Author Topic: We are not alone  (Read 6602 times)

Offline NDN_Outlaw

We are not alone
« on: December 03, 2009, 08:33:32 pm »
My sister used to work with Union of  British Columbia Indian Chiefs (UBCIC) She was a "manualista", one of those young NDN radicals mentored by Chief George Manual. Manual was the founder of the World Council of Indigenous Peoples (WCIP). A story is still passed among their people about an encounter with English gypsys back in the 1980s. The way my sister told it there was a UBCIC delegation in London England lobbying for NDN rights during the pending transfer of the Canadian constitution from the English Crown to Canada. These NDN delegations were there to ensure NDN rights were not lost in the transfer. During this time they received a request from the gypsy to meet with them. In many ways the gypsies are the NDNs of Europe. Landless and despised they have somehow endured over centuries. Hundreds of thousands were murdered in Hitlers concentration camps.  When their English heard of the NDNs planning to meet with the gypsies they were very much against it. Old prejudices surfaced.  The UBCIC replied they would meet with anyone who asked. The meeting took place at night in secret. Translation was a problem with so many NDN languages, Romani and English needing to be interpreted. An old man spoke for the Gypsy.He said he had a message for the Canadian NDN's. He told them, "never give up your land." The conversation, hampered by translation did not last long. In the silence that followed an NDN grandmother took off her scarf and placed the jewerly from her hand into the scarf and passed the bundle on. The NDNS took off their jewelry one by one and then passed the scarf to the old gypsy chief. Tears flowed from the old mans face and then from the NDNs. The gypsys then disapeared into the nite.

Offline NanticokePiney

Re: We are not alone
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2009, 02:11:19 am »
 I think Hitler killed several million gypsies. Romani is a secondary language. He was probably from Eastern Europe and spoke a language from that area. Travellers from the U.K. speak english and their own celtic jargon.
 I'm friendly with a couple of Irish Travellers. They are a not racially gypsies though. They just copy the lifestyle. Another Traveller friend of Eastern European descent does compare us both though.

Offline Defend the Sacred

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2009, 02:30:57 am »
Yes, while both are sometimes referred to as "gypsies", the Romani People and the Irish Travellers are different groups. The Irish Travellers mostly speak English, combined with Shelta.

Offline NanticokePiney

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2009, 12:22:14 am »
Yes, while both are sometimes referred to as "gypsies", the Romani People and the Irish Travellers are different groups. The Irish Travellers mostly speak English, combined with Shelta.

"Shelta" That's it! The ones I know sell used cars outside of Camden, N.J. That's what they speak when they're talking among themselves.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2018, 01:36:11 am by Defend the Sacred »

Offline Sparks

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2018, 01:23:30 am »
In many ways the gypsies are the NDNs of Europe. Landless and despised they have somehow endured over centuries. Hundreds of thousands were murdered in Hitlers concentration camps.

My bolding. Not all Romani victims were murdered in concentration camps. Tens or hundreds of thousands were shot or otherwise murdered by Einsatzgruppen and Einsatzkommandos.

See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Einsatzgruppen — https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Einsatzkommando

I think Hitler killed several million gypsies.

My bolding in quotes. No research supports "several million". Wikipedia articles presently present these numbers:

Historians estimate that between 220,000 and 500,000 Romani were killed by the Nazis and their collaborators—25% to over 50% of the slightly fewer than 1 million Roma in Europe at the time. Ian Hancock puts the death toll as high as 1.5 million.

See also: https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porajmos#Zur_Gesamtzahl_der_Opfer