Author Topic: W.E. Ojibwe actually got MAD when I asked about fake member!  (Read 7854 times)

Offline MattOKC

W.E. Ojibwe actually got MAD when I asked about fake member!
« on: October 30, 2009, 06:32:42 pm »
This is strange. I would have thought that tribes would want t be vigilant about clowns and posers representing themselves as "medicine men and women" and making money writing books, selling trinkets, and collecting speakers' fees. I don't know much about the Indian Arts and Crafts law, but I know it requires sellers claiming Indianness to prove tribal enrollment. Well, a very stunning fraud in Memphis promotes herself as a high-degree Midewiwin of a clan that does not even exist on the reservation she claims. Now, I'm not sure how to check legal compliance with the enrollment criteria except to just ask. So I just ask. I contacted the tribe, explained my concerns, and asked whether she was a genuinely enrolled member. I provided her various aliases.

What I got back was an all-caps RANT from the tribal enrollment office, accusing me of personal vendettas and suggesting that I could not prove who I was either, and that I am not to ask again! Apparently, their requirement is that the wannabe must notarize consent for their tribal background to be verified--which is HIGHLY absurd, as no wannabe in the world wold actually supply such consent. Thus, the policy of this tribe seems to protect the frauds rather than holding them accountable. And even though I explained the rationale for my concern, they were irate with ME for being so rude as to even ask. Well, so much for defending tribes from phonies. As far as I'm concerned, White Earth is welcome to whatever rogue's gallery of Sun Bears and Windsongs and whatever other plastic shamans want to claim them, because they won't assist in efforts to educate, and actively RESIST efforts to do so.

Offline BlackWolf

Re: W.E. Ojibwe actually got MAD when I asked about fake member!
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2009, 11:42:20 pm »
I think each tribe is different as to whether or not they will tell you if someone is enrolled or not.  Some Tribal Enrollment Offices will tell you on the phone with a simple phone call, other tribes will ask for something in writing or faxed with an explanation, and other tribes won't tell you period.  I'm assuming that Federal Privacy Laws don't apply here, but would be the privacy laws of each individual tribe?  With some of the Cherokee Tribes, the Eastern Band will tell you if someone is enrolled if the request is faxed in, while the Cherokee Nation won't tell you someone's enrollment status because they say its a matter of privacy.  I guess if it came down to it, such as with a violation of the Indian Arts and Crafts Act, or using ones "Indian status" to promote onself, then the Tribes themselves would come forward and say that this person is not enrolled.

If I was you, I would send something by certified mail to that Tribe's enrollment office in writing, and explain to them exactly what the alledged person is doing, and why their status needs to be known.  For example, "this person may be in violation of the Indian Arts and Crafts Act of 1990", etc.

Offline MattOKC

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2009, 08:47:25 pm »
The thing is, they acted like I should already know their own policy, and that I was being rude or intrusive to inquire at all. What I don't understand is why they would consider it an intrusive inquiry if federal law makes enrollment a fundamental requirement in the selling of arts/crafts; citizenship in a nation is hardly intimate data like HIPAA or something. If it is the foremost determinant of compliance with a federal law--a law that WE tribes demanded--why would a tribe consider it hostile for someone to make an inquiry?

My inquiry was polite and I specifically emphasized that I was inquiring with regard to the law, and explained exactly what the person-in-question was doing and why I considered it suspicious. The enrollment office responded that obviously I was only asking for personal reasons, and then turned the accusation against me personally, making the bizarre statement/assumption, "Can you provide documented proof of who you are? No I did not think so!" My reaction, which I did not write, would have been, "so what if it was personal? It's still a fair inquiry under the law, and that's that!"

Offline earthw7

• Standing Rock Tourism
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2009, 06:28:38 pm »
It don't matter even my tribe will not give you
any information and some of the BIA official are rude
In Spirit

Offline LittleOldMan

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2009, 06:59:01 pm »
Suggestion. Notify the tribal authorities with your concerns then let them handle it.  Example if I had concerns about a Lakota or one claiming to be I would pm Earth7 with all the information that I had then sit back and let her handle it.  She would know just who to take the info to.  It has been my experience that the Tribe or some elements of the Tribe will handle these situations better than a non tribal person after all it is in their best interest to handle exploiters.  "LOM"
Blind unfocused anger is unproductive and can get you hurt.  Controlled and focused anger directed tactically wins wars. Remember the sheath is not the sword.

Offline earthw7

• Standing Rock Tourism
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2009, 09:14:42 pm »
so true, when some of our people know they are talking to a non
they are rude
In Spirit

Offline MattOKC

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2009, 02:47:15 am »
But the thing is, "I'm not a "non." I'm Ojibway too. And as for notifying the tribal authorities, that's what I was trying to do.

Okay, I got an email from the Feds arts&crafts board that said, "Each Tribe determines how and to whom they release information concerning their enrolled members." Which means the White Earth enrollment office was being completely ridiculous to scold that I should already know THEIR individual policy. I still think it's bizarre that they got pissy with me for simply notifying them of an egregious violation of the act in the White Earth Ojibwe Tribe's name, and fully expected they'd consider it a favor and...I dunno, maybe THANK me for informing them. Instead, they seemed really upset that anyone would dare suggest that some goofy wicca clown claiming to be White Earth would be anything other than genuine.

Offline Laurel

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2009, 01:08:36 pm »
I just rejoined the forum because I'm in Memphis, and I was wondering what I could do about this. If I find out this person is selling art or crafts as "Indian," who would I contact?

Or would it be better to just do nothing since she's been brought to the attention of the authorities?

Offline bls926

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2009, 02:04:24 pm »
I'm surprised White Earth was so rude. When I e-mailed them last spring about someone claiming to be Anishnabe, my e-mails were ignored. I didn't receive any response at all. When I called their Enrollment Office, all my questions were answered politely. I spoke with the Enrollment Officers at three Ojibwe Reservations: White Earth, Red Lake, and Leech Lake. All were very helpful.

I've e-mailed other Nations with questions about someone's enrollment (Creek Nation of Oklahoma, Poarch Band of Creek Indians, and the United Keetoowah Band); all were very helpful. Maybe it just depends on who you contact, who gets the e-mail.

« Last Edit: November 10, 2009, 02:09:03 pm by bls926 »

Offline Moma_porcupine

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2009, 02:16:16 pm »
What I got back was an all-caps RANT from the tribal enrollment office, accusing me of personal vendettas and suggesting that I could not prove who I was either, and that I am not to ask again!

Hopefully they didn't change their attitude towards inquiries because they had a bad experience with a very nasty white woman who amuses herself hunting people she considers faux Indians ....

http://www.newagefraud.org/smf/index.php?topic=2341.0

-----
Edited to add

I probably shouldn't be blaming Betsy for this one when it's more probable one of the people bls926 inquired about may have complained about us, and caused a change in attitude. ( If anything did and it wasn't just one persons) attitude)Thinking about this, I realized this is one of the stupider comments I've made.... Sorry, need to think things through better before I post ...
« Last Edit: November 10, 2009, 03:38:38 pm by Moma_porcupine »

Offline BlackWolf

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2009, 06:11:56 pm »
Laurel, the contact info is on this website. 

http://www.doi.gov/iacb/file.html

Or would it be better to just do nothing since she's been brought to the attention of the authorities?

NO IT WOULD BE NOT BE BETTER TO DO NOTHING. Even if this is the case.  I would still contact to report it.  The more people that make a complaint the better.  You may be able to make a report over the phone.  But make sure you have specfics, and evidence would be  helpful.  From what I know the office there is understaffed, and sometimes takes a while to work on a case.  Also, after you make the initial report, I would periodically check with the Indian Arts and Crafts Board by calling them.  ( Maybe once a month), and ask them what has been done with the case. Sometimes you have to be persistant with them.

Offline Defend the Sacred

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2009, 06:19:12 pm »
I just rejoined the forum because I'm in Memphis, and I was wondering what I could do about this.

I'm glad you're back Laurel. :-)

Offline Laurel

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2010, 01:54:48 pm »
Aw just found this...thanks, K. That means a lot to me.  :) And thanks, Blackwolf, for the url.

I got to running off at the mouth so much I figured I'd unjoin so as to put my listening ears on (a la Judge Judy). Rejoined because it's easier to see the new posts this way. Still thinking it's better to keep my mouth shut most of the time, but my oh my there are times when I have to bite holes through my lower lip (coughD'BUSTERcough).

Have not run into this piece of work to gather evidence on this person, but I may be able to do so either via book people or crafts people I know.