Author Topic: The World Drum Project  (Read 8711 times)

Offline BlackWolf

The World Drum Project
« on: February 11, 2010, 05:36:03 pm »
Does anybody know anything about this?
http://www.theworlddrum.com/

About The World Drum

The World Drum Project is an idealistic non-profit organization founded in Norway in October 2006, with focus on peace and environmental issues.
The World Drum itself was created from a spiritual viewpoint of life and is a Shamandrum made in Sami (indigenous people of Norway) tradition style.

The World Drum itself came to life by the handcraft of a Sami-medicineman and drummaker after a vision of a Norwegian Shaman .

Offline Unegv Waya

Re: The World Drum Project
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2010, 03:38:40 pm »
I've only ever heard of them in relation to once when there was a world day of drumming for peace some two or three years ago.  I recall a couple of people from Norway remarking on the similarities between the indigenous people of Norway and America natives.

nvwatohiyadv

Offline educatedindian

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2010, 04:09:42 pm »
Our member Freija is Swedish and has some contacts with the Sammi who could tell you about many of these participants.

Looking at the participants, many seem to be from reserves in Canada. Many of the American and Canadian ones also seem either altmedicine types or "generic" shamanism or Nuage. There's no really infamous exploiters among the Americans, but a few that have been questioned here at NAFPS such as "John Two Hawks" and Carol Proudfoot. The worst of them that I see is Manataka.

Offline dabosijigwokush

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2010, 12:15:12 am »
looks like another white ego woman
pray for pay

Offline BlackWolf

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2010, 01:30:18 am »

EducatedIndian said
Our member Freija is Swedish and has some contacts with the Sammi who could tell you about many of these participants.

Yes, I'd be interested to see what Freija says EducatedIndian.  In particluar about this alledged Sami Medicine Man, and the others mentioned.

The World Drum Project came to life by its founders Whitecougar, Birger Mikkelsen and Morten Wolf Storeide.

http://www.manataka.org/page1427.html

Sami Medicine Man and Drum Maker, Birger Mikkelsen created the World Drum after a vision of Kyrre Gram "White Cougar" Franck.

dabosijigwokush said

looks like another white ego woman
pray for pay

When I first saw the site and read what they had to say, it seemed like a good cause.  But some things that they do don't seem to make sense and I can't really grasp exactly what their goals are.  They say they focus on Peace and environmental issue, but I can't really see what is being done exactly to help these causes.   

Offline BlackWolf

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2010, 01:36:05 am »
The other thing that made me wonder was about their leaders looking for ceremonies to be arranged in different countries throughout the world.  For example they arranged for John Two Hawks to conduct a ceremony in Arkansas when they were there.  The post below talks about Australia. I'm just wondering if what they are doing is for a good cause.

http://www.ausanthrop.net/phorum/read.php?1,1909

The Worlddrum Project visits Australia-09
Posted by: whitecougar (IP Logged)
Date: March 23, 2009 12:51PM

The Worlddrum Project visits Australia in Autumn -09
The Worlddrum will arrive in Australia during late August or early September -09. We are seeking participants to arrange ceremonies in different parts of Australia. Lynn Guy has agreed to help us coordinate the drums journey in Australia, and contact info will be given upon request.
To read more about participating please visit [theworlddrum.com] . If interested please send a mail to post@theworlddrum.com with:
Your name/organization:
Postal address :
E-mail address:
www address:

When we receive this information we will add you to our mailinglist and list
of participants. And keep us informed about planned ceremonies so that we may
add this to the schedule. Feel welcome to spread the word as there are room
for many ceremonies in Australia.
Blessings and Walk in Beauty
The World Drum Project
White Cougar
Norway

Offline OdawaNDN

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2010, 05:52:05 pm »
Hey gang,
I have some info on The World Drum that might be of use here.  As I understand it, the World Drum is a cross-cultural project with no root or basis in any particular culture.  It's intention is to bring people from all walks of life together in the interest of world peace and raising awareness about the need to take better care of the planet.  There is no money being made from it either, as far as I can tell.  From what I have heard from people who attended the World Drum ceremony that involved John Two-Hawks, was that he made it clear that it was not a Lakota ceremony, but rather a multi-cultural prayer for healing mother earth, or something to that effect.  Everything I know about John Two-Hawks leads me to believe that he is authentic.  I wondered about him too, at first, but real NDN people I know who know him personally say that he is no new age wannabe, that he knows his ways, and is not in the business of selling ceremonies or any of that stuff we all hate.  I do not know anything about "Carol Proudfoot", but I do know that Manataka is a squirrelly deal.  They seem to find ways to attach themselves to authentic NDN people.  I know someone who saw Pete Catches and John Two-Hawks both in attendance at a Manataka event along with some other legitimate NDNs.  I have heard that both Pete and John couldn't believe they got rooked into being there, and that neither of them wants anything to do with Manataka.  Somehow Manataka found a way to hook up with the World Drum too I guess.  Back to the World Drum, the actual drum was created by a Sami spiritual leader, as I understand it.  Anyway, that's all the info I can think of right now.  Hope that helps!

Offline brodjaman

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2016, 08:35:32 am »
as one of the hosts of the worlddrum in Belgium i can say that there is no money involved in this kind of gatherings. This is a project to bring people together no matter what color our believe. We drum , sing and dance our way , we play our music , we pray for mother earth our way. The drum travels alone around the world . One host sends it to the other one.
At our place we ask people to donate a free gift for the cost made for the transport for the drum. The rest of the money is used as a donation for the Children Cancer foundation here in our country.
The intentions are pure , no hocus pocus involved , no wannabe Indian stuff our plastic shaman style gatherings.