Author Topic: Midewiigan website  (Read 9703 times)

Offline Jkewageshig

Re: Midewiigan website
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2017, 02:26:38 am »
OK, great. Thanks for all of that. That is awesome. Yes I am familiar with most of these herbalists, including Matthew Wood and all of his various claims of being trained by Native Americans. I remember looking up the info about Tis Mal Crow that you referenced in the next thread, when I was trying to validated or refute Wood's claims.

All of the people that are featured on HerbTV are "big time" herbalists, many almost revered and well respected within the community (not by me). There have been many, many conversations online about appropriation amongst herbalists and obviously, they all claim that appropriation does not happen by herbalists.

But this website, this Midewigaan (sorry for the typo) kinda flies in the face of claiming that there is no appropriation. Especially the name of the web page which means Midewin Lodge. So I am quite confident in feeling that this is messed up what is being done. These settlers misrepresenting themselves as those who are carrying on Native American traditions. And they don't even know what they are talking about. I have shared this website with friends who are Mide. They will be taking a look and getting back to me.

Sharing this website, tagging the herbalists in an FB post would bring the issue of appropriation into sharp focus and the herbalists who have been filmed and presented in HerbTV, I think, should issue an apology for this gross misrepresentation of themselves as Mide.

I think I stated before that I have maintained friendships with herbalists on FB to listen in and to be able to take on cultural appropriation. I am but one voice and one that does not hold much weight with (most) of these people because I have spoken about appropriation so much already. But, I can and will do so again if it would be helpful. I think I am even FB friends with Matthew Wood.

As an aside. I am also on several FB groups with a number of these people. Wood tinctures lizards that cats kill to treat Lyme disease.

Offline Jkewageshig

« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2017, 12:09:23 pm »
An update here. I did post on Facebook about the Midewigaan website and a few things have transpired since then.

Most significantly the website has been taken down.

Jim Mcdonald, who has been mentioned above was tagged in the post and he took steps to address the issue immediately. We have also spoken to one another about it and I hope that progress in understanding appropriation and fraudulent behavior is starting to be made. But still so much more to be done.

Jim had gotten on the phone with Weebly and figured out how to file a complaint about the site and misrepresentations. Jim also shared the information about how to do this and soon after the Midewigaan site was removed.

What also came out - and another herbalist was able to find this information - is that David LaLuzerne did not host the Midewigaan site. It was created by someone named Natalia DeLeon. Others have made attempts to contact her and we are waiting to hear back what she might have to say, if anything. No one who was following the issue amongst herbalists seemed to know who she is, though a sentiment was expressed that she must be somewhat familiar with the herb scene as she had some sense of what to post, etc.

Also what came out of this was discussion of Fortner's fraud. A few of us are working with a Shawnee historian and genealogist to present the research and information about Fortner to the American Herbalists Guild. This Shawnee woman has been active on this board in the past, exposing Frauds.

So, that is an update as of now.

Offline Jkewageshig

« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2017, 12:50:41 pm »
I should also add that the FB post may well have brought some of those engaged in it over to this Forum, including Jim.

He has read over this thread and expressed to me that he was disappointed that I started that he viewed me unfavorably and asking if that statement could be changed.

But, comments cannot be edited in here for the purpose of holding people accountable for what they say. And so I am acknowledging that I have found out that Jim does not feel this way. I also encouraged him to join the forum and have a read around. This forum has been invaluable to me to deepen my understanding of appropriation and I think that other herbalists should take the initiative to educate ourselves as well.

Finally, I think it is important to stress that anyone who does join the forum, you must read certain flagged threads/discussions and you must introduce yourself before you contribute.