Author Topic: Netskins, pretendians, and others who troll the web  (Read 8098 times)

Offline Atehequa

Netskins, pretendians, and others who troll the web
« on: August 02, 2012, 01:01:00 am »
Has anyone else here ever heard or read of a person who goes by the name of
Painted Wolf ? She or he frequents on one board under the name painted wolf and I suspect a few others under different names on others, but having almost the same persona, either a minute bit of Cherokee, or else Haudenosaunee  ancestry. Sometimes none at all. Always claiming to hail from around the same area. Although he or she attempts to display a vast knowledge of Indian culture, spirituality and seemingly important issues, but is not a member of, nor affiliated with any federally recognized tribe. What’s troubling, this person goes on to feed other non Indians misconceptions of Indian culture and spirituality. Whether it is a profitable venture for this person, I do not know. Maybe new age books, expensive sessions, or an employed source of misleading information. Becomes very put off when questioned on his or her information or fallacies.

Offline Smart Mule

• Administrator
Re: Painted Wolf ?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2012, 04:52:02 pm »
Would this person happen to be from New Hampshire?

Offline Atehequa

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2012, 10:28:42 pm »
Ahhh, you've heard of this person, eh ?

Offline Smart Mule

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2012, 12:08:03 am »
I don't know her but I do know of her if it is the same person.  Last I knew she was a paleontology major. Is she now selling ceremony?  If so do yo have links?

Offline Atehequa

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2012, 01:30:06 am »
I don't know her but I do know of her if it is the same person.  Last I knew she was a paleontology major. Is she now selling ceremony?  If so do yo have links?

Selling ceremony ? As earlier stated - 'Although he or she attempts to display a vast knowledge of Indian culture, spirituality and seemingly important issues, but is not a member of, nor affiliated with any federally recognized tribe. What’s troubling, this person goes on to feed other non Indians misconceptions of Indian culture and spirituality. Whether it is a profitable venture for this person, I do not know'

Well thanks for letting me know, that although this person is not known, you know of her. Paleontology sure is interesting, but people who feel they can tell Indians more about themselves than they know are interesting as well.

Perhaps there are others here who not only know, but know of this person as well.

Oh yes how rude of me not to extend greetings to you, sky

Greetings.

Offline ShadowDancer

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2012, 02:12:49 am »
Is this who you are talking about?

http://www.religiousforums.com/forum/know-your-moderators/50419-painted-wolf-mod.html

painted wolf Offline
Religion: Native American
Title:Grey Muzzle

Name: Katherine (kathy)
Location: New Hampshire, USA (home of the "worlds worst" weather)
Religion: Native American (cherokee, but with some New England influence)
Chocolate: Dark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike
how did you get into your religion? can you remember what your first sauce of knowledge was for your religion?

mmm... tasty.
I slowly grew into the religion. I was raised LDS but christianity never quite fit me. The more I developed my own sence of self, the more I realized I was walking the wrong path. I talked with an Abnaki elder in my early teenage years and that really sparked my intrest. It was a few more years before I met any cherokee in the area, so before then my spirituality was a bit "pan-indian". (ie it was more genaric than Nation specific)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo
Are you Native American by blood as well as in sprituality? Do you believe that having Native blood is important to Native sprituality?

I am, through my Father, so unfortunatly from a traditional standpoint I'm not "true Cherokee". Heritiage is passed Matraliniarly. However according to the Nations laws I can still be an "offical Cherokee".
I don't think you NEED to have First Nations blood to believe in what we do. I know a great many people who have no blood ties but are some of the strong spritiually. Historically we have never judged people based on thier race or creed, we have been very inclusive.
Sadly events with the Western Band of the Cherokee Nation have made me rethink my political ties with the Nation. I'm strongly against the vote to remove the 'freemen' from the Nation. I'm holding out hope for the Georga and Eastern Cherokee to re-think this policy.

Offline Smart Mule

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2012, 02:13:42 am »
Selling ceremony ? As earlier stated - 'Although he or she attempts to display a vast knowledge of Indian culture, spirituality and seemingly important issues, but is not a member of, nor affiliated with any federally recognized tribe. What’s troubling, this person goes on to feed other non Indians misconceptions of Indian culture and spirituality. Whether it is a profitable venture for this person, I do not know'
Unfortunately if we researched every individual out there that was presenting inaccurate information we would not have time to research the people who are doing the greatest harm.  Is it wrong, frustrating, disrespectful, deceptive and at times sacrilegious for individuals to spout inaccurate information?  Absolutely.  But there are thousands of people like that and we do not have the ability to educate each one of them.  If that is your interest perhaps you could start a forum or blog dedicated to doing so?

Well thanks for letting me know, that although this person is not known, you know of her. Paleontology sure is interesting, but people who feel they can tell Indians more about themselves than they know are interesting as well.

Perhaps there are others here who not only know, but know of this person as well.
Yes I know of her.  I've never met her but I know people from NH that had interacted with her in passing.

Paleontology is actually pretty cool however people like that are not interesting they are rude.   

Oh yes how rude of me not to extend greetings to you, sky

Greetings.

Greetings to you as well.

Offline Atehequa

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2012, 10:01:42 pm »
Create my own blog, or start a forum  ?

A thirsty bobcat comes down to the stream for a cool drink and an otter tells him to dig his own well somewhere else.

For material wealth or a sense of power and control, it doesn’t matter what is attained by certain individuals. What matters is the way traditional minded Indians are looked upon by those who have received such misinformation about them. Think about how an Indian feels at a social gathering or conversing on a internet forum when others assume that Indian is what some new age guru has described at one of their cheezy sessions, or what one has written about in his or her new age books. Sometimes these people are so misinformed that they cannot seem to grasp that the Lenape, Muskokee, Haudenosaunee, or Shawnee they’re talking to didn’t have ancestors that lived in teepees and carried on like stereotypical plains Indians. Often times those non-stereotypical Indians are then scrutinized, or unaccepted, or sometimes segregated from others. What’s really odd is having some European greet an Odawa, Choctaw, or Pawnee in Lakota, assuming we all speak Lakota or some common Indian language.

It’s not all about con-artists ripping off some moon eyed new age follower for a pile of bucks, it’s also about how the world sees American Indians.

Some of us are also aware that certain other large religious groups apply clever methods in order to sway Indians over to their faith as well as contending with those Indians who openly resist and speak out against such.

Offline Smart Mule

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2012, 10:21:16 pm »
Create my own blog, or start a forum  ?

A thirsty bobcat comes down to the stream for a cool drink and an otter tells him to dig his own well somewhere else.

More than likely, in the real world, the bobcat would try to eat the otter.  But I see we are talking metaphors here.  If a thirsty bobcat comes down to the stream and says you know Otter, I would really like a Fresca.  Otter might suggest, out of kindness and respect for Bobcats desire for a Fresca, that Bobcat go to the store and get a Fresca if it would make him feel more refreshed.  Now I am certainly not advocating the consumption of canned beverages for members of the Felidae family, I am simply suggesting, kindly, that you may find it refreshing to start a forum or blog.

For material wealth or a sense of power and control, it doesn’t matter what is attained by certain individuals. What matters is the way traditional minded Indians are looked upon by those who have received such misinformation about them. Think about how an Indian feels at a social gathering or conversing on a internet forum when others assume that Indian is what some new age guru has described at one of their cheezy sessions, or what one has written about in his or her new age books. Sometimes these people are so misinformed that they cannot seem to grasp that the Lenape, Muskokee, Haudenosaunee, or Shawnee they’re talking to didn’t have ancestors that lived in teepees and carried on like stereotypical plains Indians. Often times those non-stereotypical Indians are then scrutinized, or unaccepted, or sometimes segregated from others. What’s really odd is having some European greet an Odawa, Choctaw, or Pawnee in Lakota, assuming we all speak Lakota or some common Indian language.

I know, as do other members here as well, how this feels though I can't say I've been scrutinized, or unaccepted, or sometimes segregated from others when it comes to my community or the communities I interact with and it is those peoples who's opinions matter to me. 

It’s not all about con-artists ripping off some moon eyed new age follower for a pile of bucks, it’s also about how the world sees American Indians.
And we are just one forum with an over whelming amount of work as it is.  Our work here does help to dispel myth and stereotype in its own way.

Some of us are also aware that certain other large religious groups apply clever methods in order to sway Indians over to their faith as well as contending with those Indians who openly resist and speak out against such.
I think most of us are quite aware of this.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2012, 10:24:37 pm by sky »

Offline Atehequa

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2012, 11:58:23 pm »
Alright. Time to go over the ridge, having seen where I've been.

Offline Defend the Sacred

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2012, 06:47:58 pm »
Think about how an Indian feels at a social gathering or conversing on a internet forum when others assume that Indian is what some new age guru has described at one of their cheezy sessions, or what one has written about in his or her new age books.

Imagine what it's like to be a member of a longstanding, online community and working group of NDNs and allies, where the core group knows one another off-forum and has worked together for many years... Imagine what it's like to have a male stranger show up and be disrespectful to not one, but two respected, enrolled, traditional NDN grandmothers.

Imagine what it would be like to spend time on predominantly NDN forums, and in in-person NDN communities, and not bother trying to get acceptance from newagers and neoplaygans.

Imagine joining a forum and reading the forum guidelines, website and pinned threads, and taking the time to get a sense of what the forum is for, and who the people are who post in the forum, before picking fights with women.

Imagine that...

« Last Edit: November 22, 2015, 01:04:46 am by Yells At Pretendians »

Offline amorYcohetes

Re: Netskins, pretendians, and others who troll the web
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2012, 03:37:23 am »
Netskins, pretendians, and others who troll the web

Rule #1 of the internet: Don't Feed the Trolls

Although it can be hard, I find following this rule to be the best way to direct my energy.  Ignoring and disengaging with people who have shown themselves to be beneath my dignity is often the best way for me to maintain my integrity and self-respect, on- or offline.