Author Topic: Lorain Fox Davis aka Lorraine Fox Davis  (Read 4445 times)

Offline Ingeborg

• Friends
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Lorain Fox Davis aka Lorraine Fox Davis
« on: October 13, 2015, 05:18:18 pm »
 Copied from the thread on IPUN (Indigenous Peoples United Nations - http://www.newagefraud.org/smf/index.php?topic=4675.0 ):

Received this email from a friend and associate of Lorain Fox Davis, stating she is quite elderly and not online, but wanted to be clear she has nothing to do with IPUN anymore, and her name was added without her permission.

She, and he, do defend her earlier actions. That's included also. Bolding is mine.

--------

Hello! My name is John and I am a friend and occasional technical assistant of Mrs. Lorain Fox Davis. She was recently notified of an interesting string of articles and speculation....

However, she asked me to contact you (as she is an elderly woman who understands little of computers) to have her removed from this discussion.

I understand from reading the post that you have done some research regarding the IPUN organization and Mrs. Davis' association with it. However, Lorain didn't give them permission to use her name in the manifesto that she is purportedly a founding member of.

At no time did Mrs. Davis sign this document, and we feel that not only was she looped into a document and organization she had little influence upon, we are also concerned about the defamation regarding her roots and character in the blog post.

Since you have not actually traced her roots back to her lineage, the comments you make are purely speculative and also inaccurate.

Further, she has left the IPUN "Grandmothers Circle" as she does not herself subscribe to its policies or affiliates and will be removed from further iterations of the supposed "charter" that is circulating with her name on it.

It is unfortunate for all when people misuse and abuse people of credibility and authenticity to promote the opposite.

With respect, we appreciate you removing the portion of the above link that disrespects Lorain and that casts doubt upon her authenticity which is verifiable through direct contact with her and her work.

Thanks ~ John Tone

Offline Ingeborg

• Friends
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Re: Lorain Fox Davis aka Lorraine Fox Davis
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2015, 09:21:34 pm »
I can see why Fox Davis would prefer to have her name deleted from the forum. There are quite a few unsubstantiated claims and even outright lies one can document googling her name.

First of all, there are two articles in the local newspaper in which she gets praised with much fanfare, and these articles provide good information regarding how Ms Davis would like to have herself portrayed to the public. The question is: is there a sound foundation or are we getting fed with claims and Nuage speak? Let's have a look:

http://www.crestoneeagle.com/lorain-fox-davis-the-heart-of-the-sacred-circle/
http://www.crestoneeagle.com/events/event-to-honor-lorain-fox-davis/
(Some of the info is in both articles)

[She] … taught Native Studies at Naropa University in Boulder and shared her knowledge as an indigenous elder at many cross-cultural gatherings.

Naropa University and claiming indigenous? Oh.
In fact, Naropa is mentioned in various threads here on NAPS.

Lorain (the Native spelling of her birth name, Lorraine)

The Native spelling? Oh well.... Our Nuage to plain English dictionary says: „My given first name is so – ermm plain and lacks some exotic flair, I at least had to change its spelling to pretend.“

Lorain was largely cut off during childhood from the Blackfeet and Cree culture of her mother’s family. Her mother spent 12 years in a government boarding school where she learned through fear to suppress all expressions of her Native background, and Lorain’s Cree grandmother was an orphan who often apologized for not being able to offer her granddaughter much about the old ways.

This plainly says Fox Davis was not raised in any indigenous culture, there was no contact to any indigenous nation, and there was little info on the particular indigenous cultures claimed to learn within her family. Just that Fox Davis was not „cut off during childhood“, but never was introduced to the cultures of her mother's family.

In particular, Lorain continues to teach about the Medicine Wheel as a tool for regaining personal and collective balance, and to host solstice and equinox gatherings at the Medicine Wheel just south of her home.

So presumably Fox Davis came to pick up bits and pieces of an alleged generic ndn culture, like Vincent LaDuke's Medicine Wheel which she is teaching about.

Lorain is trained in various forms of energy healing work, which she continues through a small private practice today.

Energy healing work? There's nothing indigenous about that, this is plain Nuage. But since she still runs a private practice, Fox Davis will be very interested to have only positive messages out in the internet.

Over the years Lorain also has brought people together for activities including Medicine Wheel gatherings and women’s retreats.

So she is selling Nuage stuff and ndn ceremonies to paying clients.

Lorain also continues to travel with Chief Looking Horse as an indigenous ambassador with World Peace and Prayer Day.

And she mixes in some name-dropping for good measure. Plus of course claiming the title of an „ambassador“, even an „indigenous ambassador“ when she isn't indigenous.

won a Grammy for an album of healing music that includes songs she sings in the Incan and Blackfeet languages.
in 2008 she won a Grammy as a lead vocalist for the album Come to Me Great Mystery: Native American Healing Songs. Her two contributions to the album “are both songs to lead us into our heart,” she explains.

Nope, she didn't! It is a bit hard to find as of course Fox Davis did not win the Grammy and also mentions the wrong year when she mentions it at all, but it can be done:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/50th_Annual_Grammy_Awards#Folk_Field

Best Native American Music Album
Oklahoma Style – Walter Ahhaitty & Friends
Watch This Dancer! – Black Lodge
The Ballad of Old Times – Davis Mitchell
Reconnections – R. Carlos Nakai, Cliff Sarde, William Eaton & Randy Wood
Totemic Flute Chants – Johnny Whitehorse
Nothing in 2008.
However, for 2009, we get this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Come_to_Me_Great_Mystery:_Native_American_Healing_Songs

Come to Me Great Mystery: Native American Healing Songs is a compilation album of Native American music released through Silver Wave Records on April 22, 2008.[1] In 2009, the album won Tom Wasinger the Grammy Award for Best Native American Music Album.[2]

Track listing
1. "Come to Me Great Mystery", performed by Thirza Defoe – 7:21
2. "Hear My Prayer", performed by Doug Foote – 5:58
3. "Hue Hue", performed by Lorain Fox – 5:50
4. "Beauty Way", performed by Allen Mose – 6:59
5. "Calling to the People", performed by Thirza Defoe – 6:53
6. "I Am the Beginning and the End", performed by Dorothy Tsatoke – 6:53
7. "A Prayer from Above", performed by Doug Foote – 6:58
8. "Kaio Kaio", performed by Lorain Fox – 3:54

Personnel
Douglas Foote – composer
James Marienthal – executive producer
Allen Mose – composer
Valerie Sanford – design
Susan Wasinger – cover illustration
Tom Wasinger – arranger, producer, engineer, mixing, photography, instrumentation
Emphasis mine

Plain to see that the person winning the Grammy was Tom Wasinger. To claim she won it means Fox Davis is grossly misrepresenting the facts.

For anybody inclined to argue that someone simply might have misunderstood this claim and that Fox Davis certainly does not... - Yes, she certainly does. See what she wrote in a review at Amazon:

http://www.amazon.de/The-Stolen-Girl-Veil-Crown/dp/1499642202

The Veil and the Crown and it is a great read. I could hardly put it down 4. Juli 2014

I just finished The Veil and the Crown and it is a great read. I could hardly put it down, and then I got back to it as quickly as I could, and I lingered over and savored the vivid descriptions. It is absorbing, historically interesting, well researched and constantly enticing. It was as if Zia took me by the hand and we followed the heroine through all her adventures. I felt like a peeping Tomasina, and occasionally when I gasped or wanted to question, she would turn and say, "shhhhh".
Scheherazade, eat your heart out!

Lorain Fox Davis, Grammy Winner and Teacher
Emphasis mine

Lorain has studied the ancient teachings of many cultures, including the deepest wisdom in Hinduism, Buddhism and Christianity.

The mixing of various cultures from all over the globe plus the claim of being indigenous is another very certain indicator the person in question is a Nuage fake.

Lorain Fox-Davis, a widely respected Native American teacher who has held the sacred space here for more than 20 years

While an operator of a private practice in one article, the claims are being blown up some more in the second. A „widely respected Native American teacher“ - no, this is exactly what she is not. As an aside: respected by whom? In a Nuage environment?

Lorain, a Cree/Blackfeet Elder, taught Native American Studies at Naropa University in Boulder for nine years.

Another promotion from a „teacher“ to an „elder“ which again she is not. Many persons get old and elderly, few get to be elders.

For sixteen years Lorain served as an Indigenous Ambassador with Chief Arvol Looking Horse for World Peace and Prayer Day at sacred sites around the world with traditional spiritual leaders. She was an Indigenous Representative at the Eagle and Condor Gatherings at Lima, Machu Pichu and the upper Amazon in Peru

Not unusual for a Nuager, Fox Davis has taken part in her share of Nuage events and so-called congresses. And the number of persons trying to promote themselves mentioning the name of Mr Looking Horse must be legion.

Her primary teachers were Haidakhand Babaji; Tulku Urgyen Rinpoche and Adzom Rinpoche, Tibetan Dzogchen Masters; Chief Looking Horse, Lakota Keeper of the White Buffalo Calf Pipe; Lama Tsultrim Allione, Director of Tara Mandala; Irma Bear Stops, Lakota Elder; and Tlakaelel, Aztec Elder.

Hindu and Tibetan teachers claimed, plus two persons from the Lakota nation – but no Blackfoot or Cree teacher is named by Fox Davis who claims to be Blackfoot and Cree. This spells Nuager.
And she claims Tlakaelel as a teacher who was a known fraud and misrepresented himself as indigenous. We got a thread on Tlakaelel: http://www.newagefraud.org/smf/index.php?topic=3695.0

She is a frequent presenter at indigenous and spiritual conferences on the underlying truths shared by all the great wisdom traditions of the world.

At „spiritual“ = Nuage conferences: yes. At indigenous conferences: no.

For the past eleven years she has traveled with Chief Arvol Looking Horse as an International Cultural Elder for World Peace and Prayer day.

And then even 'traveling' with Mr Looking Horse...

She was the Founder/Director of Rediscovery Four Corners, for thirty years. Rediscovery was a non-profit organization serving Native American youth and elders, ...

Does it say 30 years? Yes, certainly. Keep this figure in mind, we'll get back to this later.

And it all runs in the family:

… with her husband David, where they were the guardians of the Sacred Circle Medicine Wheel.

Mr Davis does a bit more than just act as a guardian:

Her husband David Davis understands the principle of alignment in his work with structural integration and the lodge. David is a true partner, a lodge leader himself and water-pourer. He truly respects the interface between heaven and earth with his passion for the land, our watershed, and the creatures and habitat.

So they both offer and sell fake ceremonies.

And of course such an article would not be complete without a voice from among the enthusiastic clients:

Lorain has generously shared her accumulated wisdom. In the sweat lodge it was her voice that will stay with us. That precious voice hastened us into the lodge. As we sat in a circle in the dark, as water was poured on the heated rocks and the smell of sweet grass penetrated our pores, she guided us in the songs and led us in prayers that led us deeper into the mystery and showed us the right relationship to the elements.

Speaking of running in the family – here's an excerpt from a site maintained by Fox Davis daughter:

http://crookedtrails.org/join-a-journey-of-amazing-women-in-colorado-this-august/

By Crooked Trails Co-founder Chris Mackay
I am grateful for many things in my life. MOM is at the top of the list. Before I ever took off on my first solo around-the-world adventure, Mom was infusing dinner table conversations with tales of metaphysical magic, purporting the true identity of King Arthur, discussing with my stepfather their deepening understanding of Tantric cults and planning their next powwow. It wasn’t politics as usual at our house. Dinner guests ranged from Tibetan Lamas, to Aztec Shamans, from Native American leaders to humble vagabonds with tales to share: all were welcome.

So Mr Tlakaelel, the fake shame-on, apparently even was a guest to her house.

Mom has been a collector of ideas and ways of knowing for decades, and over the years she has become a cultural and spiritual extractor blending and mixing what she has learned from generations of teachers into a single holistic understanding of life. Now in her mid-70’s, Mom weaves tales more prodigiously than a spider spins webs. She is the mother of 7, grandmother of 21 and great-grandmother of 2. That alone would spin a long tale, but like all grandmas who never shied away from living life to its fullest; mom has more up her sleeve. Mom (Lorain Fox Davis) is a Cree/ Blackfeet Elder, and a Grammy Award winner of Native American Healing Songs. She has taught Native American Studies at Naropa University, Boulder, CO for 9 years, and for 20 years was the Founder/Director of Rediscovery Four Corners, a non-profit serving Native youth and Elders. She has traveled around the world meeting elders and spiritual leaders, and spends a lot of time painting. Since 1995, she has served as an Indigenous Ambassador assisting Chief Arvol Looking Horse with ceremonies for World Peace and Prayer Day at sacred sites around the world.

So who got this right – the article in the local paper claiming the non-profit existed for 30 years, or Fox Davis' daughter, who gives it a mere 20 years?

That is why when Karen Bryant MD and Liz Siedel of Medaphysical asked me if I could help develop a program for their new Abundant Woman Journeys into the southwest, I jumped at it. They asked – Do I know powerful women in Colorado? Heck yes. Let’s start with Mom. Mix in an afternoon workshop in a sound healing circle with Leigh Ann Phillips using quartz crystal singing bowls. Then allow Karen and Liz to facilitate morning yoga and visualization sessions, add some hikes into the amazing Sangre De Cristo Mountains, schedule in a healing water ceremony in the local hot springs, and some time visiting the unique Great Sand Dunes National Park and we have an incredible week long adventure. With all the adventure and transformational experiences involved in this journey, the body will need some good support, and participants will stay at the Baca Condos and have a private gourmet chef-Roxane De la Roche at their service.

Welcome to the Colorado Abundant Woman Journey, a week-long workshop created to strengthen and celebrate the abundant and divine feminine in your life. This Abundant Woman Journey brings us to the heart of Colorado; in the San Luis Valley which sits at 8,000 feet and is flanked by the majestic 14,000 ft. Sangre De Cristo Mountains to the East and the San Juan Mountains to the West. Our journey will take place in the small internationally recognized village of Crestone where we will meet with local women who are recognized in their fields as leaders, and who combine their years of experience and studies into transformational, healing work.

So this is what Fox Davis will participate in and then goes and calls „indigenous conference“.
We've got only a third person's word that IPUN used Fox Davis name without being authorised. So what may have caused the IPUN fakes to believe that Fox Davis may be a bird of a similar feather? Since word about IPUN now is out in the open and can be googled, it seems that being associated with them may not be an advantage for one's own business....

« Last Edit: November 18, 2015, 01:57:23 am by Ingeborg »