Author Topic: Army unveils Light Utility Helicopter UH-72A Lakota  (Read 8700 times)

Offline AlessandroItaly

• Indians are people!
    • Nativi Americani.it
Army unveils Light Utility Helicopter UH-72A Lakota
« on: December 19, 2006, 02:18:58 pm »
COLUMBUS, Miss. (Army News Service, Dec. 11, 2006) - Gen. Richard A. Cody, Vice Chief of Staff of the Army, and Joe RedCloud, a chief of the Oglala Sioux Tribe, Lakota Nation, accepted the Army's first Lakota Light Utility Helicopter, UH-72A, in a ceremony here today. The Army has a long-standing tradition of using American Indian names, such as terms, tribes and chiefs for its helicopters. In the case of the Lakota aircraft, the linkage is between the Lakota legacy as stalwart defenders of their homeland and the nature of the aircraft's intended domestic missions.
"We're pleased that you honor our tribe by naming this helicopter Lakota. You are not only honoring our past, you are recognizing that we are still here, joint partners in the heritage of the promise of America." RedCloud told the audience.

Uhmm.. my question is: is truly one good thing for the Lakota nation this? Lakota people are happy? There is true honor? From what I know Joe RedCloud is not the president of the Oglala Nation. Native People share its thought? Please write me your opinions, I am not a Native American but think that is not one good thing the name "Lakota" for this new helicopters, and the names Apache, Comanche, Iroqui and similar used before this..if it is truly an honor, I would want to know your opinions…and I would want to know if there are contrary opinions ...

Offline educatedindian

• Administrator
Re: Army unveils Light Utility Helicopter UH-72A Lakota
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2006, 03:42:49 pm »
Most Lakota probably don't know about this. My guess is that most NDNs don't think this is an honor, but aren't deeply offended about it like they are with sports mascots. It's more like naming jeeps Cherokee or recreational vehicles Winnebago.
The San Carlos Apaches did kind of give their blessing to the Apache Longbow helicopter, but only after an agreement to build it partly on their rez. The ceremony was more like a prayer that the soldiers using it would be kept safe and that a machine named after Apaches would not dishonor Apaches.

Offline AlessandroItaly

• Indians are people!
    • Nativi Americani.it
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2006, 04:08:59 pm »
Thanks Al, ..but Joe RedCloud, Chief of the Oglala Sioux Tribe, can conveniently speak in representation about all Lakota people? My question is because in the Italian forum http://pub10.bravenet.com/forum/795583276/show/938992
I have written my doubts approximately the honor of this name for the new helicopter UH-72A, and the answers assert in the presence and support of Joe Red Cloud the more frequent justification in order to say that the all Native American are in agreement with the chosen name for the new helicopter, arriving to throw to me outside from the forum. Sure, I think that this argument is not to the center of the problems for Lakota and Native people, but I would want to know however if contrary opinions exist so as to to be able to demonstrate in this forum that this name is not a great honor, and that my opinion is shared also from Native people.

Offline Mo

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2006, 07:47:41 pm »
well i don't consider it an honor to have things named after us like that. but then again we don't have a helicopter..we got carpeting. is that better than having flatware named after you? (oneida)
actually i'm more concerned with just "whom" that helicopter will be used on domestically.

Mo (mohawk)

Offline AndreasWinsnes

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2007, 11:42:10 pm »
I can not see any reason why Apaches should support attack choppers used by occupying euro-americans. Can someone please enlighten me?
« Last Edit: April 05, 2007, 03:00:59 pm by AndreasWinsnes »