Author Topic: Chippewa and/or Ojibwa and Mohawk?  (Read 10901 times)

Offline Ganieda

• Chaos, panic and disorder, my work here is done.
Chippewa and/or Ojibwa and Mohawk?
« on: May 07, 2006, 11:34:21 pm »
As far as I can tell, by searching, the Chippewa and Ojibwa (please pardon my ignorance of the spelling as it shows up in various ways) are the same people???? ? Yes??? Please correct me if I am wrong.

My question, tho, is this: ? are the Chippewa and/or Ojibwa in any way connected to the Mohawk? ? And does someone who claims Mohawk descent have the right to follow and teach the traditions and teachings of the Chippewa and/or Ojibwa?
*May the Sun warm your Heart, The Moon light your Path and Sacred Mother Earth embrace and protect you always.*

Offline 180IQ

• The Caretaker
  • I never sleep
Re: Chippewa and/or Ojibwa and Mohawk?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2006, 02:15:12 am »
The terms "Chippewa" and "Ojibwe" were applied by non-Indians to the Anishinabe people. Mohawk are a separate nation.

Offline Scott Brainard

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2006, 11:07:29 pm »
A common notion is that the names Chippewa and Ojibwe (or Ojibwa) resulted from differences in the ways that French traders and Englishmen interpreted the name of the Anishinaabe people.  Not sure how true that is, but the names are often used interchangeably.

Offline Raven_Walkingstick

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2006, 01:29:27 pm »
In Michigan most call themselves Anishinaabe, in Wisconsin it is Chippewa and in Minnesota it is Ojibwa.