Author Topic: new  (Read 4790 times)

new
« on: November 20, 2015, 11:55:14 pm »
New here. Mythical Algonquin from Témiscaming Wolf Lake FN in Quebec. Wondering why some of your members claim we don't exist.

Offline Defend the Sacred

• Global Moderator
Re: new
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2015, 09:03:34 pm »
Welcome!

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2015, 11:30:24 pm »
Thank you

Offline Zhaanpaxe

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2015, 06:54:23 am »
Ha.we!

I think that we people down here in the US are mostly familiar with the term "Algonquin" being used only for the family of languages and as a general ethnographic term for the peoples who speak them. The fact that many of the First Nations up north use official English names such as your own Wolf Lake Band, or Frog Lake First Nation for example, may cause us some confusion. These location-specific names gloss over what culture the people who live there belong to, to an extent.

Add to that the fact that many frauds are lazy or just clueless enough to juxtapose many unrelated things together to seem exotic. For instance the also mythical "Cherokee traditional medicine person who practices Lakota sweat lodges and sells Ojibwe dreamcatchers". That's just a silly example, but you see many pop up that try to sell personas just like that, so to see someone claiming to be Algonquin when you are only used to that referring to the language itself, it seems obviously made-up to us. Of course, this is just our ignorance of what terms are commonly used in Canada, but to many it sounds as outlandish as claiming to be from the "Western Romance" people.

I have to admit, I didn't think that any bands actually identified themselves as Algonquin until your post made me look it up. I thought that you folks called yourselves Anishnabeg or one of the many related terms, so you have educated at least one person.  ;D
"It took Father Schoenmakers 15 years to make a white man out of me, and it will take just 15 minutes to make an Osage out of myself."

- 'Governor' Joe Panenopashe

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2015, 02:29:09 pm »
Zhaanpaxe thank you very much for actually researching and finding we are a real People. My band is made up of three bands that fall under the same leadership. Even the French traders at Tadoussac knew we were here and that was in the later part of the 1500s. Champlain recorded interactions with us in 1603. We were always here so I don't know why other People would say we are fake when as you found there is documentation and other FNIM recognize and the Canadian Government recognizes us as you can see here http://www.aadnc-aandc.gc.ca/Mobile/Nations/profile_wolflake-eng.html

Offline earthw7

• Standing Rock Tourism
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2015, 08:31:44 pm »
yes I agree with Zhaanpaxe many fraud use the term of your nation to make their claims
because the "Algonquin" is used as a language group which includes many tribes,
welcome it is good to see relatives from the north country
In Spirit

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2015, 11:20:17 pm »
Thank you for making things clear earthw7. I know there are people who are fakes and frauds that claim Algonquin but we are really here :) So many of them claim to have had William Commanda as a teacher or giving permissions. After William Commandas helper crossed the kooks really came out of the wood work taking advantage of him and when Grandfather William crossed everybody claimed he was their teacher and gave permissions. He came from a different generation when no one had to worry about wannabes and fakes.