Author Topic: help with fake women pipe carriers  (Read 15842 times)

Offline KiowaKat

help with fake women pipe carriers
« on: October 22, 2007, 12:51:26 pm »
Hi I'm needing help with these kind of people, Earth was giving some info :) here is one in my area St. Louis

http://www.kielyclan.com/pdf_word/my_story.pdf

her bio and nothing about her being indian

http://www.kielyclan.com/

her prayer alter and her pipe...let me know what guys think, what can I do to tell st. louisians that she is playin indian and she gets paid to make these little prayer ties for the public.....she is a professor at a university and she is working the American Indian department, my daughter went to that university a couple of years ago and you would think this woman would find out if any ndn kids went to her school since she works in that department...but she didn't...I heard her speel to the public when I was demonstrating beadwrok, I was appauled to say the least and this is how Lakotas are represented in this area .....

Offline Cetan

• Hoka Hey
Re: help with fake women pipe carriers
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2007, 01:18:46 pm »
Pictures of Sundance grounds posted on the web - and for a university professor to mispell their on her website!!! I notice she never says who she is, who taught her, what tiyospaye she is part of. Sure seems bogus to me

Offline KiowaKat

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2007, 07:05:07 pm »
Pictures of Sundance grounds posted on the web - and for a university professor to mispell their on her website!!! I notice she never says who she is, who taught her, what tiyospaye she is part of. Sure seems bogus to me

me too I agree, but now what LOL...how do we stop these fakes???...are they going to fight it with freedom of religious act?...

frederica

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2007, 07:55:16 pm »
Is this the same woman that ran the Cahokia Powwow a few years ago and causes a big split. Many from the St. Louis Indian Center having one at Spanish Lake? That non-profit of theirs states they are not even required to be NDN to belong.

Offline KiowaKat

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2007, 08:01:29 pm »
Is this the same woman that ran the Cahokia Powwow a few years ago and causes a big split. Many from the St. Louis Indian Center having one at Spanish Lake? That non-profit of theirs states they are not even required to be NDN to belong.

I know all about the thunderbird take over of the ndn center I was there and it wasn't pretty, we didn't and don't have enough ndns here in st. louis to run a place like that anymore, I was having to service anybody who walked thru the door, since the funding was pulled due to embesselment of the past officers, we have been doing good here and keeping the ndn community together thru all this :)
our group the American Indian Educational Resources of St. Louis will get a chance to run the Cahokia pow-wow in 2008 YAY...but we need LOTS assistance however lol.......

Offline earthw7

• Standing Rock Tourism
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2007, 08:42:39 pm »
It is too funny she makes reference to Russell Mean's but then says she is not related to him. She reference people with Indian descendant but not Indian people. The things she has set up as an alter is too funny. Why do these people do these things?? they are fakes.
In Spirit

Offline earthw7

• Standing Rock Tourism
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2007, 08:45:02 pm »
Walk up and take her pipe away
In Spirit

frederica

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2007, 10:52:21 pm »
It's all smoke and mirrors. She is not Ndn. I doubt if the pipe is real.

Offline bonestyx

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2007, 11:44:03 pm »
Hm. I wonder if she shows up for all her lectures dressed like that...

bonestyx

Offline Defend the Sacred

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2008, 01:08:20 am »
Walk up and take her pipe away

I've been thinking about doing this the next time a white, fake "pipe carrier" crosses my path. The thing is, it would not be as clear-cut if I took the pipe away from them, being a white person myself. If I did take the pipe away from them, I assume they would fight me somehow; maybe call the police.  If it was at a public event, I think a white person doing this to another white person would need some kind of backup, like, "I am taking this and sending it to this First Nations group so they can decide what to do with it."

There would probably also need to be some precedents to cite if it went to court.  I avoid these newage types as much as possible these days, but there are some that turn up... One, a few years ago, claimed the chanupa she had was borrowed from someone Lakota. I was so stunned she had it, and was planning on using it, I didn't know what to do. But now I'm thinking about what would be best if and when the situation arises again. I'm also thinking about how best to handle it if their use of the pipe has not been made completely public, even if a number of people know what they are up to.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2008, 01:10:14 am by Kathryn NicDh? na »

Offline chiefytiger

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2008, 12:00:45 pm »
 :(  from looking at the pics and the SunDance grounds That is totally wrong and the pics . The pic of the trailor house looks like it was outside of Manderson and the back ground of the paha sapa looks like around Manderson as well,The alter is diffently Nuage style ,what an embrassement .And does she still do that there at the college ... The pipe should be taken away and nothing seems Native in my eyes .... This is probaly an old post but Im sayin what I think and feel .she ought to be horse whipped

Offline Kevin

« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2008, 12:29:26 pm »
That pipe looks to be ceramic, glazed looking on top of the bowl, a clever potter's hand at work quite possibly. If Ward Churchhill can be properly slammed for his Indian quackery, this person needs an extra dose of the same and I'm sure many an activist has been taking action on this matter as we speak. An appropriate confrontation will never land anyone in the clink. If the cops are called and there has been no violence, someone will be told to leave and that usually is the person(s) trying to protect the culture being exploited. We all know that already. to fight or not is dependent on the moment but jerking a pipe away from some fake will get you arrested and released after booking with no jail time but probation and a fine for disorderly. I've got enough in my wallet to take such a hit with no immediate dependents to worry about but Im not there.

Offline shoshone1

« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2008, 02:02:11 pm »
Is this women still teaching at the university ?