Author Topic: Mato Winyan/Verlinda Montoya  (Read 13077 times)

Offline educatedindian

• Administrator
Mato Winyan/Verlinda Montoya
« on: October 24, 2007, 01:08:16 am »
In Australia also

-----

Native American MEDICINE WHEEL CEREMONY
November 9-11 2007

CONNECT WITH THE POWER OF ANCIENT MEDICINE RITUALS

This retreat is designed for individuals who wish to follow the sacred
ways, create a new vision and experience the special medicine of
illumination within the sacred medicine wheel. Our quest back to
 ancient traditions will be led by a Hopi-Tiwa Medicine Woman and will focus on:
§         Spiritual and physical healing
§         Native American purification Sweat Lodge
§         Medicine Wheel ritual of creation
§         Group Spirit Bundle Ceremony
§         Drumming and traditional songs
§         Sacred evening Medicine Wheel Journey
§         Sacred Pipe Ceremony
§         Traditional Ceremonial Giveaway
Our quest back to ancient traditions will be led by Mato Winyan, a
 native American Medicine woman from the Northern Tiwa-Hopi Tribe of New Mexico
and adopted into two Lakota families. The ceremony will begin with the
sunrise construction of a sacred medicine wheel. We will focus our
intention with the creation of a prayer stick that participants will
complete as part of the retreat. The prayer sticks will be powered and
blessed in a traditional Lakota Inipi sweat lodge and used in the
 Medicine Wheel ceremony.

The Medicine Wheel healing journey begins at sunset when we enter the
sacred circle with prayer and traditional Lakota songs. Each
 participant will have the opportunity to journey in all four directions of the
 wheel and gain an understanding of what each direction means and how it
 applies to our life. It is a journey of clarifying, understanding and changing
cycles of our life. When the kachina spirits (ancestral spirits) enter
 the sacred circle each individual has the opportunity to experience hands
 on healing with the medicine women.
After three days of prayer, healing and ceremony in the medicine wheel
 we will complete the ceremony with a feast and traditional give-away. A
packet of information will be distributed when registered.

The cost is $200 to cover lodging, food and materials. The Medicine
 Wheel Healing Ceremony will be held at the Lyell Deer Farm  Mt Samson, .Women
participating must adhere to native traditions regarding Moon time

All are welcome to the opening ceremony on Friday 9 November at 6.00pm
where elders of local Aboriginal and Maori Tribes with welcome Mato
 Winyan to the land. For those not registered for the week-end the cost for the
Opening Ceremony is $15 for adults and $5 for children.

Bookings are essential for both the Retreat and the Opening Ceremony.
Register early to reserve space. The deadline is Monday 5 November
For more information Ph. Linda 3374 3268. To register Ph. Maureen 3289

Offline educatedindian

• Administrator
Re: Mato Winyan/Verlinda Montoya
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2007, 01:24:32 am »
This one looks more complicated. A Pueblo woman claiming also that she is Hopi/Tigua, and that the Tigua and Hopi are the same people? And also claiming to be yet another adopted Lakota with the right to do Lakota ceremony?

Yet at the same time she's not lying about the health agency. Seems a fairly serious person trying to practice traditional medicine. I didn't see any sign of her selling ceremony in the US.

I wouldn't call her a fraud at all like most that we list, yet the ceremony listed above is clearly not right.

-----
Verlinda M. Montoya

Mato Ta Pejuta Wakan Nawjin – Indian Name

Bear Medicine Standing Sacred

Mato Ta Pejuta Wakan Nawjin  ( Mato Winyan)  is her given Indian Name or also know as Verlinda Montoya. She is from the Picuris pueblo of New Mexico , her tribe is Northern Tiwa/Hopi  and she comes from a maternal blood line of Medicine People. Verlinda has been facilitating Native American ceremony for over 20 years. She was adopted by the Lakota-Sioux tribe, Eagle Elk family, and spiritual leader John Around-Him. She has been taught and is under the guidance of Lakota medicine people in conducting traditional Lakota ceremony. Mato Winyan was chosen by her family to take the family medicine altar and conduct ceremony in the traditional ways.   Mato Winyan is an elder, medicine women and a spiritual leader and is deeply connected to her native roots.  She is the leader of the traditional Bear Dance ceremony and leads a Lakota Vision quest ceremony twice a year, in addition to healing and doctoring ceremonies.

Verlinda is a well known presenter and community leader.. Verlinda has been facilitating programs and ceremonies (Lakota and Hopi) for the last 20 years and has used her home for over 300 indigenous ceremonies....

Verlinda is the founder of a progressive home health agency and non-profit foundation, Heart of Humanity. Through these forums, she has championed the empowerment of individuals to become involved in their own health care. She started the first agency in Marin to practice Integrative Medicine, which focuses on providing culturally sensitive and spiritually competent health care services. Verlinda has produced and hosted 20 TV productions entitled “In the Spirit of Healing??? which highlights choices in health and alternative therapies. Through her efforts, over 2,000 seniors and other underserved groups have had access to non-traditional culturally appropriate health care. She has mobilized more than 200 volunteers to donate their time in providing services, educational seminar and workshops to the general public.

Verlinda Montoya lives in Marin County

Offline earthw7

• Standing Rock Tourism
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2007, 01:39:54 am »
Why do these people only name people who have pass away
In Spirit

Offline Cetan

• Hoka Hey
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2007, 05:14:23 am »
Also being adopted is one thing, it does n ot mean that one was given any right to perform ceremonies. And if any teaching was done it would have been done by womwn not men. The Eagle Elk family is still around but the only ones I know of are NAC. Plus she is charging fairly substaintial amounts for these "ceremonies" and Marin county os not exactly a low rent district

Offline Moma_porcupine

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2007, 12:32:40 pm »
CONNECT WITH THE POWER OF ANCIENT MEDICINE RITUALS
Would that be an ancient Lakota Medicine Wheel ritual or a Picuris pueblo ancient Medicine Wheel ritual  , or a ancient Northern Tiwa/Hopi Medicine Wheel ritual ?

I haven't ever heard of any of those tribes having ancient Medicine Wheel rituals . If it doesn't belong to any of the tribes she says she has involvment with , where is this so called ancient ceremony from ? Does she mean it is a ancient Medicine Wheel ritual from the 1980's of the type that was largely invented by Sun Bear?   

When the kachina spirits (ancestral spirits) enter  the sacred circle each individual has the opportunity to experience hands on healing with the medicine women.

Why would the Kachina Spirits want to enter a pay to pray Medicine Wheel in Australia ? What if they want to go to a  Catholic Mass , or a Buddist temple , that day , instead ?

$200 a person with only 100 people attending multiplies into $20,000 . What "ancient ceremony" is that ? Unless the portapotties and food are extremely expensive a good chunk of that is profit .

Sorry but this makes me crabby . It seems like this woman should know better .

I don't think corrupting ancient ceremonies is OK . Even if the person doing this is also doing good things in their community in other ways , what they are doing is just as damaging as all the other exploiters listed here .
« Last Edit: October 24, 2007, 12:50:59 pm by Moma_porcupine »

Offline crazyeagle

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2007, 06:20:22 pm »
sigh...and why is it always Lakota they hit on!

frederica

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2007, 07:23:37 pm »
I would wonder how she got some Kashinas to leave their own territory

Offline Moma_porcupine

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2007, 07:49:45 pm »
Oh , I've heard Australia is a real trendy vacation spot for Kachina Spirits .

Once they are there , I bet they are attracted by the Lakota songs . Even though Kachina's
are Hopi, those Lakota songs call them from wherever they may be in Austraila .

I wonder how much the Kachina Spirits charge to attend ... ? Do people get some of their money back if they don't show ... ?

I wonder if they have to be paid in cash , or are they set up to take credit cards ? 

(Sorry ..I'm bad ...I'm not meaning to poke fun at anyones real Ancestral Spirits ... but ...yeeshhh ...)
« Last Edit: October 24, 2007, 08:16:55 pm by Moma_porcupine »

Offline educatedindian

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2007, 12:38:01 am »
I just noticed that too. Plus Northern Tiwa is the language they speak in Picuris Pueblo, not the name of the tribe, since Taos Pueblo speaks it also. Don't know how they're related to Hopis, if at all. But it seems to me Hopi beliefs are pretty different from the Pueblo ones, which differ greatly among the different Pueblos. And all of them incredibly different from Lakota.

Offline eagle helps him

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2007, 12:55:54 pm »
Thank you for the postings about this topic. They were very much welcomed.

I attended the Australian Event, and was extremely pleased that the first evening was lifted by the presence and warm energy of Elders from 4 of the area's Aboriginal Clans, as well as several Maori Elders. It was a first coming-togethr in many years of these groups on this, their traditional land. Torres Strait Islander and Aboriginal Dancers and Digeridoo players performed, and the local Elders shared some of their Dreamtime stories.

Re: The Montoya Woman. I have very negative feelings about what the she is doing. True, she seems to do a considerable amount of good work in the US, but the fact that she readily mixes traditions does not sit well with me.

Accompanying her was a mixed group of singers (mostly caucasian), led by one Jaime Rosario, a Latino also calling himself 'Wolf who sings with Good Voice'. He claims to have been adopted by 2 Lakota families living in Montana. The group sang some creditable Lakota songs, but I'm wondering what prompted the white folks in the group to come. Perhaps the 'free' trip Downunder?

Montoya conducted a pipe ceremony. So, where did she get the pipe from? She uses a Sun Bear type of Medicine Wheel (spirit told me to keep well away from those ceremonies). She also got people to make Hopi-style Prayer Sticks. By the time it came close to the Sweat Lodge on the second day, I decided to leave the place. Did not seem right (amongst other things) that they were going to run the Sweat in the middle of the day, just after participants had been fed a substantial lunch?! Many things were just not right!

Grandfather Tony White Wolf Arnaz (Lakota) opened the ground at the Deer Farm with his traditional Lakota sweats a couple of years ago. The place holds sacred energy, and the current caretakers of the land are good people. I don't think anyone would have made much money out of the whole thing. Montoya and her group got a 'free ride' to AUS out of it.

I made my feelings about the event known to several of the Aboriginal and Maori Elders before I left. Report ends.

Offline Moma_porcupine

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2007, 11:20:58 pm »
eagle helps him
the current caretakers of the land are good people. I don't think anyone would have made much money out of the whole thing.

First post
The Medicine  Wheel Healing Ceremony will be held at the Lyell Deer Farm

There is a thread on the Lyle Deer farm here ;

http://www.newagefraud.org/smf/index.php?topic=1381.0

www.lyelldeerfarm.com

Authentic Na'he Nahkohe Personal Prayer and Peace Pipes.In Native American tradition pipes were used for ceremonial gatherings,personal prayer and day to day relaxation

I'm not sure what kind of "Native American tradition" these "Personal Prayer and Peace Pipes" that are for use in "ceremonial gatherings" come from , but if these are being sold as Ceremonial Pipes, I am wondering if these folks are aware they are making money off things that most Native people feel are not rightly sold or passed outside of the culture?

As they live in Australia it may be that they just don't know better. If they are good people , as you say, they would probably prefer not to sell something many American Indians feel is desecrated though being sold.

Offline educatedindian

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2018, 11:56:38 pm »
Received an account about her.

----------
Am wondering about Verlinda Montoya, a "medicine woman" from Novato CA. On  March 18, 2018 having a retreat at "Spirit Rock" that seems to be a combination of a morning "traditional Lakota sweatlodge" and afternoon Buddhist activities.  The "starting fee" is 40 dollars.  Evidently she is "from the Picuris Pueblo". The event can be found on the Spirit Rock Facebook page.

She had a monthly women's lodge. Ms Montoya does other ceremonies in Lake County. She has done it other years, as well. Believe she was recently enrolled in the Picuris Pueblo tribe, after finding relatives there, but she actually lives in Novato, CA. She told others that she was raised as a Catholic.

Something about a sweatlodge on a Facebook "event" page, mixed with Buddhist activities, and a 40 dollar fee, seemed odd.

--------
Page of hers. I bolded portions that raise obvious questions.

https://verlindamontoya.wordpress.com/verlinda-montoyas-ceremonies/
Her ancestors are from New Mexico’s pueblos dating back to the 1800’s. She is Tiwa and Hopi with Aztec ancestry dating back to the 1500’s. Her paternal grandparents lived on the Picuris reservation and  the other family lived in the surrounding towns of Vadito and Penasco, New Mexico. The family of the maternal line lived in Llano, Vadito, Las Trampas and Taos, New Mexico.  The Hopi line is paternal.  Her maternal great grandmother also grew up on the reservation. Neither of Verlinda’s parents were raised in their native traditions because of the extreme racism in NM, they chose to raise their children in Utah away from any Native American influence. 

It was in 1982 when Verlinda discovered she was Native American, as she began exploring the native culture she was drawn to do a vision quest in the Lakota tradition, from there she was invited to dance at the Sundance ceremony.  A medicine man saw the medicine bundle in the maternal blood line and offered to help her learn and use its power  in ceremony. She then began a 20 year journey of learning Lakota Sioux ceremonies with the support and help from her adopted family, medicine people and spiritual leaders.

...involved in traditional ceremonies and protocol since 1991, primarily influenced by her Lakota family and she has been under their guidance and support in conducting ceremonies both locally and internationally. Verlinda  has two master’s degrees from  the University of Utah in health education and administration and is a registered nurse.

...It is through Verlinda’s maternal line that the medicine bundle was practiced and passed on to her. She is currently training her grandchildren in the traditional ways. [Not children? Her grandkids likely would be in their teens at most.]

Verlinda now lives in Marin County, California and is frequently requested to conduct sweat lodges, vision quest, healings & other Native American ceremonies for special interest groups, circles and organizations.   She has been asked to lecture on Native American ritual and ceremony for UCSF, CPMC Institute for Health & Healing, Dominican University, Spirit Rock Meditation Center, Seven Circles Foundation and other organizations both locally and internationally. She has also been a guest speaker on radio and television.

Verlinda has been invited to Siberia, Australia, Peru, Belize, Argentina and other Central and South American  countries. She has had the privilege of working with the Shamans of Siberia, the elders of the Maori and Aborigine tribes of Australia, Shamans from Peru, a Curandero from Belize and a healer from Argentina. All of this for a cultural exchange. She also studied and traveled for 10 years with a healer from Argentina conducting classes, healing sessions and lectures regarding master energy work. [Likely Nuage.]

...There are never any charges for ceremony....out of respect for her teachers and family Verlinda has chosen not to list their names or contact information. [Convenient, and suspicious.]