Author Topic: Soquili Band of First Nation Cherokees  (Read 31196 times)

Offline educatedindian

• Administrator
Re: Soquili Band of First Nation Cherokees
« Reply #30 on: April 19, 2006, 07:23:12 pm »
Deb,

"(kinda makes you wonder if there is some connection between the Hebrews and Cherokees, huh?)"

Actually it makes me wonder what other Nuage lies he's been spreading that you've fallen for. The only groups claiming Cherokee are Jews are another PODIA outfit who don't know any better. Cherokee historians are the ones that have debunked the claim that Cherokees are Jews, just as it's been Cherokees who've repeatedly pointed out to me they don't have medicine wheels.

(Some of the Scots who came into early contact with and intermarried with Cherokees likely were Jews hiding their heritage.)

Like Storm pointed out, you don't know the most basic things. Apaches and Navajos don't have medicine wheels, and didn't use tobacco in ceremony until after the start of reservation days. (Not too easy to gorw in the deep desert.) That's over a quarter of all NDNs in the country that don't practice what you claim "all" NDNs practice.

It's truly amazing to me how arrogant you are, almost as arrogant as Copeland is.

It's incredibly obvious he's neither a medicine man nor elder. He is without humility or basic knowledge, substituting a bad temper and high handedness instead. He enourages these traits in his naive followers.

Marianne,
Are you kidding? You seriously think the protection of traditions from obvious frauds is not important?

I do agree with you about one thing. Protecting sacred sites is important. Such sites should not fall into the hands of frauds like Copeland.

No idea why you'd think telling us you were in business would impress us. This isn't Rush Limbaugh, where people fall all over you for bowing down to the "free market." Esp since you don't know the laws about libel or slander, and (like Deb and Copeland) didn't bother to even read what we said. Empty threats to sue just amuses us.

I can't help notice that you ask us to speak with those we ask questions about, but Copeland refuses to come here. Instead he sends others here to do his bidding and go on the offensive (another common tactics of frauds.)

His latest angry broadside on the Soquili site is another good example. He refuses to answer to most of our questions, though he did admit they are no "band" (even while Deb claimed that was "insulting.") He lists *himself* as "elder" on his incorporation forms, but no true elder would label themselves that.

I found his "investigation" of me pretty amusing. Seems he didn't even know Ruidoso is not on the Mescalero rez, it's an overpriced tourist trap nearby. And he didn't even bother to read what I've said about myself a number of times, that I live in and grew up in Texas.

Offline JosephSWM

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #31 on: April 20, 2006, 05:35:27 pm »
Well, time to put my two cents worth in, and thats about all. You don't have to be a  Cherokee to be born and raised in Qualla. And even if you are and are enrolled you can still be sellouts like the Garretts who mix and match this ndn and that ndn tradition to meet the needs of thier publisher.

There are very few folks who were really raised to continue the 'old ways'. Hey I was brought up with old ways but that does not make me a teacher/spiritual elder/medicine man, etc. Down in Qualla about the only one I know of alive that really knows the old ways is Walker Calhoun, and from I have been told he does not want to pass them on to anyone. But I could be wrong.

Anyway, I figure I would  add a few more words. Way too many to read already.

Joseph
« Last Edit: January 01, 1970, 12:00:00 am by JosephSWM »

Offline educatedindian

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: May 28, 2006, 06:53:26 pm »
Seems Ed Copeland can't resist coming after us yet again. He has a new message about us filled with raging contradictions.

"Plain Talk
What Soquili is All About – and Isn’t
If it hadn’t come up, I wouldn’t feel compelled to write this page."

Actually this had died down many weeks ago, but you chose to bring it up again. So that tells us you've been facing questions because of our looking into you.

"For what it’s worth, it would appear to me that anyone with a formal education certified with the degree of PhD, (field notwithstanding), would be able to comprehend the content of this website and understand it for what it is. Yet, graduate degrees bespeak nothing of ? “common sense???, or for an intelligent mind made blind and deaf by its emersion in a hate-world formed of well-confirmed racial biases"

For what it's worth, you'd think the degree Ed Copeland has would enable him to quit using Nuagespeak and tactics to substitute for thinking. He's making a fool out of himself yet again by accusing mixedblood traditionalists of being "racist" against a mixedblood Nuager like himself.

"and an expert level non-knowledge of any aboriginal culture other than, maybe, his own. It is a very ugly Paradigm you have, Doctor, built upon very thin ice, junk science, inner conflicts,"

;D
Does anyone know what the heck he's talking about? I doubt he does either.

"and blatantly obvious contradictions in your own life"

? :-?

"made manifest in your abject failure to live by the very rules you wish to lay down for others."

:-?

"But, then again, what can one really expect of self-styled and self-appointed demagogic judges who purport to “know it ALL???—while actually living, or having lived, none of it?"

Is he talking about himself? This is all childish insults from an alleged (excuse me-Self Appointed) "elder".

"That out of the way,"

Whatever "that" was...

"Let me state here, as clearly as my degree of knowledge of the English language, and level of my education, (PhD (H),CR) will allow"

OK, so you *were* describing yourself above... ;D

"Soquili Band is NOT a “Tribe???. We have stated that clearly and never stated otherwise."

Contradicted by your own website and words. It took quite a bit of time for you to admit that to us.

"Membership in Soquili Band is free of charge.
Members who ask to be re-educated regards Cherokee life, beliefs, symbolism, protocols, and language are given the opportunity and taught --- free of charge."

Interesting...you defended before your alleged "right" to charge.

"Members who wish to participate in ceremonies and ceremonials, such as Busk, are invited to do so—free of charge
Members wishing to learn traditional Crafts, Dance, Agriculture, Husbandry, and Gathering, are invited to do so, as well---free of charge."

See above.
 ?
"That should explain to any person on Earth, what we are about. Al, if you want to try and twist or spin the above to your own ends, then you will do so at the risk of your own Integrity."

My integrity is intact. Yours, you never had, except for among some PODIAs who didn't know better.

"We will not back down from this position at your behest or that of anyone else."

You already have on some things.

"Now, for what we are NOT.
We are not “Shamans???, and never made that claim. Again, we are not a Tribe, and never made that claim."

Again, see above.

"We are not Lakota, and do not proffer “Lakota Ways??? or those of any of the Great Plains Peoples—(collectively, A-ni Ya-ni-sa)."

Contradicted by your own words elsewhere on your site.

"We do not take money or charge fees for either ceremony or cultural instruction"

Again, you defended your "right" to do so.

"within our own cultural group and society."

And here's the fine distinction they make. That implies Outsiders ARE charged.

Ironically, that means you are charging based on RACE, even while you accuse critics of "racism".

"We do not and will not charge money for Ceremony--and never have. This is the real context of the Tribal Elders when speaking of that, and, no, nobody takes money for teaching or ceremony inside their own Tribe , Nation, or Culture.
We do not deal in Crystal Twinkie subject matter, or any other type of “Woo-woo???.

Nope, none of that talk of "bed plates of matter" is twinkie. Sure ;D

"We deal in Realities, those of our Culture, Beliefs, and Life-ways. They ARE Reality as far as we are concerned. They are, in fact, how I live and what I live by, every day."

Reality for you is a "bed plates of matter"? Reality for you is alleged beings that no other Cherokee has ever heard of?

"I do not make my living by charging for Cultural Teaching and doing ceremony for people. I make my living in the Horse Business and by selling artwork. What I do regards cultural activities is Service to humanity and my People. It is transpersonal, and a matter between myself and Unequa; having nothing to do with any other party, mammon,"

Someone's been reading their Christian tradition.

"or Al Carroll. In pursuing that, I am honoring a commitment I made many years before Al was born;"

Then you made that commitment very early in life. I think there's maybe a dozen years age difference between us.

"in a place and among a People he has no familiarity with historically or prehistorically, nor is, nor can be, the judge of."

"Familiarity prehistorically"? ? ;D
Right, you who claim beings that no Cherokee has ever heard of.            

"What we are doing here is two-fold. We are trying to preserve and maintain a Sacred Site that was known all over the East Coast of the US, and that is in grave danger of being destroyed by Development. Secondly, we are helping Lost Birds return to their Culture."

No one's arguing with that, but with the very questionable Nuage METHODS and lies you tell to allegedly accomplish that.

"By and large, Lost Birds did NOT voluntarily give up their Identity or their Cultural Heritage; rather, the crowbars of Western Mind-set, Mandated Assimilation, Denial of Constitutional Rights, Discrimination, Indoctrination, and purposeful Oppression and Suppression tore it away from them. This has nothing whatever to do with the “nuage???

Right, it's the smokescreen for the Nuage nonsense you teach.

"–actually “Gnuage???—Crystal Twinkies, Space Buddies, UFOlogy, Science Fiction, “The Force???, Metaphysical Flakes, Tea Ladies, or Al Carroll. But, we do thank you Al, as, at least now, the Crystal Twinkies will stay off my butt and out of the way."

Are you kidding? Nuage flakes are all you have, and all you are. Hapy to LIE in your "bed plates of matter" thinking it's somehow Cherokee.