Author Topic: Yet another Southern Indiana "Sundance"  (Read 23857 times)

Offline Keely

Re: Yet another Southern Indiana "Sundance"
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2009, 08:12:30 pm »
Why does there have to be so much anger in some of the posts around here when it seems the angriest are from people that don't know the people that they're angry about? Seems strange to me, and it makes me sad.

I am not angry... I know Charles Chipps and I know what he does, I like him as a person but I dont agree with him selling out his culture.
The same goes for Leonard....

I dont know the White Face guy, and dont approve of him being called "chief"

I dont approve of ceremonies being taken far from the people they belong to.

I dont approve of taking money for ceremony.

yes there are issues that do many me angry... but this has not been one of them  :)

Offline Cetan

• Hoka Hey
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2009, 06:52:53 pm »
There is not anger here, just questionng.  Since Evans is a full blood, if he has had the vision he has the right to run a Sundance, I just question why not back home.  And it is true that many like Charles Chipps and Leonard Crow Dog do questionable things, the best quote I ever heard about Leonard is "he is a good medicine man but a bad man". And my knowlege of him comes from close friends who are related to Leonard and used to hang with him back in the day. 

Offline Sober Native

« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2009, 08:53:37 am »
There is not anger here, just questionng.  Since Evans is a full blood, if he has had the vision he has the right to run a Sundance, I just question why not back home.  And it is true that many like Charles Chipps and Leonard Crow Dog do questionable things, the best quote I ever heard about Leonard is "he is a good medicine man but a bad man". And my knowlege of him comes from close friends who are related to Leonard and used to hang with him back in the day. 

Cetan, I agree with you for the most part.  However, it's not my belief that either of these men are "bad."  Alcohol will lead many a good person astray.  It is a HUGE affliction of our people.  It doesn't matter if you're red, white, black, purple or green ... the bondage of alcohol is deadly ... and maybe more so if you're native.  Alcohol impedes the ability to make good choices and use good judgment ... and that's putting it mildly.

Offline earthw7

• Standing Rock Tourism
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2009, 02:03:28 pm »
So are you saying that these two men drink?

I also know both of them and would agree
good medicine man but bad men.

They have caused disgraced to our people.

Back to the reason of the post, no sundance should
be done in area where there are no lakota/dakota
people, second no white/black or yellows should be allowed in the dances
In Spirit

Offline Keely

« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2009, 03:50:52 pm »
So are you saying that these two men drink?

I also know both of them and would agree
good medicine man but bad men.

They have caused disgraced to our people.

Back to the reason of the post, no sundance should
be done in area where there are no lakota/dakota
people, second no white/black or yellows should be allowed in the dances

I am sorry this is happening to your people earth..

Offline Keely

« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2009, 11:31:46 pm »
Charles Chipps and his family have been mentioned a number of times on here. Here are some of the threads:

http://www.newagefraud.org/smf/index.php?topic=1453
http://www.newagefraud.org/smf/index.php?topic=1026.msg14626#msg14626
http://www.newagefraud.org/smf/index.php?topic=574.msg2928#msg2928
http://www.newagefraud.org/smf/index.php?topic=1245.msg13646#msg13646

Thanks... I met Charles many years ago, I was introduced to him by a woman who lived across the street from me, she claimed that she was Oglala, and her Uncle was Charles Chipps. Later, Charles asked me if I knew how he and this woman knew each other, I said "Sure, your her uncle" he laughed, said no, that he used to date her, he said "She aint even Indian!" I felt bad because I thought she was my friend, and a friend wouldnt lie.. ha did I have a lot to learn!

Charles bragged to me about how much money he made doing sweats and sundances, I was mortified at the idea, I had never heard of doing such a thing, the year was 1989 and I had not heard of the world wide web.. Charles asked me if I wanted to help him do some stuff in Germany... Germay!? I told him in no way would I do such, I did not wish to bring bad jeu-jeues to my family. Well Charles helped the woman across the street from me put up a sweat lodge where she had mixed sex sweats, she asked me to come, and I flat out said NO! You dont mix sweats like that! She laughed... I told her it was bad...

Since then. Charles has lost a brother in a car accident, and his niece in a car accident, I hear a couple of other family members died early but I dont know, the woman who had the mixed sweats died, yes.. bd things are happening.. and I stay far away...

« Last Edit: February 13, 2014, 02:17:13 am by Kathryn »

Offline Defend the Sacred

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2009, 04:04:00 am »
Godfrey and other members of his family came to New England in the early nineties (or late '80s? I'm not sure of the date as I only heard about this after the fact). They did yuwipi and inipi ceremonies for groups of non-Natives, and invited some of the nons to come back to Pine Ridge with them for sundance season.  A (white) member of my extended family and her girlfriend went with them. They lived with Godfrey and Charles' family for a summer on Pine Ridge and attended a number of ceremonies. There are details of what went on there that are relevant, and confirm what other critics have said, but I feel it's her story to tell, not mine.

I also know of frauds operating in the Pacific Northwest - white people who run fake inipis - who say they were taught by the Chipps family.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2014, 02:18:21 am by Kathryn »

Offline capunka

« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2009, 06:08:57 am »
I wonder who "first lady" April is; when I knew him his wife was a Dine woman named Deanna (or something like that). I also wonder about Sundances that advertise on public internet sites.

They are not yet married. His former wife was Dianna. She left him and moved away.

Offline Cetan

• Hoka Hey
« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2016, 05:16:41 pm »