Author Topic: Ethnic frauds and wannabes; there is no honor in that.  (Read 5346 times)

Offline Diana

• I Love YaBB 2!
Ethnic frauds and wannabes; there is no honor in that.
« on: September 20, 2015, 11:04:50 pm »
Good analogy of current events by Michele Shining Elk.
http://www.wafflestompers.blogspot.com/2015/09/ethnic-frauds-and-wannabes-there-is-no.html

Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Ethnic frauds and wannabes; there is no honor in that.

I am fascinated by the people who say that I think I am the "American Indian police." They demand to know "Who do I think I am deciding who is Indian and who isn't?" They are incensed with my "hatred finger pointing" and "judgment of people whom I do not know or believe are Indian." They tell me, I have a "black heart, that I am an "unkind and disrespectful person." That I "dishonor and embarrass my tribe," and "all American Indian people as a whole.

Why? Because I call out, the ethnic frauds and wannabes.

I am an American Indian woman who has been working in the marketing communications and entertainment industries for over two decades. Based in Los Angeles, I am from the Colville Indian Reservation located in northeastern Washington state, and that is where I call home.

I was raised not to sit idle when wrongs are being committed. I was born with a voice but taught how and when to use it; those teachings also taught me when to be silent and to observe. Contrary to popular belief, I do the latter more than the former.

I am in the entertainment industry; however, I am not in the business of exploiting our people or standing by while others exploit our people. If a project or production even hints at the exploitation of our people, I will walk away, despite the size of the paycheck, or how badly I need it. I have walked away from financial opportunities I desperately needed because being attached to a project would bring hurt and pain to our community, not worth the life of a short-lived paycheck.

It is called cultural integrity, and it helps me temperature check projects that cross my desk.

What's more, I am not the one to sit and watch people engage in cultural appropriation, misappropriation, ethnic fraud; or watch them play out their wannabe notions, just because this is America, it is a free country. The sense of entitlement of these people is mind-boggling and no, it is not a matter of "just getting over it."

Great example of entitlement. First of all, I didn't seek out the owner of this photo. They contacted me and asked me to "like" their Facebook page. When I voiced my frustration over this photo being disrepectful and insensitive. I was told "I'm just a hater, it is art, I need to get over it." No. It is NOT art and I won't get over it. That person can BITE me because I know you know who you are, and you are reading this. 

What is an ethnic fraud?

Ethnic frauds are people who have taken on the identity and can't back up their claims with family lineage or tribal enrollment. They take on the identity of being American Indian for fame, attention, and money. Their "native experiences" are superficial and based on nothing but mimicry, tropes, and stereotypes. They are usually amoral, and their motivation is self-serving, want of adoration and attention, and their mindset is manipulative and narcissistic. Their portrayals are damaging and not based on personal experiences, first hand experience, but on what they've read, seen in a movie, or absorbed from studying Indian people they know, or have been around.

Then tend to surround themselves with clones, drones, fellow wannabes, and fawning minions who look at them in a dreamy state and feed their insatiable egos and believe their lies.

It is cultural appropriation at its worst. 

Their cultural appropriation is so offensive because ethnic frauds and wannabes take what they deem are the attractive and desirable parts of our culture and who we are, and exploit the painful parts. They want one of two things: to either be a hero to Indian people or live a life where the perception is that they are tragic victims playing off and using our history for their deceptive ways.

Ethnic frauds and wannabes are so insignificant in their lives they have to make up a new one, stealing ours - it is all a facade. Claiming to be Indian gets them closer to their wants and needs because they use the system, or they seem to think being Indian makes their story better. The majority of Indian people respond to the wannabe and ethnic fraud phenomena with a resounding "Why?"

Sadly, those who do not know the difference between what is fact and what is fiction take the damaging portrayals presented by the ethnic frauds and wannabes as the way things are. So far from the truth.

His name is Nader Jai Janani but changed his name to Jay Tavare. He is an Iranian national by birth in Iran and by his father Mamood Janani. However, his story is that he is White Mountain Apache and Navajo; which, interestingly is an identity he took on shortly after he played a White Mountain Apache in Navajo territory in the film "The Missing."

It is why mainstream thinks we all walk around in leather fringed vests and jackets, decked out in turquoise, a medicine bag hanging from our necks, crying, along side the road, and constantly burning sage. That we have a jewelry trove full of chokers, turquoise, animal horn relics and fluffy feather earrings. Which all, of course, are located in our tipis - that we live in.

Well, apparently, I make people really angry; I hear all about it, and so does my ex. Why do people feel the need to chastise him for their dislike of me? Like he cares, if anything it is going to irritate him that they are bringing me up. Sorry, moving on. These people, they tell me "How dare I stand in judgment of others!" I need to be "sued for defamation, libel and slander." "Who do I think I am to think that I decide who is Indian and who is not." Have I some nerve?

It is interesting that these people think I carry the authority of a tribal council and enrollment department. That I can decide who IS Indian and who IS NOT because um...I can't. Thanks though people, I appreciate you all think I have such power, it is a compliment.

It is hypocrisy at its best. Hi Pot, meet Kettle

I particularly enjoy how they gossip, talk and point their finger in judgment of me. I've heard it all and the "word on the street" is that not only am I a black heart hater. I'm "homeless," all my clients have "dumped me," I've never done "anything significant in my career or life," my "tribe disowns me," I'm "being sued by all the "major production companies and network studios in Los Angeles," and that "no one will work with me."

Good stuff eh?

Seriously? What fascinates me the most, is how these people miss the part where they are doing the very thing they accuse and chastise me of doing. Except, of course, they take things a little further with the lawsuit, homelessness, tribal disownment, done nothing in my life or career stuff. That there they stand, in all their jingle-jangle glory, patting each other on the back because they think they're destroying me - professionally and personally, and tribally.

But, they are not. I'm good with heat, and I can take the heat in any temperature that someone wants to throw it at me. I might get burned, but I'll still be standing. I have an intrinsic fire extinguisher for the verbal flame throwers. Pssssssshhht! Fire out.

Quite simply, here is my message for ethnic frauds, wannabes, and their supporters.

Don't be mad.

Don't be mad, because I am not naive and refuse to buy what people are selling because they put a price tag sticker on themselves. Don't be mad because I have the strength of character to neither support the frauds and wannabes or their dog and pony shows. Don't be mad because I am not willing to look the other way as they steal, sell, and exploit our culture. Which, by the way, looking the other way when you know someone is stealing doesn't make you any less culpable than the thief. I'm just saying.

And don't think I target people or go out of my way to find the frauds and wannabes; like I have that kind of time? People I question, present their fraudulent selves when they go overboard with their stories and their ego begins to run amok. They out themselves. So don't blame me because they run their mouths, and people look, tilt their heads, and I just happen to be the one to question their story and intent. It's always just a matter of time before I or someone else starts in with the questions. Always. Know it.

Jay Tavare -- Random photos from ill-conceived photoshoots he likely concocted. He proudly posted, and keeps re-posting each one of this photos. 

Questions arise when there are signs that what the ethnic frauds and wannabes are saying don't add up. When it is apparent, they know the song, but not the words. When their story starts sounding like a scene from a movie or something we've seen on t.v.

Ethnic frauds and wannabes forget we've seen the same movies they are championing for their new identity. They also seem to be blind to the fact that we are living the lives they are trying to mimic. We are neither stupid nor blind - we see.

I just ask questions about tribe, family, parents - the usual stuff we ask each other. The answers are always in the blaring volatile and indignant NON-answers.

Here's the deal.

Stay in your own lane and we will not have a problem. Get some integrity and dignity people and be who you were born to be. Lying about being American Indian won't end well for you, trust that. That act is tired, and we are sick of it. It is called ethnic fraud.

Our lives, our stories, our pain, struggles, survival and knack for adapting using our intrinsic strengths. None of that is for you to take free willy nilly because the mood strikes you, or you caught a whiff of the sage burning and caught the "fever." We are not a costume you put on because you do not like the skin you were born. It does not work that way.

I was born an Okanogan and Lakes Indian, Colville Tribes, from the Colville Indian Reservation. I was Indian when it was not cool to be Indian; I've been laughed at and ridiculed because I am Indian, I have been present when, I and we, have been the butt of jokes. Nevertheless, I remain an Indian and I am proud. I'll be Indian until I die. I am a Colville Indian 24/7, 365 days a year. Sometimes I'm Indian 24/7, 366 days a year - if it's a leap year.

So if people want to say I have black heart because I call bull on the ethnic frauds and their fraudulent ways, so be it. If you are mad because I see through you and can see that you feel flute music is your cue to take on our identity, fraudulently, so be it.

Ethnic frauds and wannabes are part of the problem and not the solution. They have zero understanding of our unique relationship with the U.S. Government. Most frauds and wannabes can't spell sovereignty let alone define it, describe it, or have an intelligent conversation about how they and their actions threaten it. Taking on the identity of being American Indian is not like saying "Oh I am Irish or Italian." It is more complicated than that. To do so, is fraudulent.

These people want to be Indian?

The reality is that nothing that would make the ethnic frauds and wannabes drop their facades faster than telling them "You want to be Indian? Ok, guess what, we are going back in time, and you will start life over on the rez as an Indian."

If we told them, "You are going to go live out in the middle of nowhere on the rez with the people," and followed it up with, "Oh, by the way, on the rez, the people...they do not give two turds about how important you think you are." Bink!

It would play out like a can of bug spray killing a cockroach except it'd be "Facade be gone! Poof. Bye, bye."

Remove the so-called "new age," mystical," "sage, wise...one with the nature" "fame," and "money" factors these people have concocted in their minds as "cool" based on superficial stereotypes - it will be game over.

Strip them of all their romance novel fantasized notions and replace them with truth and reality, and they'll pick a different ethnicity and culture to hi-jack, I guarantee it.

What are warm fuzzies to us: what is home and what we know, honor, and love would be pure hell for the ethnic frauds and wannabe. Their version is a sissy fantasy; they could not handle being Indian. They do not have the strength of character, foundation based on respect, understand the meaning of honor, and just aren't tough enough.

They can call me a black heart, say I am unkind and a hateful person. However, at the end of the day, this is what sets me apart from my haters. This is not based on ego or being a braggart it is based on the way things are.

I know who I am and where I come from, for generations and generations. I am a for the people worker, nothing I do is self-serving. I do not come from a place of ego; I never have - I was not raised that way. In everything I do, I keep in mind those who have come before me, and those who will come in behind me- that is how I was raised.

I have a whole family and tribe that I represent, and I keep that in mind, as well, in everything I do. If I embarrass myself, I embarrass my family and my people. My tribe does not disown me.

Can ethnic frauds say the same since they are dishonest about who they are? Can you say the same if you are guilty of supporting someone who is lying about who they are?

These people say I have no honor, but where is the honor in what they do or are doing?

Being an ethnic fraud, or supporting one by looking the other way and supporting them - there is no honor in that. Calling me a black heart but looking the other way when people are lying about their American Indian background -- there is no honor in that.

Posted by  Michelle R. Hall Shining Elk     at  5:26 PM       

Michelle R. Hall Shining Elk  I am an enrolled member of the Colville Tribes (Okanogan + Arrow Lakes) and grew up on the Colville Indian Reservation in northeastern Washington State, it is the only place I call home. www.colvilletribes.com I am driven by challenges and motivated by self-determination. I work as a casting director, talent developer, publicist, and marketing consultant for American Indian individuals, businesses, organizations, and tribes. I advocate for the care and safety of our elders and the nurturing and development of our youth. As an American Indian activist, I oppose stereotypes, ethnic frauds and cultural appropriation - feeling Indian in your heart doesn't make it so. If you are going to claim American Indian for the benefit of publicity, work, fans and money to appropriate our history and culture. Then, I guarantee you will come to hate me, American Indian #EthnicFrauds you are a huge part of the problem. Know it! ::: DISCLAIMER: The random thoughts and content of this blog are my own and do not reflect the views of anyone else. Not my family, tribe, friends, clients, associates, or the little dog.