Author Topic: Parisha Taylor, Cherokee Village in Ohio, Center for Human Development  (Read 69451 times)

Greetings from a newcomer to this circle.
I am wondering if anyone has researched Parisha aka Patty Taylor? She claims to be a Cherokee Elder yet I have seen things about her being a fraud, just wondering if others have any knowledge of her.
She has had what some refer to as her "disciples" literally chop down trees and build this "cherokee village" in ohio. I am told by one who followed her teachings for over 10 years that those who join her must give up all personal belongings and turn anything they earn over to her. Sounds cultish to me.
I read too (can dig out these urls if needed) that someone in one of her
"ceremonies" died on a beach where it was being held.
I question if she can cure cancers and AIDS ( as she claims) why she couldn't see that someone in one of her ceremonies was anemic and in trouble?
I do not have first hand knowledge of her...... only what I have been told by this person who followed her ways for over 10 years.
I do question however, why she brings christianity, buddhism, wicca etc into her ceremonies.
LIke I said, I have a lot to learn still.
Thank you
« Last Edit: July 14, 2010, 02:50:58 pm by educatedindian »

Offline debbieredbear

• Global Moderator
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Re: Parisha and the Cherokee Village in Ohio
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2007, 10:12:47 pm »
There are Cherokee people who are knowledgeable that post to this board. They can tell you what they think/believe/know about this person. But here is what I found:
http://www.parishaonline.com/aboutparisha.cfm

"Parisha has Native American and European heritage. She gives credit to her Native Elders and Global Mentors and teaches in wonderful stories that recall her life experiences using Earth and Sky as the atmosphere and location in each adventure. For over thirty-five years she has lived with and as Hopi of the southwest United States, Sages and Lamas of Tibet, Yoga Masters of India and Maya of the Yucatan in Mexico and Guatemala. A Bhutanese Lama recognizes Parisha as a Tibetan reincarnation of Tara a Bodhisattva Buddha."

No mention of her being Cherokee here. BUt oh what a mix of "knowledge" she has.

http://www.yunsaisociety.com/pgw-0006.HTM

"Pa’Ris’Ha is known as an Elder and addressed as Grandmother. She is a Peacekeeper, and a Wisdom Path Teacher, as well as a business consultant and Mentor. She has traveled to most countries on the planet. She has taught thousands over the past thirty years. In her fifty-five years she has studied global religions and spiritual philosophy, acquiring a wealth of knowledge. She is noted by many as a Spiritual Archeologist."

But known as an elder by WHO?? The Eastern Band Cherokee? They are the ones that COUNT on who is one of their Elders.

http://truth.yunsaisociety.com/index.cfm

http://ishgooda.org/racial/natquest.htm

"Domain Name: http://WHITEBUFFALOSOCIETY.COM
Billing Contact: Ha, Pa Ris (PRH6) parisha@ANCIENTS.COM 614-838-4033

Her web broadcast involved "dream interpretation" for callers.  This supposedly the "traditional" interpretation.  Any who have been raised within their cultures are well aware the sham this represents.  Dream interpretation is NEVER done sight unseen for someone with whom the interpreter is not intimately familiar, nor without the proper ceremonials exchanged, and is culturally tribal specific.  This is anything but traditional.  It is in fact fraudulent. "

Offline debbieredbear

• Global Moderator
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2007, 10:32:18 pm »

frederica

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2007, 04:12:59 pm »
Looks like she claims to have been give the title of Elder from William Commanda, who is Algonquin. That is the "Council of All Nations". I always considered that more like the organization of Arvol Looking Horse. It was not given by a Nation's Council. She has some pretty lofty claims. "Cured AIDS". Didn't know that was cured, still pretty much a problem. "Helped bring down the Berlin Wall". Give me a break. frederica

Offline educatedindian

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2007, 04:12:38 am »
This article was passed onto me, along with some more information I'll post tomorrow. Her own family says she's not NDN. Seems to have shifted her homebase from the south to Ohio. Anyone want to try getting Ohio media interested in an expose?

------
http://web.archive.org/web/20050316151433/users.pandora.be/gohiyuhi/frauds/frd0030.htm

"Donations For Ceremony Called "Love Offerings"
Written by Avis Little Eagle

This article has been reproduced from Indian Country Today (Lakota Times) 7/14/1993 V.13; N.3 p. A1

SUMMERFIELD, Ohio -- Playing Indian is the pastime of the White Buffalo Society Rainbow Lodge, a group of non-Indians absorbed with "Native Americanism."

The White Buffalo Society and Rainbow Circle claim members in New Orleans, Alabama, Georgia, Texas, Florida and Canada. It is headed by Pa'Ris'Ha Taylor. The society is dedicated to practicing the way of "Our Grandmother."

"Pa'Ris'Ha formed the society as a fulfillment of the prophecy of her Tsalagi (Cherokee) grandmother, who foresaw a time for the return of White Buffalo medicine to heal the earth and its people," fliers advertising the society claim.

The society provides weekly teachings on "Native Americanism" And also on clinical psychology, metaphysics, holistic health. As a side business, the society operates the "Window of the Mind" bookstore that sells books, gem stones, jewelry, clothing, tapes and Native American crafts.

Pa'Ris'Ha claims to be the granddaughter of "Two natural bloodline Tsalagi" who has acquired lifelong training in metaphysics and parapsychology. She claims to have traveled in India, Tibet, Japan and Guatemala to spread her teachings.

Members of the Ohio Council of Native American Affairs in Columbus, Ohio, said Ms. Taylor's uncle, Robert Riley of Davenport, Iowa, denied her claim to be a full--blooded Cherokee medicine woman. He said no one in his family was Indian.

She claims to sees chakras, (bodily healing points in Eastern philosophies) and to view thought forms and past life carryovers in the aura. She also claims the ability to determine disease in body tissue and see nature spirits and spiritual entities.

Her followers walk "The apprenticeship Path." The society's "ceremonial home" is called Snow Hill Farm located southeast of Ohio where they conduct "the Sacred Rock Lodge, the Sacred Path to Self Discovery, Vision Quests, and traditional seasonal and Lunar and solar Celebrations, in the sacred part of our Mother."

Pa'ris'ha claims to be a fourth generation Cherokee medicine woman. In her credits she prides herself on having worked with actress Shirley MacLaine.

"In the White Buffalo Band, we do not choose to identify with a particular community or reservation, but work with and support all who are working toward balance and healing of our planet and the spirit of all life forms."

To join the society one must fill out a registration sheet and fees are charged on a sliding scale, Canadians pay $80 and Americans $150. "Any amount that cannot be paid will be written out and signed as an IOU to be met in a moon cycle," according to a bulletin from the society.

"Any additional tithes or love offerings can be brought directly to Pa'Ris'ha," an application for membership reads.

But the walk for the "White Buffalo Medicine" society has not always been smooth. In 1991 the society came under close scrutiny in Topsail Beach, N.C., after the death of Joanne Sustar of Chester Township, Ohio, during one of Ms. Taylor's religious ceremonies. This ceremony, a soul-purifying ritual, involved burying people in the sand. People participating in the ritual were buried with plastic bags to protect their eyes from sand and were given snorkel-like tubes for breathing. Ms. Sustar died from lack of oxygen, according to medical examiner Dr. Juan Luis Zamora, in media reports.

Ms. Taylor denied any responsibility for the death, saying Ms. Sustar got close enough to the light and didn't want to come back. Ms. Taylor did not return telephone calls."

Article copyright Indian Country Today.

Offline educatedindian

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2007, 02:19:14 pm »
Moved to Frauds. She's not just phony but dangerous.

Here's some of their claims. The bizarre lies fly fast and furious, with almost every sentence.

-----
http://truth.yunsaisociety.com/Articles/LindaMcTear-Testimonial.htm
"For all who are concerned, we want to share some of the opposition that has faced this organization,  the Yunsai Society, and its Elder and founder, Pa’Ris’Ha. The world and its people are always experiencing opposites. There are those in the world who feed off negativity and create embittered feelings toward all who are influenced by them. So facts have nothing to do with what people such as this say and repeat in gossip.
Kindness, respect, and truth mean nothing to these people. They believe that passing on their sickness in some way relieves their own, and maybe in their weak mental state it does for the moment. Then consciousness kicks in, and the guilt and relating state comes over them, and the bitterness becomes the never ending cycle of abuse and destruction. Guilt and fear-based people hurt and harm others. The abused become the abusers....
The negative are but a few, and the majority  are supportive....
We hope you have weathered the illusion of victim and are now open to the facts and truth...."

;D Are they talking to themselves?

"Pa’Ris’Ha has opposed many over the years, and she is a direct and outspoken person. She can be a very strong opposition to all who would harm or destroy any of Creator’s works. She stands on solid humanitarian service and is a prophet of our day and time. This makes waves in our world and few have the courage to be as she is. But her love and faith in People and our evolution toward ethereal Beings is undaunted by anyone’s gossip and discrediting attempts."

How does her head fit through doors with that ego?

Oh, she doesn't need to. She's evolving toward an etheral being.

So her head must just float through the doors. ;D

"By great demand, she still presents several programs a year. She travels and teaches all over Europe and Asia as well as the Americas. While maintaining the demand of a huge membership and organization in which she is still very active, she is also in the process of writing three books: one a story of a child and the forest, one on healing, and another on cosmology and quantum physics. So she stays very active and busy. She maintains two International Conference calls a week at present (1/2005), and is in the process of acquiring a Radio show again for a Human Development Program. She loves people and loves coming to know as many as she can meet in this lifetime. She maintains at least a couple of thousand personal student relationships. She is a challenging mentor and coach. She has asked us, the organization leaders , to assist in training and assisting the majority of her students (over eighty thousand ) and we have tried. As of this  date, we are developing a program with the convenience of the Internet and will continue with seasonal events and programs. This summer we are also breaking ground for another center and retreat facility in the Southwest United States."

Has anyone in Europe heard of her?
That book on quantum physics should be, uh, entertaining.
The thousand victims ("students") sounds credible. 80,000?

They are just amazingly ignorant of Native history and people. I think, like with Harley Swiftdick's cult, it helps weed out the knowledgable who might challenge them.

"People are not comfortable speaking of their Indian heritage in the Southeastern United States."

Are you kidding? Even the worst white racists brag about it, or make it up.

"Indians were not allowed to own land or go to school"

False and falser. They were FORCED to by the govt.

"Natives were held on reserves???

This isn't Canada.

"Today many Natives need a card to travel, just as a non-citizen would need here."

:o :o :o

"Some Plains people feel superior to East Coast Natives because they were the first to receive the impact of European arrival."

Again, where is she getting this nonsense? They must have never met an NDN in their life.

"Native tribes and clans were already murdering and killing off the more peaceful Native peoples long before European people came here."

OK, they're ignorant AND racists.

"The warring societies are still the most vocal opposition to friendship of Non-Native people."

You mean....like the Hopi?

"These same Natives and Mixed Bloods, for reasons one can only guess at what advantages it brings them, will accept celebrities and influential people as friends while making derogatory remarks of them to their own Native groups."

Again, what are they talking about?

"There is an attitude that is always obvious to those who have been raised in a Native community. And there exists a deep racial prejudice."

They seem to be talking about themselves yet again.

"when people ask of her spiritual base, “I am a Cherokee Christian Buddhist.??? She has been given recognition as the reincarnation of the mother of all Buddhas, Tara. In Russia she was proclaimed as the return of Helen Blavatsky, and she was given fourteen medicine bundles of Spiritual Medicine Elders who asked her to hold them until they return."

Medicine bundles in Russia?
And Blavatsky was a racist fraud, not anyone to brag about. 

"Still, she is humble and more generous than anyone you will ever meet"

;D
Please, my belly is starting to ache from laughter.

But then it gets serious. They claim to be investigating Trish and smear her with lots of ugly lies and threaten lawsuits.

"Our Society has paid for an investigation and has found no one in North Carolina or Oklahoma to give validation to this person or her web site. She is of mixed blood according to what she has published on her site and states she is denied and not accepted by Natives. She says she has been abused. So we feel a bit confused as to why she attacks many, not just Pa’Ris’Ha, with hate-filled misinformation. So we advise all who read her stuff to consider the source and look intelligently at  what she says and claims. Surely you can see she has a problem. We are preparing a law suit against her statements that Pa’Ris’Ha killed someone."

Their account of the woman's death.

"in Cleveland, Ohio Pa’Ris’Ha clashed with the local newspaper due to their support of a person stealing Native Donations we were collecting as an organization. This man just happened to be a close relative of the people at the newspaper. So when a close friend of Pa’Ris’Ha’s family died in North Carolina there was a lot of sensationalism taken on by that editor and paper. Then the negative critics in Native communities who she opposed began to feed their lies and misguided information on top of it.
The facts are that the  woman who died passed days after taking ill  and passing out on a public beach. They found her to be severely anemic and gave her transfusions to bring up her blood count and she died while in the hospital under doctor’s care, not Pa’Ris’Ha’s or any other organization member present there. Pa’Ris’Ha says daily prayers for the reporter who wrote all the overstated  and untrue material. The reporter had stated when she asked him why he was writing all the untruths that  his editor would not publish anything else and he needed to make a living. So the drama began and they fed off, literally, no truth-based information at all. When we decided to sue them the attorney told us we could spend several hundred thousand dollars and they would never print a retraction of their untrue publishing. So we determined to not use that amount of funds on the suit and instead to help feed and support programs for the less fortunate."

Interesting that they don't say how the money was used.

"The Yunsai Society was originally called the White Buffalo Society. It was changed due to the crime based operations of a Plains Indians group called White Buffalo Calf (Woman) Society. We then determined it was better to continue our work and service as the Cherokee pronunciation  and spelling of this, Yunsai, means White Buffalo in the Cherokee language. This Society was named this after Mad Bear and Rolling Thunder, back in the late sixties, saw the vision around a then younger Pa’Ris’Ha."

Mad Bear and Pope were not legit themselves, and not even claiming to be Plains Indians.

"We want to clarify here that not all A.I.M. members hate Non-Native people. We have met hundreds who have been really supportive to us"

;D Really? And yet they don't name even one. Then they follow with this bizarre racism.

"The very same people who call themselves warriors of A.I.M. and are feared by their own are often of mixed white bloods themselves, so it is evident there are other agendas in place"

"the Celtics and Druids, as well as many original European peoples, did rock lodges, had nomadic homes such as the tee-pees and yurts."

Pretty funny how they spell tipi like a kid's book of forty years ago. Someone show me a European tipi. One that isn't built by a white playing NDN.

"we have found that we can buy peace with all the Natives taking issue by paying “membership???

Once again, they don't name a single case. I know they haven't bought off Trish, they'd rather smear her name.

"The newspaper she claims she is quoting is called Indian Country and it has stated that they  simply ran a  copy of the other newspaper’s material, and this is where all the back-peddling starts. And it did not say that anyone in the Yunsai Society was responsible for anyone’s death."

Actually, it does state that. And it's called Indian Country Today. Sheesh, they don't know the first thing.

There's more at the link where they smear her uncle and claim all "donations" are voluntary.

Offline educatedindian

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2007, 03:30:19 pm »
A pretty funny article on her passed on to me, also exposing some ridiculous racist comments of hers. (Paraphrasing) "It so hard being an NDN, even though no one knows I'm NDN by looking at me, and it's the NDNs fault they were slaughtered and driven off the land, not the white racists who did it."

http://www.memphisflyer.com/backissues/issue482/being482.htm
"White Buffalo Medicine Woman Pa’Ris’Ha performs miracle: turns sacred wisdom into Hamburger Helper.
by Chris Davis

"The press release read, “Being with Grandmother is like standing with God.??? I’d been waiting 30 years for a tip this hot. This ain’t no run-of-the-mill missing-persons case I’m working here. It’s got more twists than Chubby Checker, and only one thing is for certain: Whoever it was who nabbed God sure knew how to cover their tracks – but good. I toss back the last cold drops of my bitter cup and grumble, “If y’er half as good as you say you are, sister, you got a mighty big muumuu to fill.???

Pa’Ris’Ha, a.k.a. Grandmother (left)
Pa’Ris’Ha, a.k.a. “Grandmother,??? is a Cherokee “Wisdom Keeper??? boasting a profound grasp on physics, the ability to converse with plants and animals, and the ability to summon the winds. She was scheduled to speak at a place called The Connection Center, a sort of “church of anything goes,??? where pictures of Jesus hang alongside yogis, gurus, Buddhist monks, and abstract paintings. It used to be a 7-11.

When I get to The CC for a little Q&A with Grandmother, its proprietress, the Reverend Anne Gillis, greets me. She’s a real looker with a mess of red hair. “Do you mind if I sage you???? she asks. I consent. I’ve never been saged before. Igniting a bundle of herbs, she fans the smoke over me with a feather. She sages me up and down while informing me that Grandmother is running late. She gushes over the new book Grandmother is working on, and relates that a portion of it reads like really good porn. She’s my kind of minister. I case the joint while Reverend Gillis sages the rest of the room. “Grandmother is very sensitive to energy,??? she chirps. The shelves house all the usual suspects – crystals, incense holders, books and candles, all for sale. The book topics range from rebirthing and relationships to cures for cancer. The Reverend expresses worry about this weekend’s turnout – apparently Grandmother’s services, while negotiable, don’t come cheap.

I’m thumbing through Richard Bach’s Illusions when Grandmother arrives. I extend my hand but Grandmother says, “We’re hugging people.??? The sage smoke musta clouded my judgment – before I know what’s happening, I’m hugging everybody. Slips like that ain’t safe. They damn sure ain’t professional.

During our chat, Grandmother relates the hardships of growing up a fair-skinned Indian with curly red hair. She ponders shape-shifting (people turning into animals) using Dolly the cloned sheep as scientific proof that such things can happen. I don’t follow the logic, but I’m sucker-punched by her sincerity. Then she makes an even stranger claim – that the native peoples of North America allowed their land to be taken and their people to be slaughtered. She harbors no animosity and she seeks to empower her people’s conquerors with the ancient knowledge she claims to hold.

The center is packed on Friday night, but there is not a red face in the house. Neither is there a tan face, or a brown face – in spite of the occasional dashiki, it’s strictly vanilla. The drumming begins. A guy in the crowd unleashes his inner warrior by patting his mouth and yipping like a scalded puppy. Grandmother sits and quietly speaks of abundance and thanksgiving. She tells inspirational stories and assures the room that in 20 years we will be able to do amazing things using only our brains. She attempts to tie science to religion, but her physics examples are flawed – seems she has the notion that heavenly bodies do not collide. She talks of simplifying life, and as an example, tells how she wasn’t even allowed to read a book till age 17.

During intermission people are encouraged to purchase dream catchers and leather goods made by Grandmother’s disciples. There are T-shirts for sale, too. I begin to despair that God isn’t going to show tonight when the drumming begins anew. In the second half of the program, Grandmother teaches how to shake the bad karma from a dollar bill, and how to stack dollars to insure their growth. The crowd is enraptured, and for the first time I sense a spirit moving – no – many spirits. The spirits of commerce and convenience have been awakened, as have the spirits of impulse and consumption. These are the spirits that inhabit this building – it was after all, a 7-11. If only more of my people had lived to see Indian culture grow so popular,??? Grandmother laments.

Yes, I think, exactly like standing with God."

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2007, 12:21:46 am »
Looks like she claims to have been give the title of Elder from William Commanda, who is Algonquin. That is the "Council of All Nations".k. frederica
Yeah I have to admit I was surprised to read that WIlliam Commanda would name her anything lol

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2007, 12:29:03 am »
somewhere in her white buffalo site i think it was ( i can dig up the url if necessary but i so hate giving her site hits lol) she lists amongst her "events" she has ( for a fee of course) things including ET!, leprechauns (Wee people lol) and a special workshop for parents of kids who do drugs and makes comments about dealing with  as she puts it ""hulousagens" LOL. to name a few. Also lists a Breath through Life Workshop.......... hope that one doesnt involve being buried in dirt with only a straw to breathe through.

Offline educatedindian

• Administrator
One member of the cult contacted us and tried the usual, empty legal threats.

Parisha's cult up and moved to Kingman AZ recently, though much of the cult likely remains in Ohio. Also branches in Canada. Let's start with older news, two deaths the cult was involved with and widely accused of causing. The first was a member of the cult's inner circle. P Taylor apparently took quite a bit of money from her, up to 85 grand. This gets pretty ugly, a compound, cult leaders pressuring for money and dictating relationships.

-----------------
http://blog.cleveland.com/pdextra/2010/07/white_buffalo_society_member_t.html
White Buffalo Society member takes her own life, family questions why
Published: Wednesday, July 07, 2010, 3:41 PM     Updated: Tuesday, July 13, 2010, 11:48 PM
 Michael Sangiacomo, The Plain Dealer

This story was originally published in The Plain Dealer on Aug. 24, 1997

On a hot summer day one year ago, the 47-year-old administrator of an Ohio-based New Age religious group, the White Buffalo Society, pulled her car into a storage rental unit in Caldwell, Ohio. Inside the car were her peace pipe and a hand-written suicide note.

She closed the unit door, let the car engine run and slipped into oblivion.

On Tuesday, the anniversary of her death, the parents and sister of Laine Nicholls gathered at a remote cottage in northern Ontario and tried to make sense of her life and death.

"We still have the same questions and concerns as we did a year ago," said Nicholls' sister, Judy Blake of Toronto. "I don't know if they will ever be answered. I suppose in many ways we lost Laine years ago when she joined the White Buffalo Society. We want to know how she lived and died, but the society is not telling us much."

She said the cottage is a quiet place in the forest, the kind of place Nicholls loved.
Officials of the White Buffalo Society, a group founded in South Euclid in 1986 and now based at a secluded 92-acre farm in southeast Ohio, said they were as surprised as anyone at Nicholls' death. They described her as a happy, functioning member of the group.

There is no question about the manner of Nicholls' death, Noble County Sheriff Landon Smith said.

"Suicide, plain and simple," he said. "She was a depressed woman. She rented a space in the ministorage herself earlier that day. That's where she was found."

Blake said she couldn't understand how a group that is "supposed to be devoted to helping people" failed to see the signs of her sister's depression and suicidal tendencies.

Paige Martin, lawyer for the White Buffalo Society and longtime right hand to White Buffalo leader Patricia Taylor, said in a written statement that Nicholls' family was making the society a scapegoat. According to the statement, the family refuses to acknowledge its own estrangement from Laine Nicholls.

Members of the family deny they were estranged and point to numerous visits with Nicholls, including one two weeks before her death.

Friends say they were surprised

Nicholls' friends in the society said they were shocked and deeply saddened by her death.

Susie Harris, who took over as administrator after Nicholls died, said she had no idea Nicholls was depressed.

"Her day-to-day life was as normal as ever," she said. "She had the same ups and downs as anyone. She had gone through a divorce [filed in 1994] and had some family problems."

Nicholls grew up in rural Ontario, married, and had a successful career as an executive in a Toronto bank before joining the White Buffalo in 1987.

Family members said she began seriously searching for spiritual direction in the early 1980s. In 1986, she met Taylor, who espouses a pastiche of beliefs rooted in American Indian, Maya, Tibetan and other religions.

"The longer she stayed with them, the less of an individual she became," Nicholls' mother, Viola, said during an interview in her Ontario home. "She would just parrot whatever Patricia said. Once I asked her what would happen to her and the group if Patricia died. She got very quiet and said, `Someone else would step in and take over.' It was as if she always expected to be told what to do."

Alan Nicholls said his daughter went from being a "self-assured, successful, financially independent businesswoman to an insecure, penniless stranger who appeared to have no ability to think for herself."

In the past, other families have alleged that the group controls the lives of its members. Law enforcement officials, including Noble County's Sheriff Smith, said nothing could be done unless it could be proven that group members were being held against their will.

Group says it seeks peace

The mission of the White Buffalo Society, according to information posted on its Web site, is "to inspire, promote and live in global harmony and peace with all the creations. To live totally in flow with the principles that are universal to all life. We the people of the White Buffalo Society have one rule: respect."

The White Buffalo Society came to national attention April 27, 1990, when 43-year-old Joanne Sustar of Chester Township died during a "soul purification" ceremony in Topsail Beach, N.C. Police and medical authorities said she and four other people were buried under more than a foot of sand with plastic bags over their faces and plastic tubes in their mouths for breathing.

Sustar lost hold of the tube and suffocated.

Blake said her sister was attracted to the society because she was looking for spiritual and personal enlightenment.

Blake said she and Nicholls first heard Taylor speak in 1986 in Toronto, then joined a White Buffalo trip to Sedona, Ariz. Blake said she grew skeptical during the trip but that when they returned home, Nicholls spent more and more time with the society's Toronto branch.

Soon, Blake said, her sister's job was suffering because she was "blowing off Mondays and Tuesdays" to stretch out weekend trips to South Euclid and Summerfield.

Blake said Nicholls could not get enough of Taylor's teachings.

"If you don't know Patricia, she is a charismatic person," Blake said. "She speaks with a great deal of confidence and seems to know what she is talking about. Of course, metaphysics and spiritual healing is pretty loosey-goosey anyway so who knows if what she says is right?"

Nicholls became president of the society in 1992 and held that position until 1994, when she became the administrator, the person responsible for daily business operations.

Pal says Nicholls was detached

Jodi Hill of Toronto said she and Nicholls were as close as sisters for many years until commitments to work and family caused them to drift apart. She spoke to Nicholls on her birthday, Aug. 3, just 16 days before her death.

Hill said she was eager to catch up with Laine's life, but instead found her friend reserved.

"She told me she was living in a commune in Ohio, and I was fascinated," she said. "Laine and I have a history of being chatterboxes, but she seemed to be removed from the conversations, like she was somewhere else."

Hill said Taylor's influence was powerful.

"Whenever I asked her about her personal life, every response was preceded with, `Well, Pa' Ris' Ha [Taylor] thinks I should. ...',' Hill said. "I wondered where my friend had gone; there was no sense of self. She was not the Laine I remembered."

Taylor's followers call her Pa' Ris' Ha, a name they say means beloved.

Nicholls moved to the farm in Summerfield in Noble County in 1993. The society shifted its base to the county after Taylor predicted major floods from Lake Erie.

About 30 people are believed to live on the farm. Most are Canadian women who have jobs in the community and share the farm chores. In its Web site, the White Buffalo Society claims a membership of about 5,000 in the United States and Canada, but others put it at closer to 400.

Taylor splits her time between the farm and a condominium in Columbus.

"No one has ever been more devoted to her work than Laine Nicholls, and she made a difference to many people," Martin, the society's lawyer, said in her written statement.

Group has Net firm, bookstore

Nicholls helped develop and run Jade, an Internet access provider company that the group opened in Columbus, about 100 miles from the farm. The group also runs a New Age bookstore in Columbus.

Nicholls' family said she was concerned about raising money for the group and was always coming up with business ventures, including a plan, which never materialized, to hunt animals and skin them for their fur.

"She ran through all her money and was always worried about pulling her weight," Blake said. "She was afraid if she did not, she would have to leave the farm. That was her biggest fear and a fear that was used to keep her in line."

Martin said, "Laine was financially strapped to the point of borrowing extensively from friends and associates through the three years of her divorce."

Although the White Buffalo Society is not willing to discuss its finances, the community appears to have thrived over the last four years while Nicholls was administrator. Improvements to the farm include two new dormitories that would not be out of place at a ski resort.

No money left, sister says

Blake said that when her sister died, she had few possessions and no money.

"Much of [her money] ended up with the White Buffalo Society," Blake said. "We may never know how much, but I found canceled checks and bank statements that tell part of the story."

Blake estimates her sister could have spent as much as $85,000 on the society. Canceled checks from 1988-90 and a few from later years show $23,510 in society-connected expenditures, with $14,521 of them made out to Taylor.

"I also have some of her checkbook registers, where she wrote down check numbers, the amounts and to whom the money was paid," Blake said. "I do not have the canceled checks to back these up, but they show $41,759 given Patricia Taylor and her various enterprises. She shows another $19,455 for Taylor-sponsored trips, breath therapy lessons and other expenses."

"We just don't know how much she gave. This is just what we know about."

Martin said the society felt that all the explanation for any money Nicholls spent was evident on the checks themselves.

"Laine was the kind of person who wrote in the memo section of her checks to explain the expenditure," the written statement said. "Any checks Laine would have directed to Pa' Ris' Ha personally would have said `love offering.'

Over the years, Taylor has altered her name to the current Pa' Ris' Ha.

Blake said the family had made several unsuccessful attempts to get law enforcement agencies interested in investigating the finances of the White Buffalo Society, which the articles of incorporation filed with the Ohio attorney general's office describe as a nonprofit, religious, educational organization.

"Her [Taylor's] teachings come at a very high price," Blake said.

Nicholls kept personal journal

Much of the family's knowledge of Nicholls' last days comes from a journal she kept on her computer.

Many of the entries were business-related, but some spoke of her personal life. She talked about an unspecified failure and described a month she spent in exile from the group shortly before her death.

According to the journal, leaders of the society ordered her exile. She lived in the woods of the retreat for the month of June 1996, fighting bugs and her fear of rats.

One reason for the exile was complications caused by her romance with the estranged husband of another group member.

Much of the family's criticism centers on the last night of Nicholls' life.

That night, the family said, Nicholls listened as society members discussed her life during a group meeting.

"My sister, Stephanie, and my brother, Tim, went to Ohio after Laine's death," Blake said. "We talked to Patricia and she told us that Ted Harris [Nicholls' boyfriend] called a council the night before Laine took her own life. Patricia said Ted acknowledged to the group his relationship with Laine. She told us that Laine was really distraught by the whole thing."

Nicholls' sister, Stephanie Heitman, of Wainfleet, Ontario, said Laine Nicholls had explained the affair to her.

"She and Ted were close," Heitman said. "In the compound, things work differently. His wife said it was OK for Laine to see her husband. She said, `If you want him, you can have him.' Then Laine and he got closer and the woman changed her mind."

The Harrises' divorce became final in September, just four weeks after Nicholls' death. Neither could be reached for comment.

Martin saw the night of the council differently.

"Ted Harris called a council to discuss his life," she said. "He wanted to apologize to his wife and complete his divorce. He wanted to bring closure to his marriage and begin a permanent relationship with Laine after that. Laine's name was mentioned peripherally."

Later in the written statement, Martin said that both Harris and Nicholls called the council.

Note referred to relationship

Nicholls' unaddressed suicide note was not specific about her reasons for taking her life. It referred rather cryptically to her relationship with Harris.<

"Tell Teddy there won't be any temptation now over the next 28 days," the note said. The two had agreed to remain apart for that period, until the divorce took effect.

"Take care of my medicine and tell my mom I love her with all my heart. She is the best mother, make sure she knows that grandmother [a term group members use for Taylor]. Make sure she knows she did not fail me."

"They never called my parents about this," Blake said. "Even though they called to tell us to come and take her things away the day after her death, they never mentioned any of those things. That's another reason we are angry with them."

The note also asked Taylor to "sing me over. I want to go to the lodge," a reference to the afterlife and the group's adoption of language connected with American Indians.

Taylor claims to be the granddaughter of a Cherokee medicine woman, although an investigation into her background by The Plain Dealer proved that to be false. Birth records and interviews with residents of the small Alabama town where Taylor's grandmother lived revealed that Taylor's grandmother claimed no Indian heritage.

Taylor's uncle accused the White Buffalo Society leader of spreading false tales about her heritage.

Nicholls' suicide note asked Taylor to bury her on the Snow Hill Farm property. That did not happen. Nicholls' family took charge of her body and returned it to Canada.
She was buried in the Zion Cemetery in Dunnville, Ontario, next to her grandparents, less than a mile from the country home she grew up in.

"She's here now, she's home," Blake said. "No one can hurt her anymore."

Offline educatedindian

• Administrator
Seems incapable of the truth, one loony claim after another.

http://blog.cleveland.com/pdextra/2010/07/contradiction_marks_life_teach.html#incart_mce
Contradiction marks life, teachings of Pa' Ris 'Ha Taylor
Published: Wednesday, July 07, 2010, 3:28 PM     Updated: Tuesday, July 13, 2010, 11:36 PM

This story was originally published in The Plain Dealer on June 9, 1991

It's difficult to pin down the background of the White Buffalo Society's leader, because she keeps changing it.

Pa' Ris' Ha Taylor, a 49-year-old blond, fair-skinned woman who claims to be a Cherokee Indian medicine woman, is founder and leader of the society and the Center for Human Development.

Her heritage has frequently been questioned by Indians. Recently, her uncle said his mother was an Alabama Baptist, not a medicine woman, as Taylor has claimed.

That's not the only apparent contradiction in Taylor's life.

She frequently disavows written and oral information previously released by her or the society. The information is filled with claims of superhuman powers, like flight and telepathy, but is always vague. It rarely lists details such as names, places and dates that could be used to verify the claim.

As a former student put it, even when Taylor is wrong, she is right.

"One time she said something to me, very clearly and very specifically," the ex-member said. "Later, she said the exact opposite thing. When I confronted her about it, she said, 'I know that's what you heard me say, but that's not what I said.' She drove me crazy.'

Contradictions abound in the literature and teaching of the society. All of the center's informational literature, an ex-member said, is personally reviewed by Taylor before it leaves the building. Yet Taylor has said much of the material in the literature is false, the result of overzealous assistants.

A leaflet said Taylor had cured herself of leukemia when a doctor told her she had only six months to live. She later said she never had any real evidence that she had the disease and that a later test proved she did not have it.

Another release said she had "lifelong training in metaphysics and parapsychology" and had studied in the United States and in many foreign countries, including China, India, Tibet, Japan and Guatemala.

One release said Taylor had taught Buddhist monks in China in 1962, when she was 21. It did not say what she taught them.

A flier said she practiced clinical nursing for eight years, had 11 years of education in psychology and held advanced psychology degrees. She listed her occupation as a nurse in her marriage license application.

Taylor recently said she never was a nurse and did not have multiple degrees, as previously stated.
She now says she received her education from watching and learning from others, but still maintains she studied in foreign countries. She said she went to college and took classes if the course interested her.

Another undated release said Taylor studied brain development, psychic perception and clinical hypnosis at California State University. The university was unable to find a record of Taylor's enrollment or of the woman under whom Taylor said she had studied.

A release said she had studied Huna medicine in Hawaii and had lived with a Zen monk for nearly a year. From there she went to India to study in an ashram with a yogi, it said.

"Why won't she offer a shred of proof on these claims?" asked Don MacMillan, a Toronto-area man whose wife joined the society and divorced him. "She is the one making all these claims; I just want her to back them up. I'd like to see her passport."

Most of the information on Taylor's marriage-license application is contradicted by other sources.

On May 7, 1973, she applied for a marriage license in Cuyahoga County with Anthony S. Taylor, the man to whom she is still married. According to a society flier, she was married twice before marrying Taylor. But on another occasion, she wrote in a pamphlet that she had endured 18 years of an abusive marriage before Taylor.

She was 32 when she married Taylor, even though her marriage application showed her age as 26.

On the application, she listed her maiden name as Cormelia. It is Cornelison, according to her birth certificate, which Taylor herself amended in 1963 to add the name Patricia to the blank space asking for the first name of the child.

On her marriage application, where she also lists her name as Patricia, she lists her place of birth as Indianapolis. She was born in Russellville, Ala., where she lived with her grandmother until she was 12, according to her birth certificate and relatives.

Her marriage application lists her mother's maiden name as Mary Sheilds. Her mother's maiden name was Mary F. Riley, according to the woman's brother. Lastly, Taylor lists her occupation as nurse. In a four-page advertisement published in the Edition newspaper of Cleveland, she denied having been a nurse. She said she had worked with nurses but was not a licensed nurse herself. She blamed "overzealous PR people" for calling her a nurse.

According to the Center for Human Development's pamphlets about Pa' Ris' Ha Taylor, "Many world leaders and celebrities have been drawn to her for her healing work."

"I'd like to see some proof of that claim," said MacMillan. "Let's see names and dates. I have asked for proof but never gotten a response."

Recently, Taylor told a Plain Dealer reporter that she was "always called Pa' Ris' Ha."

That is not true. Most of her life, beginning with her birth certificate, she was Patricia.

In 1986, she was called "Patrisha" in a publication of the Center for Human Development. In 1987, the center's literature called her Parisha, with no apostrophes or upper-case lettering.

It was sometime in 1988 that she adopted the name Pa' Ris' Ha, which soon became Pa' Ris' Ha (pronounced parish-ah) in all formal and informal communication. MacMillan also asked for proof of Taylor's assertion that she has superhuman abilities.

Those claims to supernatural abilities grew after she and society members returned from a trip to the Azores, where they purportedly searched for the fabled lost continent of Atlantis.

After the publication of the advertisement in the Edition, which included a report on the trip written by one of Taylor's apprentices, Taylor told a Plain Dealer reporter that she had defied gravity. She said she had suspended herself 10 feet in the air and taught her disciples from that perch.

She said that she had descended into boiling water, stayed under for about 10 minutes, and emerged dry, according to the ad.

In the Azores, the ad said, she called on the winds and they blew across the sands and left a message about the fate of mankind clearly written in the sand.

"The message was that we must extend ourselves beyond our present limitations and return to harmony," the advertisement said.

The same ad said the group had located the remnants of Atlantis, including an underwater gateway with the words "Atlantis" inscribed in it. Among the other abilities Taylor says she possesses is aura-reading. For a fee, Taylor would read a person's aura, which she described as an invisible field of energy that surrounds people.

By reading the aura, Taylor says, she can tell whether a person has a disease or medical problem, or if something is troubling the person. It could not be determined whether she still charges for reading auras.

One of her former students said that although she didn't think Taylor could read auras, the group leader was a shrewd judge of character.

"I will say this for her, she's an incredibly perceptive woman," the woman said. "She can read body language, subtle movements of the hands and eyes, and interpret the way people talk to make it seem like she knows more than she does. She would make a good psychologist."

According to her former students and information released by the center, Taylor claims she can also read minds, project her own thoughts, see spirits, predict the future and appear in two places at the same time.

At a meeting several years ago, Taylor turned to her disciples and said that she read in one of their minds that one was ashamed of her position with the group. A chastened acolyte later told another member that she hoped that Taylor hadn't plumbed her subconscious and found such doubts.

"If she can do these things, prove it," said MacMillan. "She said she travels through time and space - prove it. How can she keep making these fantastic claims and never back up any of them?"

Taylor was once asked by The Plain Dealer to give a demonstration of her flying ability. She laughed and said such proof would be provided only after years of study and apprenticeship to her.

Offline educatedindian

• Administrator
Ceremony selling.

http://blog.cleveland.com/pdextra/2010/07/paris.html#incart_mce
Pa'Ris'Ha Taylor abusing sacred ritual, Indians say
Published: Wednesday, July 07, 2010, 3:39 PM     Updated: Tuesday, July 13, 2010, 11:51 PM

This story was originally published in The Plain Dealer on July 4, 1993

The ceremony calls for men to take sharp, wooden hooks and dig them deep into the muscles of their chests. One end of a long cord is attached to a hook and the other end to the top of a tall tree.

The men lean back, caught up in the rapture of prayer. And as the imbedded hooks tent their skin, they dance.

Called the sun dance, the ceremony is a Plains Indian prayer ritual.

In what some call a horrific violation of the sacred American Indian ceremony, South Euclid-based new age religious leader Pa' Ris' Ha Taylor plans to sponsor a sun dance here at dawn today.

Her group, the White Buffalo Society, is made up of white, upper-middle-class, professional women and men from Canada and the United States.

"A sun dance is usually held on sacred ground, the same place year after year. This is not sacred ground," said Kenneth Irwin, director of the Ohio Center For Native American Affairs in Columbus. "Also, Taylor is charging - she calls it a donation - from $150 to $550 from those who attend, in addition to a $600 offering. You can't buy this ceremony. Our elders [who conduct ceremonies] are the poorest people of our tribe. We give them blankets and tobacco, that's all."

About 50 American Indians from Cleveland, Dayton and Columbus came yesterday to protest along the country road in front of the retreat owned by Taylor's White Buffalo Society. Dennis Banks, a national director of the American Indian Movement, tried to persuade Sioux medicine man, Charles Chipps, not to conduct the ceremony.

But after more than two hours of talks, the group left. Chipps said the ceremony would begin at sunrise this morning and last three days.

"The Indian people will deal with Chipps in our own way," said Banks. "Once word gets out that he participated in a sun dance where money was charged, his name and prestige will hit bottom in the Indian community."

Chipps told Irwin that the seven Indians who came with him would lead the dance and that 20 members of Taylor's group would participate.

"It is possible to dance without being pierced, but he said most will be pierced," Irwin said.

Banks called the ceremony a desecration "of the worst possible sort."

"This is not a pay-per-view event. This is our religion that this woman, with her background, is desecrating."

Chipps said that the ceremony should be shared among all people, and that he would stop the ceremony if he felt it was being done improperly.

Chipps, an Oglala Sioux from South Dakota, comes from a family of medicine men that has performed the annual ceremony in South Dakota for many years.

Irwin said he can't understand why someone with Chipps' standing would perform the sun dance for non-Indians, away from sacred ground.

Chipps said he did not want to speak about the sun dance until it was over.

When a reporter and photographer from The Plain Dealer attempted to observe the meeting between Chipps and the protesters, they were surrounded by more than 40 White Buffalo followers who held up bolts of cloth to block the view. The followers had covered their bodies with mud and what appeared to be excrement, and filled their mouths with garlic. They rubbed up against the pair to make them leave.

The Noble County Sheriff's Office was called to the scene twice by White Buffalo officials and was asked to order the press off the highway. Police refused, saying the media have a right to stand on the public access and photograph or report what they see. The Sheriff's Office asked White Buffalo followers to maintain a distance from the reporter and photographer.

Some who opposed the sun dance, like Joyce Mahaney, president of the American Inter-Tribal Association of Toledo, said she did not dare protest. "I would not go near that area because of the bad medicine that it will produce," she said.

Clara Heldman, of the Native American Cultural Center in Akron, who is half-Sioux, was even more severe in her rebuke.

"The participants will have terrible luck if they go through with this," she said. "The ceremony will bring nothing but bad things to everyone. I feel very sorry for them."

In the traditional sun dance, participants hang from the hooks all day. They used to hang all night as well, for three or four days, but lately they stop and sleep at night.

Irwin, who has performed the ceremony many times in South Dakota, said they do not remove the hooks from their chests, but allow the cords to slacken enough to lie down at the base of the tree and sleep for a few hours.

The dancers will not eat for the duration of the dance. They will be permitted only an occasional sip of tea made from sage. The sun dance usually lasts four days, but may be stopped at any time by the leader.

"The sun dance goes back to our creation," Irwin said. "We are asking for understanding and help from our God, our grandfather. The prayers come from us, through the line to the tree. The tree is our connection from the Earth to the grandfather. We are calling on all the powers for us to be reborn through the sun dance."

Once the dance is over, the hooks are removed and everyone has a great feast.

Irwin said he never minded the pain.

"It's not painful when you do it," he said. "If you are praying and your mind is on other things, you don't feel the pain. Later, it will hurt. It takes a couple weeks for the wound to heal. You don't sleep on your stomach for a while, that's for sure."

Sun dances are held in the summer on the Lakota (Sioux) reservations in South Dakota. Many people are familiar with the exercise because of a 1960s movie about a white man adopted by Indians, "A Man Called Horse."

Noble County Sheriff L.T. Smith said he was aware of the White Buffalo Society's ranch for several years, but has had no problems there.

"This week we received complaints that they were blocking the road, but that's about all," he said. "A few months ago, some local boys went out there and mooned some of the women, but generally we have no trouble."

Smith has noticed increased construction at the 82-acre site, called the Snow Hill Farm. In addition to the farmhouse, there are now three barracks on the property. It is undetermined how many of Taylor's followers now live on the property.

Taylor and the group came under scrutiny in 1991 when one of its members, Joanne Sustar of Chester Township, died while buried under sand in a religious exercise in Topsail Beach, N.C.

Taylor has repeatedly claimed to be a full-blooded Cherokee medicine woman who learned her craft from her maternal grandmother, also a medicine woman. After interviewing Taylor's maternal uncle, and reviewing birth records, The Plain Dealer learned that Taylor's grandmother was not Indian.

"My mother was not a full-blooded Indian and neither was my grandmother," said Robert Riley of Davenport, Iowa, in 1991. Riley is Taylor's uncle and the son of Effie Riley, Taylor's maternal grandmother. "There are no Indians in our family. None of what Patty says is true."

Offline educatedindian

• Administrator
They show all of the worst signs of being a dangerous cult.

---------------
http://blog.cleveland.com/pdextra/2010/07/out_of_parisha_taylors_spiritu.html
Out of Pa'Ris'Ha Taylor's spiritual group, tales of a death lottery
Published: Wednesday, July 07, 2010, 3:34 PM     Updated: Tuesday, July 13, 2010, 11:56 PM

This story was originally published in The Plain Dealer on June 10, 1991

Pa' Ris' Ha Taylor told members of her White Buffalo Society she expected them to die for her, four former members say.

They said she once asked the members to pick numbers to determine in which order they would sacrifice themselves.

They described Taylor as a paranoid bully who uses intimidation and manipulation to cow her followers in the South Euclid-based society into complete, unwavering loyalty. Even though Taylor preached love and spiritual enlightenment, her former followers said, she also preached mistrust, and a fear of evil sorcerers, magic spells and the FBI.

Although no one spoke of any physical harm that had befallen a member or former member, the four said they feared Taylor and the group. A spokesman for the society declined to answer any questions for this story.

The ex-members, who spoke under the guarantee of anonymity, thought the group would be a path to spiritual growth but left it at different times over the past three years after becoming disillusioned.

They belonged to the group over a period of about four years and painted a grim picture of life in the White Buffalo Society under Taylor.

"One night Patty said she had no problem with Jim Jones and his followers drinking the poisoned Kool-Aid because they had found such a utopia there was no way they wanted to go back into the real world after being with Jim Jones," one recalled.

"Patty asked her followers to pick numbers in the order they would be willing to give up their life for her," she continued. "Part of being in the medicine circle was to agree to lay down our lives for her. She said this was her way of determining how far she could push people. If a person would die for her, they would do anything for her."

The White Buffalo Society operates out of the Window of the Mind bookstore at 4310 Mayfield Rd., South Euclid, and is a branch of the Center for Human Development. It is also known to the Internal Revenue Service, where it has tax-exempt status under the name Center of Winner's Circle International.

It teaches yoga, Buddhism and such exotic beliefs as mysticism, astrology, Earth-spirit communication and other subjects.

"Patty would tell us that the FBI was watching constantly and that we had to be on guard," the ex-member said. "She also said she could read our thoughts and she knew that one of us was a traitor. This made us suspect one another and only trust her. We were afraid of her.

"One woman put aluminum foil around her room because she thought it would stop Patty's spirit from entering her dreams."

An FBI spokesman denied that the bureau ever had any interest in the group.

The tension in the society increased with the public scrutiny that followed the death of member Joanne Sustar, 43, of Chester Township, on April 27, 1990, at Topsail Beach, N.C. Sustar died during a White Buffalo Society ritual designed to cleanse the body of chemicals by allowing them to leach into the sand.

Athough the society will not divulge membership figures, the ex-members believe the number of followers in the Cleveland area has waned from 50 to about 30 since Sustar's death and protests by American Indians who object to Taylor's use of Indian rituals.

Even as membership in the local group declines, the number of members in the Canadian branches seems to be swelling, according to Canadian sources.

The members of the White Buffalo Society are mostly women, mostly upper-middle-class professionals. They meet at least twice a week and frequently go on religious retreats to the group's 82-acre farm in Summerfield, O., where festivals are held several times a year.

The group also goes on trips to places of religious importance like a Hopi Indian settlement in Sedona, Ariz., the Mayan ruins in the Yucatan Peninsula, the monasteries of Tibet, and the Azores, where the group says in its fliers that it found Atlantis.

A former apprentice said she believed that in the beginning, Taylor was trying to do good works. Society members who learn religious methods from Taylor are called apprentices. "I really think at some point Patty recognized her power to manipulate people and it corrupted her," she said. "She recognized that there was money to be made from it and she wanted more. It was a high."

The financial dealings of the organization are also shrouded in mystery. The group is registered with the state of Ohio as non-profit, but former members said a great deal of money changed hands.

"Patty calls money `green energy,' and it's always a concern,' said one of the former members. "We were always being pushed to take more, expensive workshops and go on expensive trips. Whenever we did these things, we were expected to give Patty `love offerings.' These were supposed to be donations, but if we didn't give enough, we would be publicly admonished in front of the group.'

Members were asked to sign a paper in which they agreed to give up 10% of their annual earnings. It is undetermined how many members in the society signed the paper.

"Nobody but Patty really knows how much money is in the group," said a former student. "For example, in the fall of 1988, she took a group to North Carolina. Before they went, she told the apprentices that the grandmothers (spirits) told her the love offering was $600 each. If they didn't have the $600, they couldn't go."

That money was above and beyond the cost of the trip, housing and food. Money is also raised through festivals, such as the Wind, Fire and Earth festival held several times a year in Summerfield, workshops at the Mayfield Rd. headquarters and at the Canadian branches and outside speaking engagements by Taylor and other society members.

The former members said the whole structure of the group was based on Taylor, who is revered by the members.

"There was no question that we were to worship her," said one of the former members. "We also worshiped the spirits but always through her. We were supposed to have an altar in our houses where we lay crystals and offerings. In the middle of the altar we're supposed to place Patty's picture."

The former members said Taylor's word was absolute, there was no argument. "We had to stand when she entered a room," one said. "We had to sit when she sat. We could not eat until she ate. We had to walk behind her in a special fashion. It was like worshiping a god. She did not want to be treated like a human being."

Taylor's world is full of invisible forces, some good, some evil. Her followers said she found evil influences everywhere. When Taylor's young daughter suffered a puncture wound while playing in a barn at the Summerfield retreat, she blamed the daughter of a follower. She said her apprentice's young child had tried to kill Patty's family in a previous life.

Taylor was ever on guard against "black sorcerers" who tried to steal her magic by working through her followers.

When Taylor's dog was hit by a car at the retreat, she blamed the apprentices.

"If something bad happened, she would blame the apprentices or some force out there that was trying to get her," said a former member.

"Once a small fire started in the house in Summerfield. They had a cat that ran loose in the house and a candle that was always burning. It looked to me like the cat knocked over the candle and started a small fire. They put the fire out.

"Patty said she was told by the spirits that one of the apprentices was practicing bad medicine. She used that incident to get people to believe that something bad was out there after them and that only she could save them."

"She encouraged us to tell her our fears and then she would turn around and use that knowledge against us," said another woman. "We played right into her hands."

Taylor's claims of Indian heritage have caused a great reaction among American Indians in Ohio. They have denounced Taylor, maintaining that she has no Indian heritage and that she exploits the very American Indians she purports to revere.

They also said that even if she was 60% Cherokee, as she says, Indians do not  reveal their religious practices to non-Indians.

Richard Morales of the Cleveland American Indian Center said the center recently rejected an offer of a scholarship from Taylor for an Indian youth, calling it "blood money."

Taylor calls the society an "international organization presenting cultural perspectives and teachings from different traditions."

The followers practice and learn about American Indian, Buddhist, African and Hawaiian religions and a hodgepodge of other religious beliefs. Currently, there is a current heavy emphasis on Mayan religion.

The group has also offered courses in tarot card reading, astrology, aura reading, mental healing, breathing exercises, spirit channeling and numerology, to name a few.

Taylor and her associates now call themselves "spiritual archaeologists" who "regard the Earth as an organism which gives life to all creatures."

For her background and training, Taylor credits her maternal grandmother, who she says was a full-blooded Cherokee medicine woman. However, the woman's son - Taylor's uncle - said she was not an Indian, not a medicine woman, but a Baptist homemaker who lived and died in Alabama.

Offline educatedindian

• Administrator
And finally, they've moved to Kingman AZ. More accounts of cult practices, pledges to die for her, shady financial dealings.

----------------

http://www.kingmandailyminer.com/main.asp?Search=1&ArticleID=38969&SectionID=1&SubSectionID=797&S=1
An Interesting Development
Learning Center for Human Development sets up shop in Kingman

James Chilton
Miner Staff Reporter

If you live on Kingman's eastside, you might have already heard of the Learning Center for Human Development.

Based out of a small single-family house on Heather Avenue, the center describes itself as a non-profit outreach organization, performing educational services, assisting children and the elderly, maintaining a food pantry and hosting various exhibitions.

Associates of the center also go door to door, introducing their programs and offering small household trinkets such as candles and stuffed animals in exchange for donations to their cause.

Perhaps its most visible presence since establishing itself in Kingman in late 2008 has been at the various neighborhood clean-ups, job fairs and economic development forums, though members also frequently attend City Council meetings, and one member, Mike Dellar, is a commissioner on the Economic Development and Marketing Commission formed late last year.

The Kingman center is an extension of the original Learning Center for Human Development formed in the mid-1970s in Ohio by a woman named Parisha Taylor, who has since relocated to Kingman with her family. While Taylor says she stepped down as executive director of the non-profit five years ago, she has remained a visible presence in Kingman following its establishment here, speaking before groups such as Kiwanis and Rotary and taking a leading role in working to bring the Patriot Wall, a three-quarter scale traveling Vietnam War Memorial, to the area.

"I did not like seeing good people just complaining and blaming others, so I asked a few close friends to work with me and put our energy together to make a positive difference in the world," Taylor said of the center.

"Over the years, we grew and became an international organization that networks with many other like-minded people to enhance quality of life and foster personal growth. It has been well received and had wonderful results."

Originally based out of South Euclid, Ohio, the Learning Center relocated to the tiny village of Summerfield in the late 1980s following Taylor's purchase of a farm there. Today, the farm still stands, serving as the organization's headquarters for all U.S. activity as well as the site of numerous weekend events including "business seminars, interfaith groups, inner-city youth leadership programs, (and) Boy Scout troop camps," Taylor said.

"It primarily does relief services to help people in need. It hosts and provides educational programs to enhance personal development and skill building," she said. "It has a retreat facility with 82 acres and a variety of structures for meetings, housing and other purposes."

The center in Ohio has also served as the site for numerous Native American-style rituals performed by a group called the Yunsai, or White Buffalo Society. That group was also formed by Taylor in the mid-1980s as an extension of a small meditation circle that used to meet in the basement of her home.

In fact, the two groups appear to have quite a bit of overlap in their membership, and tax returns even list www.yunsaisociety.com as the Learning Center's Web site. Taylor explained that the society technically falls "under the LCFHD umbrella."

"The Yunsai Society ... is focused on international research of ancient civilizations, their cultures and philosophies," Taylor said. "It attracts people from around the world for multi-cultural activities that study world traditions."

Taylor describes the Yunsai Society's practices as ways of communing with nature and getting in touch with one's self. "We do periodic fasts, and we also participate in sabbaticals where we are alone for three to four days and journal and be in nature," she said. "We also do sweat lodges."

A sweat lodge typically consists of superheated rocks placed in the center of a tent or similarly enclosed structure, with the resultant steam creating sauna-like conditions. A purification ritual long practiced by various Native American tribes, modern sweat lodges have recently come under fire following two deaths that occurred during a ceremony led by motivational speaker and self-help guru James Arthur Ray last October in Sedona. A third participant died nine days later, and another 18 of the roughly five dozen participants were hospitalized. Ray is currently awaiting trial in Yavapai County on three counts of manslaughter, to which he has pleaded not guilty.

A similar sweat lodge death occurred at the Learning Center in Ohio last July, when a co-founder and longtime attorney for the organization, Paige Martin, died during a demonstration.

According to the Noble County coroner, Martin died of pulmonary burns she sustained when the water she poured over the superheated rocks literally exploded in her face, burning her over three quarters of her body and injuring at least one other participant.

Nearly a year later, the death remains under investigation by the Noble County Sheriff's Office, according to the investigating officer, Deputy Phil Lumpkins. But Taylor's account of Martin's death differs from that of the police.

"Paige had developed a serious cholesterol condition and died while leading a sweat lodge when her heart stopped and she could not be resuscitated," Taylor explained. "We were shocked and deeply saddened by her death."

Martin's wasn't the only death to be associated with the Learning Center. In April of 1990, Taylor and her associates gave statements to police following the death of another member, Joanne Sustar of Chester Township, Ohio, during a sand burial ceremony in Topsail Beach, N.C.

According to Taylor, Sustar "was a severe anemic and 20 years ago she fainted on the beach and died two days later at a hospital." Police reports from both Topsail Beach and Chester Township paint a different picture.

The reports indicate that Sustar died due to complications she suffered after being completely buried under 2 to 4 feet of sand and given a small tube to breathe through. During the subsequent investigation, former members of Taylor's group claimed that Sustar had been participating in an "earth initiation," one of a number of rituals led by Taylor and designed to cleanse the soul, where the body's impurities are leeched away into the sand.

Something had apparently gone wrong with Sustar's breathing tube and she ended up choking on her own vomit. According to the police report, Taylor herself called for the ambulance, while several of those present, including Martin and Dellar, attempted to aid Sustar to no avail.

Upon his arrival at New Hanover Hospital the morning after the incident, Sustar's ex-husband, Jerome, said the doctors had declared her effectively brain dead.

"According to them, she'd died of the vomit that had come up and closed off her windpipe," Jerome said in a recent interview.

"When I got there, she was on life support, but I talked to one of the doctors there and he said, 'There's no way, she's not coming back.'"

Twenty years later, Jerome said he still blames himself for not paying closer attention. As time went on, he said, his wife had seemed to get more involved in both the White Buffalo Society and the Learning Center, and more distant from him, eventually culminating in their divorce.

"I kinda wondered what was really going on, but Joanne was really tight-lipped about it," he said. "I know they went to their sweat lodge, that thing with the hot stones and water. I guess I was just stupid because I never really put things together. I thought it was just a bunch of women getting together."

That's how it started, at least. But in 1984, Taylor announced to her then-meditation group that she intended to bring her teachings to the public through the Center for Human Development, according to the police statements of then-member Sandy Miller. Miller said Taylor had originally envisioned a company designed to bring in various motivational speakers to discuss concepts relating to personal growth and skill development.

The idea was actually a revival of an earlier business Taylor had started in the 1970s called "The Winners Circle International," according to Miller, who left the group in 1986. The center sought and eventually earned non-profit status from the IRS in the early 1990s.

At the time, Taylor referred to herself as "Pa'Ris'Ha," and claimed to be the descendent of two full-blooded Cherokee, Miller said. When she first revived the Center for Human Development (the "Learning" part was added later), Miller said Taylor offered each member of her group the chance to be on the board of directors for an initial $500 investment.

Despite the Center's weak initial business performance through the mid-1980s, Miller said Taylor was still able to convince the board to help her finance the purchase of Snow Hill Farm in Summerfield, Ohio, which she claimed would "provide a place for the group to go for protection when the mass annihilation of the earth occurred." Another ex-member of the center, Sue Ann O'Brien, claimed Taylor had predicted that "Lake Erie was going to rise and flood Ohio and the group would be spared there."

According to Taylor, however, "the purchase of the lands in Summerfield was based on the LCFHD interest in farming. We purchased a farm to raise and store organic foods and to develop healthy food products."

She added, "We have had many programs where we teach people to be prepared for floods and earth changes," though she contended that "Lake Erie is not anything I remember as a threat," adding that "some events held by historians did teach there that the Ohio Valley was once a lake and could be again if conditions were different."

Miller said her share of the expense for the farm was $1,200 down and another $75 a month. But while the original legal paperwork had included her name, as well as those of the other board members, Miller claimed Taylor had later come back to explain that the bank "would not allow that many names on the deed." Instead, the property was deeded solely to Pa'Ris'Ha and her husband, Anthony.

O'Brien, along with ex-members Emily and Christine Calamante, also told police that Taylor required members to tithe 10 percent of their income and personal wealth to her, and would frequently pressure them to make additional "love offerings" upon completion of various rituals and training courses.

To this, Taylor said, "If a person does not pay a fee, we ask that they do service in exchange for what they are given. I am very determined that there be an exchange for what we take. So it has been LCFHD policy."

O'Brien said group members would frequently go on sojourns to sites of spiritual significance, including Canada, Sedona, Topsail Beach, Cherokee, N.C., and Hawaii, where O'Brien's statement to police claimed a large number of followers were burnt during a firewalking ceremony led by Taylor.

"We did have an event that involved a firewalk," Taylor said.

"And to my recall, there were two people who did not follow directives regarding doing this out of 30 that had poor results." She did not elaborate further on what injuries, if any, the participants sustained.

O'Brien said she left the group in 1988 after two years due to Taylor's claims that she "could see auras and protect everyone from evil," among others.

By the time she left, O'Brien said she and her daughter had spent more than $6,000 on various seminars, trips and ceremonies offered by Taylor and the Learning Center. She told police that Taylor seemed to "spend money excessively" and had requested that all checks be made out to cash, because "the checks would clear the bank faster."

"We all made our checks out to cash to help (the) person arranging accommodations and venue to be able to cover those upfront costs," Taylor explained. "Those days, credit cards were not as popular a means to do such. Also at that time, banks worked with that; today they do not."

To the excessive spending claim, Taylor said, "I am known to give away all I can earn to less-fortunate people, by simply taking everything I have in my wallet at the time and giving it, maybe (O'Brien) talked to someone about that?"

Miller described a number of initiations and ceremonies the group would take part in, including the sand burials, sweat lodges and firewalks. She also described a "water initiation" where up to six people would forcibly hold the initiate under water until "Parisha sees your heart spill over into your soul" and ordered them to be let up. At least one former member, Emily Calamante, claimed to have nearly drowned during one such initiation.

Miller also described a blood ceremony that began as a prick on the finger but which she said eventually escalated into "the slitting of your palm and cauterizing the wound in the fire and making a commitment to protect Parisha with your life."

When asked about this, Taylor said, "When a person accomplishes important personal goals or feats, we have ceremonies to recognize those accomplishments," adding that "when a person becomes a member, they pledge to live within the bylaws and codes of honor of the organization." She maintained, however, that "no one has participated in a ritual in which they committed to protect me, and no one has ever cauterized anyone around me."

Taylor said the non-profit "is funded by donations from members and staff. Beyond that, it would be inappropriate for me to comment on the organization's finances except to say that it abides by the law, and I believe the IRS files are publicly available."

According to the most recent publicly available IRS records, no tax returns for the organization could be found for any of the last three years, and the Learning Center actually submitted its 2006 return in January of 2009. The Center's current legal representative, Arlene Potash, maintains that "the LCFHD is in complete compliance and current with the IRS."

A call made to the Learning Center's Summerfield headquarters for further comment on June 29 was returned with the message that all officers were out of the office until after the July 4 holiday. The Learning Center's executive director, Robbi Gunter, came to the Daily Miner's offices on July 2 demanding to know why the Miner was investigating Taylor's connections to the Learning Center. She declined to answer any questions.

Potash has since stated that Taylor "has no criminal record, nor arrests or investigations regarding anyone's death inside or outside the organization. She has more than legally proven through direct testimony and family affidavits her lineage and all things that had been brought to question more than 20 years ago."

Potash also denounced a series of articles published in the Cleveland Plain Dealer between 1991 and 1997 where reporter Michael Sangiacomo made inquiries into Taylor's claims of Cherokee lineage and interviewed a number of ex-members of the White Buffalo Society, many of whom echoed Miller, O'Brien and the Calamantes' statements regarding the group's operations and finances, as well as Taylor's leadership style.

"The articles from the Plain Dealer are pure yellow journalism, with the reporter admitting that writing these sensational articles was his ticket to fame and gained him a prominent position in his newspaper," Potash said.

"It's totally ridiculous," Sangiacomo said when asked his opinion of Potash's statement. "I never said any such thing to her at any time, and I never profited in any way from the stories I wrote about Parisha and her society.

"No such conversation between her and I ever took place; in fact, when I talked to her, she'd make that claim, 'Oh, you're just doing this to sell papers,'" he continued. "And I would say to her repeatedly, 'I don't sell papers, I'm in editorial and I write stories only for their news value.'"

Copies of Sangiacomo's articles about Taylor can be found in an archive on the Cleveland Plain Dealer's Web site: http://topics.cleveland.com/tag/white%2520buffalo%2520society/index.html.

Potash maintains that "the Learning Center for Human Development has been in existence for over 40 years and has not a single blemish."

Yet at the time of her death, the center's former attorney, Paige Martin, was facing up to a six-month suspension from practicing law for allegedly taking a client's funds out of her Interest on Lawyer Trust Account without his permission or knowledge. The account, which was maintained to generate funds to pay for clients' legal expenses, was transferred to an entity called Five Star Credit Union.

According to court records from Martin's disciplinary hearing, the Columbus Bar Association found that Five Star Credit Union was not a licensed credit union, nor was it insured by the FDIC. The sole signatory on the account was a woman named "Da'Nagasta," who was also listed as the assistant treasurer for the Learning Center for Human Development on its most recent business license filing.

Likewise, the authorized representative for Five Star Credit Union was Mary A. Smith, another member of the Learning Center and one of the followers who accompanied Taylor to Topsail Beach during the Joanne Sustar incident. In fact, many of the names listed as witnesses in that police report - Mary A. Smith, Robbi Gunter, Arlene Potash and Mike Dellar - remain associated with Taylor and the Learning Center, and even helped establish its operations here in Kingman, where many of them now reside.

Taylor claims the Learning Center and its members have only the best intentions for Kingman, as evidenced by their participation in the recent job fair series at Cerbat Lanes and their continuing presence at local economic development forums and community clean-up events. The Kingman center, she said, remains focused on working with local charity and service organizations on what its members perceive to be "the most pressing needs" in the current economic environment.

"Our job fair has had tremendous success, and we've worked with various local organizations and charities to help the city grow by helping local small businesses, promoting new industry, and serving as a catalyst in getting the Kingman Community to come together and help itself," Taylor said. "I love Kingman and have felt very welcomed by the people here. My family and grandchildren are here with me, and we look forward to continuing to serve the Kingman community and doing what we can to help it flourish."

Offline Songbyrd

Re: Parisha Taylor, Cherokee Village in Ohio, Center for Human Development
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2014, 01:24:16 am »
Greetings from a newcomer to this circle.
I am wondering if anyone has researched Parisha aka Patty Taylor? She claims to be a Cherokee Elder yet I have seen things about her being a fraud, just wondering if others have any knowledge of her.
She has had what some refer to as her "disciples" literally chop down trees and build this "cherokee village" in ohio. I am told by one who followed her teachings for over 10 years that those who join her must give up all personal belongings and turn anything they earn over to her. Sounds cultish to me.
I read too (can dig out these urls if needed) that someone in one of her
"ceremonies" died on a beach where it was being held.
I question if she can cure cancers and AIDS ( as she claims) why she couldn't see that someone in one of her ceremonies was anemic and in trouble?
I do not have first hand knowledge of her...... only what I have been told by this person who followed her ways for over 10 years.
I do question however, why she brings christianity, buddhism, wicca etc into her ceremonies.
LIke I said, I have a lot to learn still.
Thank you

Yes, I have almost 30 years of knowledge about Parisha. You openly admit here that you "do not have first hand knowledge of her" - yet you don't mind trashing her based on a bunch of rumors and gossip that has never been substantiated. What urls are you going to produce? The glut of articles from the one reporter who has been trying to convince the world of his bullshit because he thought he could make a reputation for himself on a scandal? He totally ignored statements made by her sister and brother - there is no truth in the article that he supposedly interviewed -the uncle who was dying of brain cancer. He also has totally ignored any other credible sources who refuted his crap. You ought to read the comic books he writes - his "hero" kills his own brother.

The real story here is that Cleveland Plain Dealer's boy wonder, Mike Sangiacomo, asked to study with Parisha and when he was turned down, the vengence began.

"She has had what some refer to as her "disciples" literally chop down trees and build this "cherokee village" in ohio." Actually, I spent 25 years helping to build a beautiful conference and retreat center in southeastern ohio - we didn't chop down the trees, we bought our wood from the local Amish. Volunteers from all over the world helped in that project. People can rent rooms there, get home cooked meals. There's no hunting because the land is a sanctuary for wildlife.

"I am told by one who followed her teachings for over 10 years that those who join her must give up all personal belongings and turn anything they earn over to her" What a crock of crap!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Your source of information is clearly deluded. Like I said, I've been around for almost 30 years and no one was ever asked to give up all their possessions, give all their money or any of the rest of those bullshit claims. Have you ever noticed when some people change their minds or decide they want to follow a different course of action, instead of just making the adjustment they have to make someone wrong?

What I find even more interesting is that people here put so much stock in speculation. What a shame.