Author Topic: Seminole Resolution with Fla. State for it's use of Indian Mascot  (Read 3882 times)

Offline White Horse

Here is a copy of the actual signed resolution the Seminole Tribe made with Florida State University.  I hope everyone notices it only allows the use of the "Head Logo" as currently endorsed by Florida State University.  The Seminole Tribal Council also extends and invitation to Florida State University and it's officials to continue their relationship and to collaborate on the development of Logos and Nicknames that all members of the Seminole Tribe of Florida and officials and students of Florida State University can be proud of.   

I would like to point out the FACT that this does NOT cover the toma-hawk chop, the Indian that dresses in Red Face and throws a spear that was set on fire, and the chants that the Non-Seminole students at Florida State University practice!

Please print off this resolution and use it when other school with Indian mascots try to hide behind that fact the Seminole Tribe was okay with how they portray Indians and the fact unless they are using a Seminole Head Logo the Seminole Tribe did Not approve what they are doing!

Sal Serbin
Executive Director
American Indian Movement of Florida
Living that life, some consider a Myth!

Offline milehighsalute

Re: Seminole Resolution with Fla. State for it's use of Indian Mascot
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2016, 06:55:56 pm »
well utah utes also recieve royalties and have a working relationship with the 3 ute tribes

the north dakota fighting sioux didnt even try to extend an olive branch......my opinion is if the seminole are ok with it i cant say otherwise

Offline White Horse

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2016, 04:29:34 pm »
my opinion is if the seminole are ok with it i cant say otherwise

I live in Florida and as we struggle in Florida to get rid of Indian mascots, people use this same Seminole agreement to justify their racists actions, unless they claim they are against anything P/C.

This agreement ONLY covers the use of the word "Seminole" the Head Logo and Chief Osceola for Educational purposes.  This does Not include the use of Warriors, Indians, Braves, Chiefs, Redskins, ect... and the tribal traditions these schools and/or teams have invented and the general public thinks are actual Native Traditions.  Please go up to a non-Native stranger and simply ask "what is a Native American Tradition?' I have and was very unhappy with the responses I received, I even went up to Florida State University and asked some students what is a Seminole Tradition and they ALL did the toma-hawk chop.     

Politicians, lawyers, school boards, school principals, school  administrators, students, alumni, and media, use this agreement to justify their Indian mascots despite the fact they are not using what is listed in the agreement.  Florida State is also guilty of these violations as their toma-hawk chop, chants, the use of red face, and the fact every Florida State student, faculty and alumni are self-identifying them selves as Seminole Indians.  Now if the Seminole tribe would make everyone that attends, works at Florida State University a tribal member and give them a monthly per capita check .  I would not have a problem with that at all! 

Again, I posted the agreement so anyone that actually gets out there and has conversations about Indian mascots can prove what the Seminole tribe actually agreed to, and that unless they are not Florida State University the agreement does Not cover their school and/or team.     
Living that life, some consider a Myth!

Offline milehighsalute

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2016, 09:09:42 pm »
yes....i saw the agreement........but i want to know if there is any outrage from the seminoles? if so then i back them up....lets get this party started....BUT then again if they are cool with it i am no one to say otherwise............i am not seminole

hey did you know aaron two-elk? he was leading the charge on all of this years ago