Author Topic: Renee R. Bierbaum  (Read 16425 times)

Offline Smart Mule

• Administrator
Re: Renee R. Bierbaum
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2015, 06:54:27 pm »
Sal, check your messages.

Offline White Horse

« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2015, 06:55:19 pm »
I do hope coming away from this one sided article that people will see that I am serious about protecting and preserving American Indian culture, traditions and ways of life.  Sal
Living that life, some consider a Myth!

Offline Diana

• I Love YaBB 2!
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2015, 07:11:53 pm »
@ White Horse, sorry I every prayed for a comment section. I totally forgot how racist a comment section can be, especially where it concerns Indians. I'm not going to post on that Libertarian/right wing piece of crap magazine, there's too many death threats for me. Here's one by someone named R C Dean

R C Dean|12.21.15 @ 12:22PM|# It is my right as an Indian to preserve and protect our culture," he says.
Well, if we are all preserving our culture, I might remind Mr. Serbin that my culture has a long tradition of killing Indians who try to stop us from doing what we want. Jus' sayin', is all. log in or register to reply

https://reason.com/blog/2015/12/21/how-cultural-appropriation-and-zoning-la

And as it turns out, a certain member of the public—a Native American activist who militantly believes Bierbaum is appropriating his culture—is determined to stop her from realizing her vision.

Sal Serbin is a member of the Sioux nation and an activist with the American Indian Movement in Florida. He doesn’t object to the yoga portion of Bierbaum’s class—yoga has South-Asian Indian origins, not Native American origins. But Bierbaum intended to incorporate a sweat lodge into her routine, and that aspect of her class represents a pilfering of Serbin’s sacred religious beliefs, he tells Reason.

"It is my right as an Indian to preserve and protect our culture," he says.

Serbin, who alerted county officials to the illegality of Bierbaum’s practice in the first place, says he will use every means at his disposal to prevent her from appropriating his culture.

"The law helped me in this case and I took advantage of that," he says.

Offline White Horse

« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2015, 07:33:08 pm »
Reason blog does have a comment section, if anyone is interested.  Far right from facebook shares.

Offline White Horse

« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2015, 08:28:34 pm »
Here is a copy of the comment I left attached to the article.  Sal

AIM-FLA 1 point a minute ago
Robby Soave and Reason blog/magazine, I am Sal Serbin an Assiniboine/Sioux from the Fort Peck Reservation and Executive Director of the American Indian Movement - Florida. I was recently interviewed and one of the subjects in an article about a Non-American Indian exploiting American Indian Traditions for a profit. I offered to meet with Ms. Bierbaum and quietly work out a resolution to the Native American Sweat Lodge ceremony that had a $100 amount attached for participation, but Ms. Bierbaum refused to meet. I would have requested that Ms. Bierbaum to not hold the Sweat Lodge Ceremony and explain in detail why it is wrong for her to do the Ceremony. I was going to offer the alternative that Ms. Bierbaum remove "Native American" from the advertisement and simply hold a Sweat Lodge Ceremony. Sweat Lodge Ceremonies are not specific to the American Indian culture but when you attach "Native American" to the event. Ms. Bierbaum was essentially selling a Native American Sweat Lodge Ceremony. Ms. Bierbaum NEVER stated or offered to change the event to "mindful stretching." I did mention to Mr. Soave that as an American Indian, I had every right to preserve and protect my culture and traditions, and I am a "militant" for this action, something that Mr. Soave doesn't seem to grasp? Mr. Soave also now calls when I protest an event it is heckling. Mr. Soave has basically allowed Ms. Bierbaum to be a victim, a Non-American Indian that was attempting to exploit American Indian traditions for money. I will always fight to preserve and protect American Indian culture and traditions from non American Indians that wake up one day and decide they have the right to Sell our traditions. Well they do NOT! Ms. Bierbaum was born into her own culture with its own traditions, why doesn't Ms. Bierbaum exploit/sell her own cultures traditions? Below I included Ms. Bierbaums advertisement that I provided to Mr. Soave that clearly shows Ms. Bierbaum is Selling an Native American Sweat Lodge Ceremony.
Women’s Yoga & Sweat Lodge Retreat
Cost: $75 if ticket is purchased before 12/11/15, $100 thereafter. Retreat Facilitators - Renee Ravencraft Bierbaum - Certified Yoga Instructor - RYT-500
Nikki Heimann - Certified Yoga Instructor - RYT-200; Paddle Board Yoga Instructor
Hailey Neyland - Assistant, Raven's Nest Yoga
Donella Favorite - Women's Sweat Lodge Leader
Ladies, please join us for this unforgettable retreat! We will begin our time together building a traditional Native American Sweat Lodge, followed by a gentle, restorative yoga session. We will then share a delicious light meal before moving to our craft area to make our own, personalized malas. When our time of creative expression is over, we will spend some time journaling, writing out all of the things from 2015 we do not wish to bring into 2016 with us and then we will perform a releasing ritual to let go of these things and welcome the new into our lives through intention setting. As the day draws to a close and twilight covers the land, each will have some time to herself with her mala for prayers and meditations before we begin our Native American Sweat Lodge Ceremony. Our sweat will be presided over by Donella Favorite. Donella has spent 11 years in apprentice with Grey Ghosthawk, Medicine Man, Lodge Leader, teacher and healer who studied under Eaglebear, student of Sun Bear. Donella has been given her rights to pour and lead the women’s lodge and I am truly honored to have her perform this sacred, healing ceremony for all of you. Space is limited to 16 attendees so early registration is encouraged!

Offline Defend the Sacred

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2015, 09:57:50 pm »
Sweat Lodge Ceremonies are not specific to the American Indian culture

Actually, sweat lodge ceremonies  are specific to Native American and First Nations cultures.

Nordic cultures and those influenced by them (like the coastal Gaelic areas of Ireland and Scotland) have sauna and things derived from it. Saunas and the Gaelic sweathouses are permanent structures made of wood or stone, respectively,  and are quite different from Native American lodges in both physical form and ceremonial use. The ceremonies held in these structures - when they even have a ceremonial component, which is rare - are very different from Native American ceremonies. While many Nordic (and recent Gaelic) cultures only use sauna for physical sweating cures, some do have traditions of honouring specific spirits, praying and singing, but it is not the same as Native American ceremonies. Roman and Greek cultures, and some of the areas they colonized, have steam baths and bathing pools, but again, this is also very different from a Native sweat lodge. No European culture calls their steam baths, "sweat lodges."

There is no such thing as a "universal" "sweat lodge." All the white neopagans and nuagers like Ms. Bierbaum are doing a misappropriated / pan-Indian attempt at what they believe Inipis are like. Usually it's an eclectic Wiccan ritual inside an inipi-type structure, mixed hodgepodge with stolen bits of Native symbolism, language, and objects. These rituals held at neopagan and nuage events are neither universal, authentic to any Native culture, nor are they authentic to any European culture. Most of them are done in a dangerous manner, and bear more resemblance to the things newage fraud James Ray did (that wound up killing people) than to anything authentic.

Offline White Horse

« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2016, 06:08:46 pm »
Summary of Events

I was notified in November of a Native American Sweatlodge Ceremony that was being held for $100.00 by Renee Bierbaum at Ravens Nest Yoga by some of Ms. Bierbaum's friends and clients.  I looked up the business name and called the phone number listed which is Renee Birebaum's phone number.  I asked Ms. Bierbaum as Executive Director of the American Indian Movement – Florida and requested if we could meet possible at a Starbucks and discuss the Native American event she was promoting/hosting.  Ms. Bierbaum stated that she was out of the state and asked that I contact her after Thanksgiving (This was the ONLY time I actually spoke to Ms. Bierbaum! she does reference in some of her posts conversations I had with other people as though it was with her).  I called Ms. Bierbaum after Thanksgiving, there was no answer so I left a voice message again asking to meet at a Starbucks and discuss the Sweatlodge matter. 
Finally, on December 5, 2015 I got a text response from Ms. Bierbaum stating she was advised by Grey Ghosthawk a.k.a. Troy Johnson not to meet with me and added she teaches women's self-defense classes, she is a black belt later stating that she has spoken to an attorney, and claimed my contacting her was harassment and she also had 3 friends that were Law Enforcement officers that would arrest me if I stepped foot on her property.  I have been protesting for years and I know you cannot step on private property but the public street and public sidewalk are fair game.  I did state to Ms. Bierbaum I have the right/responsibility to preserve and protect my culture.  Ms. Bierbaum then stated she was Native American and also stated she was not exploiting anything.  Ms. Bierbaum again stated that her attorney now says I am trying to intimidate her (asking to meet in a public place to discuss an issue is NOT harassment or intimidation)? 
Ms. Bierbaum also stated she was a black belt, certified yoga instructor and a womens circle leader at The Village Mystic: http://thevillagemystic.com/village/?page_id=2942  Ms. Bierbaum made the first of many references to her husband was killed about 4 years ago.  Next Ms. Bierbaum stated that I would be hearing from her attorney, which I welcomed but no attorney ever contacted me.  Finally, after coming to the realization Ms. Bierbaum was going forward with her Sweatlodge ceremony again cost was $100 to attend.  My research staff discovered when they started to look into who was Renee Bierbaum and was she of Native Ancestry.  First Ms. Bierbaum does not have any Native History and Ms. Bierbaum’s yoga business was in the middle of a subdivision of private homes.  As a former business owner I was well aware that special zoning or permits were required to have a business in an area zoned for private homes.  Since Ms. Bierbaum was refusing to meet in a public area (Starbucks) was threatening me with an attorney, three Law Enforcement officers as friends and that she was a black belt.  Manatee County was contacted and discovered Ms. Bierbaum was running an Illegal Business out of her home for profit and I wasinformed that there could also be some religious issues if she goes ahead with the Sweatlodge on her property.  As there are zoning laws and permit issues with/where Religious events are allowed to take place. 

On December 15, 2015 I was contacted by text by Ms. Bierbaum that Manatee County did find her business in violation of zoning laws/permits and her business was shut down until she can get the proper permitting.  Ms. Bierbaum went on to text she had friends in government, law enforcement, yogis, and martial artists that will help get her business permits.  Ms. Bierbaum did also state that she was Choctaw and she will have her Sweatlodge if it’s the last thing she does.  The Choctaw nation does NOT know who Renee Bierbaum is or her family!  Being an Native American is no different than being a citizen of the United States.  You either are a registered member or you ae an Illegal Immigrant.  No One has the right/privelidge to wake up one day and decide they are Native American or exploit our culture for money.  Finally, Ms. Bierbaum does Not have the right to speak for or represent Native Americans since she is NOT Native American.  A Go Fund Me page was set up for Ms. Bierbaum, I did post on the go fund me page the flyer Ms. Bierbaum used to promote the Swaetlodge Ceremony and it was deleted.  My research staff noticed Ms. Bierbaum was attacking me and the American Indian Movement on her personal and business facebook pages, along with some friends.  I posted on the business facebook page and it was deleted.  Later I was shown a post from Ms. Bierbaum stating she was not deleting any posts.
   I was contacted by Robby Soave from Reason Magazine, he was doing a story about Ms. Bierbaum having her illegal business shut down by Manatee County.  Mr. Soave asked how could I turn in Ms. Bierbaum a widow that was crying during her interview.  I went on to explain Ms. Bierbaum did NOT have the right to hold a Sweatlodge ceremony as she was not Native American, she was charging a fee to attend the Sweatlodge Ceremony, I explained that we do not charge for Ceremonies! I also pointed out the fact that Ms. Bierbaum was asserting White Privilege to holding and charging for the Sweatlodge Ceremony.  She does not have the right to wake up one day decide she is Native American Choctaw) and start exploiting Native American culture for $100 a person.  I further explained that Ceremonies are part of how we practice our religion.  I asked Mr. Soave what if the next time he went to church, what would he think if there was a person at the door asking for $100 to attend church? Mr. Soave did listen but later wrote an article very much in favor of Renee Bierbaum and against Native Americans, I do not know if Mr. Soave and/or Reason Magazine Hate Native Americans, but after reading the article it was the only conclusion many Native Americans came too.
   On December 17, 2015 I was contacted by Grey Ghosthawk a.k.a. Troy Johnson and Donella Favorite asking if I had a problem with them? I said possibly and we discussed the Sweatlodge Ceremony, I requested That we meet at a Starbucks and discuss this matter face to face.  Mr. Ghost Greyhawk and Ms Favorite agreed but suggested an IHOP near Busch Gardens it was about the same traveling distance for both of us.  Mr. Greyhawk has on occasion done ceremonies as Cherokee Ceremonies, so I invited a former officer with the Cherokee Nation to attend the meeting.  The meeting went very well I asked Mr. Greyhawk and Ms. Favorite that if they want to hold Sweatlodge Ceremonies, I asked that they hold a Sweatlodge Ceremony and NOT a Native American Sweatlodge ceremony as advertised/promoted by Renee Bierbaum.  They did ask if they could use native American Style as part of the advertisement/promotion?  Personally I think Native American Style is mis-leading as people that don’t know better still think they are taking part of a Native American Ceremony.  I did say that if I ever saw Native American and Style was not prominently listed after every Native American reference, then there would be an issue.  Mr. Greyhawk and Ms. Favorite did try to say that Ms. Bierbaum’s advertising was wrong and the Sweatlodge Ceremony was supposed to be free.  I pointed out that the advertising/promotion has never been changed and it still lists a cost of $100 to attend. 
   A few days after the meeting with Mr. Greyhawk and Ms. Favorite, Ms. Bierbaum did issue an apology on facebook only, I personally have never seen this apology but my staff assures me an apology was made.  My staff did also state that Ms. Bierbaum was listing some of the things I discussed with Mr. Greyhawk and Ms. Favorite as a conversation I had with her.  Once again, the only time I actually spoke to Ms. Bierbaum was the initial phone call as I identified myself as Executive Director of AIM and was told to call back after Thanksgiving. 
   I was contacted by some friends/supporters that after looking at pictures on Raven’s Nest Yoga facebook page.  It shows some children playing/making something out of Raptor feathers.  Legally only Enrolled members of a Federally Recognized Native American Nation/tribe can possess Raptor feathers (Ms. Bierbaum’s self-identification as a Native American does not count or hold any standing with the rule of law).  I was informed some complaints were filled with FWC, after looking at the evidence I filled a complaint also with FWC.  All the evidence was presented to FWC and it was determined that an investigation by FWC was warranted.  Afterward I was contacted by Ms. Bierbaum and she stated that me and my “cronies” reported her to FWC and in an effort to intimidate me and my “cronies.”  Ms. Bierbaum stated that we may get a visit from some people. 
   I was contacted again by Robby Soave of Reason Magazine on behalf of Renee Bierbaum and asked about the feathers. My comments will be listed in a separate post specifically about Robby Soave. 
   In conclusion, I hope Renee Bierbaum will think twice about exploiting Native American Culture, Traditions and Ways of Life.  As I am informed about people exploiting Native American culture, I will out them publically including some actual Native sell-outs.  Finally, I would like to state the obvious, if holding a Sweatlodge Ceremony for money was the proper thing to do?  I would be out there every day selling ceremonies but it is NOT proper and I will defend my culture and use every legal means possible in defense of Native American Culture.  It just worked out in this matter that for once the law was on the Native American side, Ms. Bierbaum was the one breaking the law and as always it was the native American’s fault.  Renee Bierbaum has repeatedly stated how she was a widow, her husband died almost 4 years ago, I am sorry he’s dead but it is time to stop exploiting your dead husband of 4 years and accept responsibility for your own actions.  I cannot believe Renee Bierbaum BROKE THE LAW and got others to pay her mistakes?  I do still have more dirt on Renee Bierbaum if she still wants to push this issue or try to exploit my culture again.  That would definitely Impact Renee Bierbaum’s business and reputation.  After finding out this information personally I would NEVER want my children, friends and/or family associated with Renee Bierbaum.

Raven’s Nest Yoga
Renee Ravencraft Bierbaum
5012 Woodlawn Circle, West
Palmetto, FL 34221
Phone:   (941) 713-2789

Information listed above taken off
Raven’s Nest Yoga Website to promote the business
http://all-opening-hours.com/011471044/Raven's_Nest_Yoga_with_Renee_Ravencraft_Bierbaum

The Cherokee Nation visited Gainesville Florida on February 6, 2016 and Orlando Florida on February 7, 2016, Principle Chief Bill John Baker and the Cherokee Enrollment staff attended the meetings.  They were held for people that believe they have Cherokee ancestry to come and actually find out if they are Cherokee citizens or not.  Troy Johnson and Donella Favorite were invited to attend.   

Offline White Horse

« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2017, 06:46:08 pm »
Ms. Bierbaum has moved Ravens Nest Yoga to Mississippi.

Downtown Fitness - 108 Main St.
McComb, MS 39648

(941) 713-2789

Wannabe Update for future reference, in case she didn't learn anything about NOT Exploiting Native Culture and Traditions. 

Piff

« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2017, 02:58:20 am »
Her birth surname is Ravencraft. The names of her parents can be found in her husband's obituary http://www.jonesfamilyfuneralservices.net/fh/obituaries/obituary.cfm?o_id=1903942&fh_id=12269

She has been referred to as a Christo-Pagan https://books.google.com/books?id=MdbcAgAAQBAJ&pg=PT82&lpg=PT82&dq=%22Renee+Ravencraft%22&source=bl&ots=pxlJRqj5BB&sig=35VPjDyte6PKT1-i2zcdgYjvOSU&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj_8-bwr-vRAhXhyFQKHbP_Adg4ChDoAQguMAU#v=onepage&q=%22Renee%20Ravencraft%22&f=false who is quoted as saying "... there is nothing more worshipful than sitting in a Native American fire circle.".