Author Topic: Greetings  (Read 3408 times)

Offline Ash

Greetings
« on: August 11, 2018, 04:13:10 am »
Thank you for accepting me on this Website. I am from Appalachia and the Eastern part of Kentucky. My father began to research his family history and my mother's. My mother's family is a bit complicated as there are many step-relatives and arranged marriages among third and fourth cousins. Not uncommon in Appalachia or in European families. My mother's paternal 8th great-grandmother and her maternal 12th great-grandmother were Cherokee. The rest my maternal kith and kin were mostly Welsh with some Irish and Scottish lineage. My father's folks are mostly French Huguenots and English. Most of the traditions I was raised with were handed down through generations as the families and/or incorporated into family traditions as my ancestors moved through the mountains and on up the Appalachians. My maternal grandmother's father came to this country as a small boy from Wales and like his father, made his way to the coal mines. I have been interested in the traditions that were passed to me from my parents and their parents. I am constantly search, learning and asking.