Author Topic: Great Sioux Nation Chairman/Presidents list  (Read 11232 times)

Offline earthw7

• Standing Rock Tourism
Great Sioux Nation Chairman/Presidents list
« on: May 26, 2008, 10:19:25 am »
Here is the corrected list 2008:

Oglala Lakota
President John Steele
Oglala Sioux Tribal Council
P.O. Box H
Pine Ridge, SD 57770
P: 605/867-5821
F: 605/867-5659

Rosebud
Rodney M. Bordeaux - Tribal President
Rosebud Sioux Tribal Council
P.O. Box 430
Rosebud, SD 57570
P: 605/747-2381
F: 605/747-2243

Lower Brule
Micheal B. Jandreau, Chairman
Lower Brule Sioux Tribal Council
P.O. Box 187
Lower Brule, SD 57548
P: 605/473-5561
F: 605/473-5606

Cheyenne River
Joe Brings Plenty, Sr.
Cheyenne River Sioux Tribal Council
P.O. Box 590
Eagle Butte, SD 57625
P: 605/964-4155

Standing Rock
Ron His Horse Is Thunder
Standing Rock Sioux Tribe
Standing Rock Administration Service Center
Building No. 1
North Standing Rock Ave.
Fort Yates, ND 58538
701-854-7201
www.standingrock.org

Flandeau
Joshua Weston
Flandreau Santee Sioux
P.O. Box 283, 603 W. Broad Avenue
Flandreau, South Dakota 57028
605/997-3891
1-888-922-0016
fax:605/997-3878
info@fsst.org

Sisseton/Wahpeton
Mike Selvage
PO Box 509
Agency Village, SD 57262-0509
Phone (605) 698-3911
Fax (605) 698-3708

Yankton
Robert Cournoyer
PO Box 248
Marty, SD 57361-0248
Phone (605) 384-3641
Fax (605) 384-5687

Crow Creek
Lester Thompson, Jr.
Chairman-Elect: Brandon Sazue, Sr.
PO Box 50
Ft. Thompson, SD 57339-0050
Phone (605) 245-2221
Fax (605) 245-2470

Spirit Lake
Myra Pearson
Spirit Lake Dakotah Nation
PO Box 359 Fort Totten, ND 58335
Phone: (701) 766-4221
Fax: (701) 766-4261

Lower Sioux Reservation
(507) 697-6185

Prairie Island Reservation
(612) 385-2554.

Shakopee Mdewakanton Reservation
(952) 445-8900.

Upper Sioux Reservation
(320) 564-3853

In Spirit

Offline tahcha_sapa

Re: Great Sioux Nation Chairman/Presidents list
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2008, 12:54:49 pm »
So cool! Thanks! A Lakota-subject/topic organization would be very helpful to those of us who wish to either update info on individuals or subjects. Currently, as an example, the topics are listed chronologically, rather than by a Lakota-specific category which would also be very helpful.

Offline Cetan

• Hoka Hey

Offline tahcha_sapa

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2008, 10:21:45 pm »
Check out this forum - moderated by Earth 7
Apparently I wasn't very clear that I meant this NAFPS message board rather than any other message board or forum. I checked out that site and the Lakota are listed as a subgroup of Dakota. Lakota and Dakota issues, like their dialects, are distinctive from each other. It is misleading at worst and an unintentional error at best to categorize them together. I believe that NAFPS could provide a very useful service to serious researchers of Lakota-related issues by classifying these Lakota-specific topics and subjects in one category. 

Offline earthw7

• Standing Rock Tourism
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2008, 10:37:14 pm »
I am both Lakota/Dakota and Nakota I find things the same in all three groups.
My mother is Hunkpapa/Blackfeet and Oglala
My Father is Yanktonais, Sisseton, Cuthead

I like to find a balance with all the groups, the major difference is the dialects

In Spirit

Offline tahcha_sapa

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2008, 11:39:33 pm »
I like to find a balance with all the groups, the major difference is the dialects
The problem is that the histories are substantially different. Another problem lies in classifying one group as a subgroup of another, when, in fact, it's a distinction that may exist in only one's mind. The Lakota are no more a subgroup of the Dakota than are the Dakota a subgroup of the Nakota: let's say, no matter how many times a Nakota may say that it is so.
Distinctions exist for a purpose, and unilaterally ignoring distinctions can only create misleading or confusing situations.

Offline earthw7

• Standing Rock Tourism
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2008, 01:16:46 am »
can you show me historically?
In Spirit

Offline tahcha_sapa

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2008, 11:42:21 am »
I'm not trying to be contentious about this issue. If you don't know your history, it's not my responsibility to educate you or anyone else about their own histories. It's one's own responsibility. It's a choice, in this sense. But I can point out a fact that may not be obvious to those who know nothing about the Oyate and who believe that the Dakota-Lakota-Nakota are one homogenous group whose differences exist only on a dialectical level: the Dakota lived along the Missouri river by choice. The Titunwa (Lakota) were always plains dwellers by choice. The Lakota believed that it was an unhealthy lifestyle to live in permanent dwellings, fish and grow crops as the Dakota did, because that lifestyle was the same as the Pawnee and Ponca -- two groups who practiced human sacrifice, a behavior associated with agrarian cultures, and who cast themselves in the roles of enemies of the Oyate.
The Lakota moved their reservations away from the Missouri river in order to isolate themselves from what was perceived to be a corruptive influence: trade and association with white people. However, the Dakota -- whose luminaries include Delorias, christians --  adopted and advocated the customs, beliefs and lifestyles of the white culture.
This forum here, NAFPS, could provide a helpful service to those who wish to research Lakota-specific topics and subjects. As it is, the current search format option can return false negatives when those subjects are not specifically related to a Lakota-specific subject or topic.

Offline earthw7

• Standing Rock Tourism
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2008, 06:06:24 pm »
I'm not trying to be contentious about this issue. If you don't know your history, it's not my responsibility to educate you or anyone else about their own histories. It's one's own responsibility. It's a choice, in this sense. But I can point out a fact that may not be obvious to those who know nothing about the Oyate and who believe that the Dakota-Lakota-Nakota are one homogenous group whose differences exist only on a dialectical level: the Dakota lived along the Missouri river by choice. The Titunwa (Lakota) were always plains dwellers by choice. The Lakota believed that it was an unhealthy lifestyle to live in permanent dwellings, fish and grow crops as the Dakota did, because that lifestyle was the same as the Pawnee and Ponca -- two groups who practiced human sacrifice, a behavior associated with agrarian cultures, and who cast themselves in the roles of enemies of the Oyate.
The Lakota moved their reservations away from the Missouri river in order to isolate themselves from what was perceived to be a corruptive influence: trade and association with white people. However, the Dakota -- whose luminaries include Delorias, christians --  adopted and advocated the customs, beliefs and lifestyles of the white culture.
This forum here, NAFPS, could provide a helpful service to those who wish to research Lakota-specific topics and subjects. As it is, the current search format option can return false negatives when those subjects are not specifically related to a Lakota-specific subject or topic.

I am too old to fight with anyone. Yes i know my history. I also know the culture is different as well as the language. This post was just for addresses of people so that they can get a hold of the different tribes.
There is no reason why you can't make separate post on the Lakota/Dakota and Nakota.

My Lakota side Hunkpapa and Blackfeet and Oglala,
My relatives are from Wakpala, Kenel have lived along the Missouri River, my relatives from Little Eagle and Bullhead live along the Grand River. Of course my Oglala side is from Pine Ridge in the Wambli district.  I live on Standing Rock.
My other side is Nakota-Yanktonais, which are from the Jamestown Valley not the Missouri River who were taken as prisoner of war after the Whitestone Massacre in 1863 to Fort Randall, then released in 1973 to the new reservation Standing Rock Sioux Tribe here. They were given communities along the Cannon Ball River. My Sisseton Blood are the from the South Dakota and Minnsota line.  Not on the Missouri River.
The Oglala first reservation was in Nebraska, then the Brules demand to have their own reservation and removed their self from the Oglala along the Nebraska/South Dakota bordor, the Pine Ridge reservation was establish four time before it was established in the present day reservation.
The Oglala being the largest group moved into the Nebraska area in 1650 from southern Minnesota and Iowa, the Hunkpapa broke off them in about 1725 and moved north, the Blackfeet band was already living in the north along the Moreau river, the Brules broke off in 1870s.
I love history and have been reading winter counts of the Lakota/Dakota/Nakota Tribes. To find out when the bands were created. I have compiled alot of history of our nations.
Since i mixed with all the bands i tend to stay netrual in these band/nation fights.
Oh Deloria was Yanktonias not Dakota
« Last Edit: May 29, 2008, 03:02:41 pm by earthw7 »
In Spirit

Offline Kevin

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2008, 12:30:46 pm »
That looks like a pretty comprehensive list to me.

Offline earthw7

• Standing Rock Tourism
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2008, 03:05:58 pm »
I just love the history of our people

There are FOUR branches of Sioux Indians, with each being comprised of different bands:
I. Teton Sioux (Lakota) -- The Western Sioux-speak Lakota (L)
(bands)
1) Oglala
2) Brule (Sicangu)
3) Hunkpapa
4) Miniconjou
5) Oohenonpa
6) Itazipco (Sans Arcs)
7) Sihasapa
2) Wahpeton
3) Wahpekute
4) Mdewkanton
(bands)
1) Yanktonai
2) Hunkpatina
3) Assiniboine
In Spirit

Offline Kevin

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2008, 06:12:17 pm »
That's some good info there, earthw7. I had heard of all the Lakotas and the Sisseton and Whapeton bands but not the others.

Which bands were at the front when they rose up against the squatters/settlers in Minnesota back in the 1860s? I seem to recall Little Crow was one of the head men when they fought back that time.

Offline earthw7

• Standing Rock Tourism
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2008, 12:09:05 am »
II. Santee Sioux (Dakota) -- The Eastern Sioux speak Dakota (D)
(bands)
1) Sisseton
2) Wahpeton
3) Wahpekute
4) Mdewkanton

These are the groups who fought for their lives, and many ended up as prisoner of war, many died in the war camps, plus the 38 that were hung by Lincoln
In Spirit

Offline Kevin

« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2008, 09:18:31 pm »
I see by the local paper that the Mdewakanton have bought 125 acres of land up by Prior Lake, Minn and they are returning the land to its original prairie state. The article said they hope to restore 450 acres to its original state down around the Twin Cities. That will bring gophers and badgers in for sure, some hawks, etc  Some of them hawks that move in might even nest in the Twin Cities high up on some of the tall buildings.

frederica

« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2008, 11:50:26 pm »
"Beating them at their own game".                        http://www.newsweek.com/id/139090