Author Topic: VT Abenaki  (Read 18170 times)

Offline Kestrel

Re: VT Abenaki
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2011, 08:14:25 pm »
The article above was lifted from another blog "Vermont native justice abenaki" I would not accept another blog quote as being accurate. The issue is about the genealogy of the quote bands that are pushing for state recognition. Nobody is claiming that white on a birth certificat by itself proves anything. The records for prior Indian family names is quite extensive through the area. There is Robertsons lease, Fort St Frederick, Odanak and all the Canadian pay lists etc. It is interesting if you read The BIA OFA from Missiquoi. It raises more questions and does not provide any answers with the documentation of genealogy. All anybody has said that if you have about 1500 Abenakis that can tie back to the prior name sources that others should be able to also. There is a lot of BS being put out, along with misinformation
« Last Edit: October 20, 2019, 05:12:30 pm by Smart Mule »

Offline Diana

• I Love YaBB 2!
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2011, 04:33:45 am »
It is interesting if you read The BIA OFA from Missiquoi. It raises more questions and does not provide any answers with the documentation of genealogy.

What the fudge! I read the same BIA report on the Missiquoi and the question was, are these people Abenaki Indians? And the answer was a clear and emphatic NO. Actually the BIA found no Indian blood in any of them what so ever. Out of 1700 people only 8 had some minuscule Indian blood. The rest were found to be from immigrants.

What kind of questions do you have? What part of the BIA report don't you understand?

Lim lemtsh,

Diana  

« Last Edit: March 14, 2011, 04:37:17 am by Diana »

Offline Kestrel

« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2011, 02:40:19 am »
That was recommended for the doubters. I have no problem with the BIA report. It was concise, thoughtful and well done. It makes it perfectly clear that this is no Indian tribe by any definition. The other groups primarily broke off from the Missiquoi. There is not a doubt that there are some with Indian descendency but certainly does not make tribes or sovereign nations. Recognized tribes are not happy. There are approx 1500 genealogically documented Abenaki that are not part of this. How is it they have genealogy and these others don't. Hiding in plain site does not do it. Lame excuse.

Offline snorks

• I Love YaBB 2!
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2011, 05:41:31 pm »
I have been reading this with interest since I have family stories of Abenaki ancestors.  However, no one could prove that we have any.  While I was trying to figure all this out, I ran into the "fake" groups or at least people who had little idea of what Abenaki culture was.  I think that it is easy to confuse genuine Indian ancestory with perhaps being French Canadian or something else.  What I did find out at least in my family's case, they were hiding the fact they were French Canadian and not really Irish.  And certainly not Abenaki.

Living in "upper" Maine, my family and our neighbours did the same things living off the land, etc.  However, most of us were White people who had been there a long time, and  we could recite who was married to who.  Those who were not White were usually Abenaki who could recite who was married to who amongst their groups.  What I did find out is that everyone knows who, what, where, etc.  So no one is really confused on who they or anyone else is.

Now I realise that if you have to ask about things, then perhaps you are not a part of that group.  People do hide things they think others will frown upon.  In our case, it was being French Canadian.  So I think a lot of these Abenaki groups who are floundering about for particulars are perhaps comprised of confused (or not) White people looking for something they want and can't have.

As for me, I do support the efforts to ensure that the actual Abenaki bands are recognised and that the others are not.

Offline Tsalagi

« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2011, 01:06:32 am »
Kestrel said:
"There are approx 1500 genealogically documented Abenaki that are not part of this."

Then why haven't they applied through the native commission that VT set up? by my way of thinking they wouldn't have a problem to get at minimum, state recognition to be culturally recognized at the very least. Just seems stupid they would let others step in and pull a better rug out from under them, don't you agree?

Offline Kestrel

« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2011, 12:06:50 am »
To apply for state recognition is not an option. It is only for those that cannot meet the requirements for federal recognition because the requirements are such that anybody could be recognized as an Indian tribe in Vermont even without genealogy. Recognition is an expensive process and it takes a lot of time. The decision to do that requires politicol decisions by tribes to effect that.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2011, 12:10:34 am by Kestrel »

Offline karen mica

« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2011, 04:21:48 pm »
Oh, it`s even worst then you think! The nerve of these people!
Two "whatever`s" have already been recognized and are holding off the "other two" seeking recognition as we speak.  Not only are these folks the most ignorant, arrogant, greedy bunch of people you could ever meet, but now that Nulhegan have made themselves "official" by stacking the commission with their own people, to approve themselves, they think they can change rules or make up new ones as they go along!

They have barked and barked about Odanak Abenaki being "ex-patriots" since I`ve been involved in this disaster, but now they want to make "repatriates" of the Koasek and haul them over into their band!

This is because they want genealogies ( we have descendants of signatory chiefs in the Koasek) and they want a real history..since they have neither.

They will most likely go for Federal recognition if they can get this from us...

Below is a portion of an e mail floated to us after a major effort to hide all of this from the general council of the koasek, until they could make the dirty little arrangements behind the scenes and we could do nothing to stop it! (most of us would never join with them for the so called "benefits" or any other reason!!!!!!)

We were, just in the process of seeking the immediate resignation of the chief, the council, and everyone else involved in this "sell out" of the band to these frauds, but the chief beat us to it and sent in his resignation today.

I am assuming his council,etc will follow suit very soon!

This entire thing is such an outrage I can`t believe this is happening. 

There is no decency whats so ever in these VT people, and I am ashamed that my own people would have had any part in any dealing with these frauds posing as Abenaki.
They intent to do whatever they want to do. see below

1) "The Nulhegans have offered to allow Koasek members a "joint" membership for any and all who wish to "reunite" with them for the purposes of the "benefits" of recognition. ( the Koasek have not filed for recognition!)
Althought the Koaseks were originally "formed" by Howard, they were originally part of the Nulhegans and separated to form a separate group, being the Koaseks.( that is an out right lie) However, although originally formed by Howard who, with his followers, separated from the Nulhegans, the present Koaseks are not "Howard's Band" as he can claim no ownership of other peoples and as he has withdrawn himself from membership with the Koaseks. Further, the Nulhegans are not requiring Koasek members to remove themselves from the Koasek band in order to join them. As stated, it is being viewed as a "repatriotization" on an individual basis. ( what a joke)

2) Some people see this as the Koaseks "breaking up". However, I do not see any words from the Chief or the Council that the Koasek band is disbanding. All that I see is the offer on the table for the option of dual membership with Nulhegans for those individuals or families that wish to exercise this option. This choosing duality will have the backing and approval of the Koasek Administrative powers.." ( good thing they are resigning!)