Author Topic: Victor Frye & Sweet Medicine Meditational Arts  (Read 7420 times)

Offline kitten42

Re: Victor Frye & Sweet Medicine Meditational Arts
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2014, 06:55:35 pm »
He lists training with the Heartwood Institute at http://www.heartwoodinstitute.com/ and I couldn't find any NDN-ish stuff poking around there.  It looked more like standard flaky Nuage stuff, reiki, EZ Tai Chi and that sort of fluff.

The only other references to Sweet Medicine I could find online were to Quodoushka and Metis Deer Tribe with their Sweet Medicine SunDance BS, but Mr. Frye doesn't claim their teachings anywhere I could find.

Offline Defend the Sacred

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2014, 07:57:58 pm »
Like the creepy "Deer Tribe" frauds, it's incredibly offensive for him to call his nuage bs "Sweet Medicine." And it's very clear from his pages he knows exactly who he's stealing that from.  He has some really inappropriate, stolen images posted on some of his pages. If he ever had any cultural connection, which I seriously doubt, he's exploiting it now. I think he's mimicking ceremonies he read about in a book.

He's also randomly mangling and mixing up different NDN languages, and he belongs to twinkie groups on FB, most of which are run by (and populated by) European hobbyists. Maybe he's hoping to convince some of the Euros that he's NDN, so he can make some money off them via scam spiritual tourism. He's implying he's hooked up with a dance somewhere, but it must be a fraudulent one as all the people commenting about it look to be white.  I think he's the token Black guy in a circle of white pretendians.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 08:10:58 pm by Kathryn »

Offline kitten42

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2014, 09:47:17 pm »
That would make sense. I just had time to poke through his LinkedIn page earlier, as I am trying to participate in research in my spare time.  His Sweet Medicine Meditations Facebook page is empty, while his personal page has a crazy quilt of offensiveness all over it.  I recognized psychobabble, Lakota words and images, and bastardized Eastern concepts, though I'm sure other people would recognize much more.  He also claims past employment at Eagle Recovery Lodge, which doesn't sound good at all but I cannot find a single online reference to it.  It's supposedly in Norden, California.

I wouldn't give him the time of day, much less any money.

Epiphany

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2014, 09:48:10 pm »
Here is more on his heritage claims:

About Me:
A good & sober Spiritual Man.... Who's a lover of Spirit & Ceremony. I was raised on the Yakima N-D-N Reservation. Mother a full blood native, father a black man. Raised from an early age to respect woman, love nature & understand all things are alive and full with Spirit. "Mitakuye Oyasin" To all things I am related, Creator & Creation.

http://www.dailyom.com/users/000/703/000703675.html

Offline Defend the Sacred

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2014, 09:53:13 pm »
Here is more on his heritage claims:

About Me:
A good & sober Spiritual Man.... Who's a lover of Spirit & Ceremony. I was raised on the Yakima N-D-N Reservation. Mother a full blood native, father a black man. Raised from an early age to respect woman, love nature & understand all things are alive and full with Spirit. "Mitakuye Oyasin" To all things I am related, Creator & Creation.

http://www.dailyom.com/users/000/703/000703675.html

Uh huh. Then why the fake Lakota and fake Cheyenne ceremonies, Eh?

Offline debbieredbear

• Global Moderator
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2014, 02:14:08 am »
Raised on the Yakama (That is the correct spelling) Rez and uses Lakota words? Heck, I went to school (UW) with a lot of Yakamas and picked up a few words. Oh, and one of my  nieces is Yakama and her dad used to teach it. Sure he was raised there. Probably raised in the city of Yakima.

Epiphany

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2014, 06:16:57 pm »
On his FB he says he is " From White Swan, Washington".

It is interesting that he doesn't spell Yakama correctly.   If he really was from the Yakama Indian Reservation, the reservation of the Confederated Tribes and Bands of the Yakama Nation, wouldn't he know the proper spelling?

In the mid-1990s the Yakima nation renamed itself to "YAKAMA " more closely reflecting the proper pronunciation in their native tongue.

http://www.yakamanation-nsn.gov/history3.php

In 1993, the Tribal Council voted to change the spelling of the tribe’s name from “Yakima” to “Yakama,” the spelling that appears on the 1855 treaty.

http://www.critfc.org/member_tribes_overview/the-confederated-tribes-and-bands-of-the-yakama-nation/

Offline debbieredbear

• Global Moderator
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2014, 11:58:08 pm »
He could be from White Swan, but there are non-Yakamas living there, so that doesn't mean he's Yakama. My husband's cousin lives about 7 miles from there  and we have been there.

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2016, 11:52:46 pm »
Victor Frye lived in Terrace Heights, Yakima Washington. It was a working farm. Mostly fruit orchards. His mother, Doris Frye, is African American, not Native American, although she had uncommonly light skin. Victor's father, Reginald Frye, was the complete opposite; he had uncommonly dark skin, almost a true black complexion. Here's a transcript of their oral history. 

Victor Frye is ashamed of being full black. He denies his true heritage and amazing history. This is an article about his grandfather, Mr. Samuel Steward, who was an amazing man, raising 13 children, one of which is Victor's mother. 

Now, Victor did have an uncle that ran away at a very young age and was "adopted" by a tribe in Arizona. He took the name Buck Shewana. They taught him how to tame and train horses, and that's what he did for the rest of his life. Maybe Victor had the same dreams, but he was never able to follow them.