Author Topic: The Myths of Being Native  (Read 11073 times)

Offline earthw7

• Standing Rock Tourism
Re: The Myths of Being Native
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2014, 02:51:04 pm »
Spiders are the plains trickster
In Spirit

Offline earthw7

• Standing Rock Tourism
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2014, 02:36:28 pm »
I would that the Dakota-Lakota-Nakota are the ONLY people who have the story of the
White Buffalo Calf Woman.
We don't worship white buffalo our stories say that the White Buffalo Calf women will return
as a buffalo but she will turn four colors before she leaves us. The only one that i know of
that did that was the one born in Janeville.
In Spirit

Offline koyoteh

• Yaqui and MesoAmerican
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2014, 10:50:09 pm »
not that its the same lady, but i often wonder sometimes how many of our stories are similar. Even when the stories change drastically, a lot of times the character stays the same.

for instance, mesoamerican descndants, we have stories of the lady in white.

but the story changes so many times.

This lady often appeared to the natives , especially in certain spots. WHen the church came they decided to use it to convert the people , or one of the native medicine men did in order to keep the peoplle from being persecuted further, ...anyhow....
This lady who kept appearing , supposedly and earth mother spirit kept appearing to all the natives in a certain spot. Till one day she appeared dressed as the Virgin Mother Mary. She told the poeple to fake being catholic so the children may live, but to never forget who she really was and not to be fooled by the clothes.

besides the conversion story, this lady appeared all over the americas but without converting. Just an earth mother spirit.

another story mixes the spirit story with the Malinche or Malintzin who was captured by enemy natives, then recaptured by cortes, and  forced to be his interpreter.
but another story says she willing led cortes to her enemies doors, and betraying all the mesoamerican natives.
in other words she betrayed her 'children'.

then this story turned into "La llorona" . the lady who one day killed her children and herself because her man cheated on her and left her.
Now she walks around in white ready to take peoples children into the spirit world.

crazy how a nice lady in white story , full of prophecy or spirituality , from natives by natives, gets turned into a horror story by the colonists.

so another MYTH
place locations such as THE DEVILS LAKE , as one Esh'tok elder told me, are anything but related to a devil. The colonists would rename sacred sites with a "Devil" label just because they were associated with native beliefs.

sorry, don't mean to say white buffalo calf woman is the same.

Offline koyoteh

• Yaqui and MesoAmerican
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2014, 01:44:17 am »
serious question:
does whatever i wrote on this thread sound offensive in any way?

Offline earthw7

• Standing Rock Tourism
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2014, 02:05:43 pm »
no it dont sound offensive :D
In Spirit