General > Research Needed

Manuel Rendon AKA Manny Twofeathers

<< < (3/4) > >>

educatedindian:
Hello Annmarie,

It certainly is strange that a teacher would use a student's account. It's even stranger, and certainly inappropriate, that a teacher would be so intimately involved in defending an exploiter like Manuel Rendon. What high school is this? What do you teach?

For a teacher, you have misread quite a few things. We have offered nothing but sympathy for the Rendon family, tried to understand what she has gone through, and urged more understanding of the issue from her. Instead you choose to misinterpret what we say, seemingly deliberately.

If you understood this issue within Native communities, or even if you had read the entire thread, you would see that Manuel Rendon no longer claimed to be Yaqui, but instead claimed to be only "Aztec", for the last few years of his life in his adverstising for his seminars. The Indians of central Mexico descended from Aztecs today commonly call themselves Nahua, and those calling themselves "Aztec" tend to be Mexicans of likely but unknown Indian ancestry. Was he a member of any of the Yaqui communities in Arizona or Sonora? We saw no sign of that. Was he ever a member of a Nahua community in Mexico? We never found any sign of that. And none of what he taught had any resemblance to Yaqui or Nahua belief or tradition. If so, why go around teaching his own version of Lakota traditions? Oriona certainly seemed to hint strongly in her post that Rendon was not Yaqui, but it may just be poor wording of her defense of her father teaching ceremony he had no right to.

Again, I wonder at the appropriateness of you defending an exploiter at length when you have many Native students and a Native community that mostly is strongly opposed to such exploitation. There are right and wrong ways to help students, and such involvement as yours would raise some ethical concerns. It's certainly commendable to comfort a student whose parent has passed on, but to defend her exploiter father is akin to defending the illegal activities of a student's father who was an exconvict. I hope you see the distinction. In either case, Id' say we should urge the student to understand why their parent was the way they were, but we would not defend that parent's actions.

Cetan:
Well I just found out that his "Sundance" is still going on in PA, I knew smeone who went there the first year and they sang songs in English, which was pretty much all I needed to hear. And there is a $150 camping fee for supporters

earthw7:
it never end the abuse of culture by people think they have the right

Oriona:
Actually that information is incorrect, there has never been, nor will there every be charge for this ceremony or any kind of 'camping fee'. There were some people going behind the Chief and telling their supporters they had to pay, this has since been rectified and those people asked to leave and not return.

Smart Mule:
AnnMarie, Oriana states on her blog that she's 22 and in uni.  Are you the same AnnMarie that works at FFSS?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version