Author Topic: Mi'Kmaw Ancestry  (Read 8176 times)

Offline lejeunekin

Mi'Kmaw Ancestry
« on: January 18, 2009, 06:03:02 pm »
 Kwe' All,  My family history was hidden. My relatives and I for generations have been called brasdorindians. I looked for them but not an expert in research. We had one name Francois Lejeune/Francis Young. My mother warned me once you don't want to know who he is, you might not like what you find. she ment he was Mi'Kmaw. I got discouraged many times and gave up many times. In the last yr. & 1/2. My family ancestry has been revealed. Many were recorded in the Micmac & Maliseet church Records in NB. I am overjoy to now know who they are and  all their names. We now have three proven native lines. Where we had little now we find we are decendants of Phillipe d'Azy Muis of Cape Sable. I am excited to learn all I can about the culture that we were denied by the Gov.  and church of the day. Never will they be lost to us again. Wela'lin, Swan
« Last Edit: January 18, 2009, 06:05:02 pm by lejeunekin »

Offline jpwade

Re: Mi'Kmaw Ancestry
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2016, 02:59:54 pm »
Nancy who tells me i am a trouble maker because i address'd her about supporting Leonard Peltier along with James Swan (Russell Means - Republic of the Lakota) needs to get her mind UN-BENT !!!!  .... More on Nancy Swan Cape at the Breton Post, Published on September 12, 2013 , who is now with Bras d'Or Indian Village Association....

"Bras d'Or Indian Village Association held a community meeting on Thursday to discuss the next step in their efforts to establish band status.

The latest development in these efforts came recently when a lawyer was hired who is known for helping the Qalipu Mi’kmaq First Nation in its efforts to achieve recognition as a band.

“He came to meet with us,” said Nancy Swan, chief of the Bras d’Or Indian Village, about what the group feels is a significant step.

“He knows our case because the people of Newfoundland are tracing to Little Bras d’Or.”

Cultural advisor Vaughan_Doucette [Eskisoni] , council member Jerry Gerrior and Andre Lejeune-Desjardins are shown drumming during Thursday's meeting for the Bras d'Or Indian Village Association. In back is Nancy Swan, chief of the Bras d'Or Indian Village Association, holding a copy of a land grant which the association believes will be important in efforts to achieve recognition as a band.

**** NOTE WITH NANCY'S DREAM TEAM LAWYER WHAT OCCURRED IN NEWFOUNDLAND !!!:

Dec. 2013 - GRAND COUNCIL OF MICMACS MIKMAWEY MAWIO `MI

STATEMENT TO UNITED NATIONS SPECIAL RAPPORTEUR ANAYA

Kwe, on behalf of the members of the Sante’ Mawiomi (Mi’kmaq Grand Council) who have traditionally and currently represent the 7 districts of Mi’kmaki, we thank you for your time. The Grand Council of Mi’kmaq, has two specific violations that require your attention.

(1) (CLIP....)

Secondly the federal government creation of the Qalipu Mi’kmaq band in in Ktaqmkuk (now called Newfoundland) that creates potentially 100,000 new status Indians who claim to be of Mi’kmaw heritage, which vastly outnumber the total current population of Mi’kmaq recog-nized in the Atlantic Canada. This unilateral federal action is violations of article 33 of the Declaration that affirms the ability of Indigenous people to determine their own identity and membership.

2. The Qalipu in Ktaqmkuk
The second issue of concern for Grand Council is the federal government creating between 60,000-100,000 new band members in the Mi’kmaq Band of Qalipu.

Canada only recog-nizes about 20,000 Mi’kmaq in Atlantic Canada, and the United States about 500 in Maine. While Canada has constitutional responsibilities over “Indians and Land reserved for Indians” they have wrongly interpreted their responsibilities and scope by recognizing Indians as a “Mi’kmaq” band.

Under our Aboriginal and Treaty rights and international human rights, the Grand Council has the jurisdiction and rights to create or recognize any individuals as “Mi’kmaq” in accor-dance with our custom and traditions. The Grand Council has never been consulted by the federal government or the Qalipu Mi’kmaq, during the creation or negotiation of this band.

The Qalipu Band is considered a landless band created by a negotiated settlement that seeks to remedy historical wrongs of Newfoundland; However, their large numbers of new Mi’k-maq is our concern. This concern is not with all Mi’kmaq from Newfoundland, in fact we have had consistently had Keptins representing Newfoundland on the Grand Council for generations. These new Qalipu members we simply do not know and do not recognize as Mi’kmaq.

Canada asserts it can create thousands of new Mi’kmaq while continuing to deny members in our own community the same recognition based on their discriminatory Indian Act. We are puzzled that the discriminatory policies depriving our grandchildren in our communities Indian status based on blood quantum does not apply equally to the new Qalipu band mem-bers.

http://www.eskasoni.ca/uploads/newsletter/Sante-Mawiomi-Statement-to-UN-Special-Rapporteur.pdf

Offline Sparks

Re: Mi'Kmaw Ancestry
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2018, 11:28:33 pm »
The preceding post was also posted in another thread, with a much shorter introduction (bolded here):

AND .... More on Nancy Swan Cape at the Breton Post, Published on September 12, 2013 , who is now with Bras d'Or Indian Village Association....

The cited newspaper article is here: http://www.capebretonpost.com/news/local/band-status-efforts-continue-for-bras-dor-indian-village-5121/

See also: http://www.capebretonpost.com/news/local/bras-dor-indian-village-association-meets-with-legal-representative-5249/

Event also referred to here: http://brasdorindianvillagebandassociation.yolasite.com/bras-dor-indian-village-association-meets-with-le.php

The rest of the preceding post comes from the PDF linked to at the bottom.