Author Topic: Ohio Historical Society  (Read 5493 times)

Offline E.P. Grondine

• Man and Impact in the Americas
Ohio Historical Society
« on: September 03, 2014, 05:26:51 pm »
Hello everyone-

This last weekend, there was a fund raising powwow held at the large ring at Newark to benefit NAICCO of Columbus, Ohio. As NAICCO largely provides support for Sioux who have come to Ohio, this powwow was a good thing (they aren't called "the Bad Lands" for nothing).

The catch is that NAICCO's host was the Newark Earthworks Center of Ohio State University at Newark, which should be considered as an agent for the Ohio Historical Society, who actually claim title to the ring.

And therein lies the problem, a problem which has driven me to speak about it.

I need to start this note with some background. It is strange for me to write this note, as I am only 1/8 Shawnee, along with a whiff of Huron; more specifically, I am descended from Thawaghili (ancient Tziwighili) from Shawnee Oldtown, Maryland. Over the years, somehow I have become a historian; it certainly was not any plan on my part.

As another of the Thawaghili descendants was elected to public office in Maryland some years back, my Native ancestors' division's principle remains were protected some years ago by the State of Maryland. The remains originally survived the conquest because the place where they were located was of no economic use to the European settlers.

As if that were not enough to show how limited my ability to speak on these matters is, the remains here in Ohio were built by other divisions of the Shawnee Nation, and the Shawnee Nation's covenant belt was broken long ago during the conquest. It also appears to me that these ancient people were also in part Cherokee ancestors (we are speaking about events which took place long ago), but then as my understanding of Cherokee history is even more limited, it would be best if they were to speak on this.

Here in Ohio, many remains were destroyed by the settlers. At first, the settlers did not want any "Indians" returning to visit their ancestral sites. Later, they did want any signs left that the lands they had settled on were taken from the "Indians".

The only way any remains would be preserved was if they were assigned to mysterious "Moundbuilders", who bore no relation to the Shawnee (or the Cherokee). The Ohio Historical Society was and is a group of private antiquarians (they are not a branch of the government of the State of Ohio) who promoted this myth. The thinking among local descendents has been "We don't care who they say built them, as long as they are preserved", and the Ohio Historical Society was not only tolerated but actually encouraged in promoting the "Moundbuilders" myth.

But times have changed, and the Ohio Historical Society has as well. What started off as a group of well meaning antiquarians has turned into a group of people feeding off the tax paying people of State of Ohio, while not under their control. And in sum, the settlers, having removed the "Indians" from Ohio, are now trying to remove their history, and therein lies the problem.

I am pretty certain that many Sioux youths at the Powwowwere confused by them, and I view this as a problem for the Dakota, Oglala, Lakota, Nakota and other Siouxian leadership to correct. It appears that they are now going to try to steal your history, and give you the Shawnee and Cherokee's. This reminds me of how the Choctaw lands in Oklahoma were given to other peoples; I feel that the Siouxian peoples should not let their history be stolen by them, as much as I resent the attempts to steal the Shawnee (and Cherokee) and history here in Ohio.

Further, in doing so it looks to me that the Ohio Historical Society is trying to use the old European trick of playing one nation against another.

Now I must speak about some of the individuals involved in the Ohio Historical Society.

Last year, to the astonishment of many people, Chief Glenna Wallace told Dick Shields at the Great Ring that the Golf Course would have to move from ceremonial remains where it is now located. You may hear her words here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pEh9n5_D7k

Barbara Crandell (Cherkoee descendent) objected to Chief Glenna conducting a social dance outside of the ring after she made her statement. I replied:

"Hello Barbara -

"While perhaps the original structure under "Eagle" Mound in the center of the Great Ring may have been a place for preparing the bodies of notables for internment, most people then were cremated.

"As I have tried to explain to you, the rings were used at the fall Bread Dance to teach the night sky, the story of Grandmother (Kokumthena) and the two boys (Venus and Mars).

[I need to add here that I now know that "Grandmother and the Two Boys" was the advanced lesson, while at the ring White Hawk taught the constellations to everyone. While I suspect that The Shawnee "White Hawk" may be identical with the Cherokee "Man who married Two Star Maidens", but it would be better if a Cherokee were to comment on this. Returning now to my reply to Grandmother Crandall:]

"The social dances were absolutely appropriate.

"I am pretty sure that Marty and many people were stunned by Chief Glenna Wallace's blunt declaration that the remains were built by Shanwee ancestors.

"I myself was stunned to hear Brad Lepper and Dick Shields cede the point in their remarks.

E.P.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2014, 03:24:17 pm by E.P. Grondine »

Offline E.P. Grondine

Re: Ohio Historical Society
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2014, 05:30:56 pm »
Dick Shields responded:

"Glenna Wallace does not say the Shawnee built our earthworks. ["Our"? And exactly which nation are you descended from, Dick?] I have heard Glenna Wallace speak many times. She says the Shawnee arrived in Ohio sometime in the eighteenth century and the earthworks were already there. She says they understood the earthworks were important and cared for them and they want to be a part of preserving them for the future. She welcomed the remarks from Marti (a Comanche), Christine (Cherokee), John (Potatwatomie) and Carol (Dakota). She is interested in working with all people who will help liberate these earthworks, preserve them and make them public.

"Marti and I did not cede any claim that the Shawnee built these earthworks and Glenna does not make that claim."

You may hear for yourself what Chief Wallace said. And you may judge for yourselves Dick Shield's intentions, and whether he is trying to use the old European trick of playing one nation against another, in order that he and his colleagues have rights to the uncontrolled excavation of White Hawk's ring and the surrounding area.

[I need to add here that I do have any problem with excavation, as I do not expect them to find anything different than what they have already found, which is that the big ring was one of White Hawk's Rings. I guess some people are just slow, and even have trouble understanding pretty straight forward English.]

Another issue with the Ohio Historical Society is their treatment of the remains of the ancestors. This does not only extend to ancient remains, where the Ohio Historical Society has no intention of establishing any existing nation as direct descendents with rights under NAGPRA. It extends to historical contact sites, where they have Shawnee remains they refuse to surrender.

If its any comfort to you, the Ohio Historical Society "steals" from Europeans as well. I have been asked by Marietta College to tell the Ohio Historical Society that they want their property, Rufus Putnam's clothes, returned from Columbus to the Campus Martius Museum in Marietta. There are also some trade beads which they have appropriated from there which the owner wants returned.

In all of this, it is important to remember that the Ohio Historical Society is not a part of the government of the State of Ohio, but a group of private individuals.

« Last Edit: September 12, 2014, 03:28:19 pm by E.P. Grondine »

Offline E.P. Grondine

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2014, 05:34:19 pm »
I now want to move on to the actions of another leader of the Ohio Historical Society, Dr. Bradley Lepper.

In 2013 the Ohio Historical Society received a grant of $40,000 from the federal government to plan an exhibit on the removal of the 10 historical tribes from Ohio. Did they hire a historian to assemble in one place the colonists' records of when the Shawnee showed up in other areas to try to get guns to counter the guns of the Five Nations?

No.

Instead they funded Dr. Bradley Lepper, an archaeologist and not a historian, to write this paper:
http://ohioarchaeology.org/documents/Lepper_2014-final.pdf

Those of you familiar with David Cusick's "Sketches of the Ancient History of the Six Nartions" may compare his words with Dr. Lepper's summary of them, along with Lepper's rather complete lack of knowledge of the relations between the Five Nations and the Shawnee.

As I mentioned earlier, some people appear to be unable to understand straight forward English. Further, it appears that sometimes they get together with each other to confirm their confusion, and then to share it with others.

In regards to Dr. Bradley Lepper, I would be remiss not to mention here one of his earlier books, an overview of the archeology of Ohio. This work of his bears striking exact parallels with a much earlier book by Bob Converse, the former President of the Archeological Society of Ohio. I would be further remiss not to mention that the Ohio Historical Society did not allow Bob Converse to sell his book in any of "their" properties, in other words the First Peoples' ceremonial sites.

My Miccosukee lady friend has pointed out to me that while I am only 1/8 Shawnee by blood, sometimes I become %100. The NAICCO powwow was one such occasion.

And so I ask you now for your thinking on the actions of the Ohio Historical Society. My thinking that while they are competent to deal with the remains of the settlers, they are in no way able to handle the remains of the first peoples, but instead have appropriated them for their personal benefit.

Offline benbarnes

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2014, 06:53:07 pm »
It's odd to find someone claiming to be Thawikila here on an anti phoney page? Which Shawnee nation are you a member of, EP?

Offline Keely

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2015, 01:25:24 am »
It's odd to find someone claiming to be Thawikila here on an anti phoney page? Which Shawnee nation are you a member of, EP?

Them fakes sure know how to stick out...

Offline AClockworkWhite

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2015, 04:10:22 am »
Notice he never named his Miccosukee lady friend? I wonder why....
I came here for the popcorn and stayed for the slaying of pretenders.