Author Topic: Spirits for sale in London  (Read 16407 times)

Offline Freija

• I Love YaBB 2!
Spirits for sale in London
« on: August 25, 2009, 05:01:28 pm »
I am very happy today - our film "Spirits for Sale" will be screened in London on November 6th. It´s a cooperation with Amnesty International.

While the film has done very well in US - I was in Hollywood this summer and picked up a filmaward, "Best international spiritual film" - it has been much harder in Europe. Probably because it is too controversial for Europeans. So this screening in London is something we are very happy about, hopefully it will be a start. Folke and I will both be there.

Any Natives and non-Natives from UK who can make your way to the London festival? I´d love to meet you! Let me know.
It would be great to have many Native voices speaking up about the exploitation.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2009, 05:04:55 pm by Freija »

Offline bls926

Re: Spirits for sale in London
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2009, 02:27:32 am »
Congratulations! Hope the London screening is a huge success. I'll be thinking of y'all.

Offline Freija

• I Love YaBB 2!
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2009, 07:46:01 am »
Thanks bls926 and thanks Al!
I am very very glad that this film will be screened in the Amnesty International Human Rights Centre in London.
This is sure a statement from them that they are behind us - and with us - in this struggle!

Maybe we can work something out with Amnesty for future screeenings in other countries.

Will let you know how it goes in London.

Offline Freija

• I Love YaBB 2!
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2009, 09:02:02 am »

We´ve now received more information about the event in London.

http://www.nativespiritfestival.com/NSF2009/2009/english/home%202009.html

The film will be screened on the 6th November at 7.15 at the following place:

Amnesty International Human Rights Action Centre

17-25 New Inn Yard, London , EC2A 3EA

Tickets at the door, 8 Pounds.

This is a charity organisation and the intake will go towards educational resources for indigenous peoples.
So please come and contribute to a creat cause.

This festival will also tour Spain! Wooeehh, finally getting it out and about in Europe.

Offline Freija

• I Love YaBB 2!
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2009, 07:14:27 pm »
Many thanks to the British Newspaper The Guardian - they will be covering the festival in London and has asked me to contribute with my views on "what can we learn from Native people?" It will be published the same day our film goes up. Great promotion. It is such a fantastic thing that the entrance fees go back to indigenous peoples.

Oh, by the way, one of our "filmstars" lives in UK. Maybe his followers will be there....?  ;)

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2009, 06:11:27 am »
That's great Freija!  Congrats!   :)   :) !!! 
press the little black on silver arrow Music, 1) Bob Pietkivitch Buddha Feet http://www.4shared.com/file/114179563/3697e436/BuddhaFeet.html

Offline Freija

• I Love YaBB 2!
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2009, 09:45:42 am »
Just got back from UK and the Native spirit filmfestival.
We had a great time and got the opportunity to see a couple of films about the Queros and the Mapuches in South America.

Spirits for sale was screened at Amnesty International with lots of people in the audience, quite a few of them from indigenous cultures. After the film there was a round-the-table discussion where I was invited to sit on the panel. Considering that most filmmakers were Natives themselves, it was an honour to be included, and also to get the opportunity to speak to the audience. (And also being able to give thanks to the Native people in the film, who gave us their trust.)

Many good things were said and the audience seemed to be totally on our side. Well, most of them. Someone quite often remarks on the fact that I gave the eagle feather back to Arvol. "WHY didn´t you keep it?! It was a GIFT!"  I take it those being upset about me returning the feather probably have items themselves that should go back to Native people. Just a guess..... ;)

The Guardian published a long article about the situation for Native people and about the festival.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2009/nov/08/native-spirit-film-festival

Thank you to all the guys who worked their ***** off to make this festival happen! Especially Agustin. And, of course, Amnesty International!

Offline educatedindian

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2009, 03:00:41 pm »
Enjoyed the article and your nice comments at the end. I plan to look for a few of those other films. I'm grateful to Amnesty Internat'l as well. It's one of the best organizations out there.