Author Topic: what does everyone think about the the forest face kits for sale  (Read 6253 times)

Offline dabosijigwokush

or they are called tree faces

Epiphany

Re: what does everyone think about the the forest face kits for sale
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2012, 05:59:41 pm »
http://myoutdoorconnection.com/forestfaces.htm

Eh. :) Don't like them myself, would never put that on a tree.

Offline Scott Brainard

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2012, 04:03:57 pm »
Tacky.

Probably damages the tree over time as well.

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2012, 06:52:29 am »
My dad had one, got it as a gift. He put it on one of the trees, it was OK. My then little niece loved it. It never harmed the tree. That was my first thought, but it was there for 10 or so years and eventually fell apart. The tree was fine. 
press the little black on silver arrow Music, 1) Bob Pietkivitch Buddha Feet http://www.4shared.com/file/114179563/3697e436/BuddhaFeet.html

Offline Camilla

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2012, 01:37:18 pm »
I like trees as they are...

camilla
Camilla

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2012, 11:44:52 pm »
So do I.  It certainly is a lot better than people carving into a tree, that can never be removed.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 12:42:50 am by critter - a white non-ndn person »
press the little black on silver arrow Music, 1) Bob Pietkivitch Buddha Feet http://www.4shared.com/file/114179563/3697e436/BuddhaFeet.html

Offline Defend the Sacred

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2012, 05:56:17 pm »
I don't feel right about nailing into trees unless it's tree-spiking to save the tree's life. Even then, ouch. Trees that want to have faces grow them themselves.

Offline Camilla

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2012, 06:47:16 pm »
So do I.  It certainly is a lot better than people carving into a tree, that can never be removed.

Hi Critter. Yes, the forest face kit is better than carving, but in my opinion both are unrespectful behaviours. Of course carving represents a much bigger damage, but I personally feel the kit to be a kind of...mockery (I'm not sure if I found the right english word), anyway a lack of respect to the way a tree is, and the way it should be left.
Unfortunately we humans often try to modify other beings to make them similar to us. Recently I have seen horrible, really horrible pictures of dogs that had been taken to the hairdresser..... hair was cut fancy, and also dyed in different colors! Shall we ever stop bothering and shaping and changing and modifying other creatures? 

Nice day everybody
Camilla

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2012, 07:10:11 am »
i was concerned about nailing into a tree as well. but, the tree did not damage. i just don't see it as that big of a deal. it's not as disrespectful as, imo, cutting it up to have some sort of shapely shape. or cutting it down because "it's in the way". but whatever, to me, it's such a small issue that it's basically non. so many other things so more important than if someone wants to put a face on their tree. i'm not concerned about it. the face falls off as the tree grows.

Offline Smart Mule

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2012, 09:01:56 pm »
I think those forest faces are kind of weird a bit tacky.

From what I have been able to find the are not nailed onto trees but hang from the bark.  I'm sure not all are of the hanging variety.  Even if they are nailed into a tree it won't cause damage unless the tree is stressed or it's health is compromised.  My adopted Dad is a huge defender of old growth forests and has been behind saving sizable stands of old growth.  Identifying old old growth at times includes taking core samples.  If taking a core sample does not damage a tree, hanging or nailing weird stuff from it isn't going to hurt the tree, unless something is tacked with copper.