Author Topic: Questions  (Read 2841 times)

Questions
« on: October 14, 2009, 04:14:29 pm »
Hi,

Ok, I'm not Native American.  I don't know your beliefs, nor do I practice them or pretend to.  I have my own beliefs.  My reason for being here is I don't like the new age thing, and especially frauds.  My question is...  you don't believe _all_ new age crap is taken from your beliefs do you?  Or.. do you?  I realize the sweat lodge is.  I've done them, never paid, was fortunate to have done so, and would never betray it.  I know vision quest comes from your traditions.  I don't think I've ever done one.. I did something that was maybe sort of but probably not so.. it was a solo night with the people who were gracious to me.. set it up for me.  But it's a personal thing. 

But things like crystals, stones, energy work..  ?  Reincarnation, soul work, past lives, aliens?
press the little black on silver arrow Music, 1) Bob Pietkivitch Buddha Feet http://www.4shared.com/file/114179563/3697e436/BuddhaFeet.html

Offline Superdog

Re: Questions
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2009, 04:30:02 pm »
If you read around a little you'll find all the answers you need.  I can't speak for how everyone believes, but the purpose of this board is to talk about people who appropriate Native communities, beliefs, ceremonies, religion, etc. for personal profit.  Sometimes there's discussion of other things that can be considered "New Age" and having a good personal knowledge of these aspects is a good thing for anyone in intelligent discussion about them, but they are not the focus and certainly it's well known here that "new age crap" (your words) can borrow things from just about anywhere and any culture (which certainly can be a good thing...until a price tag is put on it and there becomes a sense of ownership to "teachings" and "knowledge"...aka commercial spiritualism).  If anything there's a lot of education going on here about what ARE real Native beliefs and what aren't.

Superdog

Re: Questions
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2009, 04:45:18 pm »
Thank you.  I am trying to read everything here.  There is a lot.  And I do agree w/comments on good thing till price tag...

I guess my question was a little stupid, but didn't mean it to be.. of course you all realize stuff is taken from other cultures.  I actually didn't mean it that way even though I said it that way.. it wasn't meant with that kind of stupidness.   Apologies.  :)
press the little black on silver arrow Music, 1) Bob Pietkivitch Buddha Feet http://www.4shared.com/file/114179563/3697e436/BuddhaFeet.html