Author Topic: Fraud - Wayne 'Ferlin' Goodrider - Blackfoot - medicine man protection racket  (Read 15453 times)

Offline porkypine

• Fort Hall, ID
Fraud - Wayne 'Ferlin' Goodrider - Blackfoot from Canada - plays the border game and is running an 'indian medicine man protection racket'. He is a gambling addict and can frequently be found in Hand games.

My family needs help and I am not sure where to post this. Our family is totally fed up with this guy but we have been unable to stop it.  Sorry if this is all convoluted but I will try to make sense here. And if this is the wrong place to post it, please move it where it belongs but this needs some kind of action because of the harm Ferlin is doing:

My husband just told me this morning, "I got bad news. Ferlin."  and that's all he had to say for me to know what was going on.  My husband said that one of mom's co-workers came to him at work about it so this is still going on and we had hoped that it had ended. (how foolish of us, just because we haven't heard anything didn't mean it had ended.  It just meant that mom has been silent about it.)

background:
As far as we know, his real name is "Wayne Ferlin Goodrider", but he is known as "Ferlin Goodrider" here. He is enrolled Blackfoot on Canada side but he played the border game until the last few years when the US put a stop to his entry into the US. He's been in jail here and is persona non grata in the US so he's been staying on the Canadian side of the border the last few years and running his extortion racket from there.  We kind of wonder why he hasn't been arrested at least for Tax evasion (Like Al Capone) considering how many hundreds of thousands of dollars he's collected from these elders over the years... but the law won't do anything about him and he gets away with it, playing the border game. Ferlin is adept at hiding how much money is actually going to him. He has a whole boatload of helpers on the Canadian side picking up the money for him.

He has been tapping our mother and other traditional elders here in Fort Hall, Idaho (Shoshone-Bannock reservation) for several years.  We have not been able to stop this by the law because the law won't step in until a 'crime' has been committed. (Yes, several of us have tried many times to stop this by law and we have even tried to get power of attorney over her to prevent this - unsuccessful) And the fact that these elders are sending hundreds of dollars at a time and thousands of dollars over the years to this guy is not 'legally' considered a crime because it is voluntary on their part until one of them steps up and will admit he is extorting the money.  The cops admit that this is not a good thing and know that he will strip every last dollar from their victims and even end up making some of them take the hit for bad loans, and the elders could possibly end up to jail instead of this piece of worthless humanity, but they can't do anything until one of the elders admits what this guy is doing. and the elders are afraid to go against Ferlin. So, Ferlin is running free and clear on their last dimes and we are totally pissed off about it and helpless to stop it. Several of us have tried to go to the law about this but the law can't do anything until the elders complain and they are too afraid to complain.

The elders send almost all their cash via Western Union or Walmart or other cash sending agencies every time they get social security or lease money.  It IS NOT voluntary on their part. Ferlin is extorting the money from them in a very sleezy way and the elders are afraid to admit it or even talk to us about it. When the families try to intercede, our mother and the other elders end up not talking to us when we demand answers. He has separated our mother from the family and the other elders from their families.. They won't talk to us about it but we see this constant drain on their finances. These elders are not making their house or utility or car payments because they are broke and that's because they are giving almost all their cash to Ferlin. They even buy cars and give the cars to this guy.  Our mom has given this guy at least 5 cars in the last 10 years and he drives them into the ground and they give him another one, but then they end up failing to make the payments because he takes all their cash, so the loans go bad.  (This is extremely annoying because we only find out about it when mom's bill collectors start harrassing us about it!  She has since learned not ot give her kids phone numbers out as reference numbers because we all refuse to help her.) Unwitting 'assistants' help mom and his other victims deliver the cars to  Ferlin in that mom or other victim elders drive the car up to any of the towns on the Canadian side and meet Ferlin or one of his 'helpers' there. Then the elders call down here looking for a ride home and someone goes up and brings them home. Of course, people are mad about it but we can't get any help about it.

So what is Ferlin doing to these elders that makes it so lucrative for him? Ferlin is a sleazy con-man and has several of the traditional elders believing that he is the only one who can protect them. Ferlin is running an 'indian' medicine man protection racket - He pretends to be a medicine man initially, 'helps' them cure illneses but eventually he has them afraid that he will do bad medicine on their family members. The elders 'know' he has a crew of 'medicine men' who are 'helping' him and the elders are afraid that these unknown bad medicine people will harm their families with bad medicine.  There are no medicine people currently in Fort Hall except for a few Native American Church roadmen. So the elders will reach out to medicine people from other tribes when they need traditional help. Unfortunately they are ripe for the con men too but they are 'unadvertised' victims. You guys should be aware that it's not just twinkies and wannabes that are ripping people off - there is a rich market for INDIAN crooks to rip off traditional INDIAN people too. This gets passed under the table because people don't like to say, "Hey - that guy is a fraud even if he IS indian and only running ceremonies for Indians."  These frauds somehow get 'magical' protection under religious freedom when they are not religious people - they are just con men pretending to be religoius people. 

NOTE: I am not saying anything against REAL healers and helpers.  I am talking about a specific person who is running a scam.

Ferlin has taken advantage of the fact that my husband has been so ill this year. Over the years we have gotten just hints dropped here and there about what is going on...  Mom has said to us, "You don't know medicine ways."  and "He's been 'hit'." [my husband]  (For those how dont' know, 'HIT' means that someone has thrown bad medicine on someone - a curse so to speak.)  So mom and the other elders are afraid of the 'power' of Ferlin to inflict harm on their families if they don't cooperate with him and do whatever he wants.  He manages to find out from these elders how their families are doing and when anyone in their families are sick, he manages to extract even more cash from them.  This slime has it made in the shade running his 'traditional protection racket'. Ferlin has no morals and will take every last thing he can get out of them.

Our mother is 75 years old and has been teaching traditional culture and Bannock language at Sho-Ban jr/sr high. One of her co-workers from the school came to my husband last night at his job and told him about what has been going on.  She said that she was concerned because our mother wanted her to send $1,400 to Canada again and she refused to send it for mom.  Our mother is trying to get other people to send the money for her now because FINALLY, after all these years, the money sending people (Western Union, Walmart, etc.) realize that something is wrong and refuse to send it for her.

Since Western Union refuses to send the money to Canada for her any more, our mother has been trying to get other people to send it for her. Thankfully, her co-workers see what's going on and refuse to send it for her and at least they let us know this is still going on. Our mother has been silent as a clam on this because she knows none of us approve of this and even though we have all told her Ferlin is NOT a medicine man, she believes that Ferlin can help/harm her family and that we don't know anything about medicine ways. (Can I scream now?)

Ferlin is taking advantage of mom because I know that she is very afraid for her eldest son, (My husband) because he has been very, very ill this year and was recently in the hospital again. Mom feels terribly guilty for not doing enough to help her son and knowing mom, she probably told Ferlin that her son was in the hospital with a bad leg infection and Ferlin probably made a very expensive offer that she could not refuse in order to help her son recover. 

Of course, since mom won't talk to us about it, we don't know if Ferlin is pretending to 'heal' my husband or if Ferlin is threatening to make my husband sicker.  One thing we DO know is that Ferlin is always ready to take everything he can get his greedy hands on.

The law thinks the elders are superstitious and should just report it but the traditional elders are so afraid of this guy and the potential harm that can come to their families that they are deathly afraid to make any complaints against him.  Us children can't do a damned thing about it legally until one of them complains about it so all we can do at this point is broadcast that this fraud has been going on for many years and hopefully some legal guys on BOTH sides of the border will start looking into all the money changes/laundering and missing cars and bad debts and such and put FERLIN IN JAIL.

Things that we know Ferlin is doing to our mom and other elders here and wherever he can find a victim:

* Name: Wayne Ferlin Goodrider  (At least we think this is his real name)
* ALias  "Ferlin"
* Blackfoot from Canada
* Gambler - can find him at Hand Game tournaments
* Associate - Marina - Ferlin introduces her as his daughter but we have heard that she is really his wife.
* Money is sent to any of a number of people in Canada who pick it up for Ferlin and they give the cash to him.  We do not know if they do it as a favor to him or if he gives them a cut.
* The money is sent from various money sending places in Pocatello, Blackfoot and now Idaho Falls.  Walmart, Fred Meyers and any other place that will send money.
* This has been so common and for such large amounts that even the money sending places won't send money for mom any more because they know something is wrong so mom has been getting her friends to send the money for her.
* Other elders here in Fort Hall are affected also. We know of 3 others but they don't have the resources that our mom has so Ferlin probably doesn't tap them unless mom is dried up for the year. Those elders are too afraid to say anything against Ferlin and they sneak away to contact him and send him money.
* Ferlin pretends to be a medicine man and has a bundle - we don't know if this is HIS real bundle, something he stole from someone else or if it's something he just made up for his scam.
* Several years ago (around 1998), before we knew he was a con man, Mom brought us to a small ceremony he held here for her son, (My husband) who had recently come down with diabetes. Of course, I was polite during the ceremony but I did not sense spirit in that ceremony - it was empty. But mom believes in him so we said nothing.
* Over the next year we learned that mom had been 'helping' him out with cash. We won't say anything about that to her because as traditional people, we help each other out.
* Ferlin would meet mom in town at various places and she'd give him cash.  I witnessed some of this, but said nothing. Again it is traditional to help people out if they need help.  I did not like the way he waved around mom's money like he was a big shot and pretended to be generous while he was feeding people on her dime.  I thought it was tacky, but said nothing because I don't like to embarrass people.
* Then Ferlins grasping of money became more overt. My husband had set his mom up for life after his dad had died. She had his retirement, social security and some cash in the bank to live on the interest, etc. My husband set her up to make sure she had enough money to live well and be able to travel and do things. But his sister found out that Ferlin had got mom to liquidate her bank assets.  Of course Ferlin made himself scarce when we started asking questions.
* Then mom's bills started bouncing and her house got behind in payments, etc.  We went to the law at that point to try to stop it, but they couldn't do anything until mom signed a complaint and she would not.
* She bought a car and suddenly Ferlin was down here again. Then the car dissappeared and we found that she 'let him drive it' (keep it)
* Because her daughter was complaining about the amount of money mom was giving to Ferlin, Mom bought a trailer in town for and let Ferlin and his 'daughter' live there.
* within a few months, Ferlin had liquidated this asset too.
* Mom bought another car and that one disappeared in a few months - again 'she let Ferlin drive it' (keep it) ON this car, her loan company started calling US about the debt because she gave our number as a relative contact GRRRRRR!
* Then her house burned down. When we were picking through the ashes to find any salvageable items, Mom suddenly had to go to town to buy lunch meat for sandwiches for everyone.  We knew mom was low on cash at that time and were wondering how to house everyone. I went with her and she went to Smiths (now closed) and waited in the parking lot,  then she got on her cell and said, where are you? and hung up.  we drove around the block.  I was wondering what the hell was going on.  She sent me in to buy the food and when I came out, Ferlin was parked next to her in the'let him drive it' car and she was handing him a lot of money in a bank cash envelope.  I walked over to them and just stared at him and I've HATED him ever since.  How DARE he take her last money on the DAY her house burned down!  He knew what I was thinking.  Mom told me to get in the car and we went back to the house. Ferlin was scarce after that but he called her several times a day. We think he was in Canada.  We also thought HE had burned the house down to get the insurance money because later, when the insurance maney came through, mom gave it to that bastard!
* The family tried very hard to stop the money transfers at that point because we knew he was a fraud and a con man but the police wouldn't/couldn't do anything.  In the meantime, everyone from the burned house - sister-in-law, her kids and mom moved over to our house for several months while that place was rebuilt. During that whole time,. we got calls at all hours of the day and night from different people in Canada wanting to talk to mom. She was very 'dark and gloomy' durning this time and walked around with a dark cloud over her head, but she kept on sending money to Ferlin and his Canadian helpers.  We complained and complained to mom about it, - no good.
* that house was rebult it and the family moved back in and guess what?  YEP!  It burned down again in just a month or so!
*  We told the police that we suspected Ferlin's involvement in the fires and they investigated but they could not prove arson so he got away with it and he got away with the insurance money too.
* So  everyone was at our house again. Sister-in-law got tired of the crowded conditions and found a house but mom wouldn't move with her OR stay with us because we complain about Ferlin.
* What did mom do? She moved out to her friends couch.  She's been moving from house to house to house to friends couch to another friends couch to houses with her #3 child to another friends couch back to her #3 daughters house, etc.  for the last several years because she can't afford her own place because she gives everything to Ferlin via his Canadian money laundering friends.
* Ferlin is still extracting money and the law won't stop it!

We just don't know what to do about this any more so we hope that by advertising this CON and FRAUD that he will be stopped by American or Canadian law for fraud, larceny, extortion, theft and tax evasion or SOMETHING! Anything to get rid of this guy! There is DEFINITE pattern of abuse going on here and it is there plain as day if only the law would take their blinders off and look at the money transfer records  but since Ferlin is not an international terrorist against the goverment, he is getting away with it.

We don't know how many elders he is ripping off, but we know of at least 4 here in Fort Hall (including our mom).  I am sure that his greed doesn't just end here.  He is taking advantage of the elders fears for their families and taking every last thing he can get out of them.  Our mom just happened to have a lot of money to extort. The other elders here don't have steady income so they don't pop up as much as she does for the cash hits.

« Last Edit: February 14, 2009, 07:12:49 pm by porkypine »
Get used to it... I CAN NOT type worth a darn.. lol

Offline piya

• I Love YaBB 2!
Hi Porkypine,

If you know this guy is ripping off four Elders, on the Rez, how many other Elders are keeping it to themselves and do they know its not just happenning to them. He has some strong hold over them.

I am going to phone a couple of people on the Rez later, to see if they know anything of him and his ways. I will PM you the response.

Also have you contacted Lori Edmo-Suppah or Roselynn Wahtomy and get it put Rez wide in the Sho-Ban News, maybe this will bring people together.

Hang in there

Steve

To Old To Die Young

Offline porkypine

• Fort Hall, ID
That's an idea, but I don't know if Lori would be willing to publish that in the ShoBan news without hard facts.  WE know it has been going on for several years, but he's slippery and hides behind other people. He has lots of helpers gathering the cash for him. He has been in jail and is adept and getting other people to do his dirty work for him.  The Fort Hall cops in past days know it's going on. Reggie, our brother-in-law, knows it's going on. Pocatello police know it's going on, but until mom or one of the elders stands up and tells the law what's going on, they can't legally do anything about it.  It is incredibly frustrating!  It's like watching someone get beat up and not able to do anything about it! 

More news though since I first posted this.  It may be that Homeland security will stomp Ferlin FINALLY.  maybe.. we can hope..  Why? That lady at the school who was just doing mom a favor?  Well, when she tried to send it to Ferlin's 'drop' in Canada, that 'recipient' person came up as a flag - Homeland Security had that lady come down and tell them what she knows,  Of course, she is just innocent in all this and couldn't tell them much.  She was doing mom a favor.  I don't know who told her to finally come to the family and notify us that this was still going on, or if she just did it on her own... but she came to my husband at his job and told him what was going on.  My husband had to get the family together to meet with her where the lady told us her side.  She said that the woman's name in Canada is flagged.  We told her that lady was just helping Ferlin and that Ferlin is a con man. Homeland Security wanted to know why mom had sent over $5000.00 to Ferlin's accomplices in the last couple of months!  (Damn!  what does it take for them to finally notice Ferlin's activities! This has been going on for years!)

Oh, Ferlin has a daughter here in Fort Hall but he NEVER visits her! She hears he comes through and is sad because he never talks to her.  How do you tell her she is better off not knowing him because her father is a con man? 

I don't know. There is a definite pattern of abuse that has gone on for several years.

They can talk to Elouise and maybe she'll tell them about the annoyance of Ferlins' calls at all hours of the day and night when Mom was camped out on her couch.

We hate it that mom can't stay in one place or pay her bills because of this con man. So, if Lori wants to bust Ferlin out of the dark corners, let her tackle him....  I say GO FOR IT!  Maybe some of the elders will see this and realise they aren't the only ones.

But all Homeland Security has to do is suppoena all the money transfers for the last 10 years from mom to Canada. They can get the records from Fred Meyer's, Walmart, old Smith's in Pocatello, and maybe Ridley's and any of the other transfer places in Pocatello..  Who knows, she's probably tried Blackfoot too until they refused to send for her anymore. They'll find out who Ferlin's favorite helpers 'drops' are on that side and maybe finally stop him.  That one 'drop' came up flagged.  so maybe Ferlin's greed will finally get him caught.

Offline porkypine

• Fort Hall, ID
Well.. The family is trying to write out all that each remembers individually. I learned some stuff that I didn't know went on too. I think Ferlin gets away with this because all mom's kids work differing hours so it is difficult to get us all together in one place to share what we know.  We each have little pieces of what's going on.  My sister-in-law has stuff she's been keeping track of over the years and it has a lot of unsavory stuff in it.  I sent her a copy of what I posted here.

I've told my husband about posting it on Sho-Ban news - he thinks that might be a good thing, if they'll do it, that maybe others will come forward with what they know about this.

Other names he's used here and some names of people who have been helping him over the years..

Wayne 'Ferlin' Goodrider, aka Ghostrider aka Ferlin Towersap  (He isn't a Towersap!)

Some of the names his helpers and associates have used, - Ben Many Goats, Carol Beaverbone, Marina Beaverbone. 

I also found out that Dude (Robert) Perry, the guy who started up that medicinemanforhire.com scam several years ago, had a hand in helping Ferlin when the family tried to get power of attorney over mom trying to prevent the financial hemmorage.  Dude took her to some unknown authority in New Mexico to evaluate her mantal faculties.  This 'unknown' person said mom is of sound mind which prevented us from using the law to protect her and her assets. We don't know who that 'authority' was or what his qualifications are.  Anyway, he and Devon were involved in preventing us from getting powere of attorney. Also, Dude is a Roadman and he tried to get mom free of Ferlin's clutches but only so he could use her funds for his own purposes. Mom stayed with his family for awhile.  Dude has a felony record also and has often skimmed cash off of mom.  But he's small potatoes compared to Ferlin.

Some guy named "Al Smith", that Ferlin found for her, who was supposed to have done with work on repairing her home (after the second fire) did some substandard work and when questioned by the tribes about Tero violations and lack of payment to his employes, 'Al' absconded with the repair money.  Is Al Smith in Seattle now?

Vehicles:
in 1998 Red Pontiac Firebird
in 1999 dark green Grand Prix
in 1998 a blue Buick Riviera
in 2004 a brown Ford Explorer
2000 a light green Ford Escort
2005 a silver Grand Prix

She also purchased a trailer home in Chubbuck around 1999 for his use. It was later respossessed for failure to pay taxes.  Along with that trailer, furniture was rented for it and that was sold illegally -

This list just goes on and on. Ferlin has even tried to get mom to sell her land.  Anyway.  I'll be back when I gather more info...

Ferlin has a criminal record - felony grand theft, felony fraud,  and other related nefarious activities. He claims to have spiritual power and offers to help people who request it. The family believes that Ferlin Goodrider has taken undue unreasonable advantage of that 'medicine man' claim and is making ridiculous, outrageous and incredible requirements of mom in exchange for spiritual help.

« Last Edit: February 20, 2009, 04:13:43 pm by porkypine »

Offline educatedindian

• Administrator
I found him listed under Ferlin Goodrider as having divorced Andrea Gatrado in Pinellas, Florida. Don't know if that's of any use, but sometimes exes will help, esp if they are owed spousal support. The courts will ask why hasn't any of that money gone to her.
http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?gl=allgs&gsfn=Andrea&gsln=Gatrado&gss=seo&ghc=20

As Wayne Goodrider he was wanted in Utah on bad check charges 16 years ago.

http://archive.deseretnews.com/archive/238095/ROOSEVELT-POLICE-SEEK-SUSPECT-IN-BAD-CHECK-SCAM.html
Roosevelt police are seeking information on a man wanted for issuing thousands of dollars in bad checks to local businesses.

Police Chief Cecil Gurr said that Ferlin Wayne Goodrider, 37, of Deer Lodge, Mont., is wanted on several bad-check charges in Roosevelt as well as other areas."This guy is a real scam artist. He sets up everyone in a little row and then is set to mow them all down," said Gurr.

Police say Goodrider opens checking accounts with a minimum amount, assuring the bank he'll return later with a large deposit. With counter checks in hand, he then drives to a nearby city and purchases goods with the checks after banks are closed so his account cannot be verified.

Gurr said the suspect targets businesses with items he can easily resell, such as jewelry.

Offline kosowith

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Too bad he is not in the State pen there in Deer Lodge

Offline porkypine

• Fort Hall, ID
Yep.  That's him.  We believe he's sticking on the Canadian side... But that border isn't stopping his money harvesting.

Offline Tsu Dho Nimh

Porkypine -
  Check your state's laws, and check with the state attorney general for laws concerning "abuse of a vulnerable adult", "elder abuse", and similar laws.  This situation is what those laws are good for. Also check with the Canadian provincial government: it sounds like he's running the equivalent of the "Gypsy Curse" racket and they might be able to whap him for something up there.

Implying that he has the means to cause harm to them or their loved ones is extortion - regardless of the means of harm.

Offline dabosijigwokush

this is what i found on famly and friends
January 12, 2007

Earl Dan
   FORT HALL - Earl Morse Dan, 36, passed away Sunday, December 17, 2006,
 at his home.
   He was born April 8, 1970, to Art and Delberta (Miller) Dan in Pocatello,
 Idaho.  Earl grew up in Fort Hall, Idaho.
   His hobbies were fishing, hunting, drawing, traveling, and spending time
 with his nieces and nephew and friends.  He also enjoyed listening to
 peyote, country and powwow music.  His favorite sport was bull riding.  He
 entered a few events in the Shiprock, New Mexico areas.
   Earl will be remembered mostly as a loving brother, son, uncle, cousin,
 nephew and his devoted nature toward his grandmother.
   He is survived by his sister, Zelberta D. Martin, Fort Hall, half-sister,
 Alisha Dan, father and step-mother, Art (Susie) Dan, all of Shiprock, New
 Mexico; grandmothers, Josephine Miller, Loris Peshlakai, Jeannetta
 Buckskin, Minerva and Iva Lee Osborne, all of Fort Hall, grandfathers;
 Vincent Ponzo and Pete Buckskin, both of Fort Hall, Little Dan, Shiprock,
 New Mexico; aunts, Aurelia Moemberg, Delthea M. Smith, Marlene Duran,
 Flora Buckskin and Lenora Hall, all of Fort Hall, Olivia Dan, Helen Dan,
 Shirley Dan and Cecelia Dan, all of Shiprock, New Mexico; uncles, Earl
 Conklin, Battle Mountain, Nevada, Ferlin Good Rider III, Alberta, Canada,
 Wilson Wewa, Warm Springs, Oregon, Ernest Dan, Harrison Dan, Junior Dan
 and Kirby Dan, all of Shiprock, New Mexico; niece, Loulonda Martin and
 nephew, Shawn Martin, both of Shiprock, New Mexico; cousins, Debbie
 Pabawena, Lori, Linda, Sam, Curtis and Gayland Smith, all of Fort Hall,
 Idaho.
   He was preceded in death by his mother, Delberta M. Dan; a brother,
 Erickson Dan; grandfathers, Timothy Miller and Green Leaf Miller; aunt,
 Josephine Tindore; great grandparents, Frank and Dora Ponzo.
   Earl was at the Mission Church, Friday, December 22, at 10 a.m. until
 the time of the service.  A traditional burial service was at 2 p.m.
 Saturday, December 23, 2006, at the Cedars Cemetery.
   Arrangements were under the direction of Colonial Funeral Home, 2005 S.
 4th Ave., Pocatello.  Online condolences may be sent to www.colonial-
 funeralhome.com <http://www.colonial-funeralhome.com/>

Offline dabosijigwokush

and some more

March 20, 2003

Leon Harvey (Lonnie) Iron Shirt
   LEON HARVEY (LONNIE) IRON SHIRT passed on to be with the Lord in Heaven,
 on Friday, March 14, 2003 at the age of 29 years.
   Leon is the beloved husband of Amanda North Peigan and father of Brent,
 Megan, Michael, Johnny, Byron, Mathew, Nadine and their unborn child. He
 is also survived by his mother, Myrna (Philip) Red Young Man; two
 brothers: Eldon (Ellen) Iron Shirt and Alfred (Debra) Iron Shirt; two
 sisters: Stephanie (Wade) Iron Shirt and Melody (Cody) Iron Shirt; his
 step brothers: Darren, William and Martin (Teddie); his step sisters:
 Melissa and Arnetta (Tom); his special grandmother Margaret Plain Eagle;
 numerous uncles, aunts, nephews, nieces and cousins.
   Leon was predeceased by his father, Harvey Plain Eagle; his grandparents,
 Alfred and Clara Iron Shirt; his grandpa, Gary Good Rider; foster mother,
 Ida Yellow Horn; his sister, Levi Kim Iron Shirt; his uncle, John Iron
 Shirt and his aunt, Evelyn Ryder.
   A Wake Service will be held at the home of Leon and Amanda Iron Shirt,
 Piikani Nation, on Wednesday, March 19, 2003 beginning at 1:00 p.m. and
 continuing Thursday, March 20, 2003. The Funeral Service will be held at
 the Piikani Community Hall on Friday, March 21, 2003 at 11:00 a.m. with
 Rev. Freddie Bull Calf officiating. Interment in Brocket Cemetery.

Copyright c. 2000 Alberta Newspaper Group, Inc./Lethbridge Herald.

Offline educatedindian

• Administrator
I received a series of messages from someone who knew about Goodrider in pretty extensive detail. I received permission to repost portions of these messages, altered at some points to protect their identity.

-------------

[Goodrider] visited Kamloops in 2004, wrecked a marriage, cleaned out a bank account (or two), stole paintings off a wall.

In 2006, he was pulled over in a routine spot check in Fort Hall, was found to be driving a stolen car...he has a Soc. Sec. No. so while he has status on the Blood Reserve, he is also american.

Claims a Harvard Law degree (I called Harvard, they said no), also claims he did 1 1/2 tours in 'Nam, Special Ops. I doubt it. Says he was an officer, but...clearly lacks appropriate education. He wore dogtags, but left Kamloops without them. They read "Jay Good Rider". He claimed to have PTSD, but this only emerged AFTER he watched a video about it.

[There was a ] Park Ranger Report of defrauding an interpretive center of $1400 and driving stolen vehicles...

Used to claim Wallace Black Elk was his real father.

Has partner and youngest daughter lives on Sunchild/O'Chiese.

Two daughters at Fort Hall, but claimed he was raised at Browning after grandparents shipped him from Rosebud.

[There are some ] people embarassed and ashamed to press charges, especially when they were motivated by greed, a. He said he had given 10 years of his live to Medicine, but would be "giving up" his bundle on his youngest daughter's birthday.

This woman adopted him as Brother, and gifted him. After her nephew won the band election and became chief, he moved into her house. She and her husband gave him money, then eventually the husband left, they were to marry (a buckskin dress was commissioned for the event, but never paid for leaving the dressmaker with a $400 investment in the hides) He then cleaned out her bank account, ran up an $800 phonebill on her calling card. When she wouldn't give him any more money, he stole two numbered prints off her walls and sold them.

[Someone] gave him a swan whistle, he presented it as Eagle. He would buy pawnshop pipes and present them.. He makes a BIG deal about how he NEVER asks for money, and doesn't want it, unless it's wrapped up in a red cloth.

His energy and his Medicine is big, dark, and ugly...
....he also uses sleep deprivation to wear his marks down, his ceremonies run very late, then he will make some time-consuming demand first thing in the morning, then run another ceremony late into the night ...

He is also very touchy, and abusive. He will verbally beat people up while making a prayer. He carries medicine, but it's pretty ugly stuff.
He was trying to get on reserve, and close to councill. He would make a big deal about how he wouldn't accept money UNLESS it came wrapped in red cloth. But that didn't stop him from accepting.... On his jaunt to Alberta, [X] had to wire him some money, US funds, to FERLIN GOODRIDER. He claimed that this was somebody who was receiving the money on his behalf. I also had to deposit $100 into a bank account, money that he claimed he owed somebody,....

...he made the tobacco tie, then sprayed it with medicine in a glass bottle, special stuff, he said. Well, I look at that bottle one day. It was factory sealed Calvin Klein.

[He had someone] make him a rattle. ...[said]to just use a salt shaker and cover it with cloth and that it would work fine.... he really loved it, used it the whole time....after Christmas, he was being asked to doctor a young woman who was being brought in from another reserve and was quite nervous about it. He borrowed one feather (he didn't have a fan), a small cross, and a whistle that he had. He told me that it was an eaglebone whistle, but it was really a swan whistle,

... his "bundle"  was a leather bag ... In it was the whistle ...and the "rattle" ... nothing sacred.

....all the doctoring ... it all had to be undone and put right ...the only medicine he seems to carry is the medicine of the women he aligned with.

Offline educatedindian

• Administrator
These newspaper clippings from 1988 show that he does have at least two criminal convictions in the U.S.

On Google:  "Ferlin Good Rider"
In the first clipping, his name is recorded as FERLIN W. GOOD RIDER
In the second clipping, as FERLIN WAYNEDEL GOOD RIDER

In the first clipping, he is an alleged eyewitness to the murder in a motel of Austin Battiest. Good Rider is quoted as saying he was almost killed in Spokane County Jail over being IDd as a witness. In the second article, the charges were dropped against the alleged murderer, Merlyn Lee Marceau, because Good Rider refused to identify them in court.  

This is the link for the initial story: Murder Witness Fears Retaliation
http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1345&dat=19880816&id=ELgSAAAAIBAJ&sjid=2vkDAAAAIBAJ&pg=5114,67263

The follow up:  Suspect Free After Foul-up On Witness
http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1314&dat=19880604&id=9CYSAAAAIBAJ&sjid=6O8DAAAAIBAJ&pg=6027,1433241

The first link also shows Goodrider was subsequently arrested as a federal fugitive after an unescorted tranfer from a Minnesota prison to a Missoula halfway house was never completed.  He was arrested by US Marshalls at the Blackfeet Reserve and given a six month sentence.

ETA to add:
There is a Wilton Goodrider which one account likely mistook for Ferlin Goodrider. It's not certain yet if they are related.