Author Topic: Hector Ybarra aka "Hector Little Wolf"  (Read 42061 times)

Offline Defend the Sacred

• Global Moderator
Hector Ybarra aka "Hector Little Wolf"
« on: March 22, 2010, 08:13:39 pm »
We've received some complaints about this guy. Reports are that he's claiming to be an Apache Medicine Man, and is selling sweats and NAC ceremonies to all-white groups in Europe. There are also reports of him doing private ceremonies specifically for women. Looks to me like yet another who couldn't muster a following here, so crossed the water to sell to the Europeans.

This is an email that was sent out to potential recruits in Denmark. Can someone tell us what the bolded charges equate to in US currency?

begin quote

(-: invitation to ceremony :-)

We are extraordinary happy to inform you that Hector Ybarra is back in May to share with us 3 weekends of sacred ceremonies with the desert medicine.

When Hector visited the first time in April 2009 he made a very big impression on so many people, and we have been asked again and again, when he is coming back. Now the time has come. Hector is a Yaqui Apache Mechika medicine man living in Colorado, USA. He is also an ordained priest in the Native American Church. This time Hector brings both his wife Kelsie and his fire chief. It is great finally to wellcome the dynamic of a spiritual couple in ceremonial ways and we hope to see many of you.

Hector holds ceremonies the following weekends:

30th of april to the 2nd of may

7th till the 9th of may

21th till the 23th of may

If these weekends get fully booked we have an option to make another ceremony the last weekend of May from the 28th till the 30th

This time the weekends will be a bit different than previously, cause we invite you to share the whole weekend with us.

The traditional ways are so much more than just participating in a ceremony. Preparing a ceremony is a hard job but also a wonderful way of sharing and building up the energy for the spiritual work. It also creates sweet bondings and great connections between the participants and is a way to create the fundament for a stronger spiritual community around the tradition, which is exactly what we wish to build up here in Denmark.

So signing up will be for the whole weekend from Friday at 6 pm till Sunday at 4 pm.

Friday the first preparations for the fire, sweat lodge and the tipi ceremony begins and there will be a singing workshop in the evening where Hector teach us some of his sacred songs. Songs and prayers are important parts of the ceremonies Hector holds. They create a very special space and therefore we find it important to strenghten this part of each individual's participation cause it helps creating beauty and power during the nights.

Saturday we all have breakfast together and after that the sweat lodge has to be build, the tipi prepared and wood brought to the fireplace. Food also need to be cooked for everybody and the ceremonial food prepared. Everybody helps and we will share a lovely day working together. In the evening we start the cermony with a sweat lodge for purification and right after that we continue with the tipi ceremony. Traditionally it begins at sunset and ends at sunrise. Everybody is asked to sit up all night. If you have back problems or is an elder you might lay down some of the time.

Sunday people traditionally stays up till sunset before they sleep but we are not that strict in Denmark. It is required though to help cleaning up after the ceremony and inside the house before leaving. Again it's a part of the ceremonial consept and a great way to ground the spiritual process.

Signing up for the weekend: If you are interested in meeting Hector and participating one or more of the weekends please reply this email and we will email you more, detailed information.

In the email we ask you to write:

1) your full name

2) your telephone number

3) what weekend you would like to sign up for - or which ones ;-)

There is only a limited amount of people participating each weekend, so in order to reserve a space with us you need to sign up as soon as possible and pay a deposit of 1000,- kr. (of which 500,- kr. is non-refundable) for each weekend you wish to join to this bank account in Nordea: 1726 7560-784-087

By paying early you help us to but the flight tickets early while they are still less expencive. Thank you.

Be aware that you need to bring your own tent, sleeping bag etc. for overnight acommodations. The ceremonies takes place outside Holbæk at Hanne and Frank's place.

Payment for each ceremony: We as organizers have pondered a lot about the financial aspect of ceremonies in general. We find this is a very important and challenging subject, and therefore we would like to share our thoughts about it.

Traditionally payment has always been by donations only, where after a gathering the hat will go round, with all surpluses going to the shaman. Since we also would like to be more in tune with the old traditions and trust the Universe that in donation all will be perfectly balanced we would like to introduce the old ways, but in a new way.

The last ceremonies we had in December, which were totally donation-based, didn´t generate any organizing cost- and only a very little amount for the medicine people. That experience we do not wish to repeat. So we feel a need to find a middle way between free and fixed. You might recall that weekend ceremonies in the past have always cost around 2000 kroner. Now we will do it like this: we ask of you to transfer 1000 kroner beforehand, of which 500 kroner will be non-refundable (we have had too many last minute cancellations..) because we have expencive flights to book for the medicine people to come.

Then at the weekend you can bring donation money for Hector and his family. Like this we can ensure that everybody can join it, even those with a low income, respecting the ancient tradition of never asking money for any healing treatment or ceremony. Remember medicine people generally have large extended families and their own tribe to support, and are not able to generate any income while they are away from home; they depend on our generosity.

Hector also takes private clients, while he is here. If you are interested in getting a healing session with him please let us know.

Be so kind not to forward this message. This is a personal invitation - if you have a friend who could be interested in getting the invitation, they can write to us or make a phone call.

Lots of love and greetings

Hanne, Frank, Tom and Rikke

Hector Ybarra:

Mange hilsner
Rikke Agersted
Shamanistisk healer, biopat og phytoterapeut

Helseklinikken
Himmelev Bygade 56A
4000 Roskilde
Tlf: 28 18 70 44

end quote
emphasis added
« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 10:51:54 pm by Kathryn »

Re: Hector Ybarra
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2010, 11:05:26 pm »
I believe it is Danish Kroner? If so.. then, 1000 kr = 181.05 usd and 500 kr = 90.53 usd
press the little black on silver arrow Music, 1) Bob Pietkivitch Buddha Feet http://www.4shared.com/file/114179563/3697e436/BuddhaFeet.html

• Global Moderator
Re: Hector Ybarra
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2010, 06:58:24 pm »
Ybarra appears to also be using the name "Hector Little Wolf" in his European advertisements. We received this flyer. The charge for this workshop is 3,000 NOK (Norwegian Kroner), which equals about Euro 375 or  US $505.

(click thumbnail for full-size flyer)

Translation of flyer text:

"Workshop with Indian medicine man Hector Little Wolf

"Would you like to learn about North American Indian culture? To participate in
building a sweatlodge and experience a sweatlodge ceremony?

"This is unique in Norway. The workshop will teach traditionally about "peace
pipe" traditional healing, sweatlodge ceremony. Traditions from North and
South America.

"Where:
Bergen April 16-18
Rendalen April 23-25
Fee: 3,000.00 including meal and accom.
Every time with Hector is remarkable
Booking up to March 1. Call Kjersti, cell phone 99 31 55 53"

Norwegian facebook pages come up for him, such as this one:

http://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=327708337036&id=195197152036

"Camilla Angelina Håman  Sjamanisme - Healing - Selv oppdagelse
www.oneintent.net: Hector "Little Wolf" kommer til Norge, og skal ha en
workshop i Samnanger 16-18.april og i Rendalen 23-25.april. Det vil bli
tradisjonell indiansk undervisning om den hellige pipe,tradisjonell healing,
svettehytteseremoni.Tradisjoner fra Nord Amerika. Det vil også bli mulig å
bestille privat konsultasjon hos Hector" L...ittle Wolf". For info og
påmelding: Ring Kjersti Jackson på mobil 99 31 55 53. Siste frist er 1 Mars."

The content is basically the same as in the flyer - apart from this entry
'just' claiming "traditions from North America".
Plus they advertise the possibility of "private consultations" with him, with
no price mentioned. Again, the last date for booking is March 1. 
« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 10:52:44 pm by Kathryn »

• Global Moderator
Re: Hector Ybarra aka "Hector Little Wolf"
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2010, 07:08:31 pm »
I believe it is Danish Kroner? If so.. then, 1000 kr = 181.05 usd and 500 kr = 90.53 usd

Looks like it's probably Norwegian Kroner. This site http://coinmill.com/USD_calculator.html gives 1000 NOK as $168.10 USD.

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2010, 08:42:36 pm »

Looks like it's probably Norwegian Kroner. This site http://coinmill.com/USD_calculator.html gives 1000 NOK as $168.10 USD.

Ok.  Well, I couldn't possibly know.. LOL so what I did was copy this: 
Helseklinikken
Himmelev Bygade 56A
4000 Roskilde
Tlf: 28 18 70 44

Paste it in Google and hit search. It came up with a website which I clicked on 'translate this site' and the
site popped up saying it was translating from Danish.. so...  I guessed it was maybe Danish Kroner.   :-)

« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 10:53:12 pm by Kathryn »
press the little black on silver arrow Music, 1) Bob Pietkivitch Buddha Feet http://www.4shared.com/file/114179563/3697e436/BuddhaFeet.html

Offline Ingeborg

• Friends
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2010, 09:09:57 pm »
Just for the record: It's two different events.

The first ad is for a seminar in Roskilde, i.e. Denmark. They charge DKr 2,000 per weekend, in Danish Kroner.

The flyer in post no 3 is advertising seminars in Bergen and Rendalen which are situated in Norway. The price of NOK 3,000 indeed means Norwegian Kroner.
And there is this sentence locating the seminars:
"This is unique in Norway.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2010, 09:19:27 pm by Ingeborg »

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2010, 09:13:20 pm »
Thanks, Ingeborg :-)

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2010, 09:18:24 pm »
 ;D  LOL funny.   :D   Thanks Ingeborg  :)

Offline tachia

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2010, 07:43:47 pm »
We've received some complaints about this guy. He's claiming to be an Apache Medicine Man, and is apparently selling sweats and NAC ceremonies to all-white groups in Europe. There are also reports of him doing private ceremonies specifically for women. Uh oh.  Looks to me like yet another who couldn't muster a following here, so crossed the water to sell to the Europeans.

This is an email that was sent out to potential recruits in Denmark. Can someone tell us what the bolded charges equate to in US currency?

cite the sources? .. google shows nothing on this in particular and very little, even after digging, on Ybarra himself .. the name "hector little wolf" turns up absolutely nothing .. .. .. you say "we've received some complaints" .. who is we? .. did this come directly to NAFPS? .. or just to you kathryn? .. from whom did you obtain the "personal invitation email"? .. was the picture of Ybarra included in the personal invitation email or added later? .. and where did you get the flyer from? .. .. sources please ..

you say: "There are also reports of him doing private ceremonies specifically for women" .. again where does this information come from, this is a potentially quite damaging accusation to just toss out there without a source .. reports from where/who? ..

you say: "He's claiming to be an Apache Medicine Man" .. i do not see anything in what you have posted where Ybarra himself claims to be anything, only where the group claims he is something .. and they say he is " a Yaqui Apache Mechika medicine man" (not just an Apache medicine man as you stated) .. the flyer says "Indian medicine man Hector Little Wolf" again that is the groups claim not Ybarras, and do we even know if this is the same man? .. i could find absolutely nothing on a "hector little wolf" .. how do we know this is the same person? .. how can we find out? ..

you say that Ybarra is: "apparently selling sweats and NAC ceremonies" .. i see where the group is charging for the event, but i do not see where Ybarra himself is specifically charging for anything .. .. ..
the group themselves addressed this issue of charging:(my bold) "Payment for each ceremony: We as organizers have pondered a lot about the financial aspect of ceremonies in general. We find this is a very important and challenging subject, and therefore we would like to share our thoughts about it

Traditionally payment has always been by donations only, where after a gathering the hat will go round, with all surpluses going to the shaman. Since we also would like to be more in tune with the old traditions and trust the Universe that in donation all will be perfectly balanced we would like to introduce the old ways, but in a new way.

The last ceremonies we had in December, which were totally donation-based, didn´t generate any organizing cost- and only a very little amount for the medicine people. That experience we do not wish to repeat. So we feel a need to find a middle way between free and fixed. You might recall that weekend ceremonies in the past have always cost around 2000 kroner. Now we will do it like this: we ask of you to transfer 1000 kroner beforehand, of which 500 kroner will be non-refundable (we have had too many last minute cancellations..) because we have expencive flights to book for the medicine people to come.

Then at the weekend you can bring donation money for Hector and his family. Like this we can ensure that everybody can join it, even those with a low income, respecting the ancient tradition of never asking money for any healing treatment or ceremony. Remember medicine people generally have large extended families and their own tribe to support, and are not able to generate any income while they are away from home; they depend on our generosity." .. .. that seems to be a pretty good explanation of the groups decision to charge for the event, it also says that Ybarra will only receive donations, not that he is charging anything himself .. ..

without sources, web sites etc. that can be researched and verified this information amounts to hearsay .. the flyer gives us a bit more to go on, but where did it originate, what or who is the source of this info? .. how did this come to your attention kathryn? .. we cannot research this without some sources etc .. it is also difficult to properly understand this due to the language barrier .. things get lost in translation, we all know that .. ..

these are serious and damaging accusations .. and so far there is nothing concrete to back them up .. .. the credibility of NAFPS relies on definitive research backed up by indisputable facts .. i have been told many times that we must back up what we say with facts, sources, web sites etc .. that hearsay and personal experience are not acceptable without the facts to back them up ..

has anyone else been able to find out more about this? ..

ingeborg, can you find out anything from your end? ..

« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 10:54:10 pm by Kathryn »

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2010, 08:46:04 pm »
Multiple private communications came in, from multiple Scandinavian sources, who say the flyer and emails are about the same guy. The photo was in the original email, but didn't upload properly in the initial posting.

When we are contacted privately with information, we investigate. We protect confidentiality when it is requested.

Offline Moma_porcupine

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2010, 03:54:49 pm »
Hi Tachia

I agree that there is always a concern when anonymous people make allegations of a personal experince - like that there is a man doing private ceremonies for women . I hope most people will know to take any unverifiable reports of questionable behavior from anonymous people on line, with more than a grain of salt. But NAFPS has many reports like this, and it can be hard to know how to warn the public there *may* be a problem, and protect people from having wierd an totally unfounded stories spread about them.

But I'm not clear about the rest of what you are saying here and why.

Are you saying you don't think these emails and fliers exist and someone has just made this up? I agree I like to be able to see for myself that someone is advertising themself as claimed. Because it's always possible someone might make up a story that someone was doing this just to make trouble. And it is  harder to verify who is behind a privately circulated flier or email.

So are you saying you don't think Hector Ybarra is involved in this at all, or that what he is actually doing over in Europe is being misrepresented by this supposed email and flier?

Or are you saying you think traditional cultural practices like Sweat Lodge, Tipi ceremony and Sacred songs belong over in Europe and the European community has what it takes to maintain these traditions in a good way?

Are you saying you think it's OK, as long as these ceremonial leaders don't do the advertising and charging for out of context cultural fragments themselves, and they only cooperate with the people who advertise them and set up charges, by showing up?

« Last Edit: March 26, 2010, 04:14:42 pm by Moma_porcupine »

Offline earthw7

• Standing Rock Tourism
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2010, 07:04:55 pm »
I am saying it is all wrong :o
People should not be doing ceremonies in Europe at all
In Spirit

Offline bls926

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2010, 08:30:40 pm »
I googled Hector Ybarra and didn't find anything that pertained to this individual. Nothing good, nothing bad. Nothing. Nada. Zip. If he's such an exploiter, you'd think there'd be something on the internet. I'm not saying there's nothing out there, I just wasn't able to find it. Usually if there's smoke, I'm able to find the fire. Don't know. Maybe my investigative skills aren't what they used to be. I'll give it another shot.

There was some not-so-good stuff about a different Hector Ybarra. Hopefully no one is confusing these two men.

Edit to add: When googling Hector Little Wolf, I found several facebook accounts mentioning him. These are all in Norwegian, so I'm not sure what they're saying. I could assume they're talking about the seminar mentioned above, but I'm not going to do that. There are no pictures of Hector Little Wolf, neither is the name Ybarra used.

Camilla Angelina Håman

VisionQuest Bergen

Medium

Den Andre Siden
« Last Edit: March 26, 2010, 09:28:27 pm by bls926 »

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2010, 10:59:58 pm »
This is the "Research Needed" section, and if there are any inaccuracies with the names, or anyone has been mistaken for anyone else, I'll be glad to do my part to clear it up. I have no desire to cause distress to anyone who is innocent, or who may just have a common name. But so far it looks like this is all the same guy, and these workshops are being advertised on public "shamanism" boards online. I have no idea how many people have attended these pay to pray deals. Hopefully some of the people who've attended these things and/or written in about it will be posting here soon.

While all the public announcements I've seen say "Hector Little Wolf", both names have shared associates. In my opinion, there are just too many overlaps for it to be two different guys. But again, if there's been any mistake we'll clear it up.

Having people turn up with multiple names is really, really common. Call me cynical, but it wouldn't be the first time we've seen someone take a stage name and hit the newage workshop circuit, trying to keep that part of their life separate from their legal identity, or from the name they're known by back home. If this is the case, I think it's important for people to know about aliases someone may use.

In this public posting, advertising "Little Wolf" workshops on a shamanism board, the organizer/contact is:

Kjersti Jackson

At the top of Kjersti Jackson's friends list is Hector Ybarra's wife, the above-mentioned Kelsie Young (and another page for her)

Kelsie Young's pages link to that of the band Coupstick.  "Hector" (no last name given) is the lead singer, and looks to be the guy in the picture in the Hector Ybarra email.

Commenting on their pictures page we again have "Hector Little Wolf" workshop organizer,  Kjersti Jackson. Saying: "Love and miss you guys......"

There are lots of people on Facebook. People being friended with one another, or posting cheery comments to one another, proves nothing. But these people all have smallish friends lists there, so it would be a rather huge coincidence. While all of the above is public (you may need a facebook account to see the pages, I'm not sure), it lines up with what's been sent in the emails.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 10:55:35 pm by Kathryn »

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2010, 11:53:49 pm »
Thanks for the links, Bonnie. Google translator seems to choke on Facebook formatting. But it does pretty well if you copy and paste the text in here: http://translate.google.com/#no|en|

Camilla Angelina Håman in Shamanism - Healing - Self-discovery www.oneintent.net: Hector "Little Wolf" comes to Norway, and will have a workshop in Samnanger 16-April 18 and in Rendalen 23-April 25. There will be traditional Indian teaching about the sacred pipe, traditional healing, svettehytteseremoni.Tradisjoner from North America. There will also be possible to book a private consultation with Hector "LIttla Wolf". For info and registration: Call Kjersti Jackson on mobile 99 31 55 53 Deadline is March 1.

Would you like to learn about the North American Indian culture? Be to build sweat house, and experience a sweat house ceremony! This is unique in Norway! Medicine Man Hector "Little Wolf" is coming to Norway in April, and will have a workshop in Samnanger outside Bergen and Rendalen in North Østerdalen. Hector is publicly registered as a medicine man in the official U.S. registry. For more info: Kjersti Tel: 99315553.
February 11 at 7:12 am
_____ end quote _____

VisionQuest Bergen Kjersti Jackson wish everyone a good Easter holiday! Workshop with Hector "Little Wolf" will be postponed to a later date. For those who would like to meet Hector and participate in various ceremonies, so he comes to Copenhagen in late April. Take the papal line with Frank Eagle Brother so he can provide further information. Have a lovely spring :-)
14 hours ago

Kjersti Jackson Would you like to learn about the North American Indian culture? Be to build sweat house, and experience a sweat house ceremony! This is unique in Norway! Medicine Man Hector "Little Wolf" is coming to Norway in April, and will have a workshop in Samnanger outside Bergen and Rendalen in North Østerdalen. Hector is the public registrert as medicine man in the official U.S. registry. For more info call 99315553
February 11 at 5:17 am
_____ end quote _____

I couldn't find the mention here:
Found it http://www.facebook.com/pages/Den-Andre-Siden/239743367258

"Den Andre Siden" looks to be a talkshow hosted by four women. Looks like most of the participants on the board for the show are women. Info: "The other side "the other side" is a talk show about everything between heaven and earth. Four inspirational and dedicated program managers use their unique skills and insight into the spiritual in the face of phenomena we can not always explain."
_____ begin quote _____

Kjersti Jackson My Indian brother and teacher Hector Little Wolf comes to Norway, and will have a workshop in Samnanger 16-April 18 and in Rendalen 23-April 25. There will be traditional Indian teaching about the sacred pipe, traditional healing, sweat house ceremony. Traditions from North and South America. There will also be possible to order ...... private consultation with Hector Little Wolf. For more info call me on my mobile 99 31 55 53.Vis more
January 21 at 9:52 pm · View Feedback (2) Hide Feedback (2)
_____ end quote _____

In this one http://www.facebook.com/group.php?v=wall&gid=55549666855
Camilla Angelina Håman  and Kjersti Jackson again post the same text they posted on the other boards (translated above), though the one by Camilla adds "traditions of North and South America".
« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 10:56:37 pm by Kathryn »