Author Topic: Phone Calls  (Read 3283 times)

Offline earthw7

• Standing Rock Tourism
Phone Calls
« on: November 13, 2011, 02:31:24 pm »
For those who dont know I work for my tribal government and all the calls concerning people who want to know
their tribal background are sent to me.
So i got a call on Friday from Enland
The lady said that she was looking for names of her relatives and what kind of benefits she would get.
I said what are their name
she said there names were  Heart of Heart and Little Foot
I told her were dont have those names on the roles.
She went on the say she went to a drumming ceremonie--(wonder what that is)
and was told by the shaman there in England that in her past life these were her parents name
and that she was the granddaughter of Sitting Bull.
She plans to be a shaman but want to get in touch with her tribal roots before she starts her own practice.
She is going to another drumming to find out more and will call me back because she know that in her past
life she was native.

Ok i listen real nice told her we dont have those people in our nation and Sitting Bull only had two grandaughter from
Pine Ridge both died years ago. When i hung up the phone i just laughed because we dont have past lives
we dont do drumming. We dont have shamans.

So i thank this site for all the work u do because there are people
out there who make money off these lost people.

In Spirit

Offline Defend the Sacred

• Global Moderator
Re: Phone Calls
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2011, 01:40:17 am »
So i got a call on Friday from Enland
The lady said that she was looking for names of her relatives and what kind of benefits she would get.

Wow. Shameless. And shameful.

She plans to be a shaman but want to get in touch with her tribal roots before she starts her own practice.
She is going to another drumming to find out more and will call me back because she know that in her past
life she was native.

Ok i listen real nice told her we dont have those people in our nation and Sitting Bull only had two grandaughter from
Pine Ridge both died years ago. When i hung up the phone i just laughed because we dont have past lives
we dont do drumming. We dont have shamans.

I am very impressed with your ability to keep from laughing at them till you hang up.  :o
« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 11:46:05 pm by Kathryn »

Offline nemesis

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2011, 12:33:08 pm »
It seems to me that the woman who phoned was deluded and earnest in her questions.

I was speaking to a friend recently about her experiences in the newage world.  My friend had lost someone she loved very much a few years ago and as a result got involved with spiritualists, psychics and crystal skulls.  

She feels deeply embarrassed about it now, but at the time she was extremely vulnerable and not in a good place mentally.

Back then she ended up working for a newage organisation as a PA to one of the directors and did this for a couple of years before leaving in disgust as it eventually dawned on her that the main customers for the psychics and newage therapies were either bereaved people with unresolved mourning issues, or, for the most part, extremely vulnerable people with serious mental illnesses.  

She said to me that, looking back, she feels really bad about the time she worked for the predatory, greedy psychics and newage healers and, once she felt better herself and the truth dawned on her, she felt extremely angry about the abuse and exploitation of vulnerable people that goes on under the guise of newage therapies and psychic healing.  

The woman phoning earthw7 may have been a greedy, racist opportunist, or she may be mentally ill or extremely vulnerable in some other way.  None of these things are mutually exclusive of course, it may be that she is a mix of all these things.

earthw7, I am sorry that you had to put up with such a phone call.  It must be extremely tempting to be scathing and rude to such people.  I am not sure that, if I were in your shoes, I would be able to resist it.  I would like to thank you for not being rude to her, just in case she is mentally challenged or otherwise vulnerable.  It sounds as though you showed great restraint and dignity in the face of some highly offensive questions.  

It seems to me that the "shaman" who told her this stuff is probably the person most deserving of anger.  Someone sent me a flyer about a dodgy "shaman" in London recently, I wonder if it may have been him?  I will try to find the flyer and maybe post a thread in research needed.  There are so many plastic shamans here in the UK that it may be hard to ID the culprit.  

If she does phone you back and if you can bear to talk to her again it might be interesting to learn more about the ID of the "shaman" who told her this nonsense.

edited to add
the "shaman" I had in mind was here in August (time flies) - Rafael de Souza a Brazilian Shaman apparently.  I'll start a separate thread on him. 

Sorry to go off on a bit of a tangent and I hope you were not too upset by receiving such a horrible phone call. 
« Last Edit: November 14, 2011, 12:43:36 pm by nemesis »

Offline earthw7

• Standing Rock Tourism
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2011, 10:29:33 pm »
I am not upset at all because i know these people are vulnerable and really believe what people tell them,
I do my best to help in a kind way to let them know that some of these things are not a part of my culture.
If fact i get some pretty strange calls all the time. It is what lead me to this site because some of things people
call the tribe about is very strange.
I get one call a week from someone arcoss the United States claiming to a be a descendant of Sitting Bull or
Rain-In-The-Face (which I am related too) so i take the call and tell them why they are not related.
It is the people to prey upon these people who have the problems.
In Spirit