Author Topic: St. Joseph's Indian School.  (Read 24783 times)

Offline LittleOldMan

St. Joseph's Indian School.
« on: September 16, 2010, 10:51:42 am »
Good morning:  I received a letter yesterday asking for donations for the above school.  Chamberlain, SD 57326 605-234-3300  www.stjo.org/dreams  The packet came with a mass produced Dream Catcher, peal and stick flower labels, return address peal and stick labels, a 2011 calender, and a note pad.  Donations 8,12,15 dolars for needy Lakota children.  I know that some of you are Lakota is this a valid charity or would it be better to give any gifts through someone such as Earth7 who we know?  With all respect given I am "LittleOldMan"
Blind unfocused anger is unproductive and can get you hurt.  Controlled and focused anger directed tactically wins wars. Remember the sheath is not the sword.

Offline Ingeborg

• Friends
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Re: St. Joseph's Indian School.
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2010, 11:14:24 am »
Some years ago, I asked the same question in a forum and received the answer that it is in fact a charity.

However, I suppose there may be better charities to donate money to, as that school apparently must use a part of donations to keep their mailing going. The letter I saw a few years ago was sent to a relative of ours in Germany, with letter and info material in German language. That relative donates regularly to animal rescue and a few projects with esoteric leanings, and it seems their address got sold to the school. The letter also came with prepared address labels and some gagdets of which I just remember one, a cross on a chain. The letter also had photos of decoratively poor ndn children, contrasted with photos of happy children in the school. I found it somewhat hard to believe the school was indeed a charity when I saw that letter.

I suppose these mail campaigns use up quite an amount of money, not only sending letters in more than one language plus gadgets, but also for buying addresses. Also, if I remember correctly, the school is run by the Catholic church, and they certainly don't only have the money to finance annual mailing campaigns, but also the money to operate the school properly.

Offline debbieredbear

• Global Moderator
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2010, 02:26:54 pm »
years ago I asked to be removed from their mailing list. Now I get TWO of everything. Plus they passed my address on to others.

Offline earthw7

• Standing Rock Tourism
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2010, 05:32:51 pm »
St. Joseph's Indian school is a real charity, they run the school on donations and they have children
from Pine Ridge, Rosebud mostly but also the other 14 reservations of Lakota and Dakota people.
It is mission school, they have an outside agency do their fund raising.

Never never send me  >:(money of any kind, i would take it as an insult. Donation need to go to
schools and other agencies never individual people.
In Spirit

Offline LittleOldMan

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2010, 11:13:00 am »
Thank you all for the information.  Earth7 my statement was not meant as an insult I would  never intentionally do so.  I meant to imply that any aid offered should be checked out with someone that we know who would guide the giver in a way that the gift would reach the right destination without any of the aid given being stolen from the intended recipients.  The reduction of the administrative costs produces more aid to those that are in need.  With all due respect and honor offered I am "LittleOldMan"
Blind unfocused anger is unproductive and can get you hurt.  Controlled and focused anger directed tactically wins wars. Remember the sheath is not the sword.