks This Be Removed.
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2018, 08:59:13 pm »
I have done that....I have not lied or deceived.  I do not appreciate your insults and sarcasm. I had no intentions of any deceptions and explain exactly what I am.  And you use my own words to make a case about it?  I understand what your group does and is about.  I can appreciate that.  But in this case there was no fraud, no deception for money or "power" plays.  When this was first brought to my attention I took steps of changing names and then its written here like a "gotcha" that I'm trying to deceive.  I  have been upfront.  I am a good, honest man with followers and friends around the world because of my art.  There was no intent of fraud or deception.  It is confusing to everyone that has read this that you accuse me of being a fraud by proof of the truthful words I have always said I am, using quotes as evidence against me which does not make any sense to anyone who reads all this.  If I have explained exactly what I am and what the "8" of us are then how can that be a fraud?  To post  "Fraud and Plastic Shaman" is false and slanderous.  [childish insults removed]  Anyone that sees the heading and then takes the time to read this will know I have done no wrong of fraud or deceit and am justified with my statements to you.  I ask you as a gentleman to please remove all this. It does not look good...
« Last Edit: April 26, 2018, 11:30:07 am by educatedindian »

Offline duncan1745

« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2018, 10:11:54 pm »
[Extended childish rant and personal attacks]

Who are you to judge me of what I am or of my character.... "a plastic shaman"  a "fraud."  I have two college degrees, a Doctorate's in Celtic Old Religion from the school of the Frosts and of the Druids of England.  I have gone through initiations and studied with shamans.  I had been in a car accident and coma for three weeks with over a dozen broken bones, head jury, and awakened from the coma after they unplugged me to die. I had to learn to walk again.  I went back to school.  I devoted my life to become an artist with a mission to unveil the Divine's presence in nature with my paintings.  I started selling art on the streets, then got a studio, and been dubbed the "American Van Gogh" by Van Gogh Gallery and noted as one of the top 60 contemporary artists of the world by ArtTour International Magazine.  Then, you, who remains "unknown" try to dirty my name, call me a fraud, done your little background research on me and quote my words of who I say I am and our group - how can we be a fraud when we say who we are.  There was no intention of deceit or fraud. When a person had no ill intent for deception or fraud, to have a discussion with the person or group and if it is because of part of a name, a hair-do, or clothing, things could be changed to resolve any issue.  You are my biggest advocate of not being a fraud because you taken my statements and found them true.  And if you found.... "tribe" a concern all you had to do was contact me so we could address it and continue on our way.  But you take my name and post it yet you hide.  [Yet more childish insults] And your refusal to work with a group that  had no intention of being a fraud to resolve any issues is really bad. It is harmful to innocent people.  Would you like it if someone called you a fraud and a fake when you had no intention of being so? [Still more childish insults and personal attacks.]
« Last Edit: April 26, 2018, 11:34:08 am by educatedindian »

Offline educatedindian

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2018, 11:40:31 am »
That you put up yet more childish ranting and personal attacks does not make yourself or your group look good.

You still haven't answered the questions: Why not just admit you're a distant descendant (maybe)? That your group claiming to be Waccamaw are as well a heritage group? It's unethical to pretend to be a tribe.

You claim to study with "shamans." Who was this? And this School of the Frosts and Druids, could you say more about this?