Author Topic: Shamanism & Curanderismo with Paloma Cervantes (California)  (Read 3430 times)

Offline Sparks

I got curious about whose "traditional ceremonial songs are taught here, with such a secretive invitation:

Come and learn TRADITIONAL CEREMONIAL SONGS

Tuesday, March 15, 2016 — 6:00 PM to 8:00 PM

This location is shown only to members

You are invited to come and learn TRADITIONAL CEREMONIAL SONGS

We have the honor to have my dearest spiritual sister coming to share her beautiful voice and teach us the Traditional Ceremonial Songs that are use in Spiritual Ceremonies and for bringing Spiritual Healing.

When: Tuesday, March 15, 2016 — Time: 6 to 8 pm. Arrive earlier for smudging and prayer

How to dress: If you are a woman please wear a long skirt (any color) or curanderismo dress

What to bring: Lots of respect and a drum, clapping stick or rattle if you have one. Tobacco or sage offering if you know how to do it, if not, bring flowers

What NOT to bring: Out of respect for these ancient healing and ceremonial songs that we are going to share PLEASE NO PHOTOS or RECORDINGS. Phones are not allow that day. Leave your phone in your car

REMEMBER: This is a social outing. Your RSVP holds harmless this group, its organizers and event hosts if any mishap should occur during this event. The information and activities of this group are strictly for educational use and do not imply or express any health benefit. They are of historical, cultural, folkloric and traditional value. Shamanism & Curanderismo Central Valley Area group cannot proclaim the effectiveness of the information and activities of the group, nor are they responsible for the use that the “practitioner” gives it.

Paloma C. +2
ORGANIZER
EVENT HOST
Mexican Shaman or Curandera born and raised into the tradition. Working as a Curandera since 1987. She writes and teaches about Shamanism, Curanderismo, Spiritual Herbalism and Ancient Healing Traditions. Visit her website www.palomacervantes.com

There is also a Facebook event: https://www.facebook.com/events/1784675175087767/

Then a Facebook page with strict warnings at the bottom of the info page:

PAGE INFO

Short Description
Have you heard “There is nothing new under the sun”? That may be true, but not for me. There are so many things that are there to be “re-discover”.

Long Description
Welcome. You don't need to know anything; you just need to have an open heart to enjoy this page. We share here what we find interesting, what works for us, what doesn't work for us, our mistakes and how can we apply all this knowledge to everyday life.

This page is about the “Spiritual Path”. Which spiritual path? “ANY”….. because SPIRITUALITY IS YOUR OWN PATH. Each person follows their own spiritual path. Spirituality is not at religion, IT IS WHAT YOU CARRY INSIDE YOUR SOUL.

So from the information that we share here, please take what your heart feels is good for you. Follow your intuition and live life from a powerful, happy, loving and peaceful position.

We have 3 webpages that you can visit:

Paloma Cervantes' Webpage. This is about general spirit information for everyone (www.palomacervantes.com)

Shamans & Curanderos webpage focuses in practices, ceremonies, spiritual tools and problems that a practitioner faces (www.curanderismo.net).

Curandero Products is our store where you can find items, recipes, tutoring and services related to spiritual practices (www.curanderoproducts.com).

General Information
LEGAL NOTICE: It is illegal and unlawful for anyone to post any libelous, untrue, or misleading statement either on a website, social media site, or anywhere on the web either about me, Paloma Cervantes, my workshops, my products or my company. Under California Civil Code, anyone who writes or comments any derogatory, untrue, or false statement is guilty of libel and is liable for any and all damages as a result of those false/misleading statements.

Website
http://www.palomacervantes.com/

(So beware, anyone who comments here …)

Above, Paloma Cervantes claims to be a "Mexican Shaman or Curandera born and raised into the tradition." In her longer bio this is put a little bit different (my emphasis):

Meet Paloma
I do not like to talk about myself, but I imagine you’re curious to know ‘who is Paloma?’ The Spiritual Path was not “my calling”. My mother pushed me in this direction. “You’re going to Thursday’s meditation or else.”

From my mother I learned all sorts of spiritual, healing and metaphysical modalities that you can imagine. I was her guinea pig, her experiment and her companion in all her spiritual adventures.

After a time, the Mayan Indians of my town in Quintana Roo, México, saw in me a potential I did not know I had. I was “forced” to break some sort of bad omen in an Indian from my town. I had no idea what to do but I was afraid for my safety. What if I couldn’t do anything? What are the Indians going to do with me? If you want to see the
 detail story please check my video “How to choose your spiritual path?” To my surprise the ritual was successful. I am so grateful for that. Now you know how it all began.

In 2013 I finally obtained permission to share the teachings learned from my mentor, a Mexican Shaman or Curandero trained in the traditional way, in order to keep alive the tradition. In 2014 he retired leaving me in charge of the practice and classes.

The Mexican Shamans or Curanderos do not call themselves in this way. They are called “People of Wisdom” in their native language. In Spanish and now in other languages the words Mexican Shaman or Curandero are the most used. One becomes a “Person of Wisdom” or Curandero after years of training and accumulating experiences. At some point in the training the teacher decides when the student is ready to perform the work.

I have many years of being the assistant, helper, apprentice and substitute of my mentor. Although when I compare myself to him; I do not consider myself a Curandera, a Mexican Shaman or a “Person of Wisdom” the people around me, call me “La Curandera”. In 2014 my mentor decided to dedicate his spiritual practice only for himself, he gave me the honor and responsibility to carry on his mission, to keep alive our tradition. My learning continues and will do so forever. My mentor says that life is an endless lesson and it is up to us if we want to learn or not.

To merge the knowledge of the past with modern life is what I call Curanderismo or Modern Curanderismo.... And why not? We can combine the best of both worlds. That is my passion. I would like to share how I learned to combine both worlds. If I am sick I will take my medication plus I will have a healing ceremony. In fact, we should combine everything that is helpful and don’t label it or judge it....just live it and enjoy it. Like it was done in ancient times.

So, this is me, “The one who walks among worlds” and that is one of the nicknames that my mentor gave me. He says that I walk in the ancient, modern and spirit world and at the same time I walk in this reality.

I do not live in Mexico anymore. Beautiful California is my home.

So here is a Mexican (?) woman with some discrepancies in the different versions of her biography and with an anonymous mentor. Is the mentor as fictitious as Castaneda's Don Juan? I cannot help wondering …

onlytruthremains

Re: Shamanism & Curanderismo with Paloma Cervantes (California)
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2016, 06:06:40 pm »
I am also familiar with Paloma. I have seen her Meetup groups listed in the LA Area.

She hosts Shamanism and Curanderismo meetups in the Bay Area, Central Valley of CA, and the LA area.

From the LA Area Meetup Group: "This group is about the “Spiritual Path”. Which spiritual path? “ANY”….. because SPIRITUALITY IS YOUR OWN PATH. Each person follows their own spiritual path. Spirituality is not at religion, IT IS WHAT YOU CARRY INSIDE YOUR SOUL."

http://www.meetup.com/Shamanism-Curanderismo-Los-Angeles-Area/

Here is something very curious. At the bottom of the description page you find this:

LEGAL NOTICE:  It is illegal and unlawful for anyone to post any libelous, untrue, or misleading statement either on a website, social media site, or anywhere on the web either about me, my workshops, my products or my company.  Under California Civil Code, anyone who writes or comments any derogatory, untrue, or false statement is guilty of libel and is liable for any and all damages as a result of those false/misleading statements.

Certainly doesn't sound paranoid or defensive at all...

onlytruthremains

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2016, 06:13:04 pm »
She also has a YouTube page: https://www.youtube.com/user/PalomaCervantes

on both YouTube and her website, she claims:

"In 2013 Paloma finally obtained permission to share the teachings learned from her mentor, a Mexican Shaman or Curandero trained in the traditional way, in order to keep alive the tradition. In 2014 her mentor retired leaving her in charge of the practice and classes. "

the

onlytruthremains

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2016, 06:14:58 pm »
 "her mentor, a Mexican Shaman or Curandero trained in the traditional way"

the question is which Shaman trained her? in what "traditional way"?

Both statements could not be more purposely vague.