Author Topic: Mackenzie Blyth (was White Shaman Discussion from Shaman's Portal )  (Read 7077 times)

Offline Four Winds

Hei everyone,
I was posting on the Shaman's Portal in regards to how it's pretty much white skinned, mainstream people who claim that white people should never be challenged on declaring themselves shaman. You can view the thread here: http://shamanportal.org/forum/shamanism-f1/shamans-must-be-from-indigenous-cultures-t949.html

There is this user who is Scottish but apparently went all the way to Siberia in order to study be a shaman. I politely asked, among other things, why he felt he couldn't become a shaman (or spirit worker) in reference to his own culture so that he wouldn't be responsible for cultural appropriation from a white skinned mainstream colonizer role onto the back of an Indigenous culture.

Anyway, as you can read from the link to the thread, this guy totally flipped out on me, asking how dare I challenge his right to become a shaman in any culture that he so chooses and it is his right to choose.

So I wrote back: "The arrogance and hypocrisy here is someone from a mainstream culture like yourself shouting that ‘no one has the right to tell me if I can be a shaman or not’ when in fact it was the white colonial powers such as the United Kingdom that perpetuated a genocide against Indigenous peoples throughout history for practicing their spirituality. And now you claim to raise the same concerns of the people who were killed off or culturally neutralized.

Yes, Indigenous cultures died either protecting their sacred ceremonies and customs or died because they choose to perform those sacred customs instead of being assimilated.

So spare me your righteous indignation about how you were given the ability to study under another Indigenous culture when you should be grateful that that Indigenous culture even exists in the first place and wasn’t killed off by religious fervor or colonialist Russia. You got to choose to follow this path. But for Indigenous people, spirituality is not about choice or a whim decision; it is inseparable from their culture (and death results when they are separated from their culture).

So instead of your righteous indignation and your concept of privilege, how you have the right to do this and consume that, you should be grateful.

Other posters on this thread have shown the truth of their character through their gratitude and humbleness. And their understanding that cultural appropriation just because you can, doesn't make it right."

Now maybe my tone of response was a little harsh but I am getting sick and tired of people who are from a dominant culture freaking out about how it is their rights and privilege (at the expense of others) to steal or at least culturally appropriate the spirituality of another (often marginalized) culture -- which again just repeats the toxicity of colonization. They just seem clueless, though, and make their arguement all about them and their individual need for spiritual enlightenment, sparing no expense regarding who they steal from. It just makes me so frustrated.  
« Last Edit: July 18, 2011, 07:50:12 pm by educatedindian »

Offline Four Winds

Re: White Shaman Discussion from Shaman's Portal
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2011, 01:13:51 am »
The worst was the arrogance of the Scottish-wannabe-Siberian "shaman" Mackenzie Blyth. His ugliness of privilege and entitlement just bent me the wrong way.

I think I have just had enough of people from a colonizer culture (we all know the story) taking a mythic journey into a far-away Indigenous land where they unwittingly get taken aside by a very powerful Indigenous shaman and singled out as "the one" they will train in their Sacred ways.

And yet, these "chosen people" show  absolutely no gratitude for the teachings they have received nor are they humbled  in the presence of the Indigenous culture; instead acting as if it is their right (their white privilege and entitlement)  to be instructed in the Sacred Arts of any culture they find valuable.  When asking simple, honest questions, they get immediately defensive and repeat the story about how “they were the chosen one.”

I tried to ask why this man did not find any value in the healing legacy of his own people so he had to adopt the Indigenous culture of another society? Wear it like a costume to promote himself? Why not be who you really are and be proud of your own people instead of taking from some else’s culture (especially without due credit or respect).

Maybe I’m being a bit too touchy. It’s not like he is claiming he is actually from Siberia. But only how excellent he is having “discovered” (and Indigenous people all know how great it feels to be discovered!) this ancient healing way so that he might bring their healing ways back to the UK and into the light of civilized society.

I mean, did you really expect him to stay there in Siberia and help better that community with his new found talents, no it was off to London and comfort for him! – usually, it’s good form to give back to the community you have taken/learned from but never mind that gratitude and ethics stuff…psst, want to by some holy trinkets he made himself?

His website is here: http://sites.google.com/site/macadyg/

He is based in London, UK. He has posted a link to Adyg Eeren but his name is not listed in the society of being an accredited shaman.

As if the centuries of authentic shaman teachings were just sitting around waiting for this white Scot to show up and now suddenly, poof, with his help, it is now a valid healing profession.

From his website, he also claims he can make - which he makes "ritually" and then sells - Ongons. I know I would be sad if an outsider took to making spiritual objects important to my culture and then started selling them for profit.

Offline educatedindian

• Administrator
Re: Mackenzie Blyth (was White Shaman Discussion from Shaman's Portal )
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2011, 07:54:47 pm »
Some time ago we had a member of the Siberian shaman's association on here, Sarangerel. She has since passed away. But her group is still around and they are kind of similar to NAFPS.

--------
http://www.tengerism.org/becoming_a_shaman.html
A shaman’s training takes a lifetime of work. It takes a great deal of practice and discipline. There are 9 degrees (levels) of traditional shamanism. They represent the nine branches of the world tree. For each level there is an initiation called a shanar. It takes years of study and training to reach each level. Because each level expects so much more from a person, the 9th level is rarely reached. Family and other obligations often keep people from taking their next shanar (initiation).

If anyone claims they can make you a shaman in one weekend for a fee, you should think twice. If you were to walk into a martial arts equipment store and buy a black belt, this would not make you a black belt. There are no quick fixes.

To preserve the ancient traditions, official shaman’s associations were founded in Mongolia, Buryatia, and Tuva. The governments of these countries are involved with the registries in order to help preserve the ancient traditions and integrity of Siberia’s aboriginal people.

This is for a good reason. The aboriginal peoples of the Americas have had a great deal of problems with their spiritual beliefs. Their ways have been misrepresented and even blasphemed. Fake “Indian medicine-men” have charged an unknowing public for pseudo Indian teachings and ceremonies. Nobody knows who is the real deal and who is just out to make a buck.

Wanting to avoid such an exploitative situation, the shaman associations make sure that the traditions remain true and keeps dishonourable or fake shamans from practicing.

----------

Blyth says he was trained by a healer in Tuva. So the best way to find out if he is what he claims would be to contact Tengerism.org, or better yet govt agencies in Tuva. If he's not registered with them, he may be phony.

Offline Superdog

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2011, 10:39:38 pm »
I read some of the responses.  It's not unrealistic that this person went to Tuva and was trained in some fashion or another.  Whether it's right or not is really up to the Tuvans, but the claim that two individuals made them a shaman is definitely a stretch.  The reality is, only two Tuvans would consider them a shaman of some sort. 

Tuva is quite popular these days.  Raised from relative obscurity in the world to some world notoriety by the popularity of Tuvan throat singing (sometimes known as overtone singing these days).  Groups like Huun Huur Tu hit the world stage about 15 years ago and it's been quite popular ever since.  The little I know about Tuvan shamanism comes from watching performances from these singers and hearing what they say on the stage and from watching documentaries like Genghis Blues (which I would recommend...great story).  From what I gather, Tuvan spirituality (in modern days) is a mix of Tibetan Buddhism and shamanic practice.  Mostly everyone practices some sort of spiritual shamanism with a few individuals from family groups that perform ceremonies and rituals using drums and music to capture spirits who may have invaded a person and 'caused them sickness and using medicines (the most powerful of which is grain alcohol).  Tuvan throat singing has specific styles of singing that evolved from singing in the mountains where the most powerful spirits live enticing them down from the mountains in times of need or prayer.  Their history is a nomadic people living in small family groups travelling with mobile homes called a Ger.  Strong horse culture as well (in fact they are treated as sacred animals).  The Russians took over their territory, but they now exist as their own state I believe, but much of the Russian influence has transferred onto the culture (as in the music tradition transitioning from the Ger to the stage), but much of what they are is distinctly Tuvan, especially their musical art. 

More than likely the person you're having a disagreement with learned a few things (Tuvans are a very open culture these days and they love to teach outsiders) that are common to all Tuvans, but the distinction of a Tuvan shaman is more than likely a big stretch used on those unfamiliar with Tuvan culture.

Superdog

Offline Sparks

Re: White Shaman Discussion from Shaman's Portal
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2016, 04:03:47 am »
The worst was the arrogance of the Scottish-wannabe-Siberian "shaman" Mackenzie Blyth.
[…]

Seems Mr. Mackenzie Blyth changed his name to Ken Hyder:

Ken Hyder - 
All Shaman Services

Ken Hyder qualified as a traditional shaman healer in Tuva, Siberia after a long apprenticeship. He carries out a wide range of genuine shamanic treatments, including real shamanic healing and protection, clearing houses of negative energy and individual therapeutic consultations. He is based in London.

Certified member of the Dungur Association of Shamans and the Adyg-Eeren Association of Shamans, Kyzyl, Tuva.

Ken Hyder macadyg@gmail.com

I'd like to check up on these certified memberships. Anybody knows more?

Offline Sparks

Re: Ken Hyder AKA Mackenzie Blyth (was … Discussion from Shaman's Portal)
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2018, 06:15:44 pm »
I was posting on the Shaman's Portal in regards to how it's pretty much white skinned, mainstream people who claim that white people should never be challenged on declaring themselves shaman. You can view the thread here: http://shamanportal.org/forum/shamanism-f1/shamans-must-be-from-indigenous-cultures-t949.html

No, I cannot read it there:

Information
You are not authorised to read this forum.

"Website moved. Click here to reach new site. All Shaman Services."

At the new site, what I quoted in my previous post, has been slightly changed and much added to:

Ken Hyder –  Shaman Healer Therapist
Ken Hyder qualified as a traditional shaman healer in Tuva, Siberia after a long apprenticeship. He carries out a wide range of genuine effective shamanic treatments, including real shamanic healing and protection, clearing houses of negative energy and individual therapeutic consultations. He is based in London.

He is a certified member of the Dungur Association of Shamans and the Adyg-Eeren Association of Shamans, Kyzyl, Tuva. His teachers were the best known and most experienced shaman practitioners in Tuva.

Simply, clients are treated by manipulation of energy. The shaman drums to go into a light trance, and then extracts any negative energy from the client. The same procedure is followed to put healing energy into the person. And finally, the client will be surrounded by energy which protects.

Many clients are themselves therapists of various treatments. Therapists often collect differing amounts of black energy from clients they treat, and from time to time they need the shaman’s expertise in getting rid of that unwanted negative energy.

Ken Hyder
macadyg@gmail.com

Shamanic Healing – a Siberian background
Shamanic healing therapy is now available in London from one of the few western practitioners trained in Siberia.
Authentic Siberian shamanism is distinctly different from most kinds of shamanic therapy practiced in the West. A real traditional shaman practitioner places a  strong emphasis on helping the patient use techniques to help protect themselves from further illness after they have been treated. Ken takes his traditional training and makes the best use of that ancient knowledge in a contemporary western setting.

Ken Hyder is also a London-based musician playing in many countries with a wide variety of musicians from different backgrounds – including Tibetan Buddhist monks with whom he recorded and toured several times.

It was on a trip to Siberia that two different shamans suggested he become an apprentice. After several years he became an initiated shaman in Tuva,  Siberia  where he treated a wide range of conditions for individuals of all ages. He also cleared homes of accumulated negative energy. Ken Hyder completed his apprenticeship in 2000 and became a certified member of the associations running the two leading shamans’ clinics in Tuva. He also  practiced in Italy and Germany.

Siberian shamanism manipulates energy, clearing blockages, removing the negative – replacing it with healing energy. Stress, fatigue, emotional set-backs can give rise to back and joint problems which are particularly suitable for this therapy. But traditional Siberian shamans are trained to deal with a huge range of problems. They are expected to help people in their community who might be suffering from an extensive range of problems.

He has often helped other therapists in a wide range of fields, from psychiatry to massage, to get rid of a buildup of black negative energies they have incurred while treating their clients.

Great importance is given to after-care, helping clients avoid relapses.

Ken Hyder is based in South London. And while personal consultations are preferred, distant healing can also be arranged. He also clears homes of unwanted energy, often black energy accumulated over the years.

Some people wonder how shamanism might fit into contemporary western culture. Ken points out that before he died, fellow Scot and leading psychiatrist R D Laing was going to bring out a new magazine called – “Shaman”. Laing believed that shamans were the original psychotherapists. Ken adds :”Although I did not know him well, I did play jazz with him once at Ronnie Scott’s.”

If you feel shamanic healing and shamanic protection can help you,  or you wish to know more about traditional Siberian shamanic therapy, please write to :-   

Ken Hyder
macadyg@gmail.com

There is much more on this site, and several links to related sites.

Offline kuljamu

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2018, 02:12:38 pm »
Just a head's up-Sarangerel was a teacher from the Buryat tradition, not Tuvan. Contacting the Tuvan's would make no sense as these are 2 different cultures.

Offline kuljamu

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2018, 02:21:59 pm »
Looked at his website. The card he carries is from M. Kenin-Lopsan's group. Please understand this. M. Kenin-Lopsan is an indigenous Tuvan academic who, many years ago, declared that his organization was the only authentic Tuvan shamanic group and that He (Kenin-Lopsan) could make you a shaman (of course for a price). Kenin-Lopsan has taught through Harner's FSS. Most of all the other Tuvan's think he is nuts and just making a buck. He's like a Tuvan Harner. Just a head's up