Author Topic: Annie Oak (Womens Visionary Congress / ayahuasca)  (Read 2436 times)

Offline DoctorLao

• NonNP; AngloAmer cultural/biological descent
Annie Oak (Womens Visionary Congress / ayahuasca)
« on: September 17, 2015, 06:49:30 am »
I am wondering, i.e. in doubt - about doings of something called the Women's Visionary Congress, and its founder (as I was anonymously advised) - Annie Oak.

http://www.plantteachers.com/annie-oak/

I found no references to her or the WVC here, from search.  WVC describes itself as "a nonprofit organization that supports the right to self-knowledge, cognitive liberty and new modes of healing that link us to female wisdom keepers and users of plant medicines."

My alert curiosity follows a recent (single post exchange) contact I had with this particular activity group or interest.   It was at an 'entheogen' / 'psychonaut' special interest forum. I saw WVC was advertising or soliciting ("join with us" etc) - for an upcoming event: http://www.plantteachers.com/presenters-bios/

A key focus of concern for WVC's event (as cited/described) was - cultural appropriation. Especially as relates to ayahuasca tourism. 

Not to imply some fox would apply for a job, guarding a hen house.  But I've wondered if the creators or perpetrators of the issue - try to appropriate it, as a sort of subversion tactic. 

If so it might recall how some bible hard liners, just since the 1970s - have appropriated evolutionary science - in order to undermine the science (at least to naive audiences).  No doubt you know, the 'sciencies' imitate sounds of biology and theory (vocab etc) to create confusion. They cite fossils and DNA etc, but like ventriloquists - or torture the evidence - to make it say: "Well well the Bible is right, lo and behold (Who Knew?)"

I was just left uncomfy, after a WVC-anonymous reply I got - to a query I posed about the event as advertised (in the 'psychonaut' forum).  Ostensibly an answer - its purport only raised further and murkier questions in my mind. 

As years have transpired, events and patterns emerging - I've slowly, steadily become more deeply concerned about our so-called 'psychonaut' subculture ("community" in its own lingo) - i.e. the post 1960s psychedelic movement in society.

I lack personal-cultural background to address cultural appropriation as a general problem emerging from the psychedelic/psychonautic movement.  I can note its lively interests in native ceremonies - especially to get in on things like ayahuasca traditions - as participating outsiders, initiates - with 'all the rights and honors appertaining thereto.' 

I wonder if anyone here is familiar with WVC, or this Annie Oak? And if so, might comment or advise, offer any perspective as relates?  I wonder how they "score" - on the 0 to 10 Nuage Fraud-o-meter, from standpoint of contemporary indigenous people addressing such issues.

From my (non NDN) background I feel better able to trace issues, in the same subculture, of pseudoscience.  Part of the psychonautic pattern that has deepened and darkened over years seems to be the exploitation of scholarly subjects, appropriation of disciplinary fields, to stage a certain scene. The entire tradition of educated inquiry itself, a major foundation of Western history - seems 'up for grabs' in some contexts.

Thanks in advance for any advice or reflections on Annie Oak and WVC. 

For reference (my query, and WVC reply post): https://www.reddit.com/r/Psychonaut/comments/3ky9sg/youre_invited_to_join_the_womens_visionary/

Gathers Frost