Author Topic: Need input on finding liniage  (Read 9349 times)

Offline wolfjumper41

Need input on finding liniage
« on: January 13, 2009, 02:02:04 pm »
Hello,

i am trying hard to find my husband's father's family but i ran in to a snag.  I only have my father in law's "whiteman" name since it was my understanding that he took the name when he left the tribe.  the understanding is that hubby's dad was full cherokee.  I can only get as far as his WWII registery and then it stops.

any suggestions?

Thank you!

Offline wolfhawaii

Re: Need input on finding liniage
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2009, 02:25:15 pm »
That is not really the kind of research done on THIS site. try GENWEB or ROOTSWEB, etc. Having researched Cherokee subjects for a number of years I can say that my gut tells me something is off in the story......research the name you have, that is the starting point and clear your mind of stereotypes.

Offline earthw7

• Standing Rock Tourism
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2009, 05:20:13 pm »
too funny
No one leave the tribe
In Spirit

Offline Defend the Sacred

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2009, 07:36:36 pm »
too funny

... am I the only one struggling not to make a joke about running into a snag?

Sorry. Yeah, not the place. I'll go elsewhere for bad jokes.

I only have my father in law's "whiteman" name since it was my understanding that he took the name when he left the tribe.

Geez, I misread this. I thought you were saying his name was "Whiteman." Lots of leads there. But I guess you mean he had a name in English, that didn't mention animals or wind...

Sorry, I shouldn't be so snarky. I'll shut up now.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2009, 03:31:52 pm by Kathryn NicDh? na »

Offline Dreamfish

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2009, 01:34:39 am »
Please, please can I adopt the name "Snarky Wind Snag"?

I love that name!

Offline Defend the Sacred

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2009, 01:40:47 am »
"Snarky Wind Snag"?

Uh oh...  Now you've done it. You have just earned yourself a ticket to that thread. And let's all hope the snag was not named "Past Wind".
« Last Edit: January 16, 2009, 03:24:29 am by Kathryn NicDh? na »

Offline BlackWolf

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2009, 04:00:15 am »
I agree that something’s really off in Wolfjumper41’s story, and I have come across my fair share of people who claim Cherokee ancestry, but aren’t members of any of the three federally Recognized Cherokee tribes, and/or don’t have tribal connections.  (I lost count a long time ago)  Most have mysterious Cherokee ancestors who walked off the Trail of Tears,  hid in the woods, left the tribe, or were adopted by whites, etc.  There always seems to be a full blood grandparent in there.  A lot of them will give themselves bogus names that sound more like the names of Lakotas and plains Indians then they do Cherokee.  Florida seems to be overrun by these folks.

Many of these New Agers go to these Wannabe Powwows and so called Native American events (especially in Florida), and they walk around in buckskin, and play flutes, and light sage and try to act all wise, and they really think they are Cherokee!  This is really insulting for true Cherokee people.  (Cherokees don’t powwow by the way) And they all seem to be clueless about anything that is truly related to Cherokee people.  You and your husband aren’t part of that crowd are you Wolfjumper41?

Anyways, Wolfjumper, you can check the Dawes Roll which is the basis for tribal enrollment for the Cherokee Nation of Oklahoma. Taken in the Cherokee Nation between 1898-1906. Wolfjumper, your going to have to use your father in laws’ WHITE MAN’S name though, haha. 

http://www.archives.gov/genealogy/tutorial/dawes/

And you can also check the Baker Roll which is the basis of tribal enrollment for the Eastern Band of Cherokee Indians. 

http://www.accessgenealogy.com/native/baker.php

There’s also a few other Cherokee rolls like the Siler Roll, Drennen roll, etc.

Wolf Jumpler41, just wondering?  What Native American inspired Arts and Crafts do you make related to Cherokees?  You say you make War Bonnets?  If your making Native inspired Arts and Crafts and that has to do with your husband’s’s alleged Cherokee ancestry, then why are you making War Bonnets?  Cherokees didn’t  use war bonnets.

Offline LittleOldMan

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2009, 10:27:58 am »
when I started to research my  family history I ran into many roadblocks  three to four generations back.  I found many  families that I was related to uncles cousins as yet no direct lineal descent.  Both Cherokee,Creek, and Choctaw.  I found that when these relations started to accept me as one of theirs then the desire to either become a card carrier left me.  Sure it would be nice to be able to prove the lineage but I have found it to be unnecessary for friendship or social interaction.  Key here is patience.  I never dress as something that I am not,  claim something that I can not prove, or most important try to push myself into places that I am not wanted.  One will be watched for a time and if your character proves true you will be invited in.  Just my experience.  Oh also learn the concept of respect understanding this concept and it's correct use is paramount. Without it you will forever be locked out. "LittleOldMan"
Blind unfocused anger is unproductive and can get you hurt.  Controlled and focused anger directed tactically wins wars. Remember the sheath is not the sword.