Author Topic: Twitter  (Read 5341 times)

Twitter
« on: January 12, 2011, 03:05:02 am »
Recently Linda posted this:

Don't forget to Tweet it all around.   
#Pagans   #Shaman  #NewAge  #Spirituality

This is a list of popular Twitter Hash Tags #   
http://listorious.com/tags    Click on the topics to see a list of groups and tags to use.
Make Twitter a part of your Activism tools, as well as your local FB pages to reach your towns and cities
as well as groups.   

Linda.

I have a twitter account, but to be honest when I log on and look at it I am
dumbfounded.

Is there any newbie advice, or short/quick run down of how this operates?

For example, if I link to someone to get their twits, do they automatically get mine?

Other than knowing how to link to someone, I have no idea how it works, or how
it's read. 

Any education on it would be greatly appreciated..

Thanks!  :)

press the little black on silver arrow Music, 1) Bob Pietkivitch Buddha Feet http://www.4shared.com/file/114179563/3697e436/BuddhaFeet.html

Offline AlaskaGrl

Re: Twitter
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2011, 03:26:18 am »
See the last post I made on Kiesha Crowther thread.....   

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2011, 03:29:14 am »
I did.

But it is nonsense to me as I have no clue what you are talking about. LOL

:)

press the little black on silver arrow Music, 1) Bob Pietkivitch Buddha Feet http://www.4shared.com/file/114179563/3697e436/BuddhaFeet.html

Offline AlaskaGrl

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2011, 03:35:10 am »
Here ya go Critter...  :)

These are typical hash tags #    I am seeing on spreading the Kiesha articles, ids etc.

#RacialJustice
#Tarot
#NewAge
#Shamans
#Pagan
#KieshaCrowther  

Below is a tease, I bolded it for here, to encourage readers to visit articles via Twitter feeds.  This is Al's article, URL shortened, with hash tags attached:

Kiesha Crowther Little Grandmother Article http://bit.ly/fXo3ZQ  #newage  #shamans #Pagan #RacialJustice #Tarot #NewAge #KieshaCrowther

The bolded text (for demonstration here) is what you are getting out there, comments, etc..  Keep them short, throw a tease in there that might encourage someone to go and read the article such as "Kiesha Crowther Little Grandmother Article"   Putting the word Article in there is open ended, they don't know what its about, and someone may be curious to
go follow the link.  Be creative.    Some URLS are long, you can shorten them in Twitter.   You could just copy and past the above, that I bolded, into Twitter, and then go to your post to see
how it reads.  That will give you an idea of what it looks like.  The hash tags  #  just tell the post where to go.  

Hope I helped!  

Linda.

Offline AlaskaGrl

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2011, 03:57:13 am »
If you link (Follow) someones Tweets, say, mine,    Astronomy_Gal    you will see my Tweets and so will anyone else.  
See below how to follow me, friend me, tweet my direction using  @      etc...   If you're like me, you might want to print
out the FAQ to have handy for reference.  

This is a good Basic FAQ on using Twitter
http://support.twitter.com/groups/31-twitter-basics/topics/104-welcome-to-twitter-support/articles/13920-frequently-asked-questions

Getting to know Twitter
What is it?
Twitter is a service for friends, family, and co–workers to communicate and stay connected through the exchange of quick, frequent messages. People write short updates, often called "Tweets" of 140 characters or fewer. These messages are posted to your profile or your blog, sent to your followers, and are searchable on Twitter search.

Do I need anything special to use it?
All you need to use Twitter is an internet connection or a mobile phone. Join us here! Once you're in, type your first update into the web box. To get an idea of what other people are saying or doing on Twitter, check out Twitter search to see what Twitter's all about. You can search by keyword or just check out the trending topics to see what's hot on Twitter right now.

How do I find my friends?[/b]
When you create an account, you can search for people by name or user name, import friends from other networks, or invite friends via email. If you don't want to do that, follow some of the people we've suggested. Once you've found your friends, follow them to start getting their updates.

What does it mean to follow someone on Twitter?
Following someone simply means receiving their Twitter updates. When you follow someone, every time they post a new message, it will appear on your Twitter home page. New messages are added to your home page as people post them, so you always get the updates in real time. When you log in, you can see what the latest updates are. Twitter offers other ways to follow people too: you can get updates from certain people on your phone!

How do I know who I'm following?
After you click the follow button on someone's profile, you're following them. The follow button will change to a green check mark next to the word "Following" with an actions button on the right to remove a person if you want to. If you've registered your phone with Twitter, you can set up text preferences for a person as well. See a list of people you're following by clicking on the following link on your profile or your home page's sidebar.

How do I know who is following me?
Twitter sends you an email when someone new follows you. Set up your email preferences to notify you when you have a new follower. The followers link on your profile page or home page's sidebar will also tell you how many followers you have.

What are follow limits?
Twitter recently added follow and update limits for stability and abuse control. You can read more about this here.

Who reads my updates?
It's up to you. Your followers read your updates, and anyone else who comes across them in a search. Your Twitter profile is public by default; if you're hesitant to have strangers read your updates, protect your profile to approve followers and keep your updates out of search.

Can I block people from following me?
Yes, you can. If you block someone, they won't be able to follow you or send you any messages. If your account is public, they'll still be able to view it, but they won't show up on your followers list, and you won't be on their following list. If it's a spammer you're blocking, thanks! Twitter Support keeps an eye on block reports to see who's getting in trouble on Twitter.

How can I send updates to Twitter?
Twitter offers many ways to post updates: from the web in the update box, from your phone, from your mobile web browser using m.twitter.com, or from any third party application made by the talented folks who've utilized our API.

Why is there a star at the end of updates?
The star is a way for you to mark an update as favorite. People can view your favorites, and you theirs, by clicking on the Favorites link in the profile page.

Can I put my Twitter updates on my blog?
Yep! Put a Twitter widget on your blog, website, MySpace... anything that accepts Javascript or HTML. You can even customize your Twitter badge to match!

What are @Replies?
An @reply is a public message sent from one person to another, distinguished from normal updates by the @username prefix. If a message begins with @username, we collect it as a reply. Reply publicly to any update on Twitter by using the @username format. Following is not necessary to reply to someone, and all of your replies are visible in the @username tab in your home page sidebar. (Tweets with @username elsewhere in the tweet are also collected in your sidebar tab; tweets starting with @username are replies, and tweets with @username elsewhere are considered mentions.) Please note that if your account is private, users who are not following you will not see your @replies or mentions.

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2011, 04:11:39 am »
Thanks!  :)  That will help a lot in just getting started. 

Offline Defend the Sacred

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2011, 05:07:57 am »
You click on hashtags to see all the twitter posts that people have tagged as relevant to that topic or audience. Like #Indigenous or #KieshaCrowther

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2011, 05:10:54 am »
Oh. Ok. Thanks, that will help in learning how to get around.. lol

I really appreciate all this..  :)