Author Topic: Herbalist Matthew Wood & Native American Herbalism  (Read 4579 times)

Offline Sparks

Herbalist Matthew Wood & Native American Herbalism
« on: October 17, 2017, 02:40:59 am »
Native People's Video Project
Helping to preserve Native People's healing and herbal knowledge.
David LaLuzerne
Middleton, United States

HerbTV Native Peoples Video Project

Hello, I'm Dave LaLuzerne, creator of HerbTV. I'm an herbalist and pharmacist. For the past 10 years I have been using video to create an archive of North American herbalism. Herbalist Matthew Wood taught me about the vast contribution of Native Americans to our herbal knowledge. He inspired me to begin HerbTV's Native People's Video Project. To date I have produced videos about Native American healing with Victoria Fortner (Shawnee) and Patrisia Gonzales (Kickapoo, Comanche and Macehaul). And videos about Bear medicine, Elk medicine, Rabbit medicine, and Snakeroots with Matthew (student of Tis Mal Crow, Muskogee)

Lots of names and links in there, I will take a closer look at all of them, time permitting.

Introduction to Native American Herbalism
HerbTV
Published June 4, 2014
In this video Matthew Wood discusses some general concepts of Native American herbalism and then talks about the many snake roots used by Indians. This is the first in a series about spirit animals and their plant medicines.

My bolding in above quotes. I have started looking at Matthew Wood's videos pertaining to Native American Herbalism. Here are some links. I'll be back with my impressions:

Introduction to Native American Herbalism
In this video Matthew Wood discusses some general concepts of Native American herbalism and then talks about the many snake roots used by Indians. This is the first in a series about spirit animals and their plant medicines.

Bear medicine with Matthew Wood
Herbalist Matthew Wood discusses Native American Bear medicine. Herbs include angelica, balsam root, spikenard, sunflower, osha and burdock.

Elk medicine with Matthew Wood
In this video, Matthew Wood discusses the Native American knowledge of elk medicine. Herbs covered are sumac, bergamot, and blue vervain.

Rabbit Medicine with Matthew Wood
Herbalist Matthew Wood explains Native American practice of Rabbit medicine. Herbs include rabbit tobacco (sweet everlasting), wild yam, bittersweet vine, club moss, horsetail and nettles.

Offline Sparks

Re: Herbalist Matthew Wood & Native American Herbalism
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2017, 02:49:46 am »
Herbalist Matthew Wood […] (student of Tis Mal Crow, Muskogee)

There is a thread in here about "Tis Mal Crow" (who was not a Muskogee):
http://www.newagefraud.org/smf/index.php?topic=101.0
(Arne Lynn Johanson AKA Tis Mal Crow)

Offline Jkewageshig

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2017, 03:39:57 am »
Victoria Fortner is a fraud. Oh geez. I listened to about 5 mins of her herbtv YouTube video. That about says it all, but there is also this, sickening that she was given a diversity award by the American Herbalists Guild, but the research into who she is has already been done.

http://ancestorstealing.blogspot.ca/2015/11/victoria-fortner-medicine-woman.html?m=1

"On October 11. 2014, Victoria passed away, you would think that her story of lies would end there, but it hasn't.

October 2015 Victoria was given an award in Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion  by the American Herbalist Guild and the only positive thing I can think of about giving Fortner this award is that in the public release it does not say she is Shawnee. But multi culture she was not.

Victoria had volunteered in the prison system in Missouri system as a "spiritual adviser" for the Native American inmates. Do not let the word "volunteer" fool you, because she could apply and receive federal grant money for her activities claiming to be Indian when in fact she is not.

Victoria's obituary  states she was a participant in "sundance" and "star dance". She was a "cerenonial leader and teacher" Shawnee are NOT of the Sundance, Shawnee women are NOT ceremonial leaders, and if anyone was "taught" by her, you were taken in by a scam.

Who was Victoria's family? Well, that is something she would not mention while she was living, but in her obituary, her mother, and maternal grandparents are listed, and that is all I needed. Her father is not listed but I found him...

Victoria Gene Fortner was born in Missouri, January 15, 1954 to Jerald Ashford Fortner and Nancy Ruth Hoy.

Jerald was the son of Clarence Fortner and Ethel Thoroughman, here is the 1940 US Federal Census

Name   Ashford Fortner
Event Type   Census
Event Date   1940
Event Place   Normandy Township, St. Louis, St. Louis, Missouri, United States
Gender   Male
Age   36
Marital Status   Married
Race (Original)   White
Race   White
Relationship to Head of Household (Original)   Head
Relationship to Head of Household   Head
Birthplace   Tennessee
Birth Year (Estimated)   1904

Name   Ethel Fortner
Event Type   Census
Event Date   1940
Gender   Female
Age   34
Marital Status   Married
Race (Original)   White
Race   White
Relationship to Head of Household (Original)   Wife
Relationship to Head of Household   Wife
Birthplace   Missouri
 Birth Year (Estimated) 1906

Name   Gerald Fortner
Event Type   Census
Event Date   1940
Gender   Male
Age   8
Marital Status   Single
Race (Original)   White
Race   White
Relationship to Head of Household (Original)   Son
Relationship to Head of Household   Son
Birthplace   Missouri
Birth Year (Estimated)   1932

Name   Clarence Fortner
Event Type   Census
Event Date   1940
Gender   Male
Age   59
Marital Status   Divorced
Race (Original)   White
Race   White
Relationship to Head of Household (Original)   Father
Relationship to Head of Household   Father
Birthplace   Tennessee
Birth Year (Estimated)   1881

It was good to see that Jerald's father, Clarence, was living with the family in 1940. He was born in Tennessee. I have traced this family back to the 1700's in Tennessee, North Carolina with no Shawnee ancestors. Not a one. In fact the name of Ashford comes from Clarence's wife, her maiden name was Ashford, and she named her son after her surname, her first name was Velma, she was born in Tennessee, as were her parents, Velma's mother's maiden name was Greenway. Here is a picture of that family.

Clarence signed up for the WWI Draft

On her Hoy side of the family, it too shows no Indian heritage. The obituary for Victoria states her grandparents were Harry and Ruth Hoy.

The 1940 US Federal Census for Harry, Ruth and Nancy. Interesting, their birth place is Pennsylvania.

Name   Harry H Hoy
Event Type   Census
Event Date   1940
Event Place   Ward 1, Steelton, Steelton Borough, Dauphin, Pennsylvania, United States
Gender   Male
Age   31
Marital Status   Married
Race (Original)   White
Race   White
Relationship to Head of Household (Original)   Head
Relationship to Head of Household   Head
Birthplace   Pennsylvania
Birth Year (Estimated)   1909

Name   Ruth L Hoy
Event Type   Census
Event Date   1940
Event Place   Ward 1, Steelton, Steelton Borough, Dauphin, Pennsylvania, United States
Gender   Female
Age   31
Marital Status   Married
Race (Original)   White
Race   White
Relationship to Head of Household (Original)   Wife
Relationship to Head of Household   Wife
Birth Year (Estimated)   1909

Name   Nancy R Hoy
Event Type   Census
Event Date   1940
Gender   Female
Age   5
Marital Status   Single
Race (Original)   White
Race   White
Relationship to Head of Household (Original)   Daughter
Relationship to Head of Household   Daughter
Birth Year (Estimated)   1935

Harry H Hoy middle name is Houck, his mother was Christina Houck, She is the woman on the far right of this photo, all the women in the photo are sisters.

The family of Christina is the Meffert, and they trace into Germany. The Hoy/Houck families are all traced back to the 1700's once they arrived from their home countries.

Christina's father, Isaac Houck and mother Sarah Meffert.

Isaac Houck and Sarah death card.

This family was always in Pennsylvania until Harry Houck Hoy moved to Missouri with his wife which did not take place until after the birth of Nancy Ruth Hoy, mother of Victoria.

I am not going to "respect" Victoria for her profits upon her lies. I find it interesting that her sister,
Christine Heidenreich, does not claim to be Shawnee, at least, not in public. Does she know her sister was a scammer? I doubt we will ever hear from her.

Now comes. perhaps, the biggest disappointment, a issue that was not made public while Victoria Gene Fortner was living... that is, the National Museum of the American Indian to remove ALL work made by Victoria Fortner which is displayed as Native made. Victoria is not Shawnee, and of all places to promote a fake, this is disgraceful! It is disrespectful to all Indian artists to promote this woman on her fraudulent claims. There are way too many true Native artists who are far more deserving to be in NMAI.

Victoria broke the law time and time again by claiming to be a Shawnee Native America Artist. Even the many videos of her on youtube she claims to be a Shawnee artist. In her youtube video she displays more than just her corn husk dolls, her misrepresentation is here.

At this point in my life, my dream job would be at NMAI to clean out the fakes that have gotten their foot hold within a history that is not theirs."

Offline Jkewageshig

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2017, 04:20:30 am »
Patrisia Gonzales story: She works in academia, mostly in the southern states. You can read more about her through this link, some of it copied below. It is late and I am done my research for tonight. I don't feel qualified to evaluate this information much further, but perhaps someone else on the forum can help with understanding? One more bit of info below this link and quote.

https://mas.arizona.edu/user/patrisia-gonzales

"As the granddaughter of  Kickapoo, Comanche and Macehual peoples who migrated throughout the present-day United States and Mexico, Patrisia Gonzales specializes in Indigenous ways of knowing and Indigenous medicine. She obtained her Ph.D. in Mass Communications from the Department of Life Sciences Communication at the University of Wisconsin - Madison. Her works have been cited in various anthologies and scholarly endeavors. She received various human rights awards for the nationally syndicated Column of the Americas, her early journalistic reportage and for her book The Mud People (Chusma 2003). She was a Distinguished Community Scholar at UCLA's César E. Chávez Department of Chicana and Chicano Studies and Regent’s Scholar at the University of California, San Diego."

Both Patrisia and Victoria have videos with herbtv. Both begin with a song sung by Victoria which she claims is an eagle song given to her. (To paraphrase: It's my song I can use it however I want). Victoria was given an award by the AHG and Patrisia has been a speaker at an AHG event. I will post links to both herbtv videos below as well as one about Patrisia's speaking engagement.

https://www.americanherbalistsguild.com/symposium/keynote-presenter-patrisia-gonzales

Victoria Fortner HerbTV video:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=syoFNOnHr4g

Patrisia Gonzales HerbTV video
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3LSF2bNFIZw

Offline Jkewageshig

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2017, 04:24:44 pm »
So, I just found out from a friend that the AHG has now named their diversity award after Fortner. So, I think an open letter to the AHG detailing her fraud and asking (demanding?) that they change the name of the award and issue a public apology and statement distancing themselves from the misrepresentation would be in order. I can draft up a letter. Unless someone else would like to? Would others be willing to sign?

Victoria Fortner has passed away, but they still have an award named after her. Are there any Shawnee on this board? The community I live in, Stoney Point, is part Shawnee. Tecumseh's nephews - Oshawanoo and Wapagance, his sister's sons - settled here in Kettle Point and Stoney Point after the war of 1812. Although this is common knowledge on the rez, most ppl identify as Ojibwe and/or Pottawatami.

I wish I knew about this a few years ago when the question was put out on the AHG discussion group for an example of CA amongst herbalists. Actually, this conversation was probably happening as they were presenting her with the award. SMDH. I would have brought it up then. AHG also has a diversity committee..... but I have heard there are major problems with it (clearly, lol!)

Offline Jkewageshig

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2017, 03:09:18 pm »
Just an update here. The research posted above about Victoria Fortner was forwarded to the America. Herbalist Guild. The late Victoria Fornter was a herbalist who made false claims to being Shawnee. She was given an award by the AHG for work in “diversity” and the after the award was given in her name. Now that the truth about Fortner’s identity as white and not native has been brought to the attention of the AHG (thanks to research posted above by a Shawnee geneologist and historian) In response to this information, the AHG haS issued an apology the the Shawnee Tribe and will change the name of the award.

https://www.americanherbalistsguild.com/open-letter-herbalist-community-ahg

Offline Diana

• I Love YaBB 2!
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2017, 04:13:38 pm »
Wow! Kudos to the American Herbalist Guild. This is a good start on cultural appropriation. Hopefully this will discourage that kind of behavior in the future.